Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

Why?

I've never understood objectives of such strategy, and always suspected it is more of PR tool (we are better than your stop watch is telling you), than anything of practical use. The team, methinks, needs to establish their performance baseline, formulate countermeasures, and balance those with planned developments. The only way to get it is to let it fly on full throttle.

Pre-season testing dates (Barcelona)
February 27 to March 2
March 7-10

A positive so far is hulkenberg has stated that these cars this year are really going to push the drivers limits as he prepares to race the fastest f1 cars he has ever raced.

Vettel crushed into a barrier at Fiorano during wet track testing. He has lost control, as car seemingly lost traction on warm up lap. Drivers criticized the warm-up characteristics of last year's Pirelli wets, and it might be big question mark how much better, if at all, it is going to be this year. It could have been driver's error as well, however from video on the internet his car (modified F15) appears to flick as they do when tires are cold without adhesion. Seb incurred some bruisers but hopefully will be OK.

AMuS is reporting that ambient temperatures were about 5 deg. C, and tires extremely cold. Car was smashed pretty good.

Car for lack of spare parts couldn't be repaired, so it is over for Fiorano wet test. Expected feedback from Vettel - I am guessing - is, we need warm up blankets back, or a different tire characteristics. I can't see driving 10 laps in the race behind a safety car anyone will like much. Seb procured some bruises, but otherwise is fine.

Anyone wants to predict how many cars in average will be finishing races this year?

It is interesting considering the alleged increase in speed the 2017 spec cars will have.  Warming up the tyres will be a huge issue but just who will be able to handle these quick new 'beasts' overall will be key. Personally, I think you can count them on one hand. Alonso, Massa, Verstappen, Hamilton and Ricci. The possibles are perhaps Vettel, Bottas, Perez and the Hulk. The rest may struggle. Button, a veteran of the big lump era is around if the learning curve is too steep for Stoffy. I certainly see a pile of carbon wreckage at the first few races for sure. It's a whole new ball game and the simulators will have been working overtime. Pirelli will certainly have to up their game. 

F1 Rule changes refresher in nutshell.

Scanning internet yields nothing more than confusion and disagreements. From data sheets made available to Pirelli in support of their development (Hemb.) feedback we received - some teams seems very close in performance, some others will not be. (Very clever answer).

1 Vettel Ferrari   1m22.791s
2 Bottas Mercedes   1m23.169s
3 Perez Force India   1m23.835s
4 Massa Williams   1m25.879s
5 Hulkenberg Renault   1m26.319s
6 Magnussen Haas   1m26.404s
7 Sainz Toro Rosso   1m26.726s
8 Ericsson Sauber   1m27.710s
9 Ricciardo Red Bull   1m28.712s
  Hamilton Mercedes   No time
  Alonso McLaren   No time

Last updated: 12:21

1 Massa Williams   1m22.727s
2 Vettel Ferrari   1m22.791s
3 Bottas Mercedes   1m23.169s
4 Hamilton Mercedes   1m23.398s
5 Perez Force India   1m23.709s
6 Sainz Toro Rosso   1m25.206s
7 Magnussen Haas   1m25.260s
8 Hulkenberg Renault   1m25.966s
9 Ericsson Sauber   1m26.865s
10 Ricciardo Red Bull   1m27.881s
  Alonso McLaren   No time

Last updated: 15:21

Massa on soft tires. Vettel's time was on medium this morning.

1 Hamilton Mercedes 1m21.765s

2 Massa Williams 1m22.076s

3 Vettel Ferrari 1m22.236s

Vettel's time on medium towards end of their useable cycle, whereas Massa and Hamilton on fresh soft ones.

1 Hamilton Mercedes   1m21.765s
2 Vettel Ferrari   1m21.878s
3 Massa Williams   1m22.076s
4 Magnussen Haas   1m22.894s
5 Ricciardo Red Bull   1m22.926s
6 Bottas Mercedes   1m23.169s
7 Perez Force India   1m23.709s
8 Sainz Toro Rosso   1m24.494s
9 Hulkenberg Renault   1m24.784s
10 Alonso McLaren   1m24.852s
11 Ericsson Sauber   1m26.841s

Last updated: 17:57

Seb was whole day on a medium grade tire, Hamilton on soft.
Haas - impressive result in dying minute.
Renault, Honda... they need time to iron out quirks after massive changes to their PU system. Not all is lost (yet) IMO anyway.

Ferrari - one driver 128 laps.
Mercedes - combined for two drivers 152 laps.

Driver Team Time Gap  Tyre Laps
1 united_kingdom-2.jpg L. Hamilton Mercedes.png Mercedes 1:21.765   s.png 73
2 germany-4.jpg S. Vettel Ferrari.png Ferrari 1:21.878 0.113 m.png 128
3 brazil-2.jpg F. Massa Williams.png Williams 1:22.076 0.311 s.png 103
4 denmark-2.jpg K. Magnussen Haas.png Haas 1:23.894 1.129 s.png 51
6 australia-2.jpg D. Ricciardo RedBullSTR.png Red Bull 1:22.926 1.161 s.png 50
5 finland-2.jpg V. Bottas Mercedes.png Mercedes 1:23.169 1.404 s.png 79
7 mexico-2.jpg S. Perez ForceIndia.png Force India 1:23.709 1.944 s.png 39
8 spain-2.jpg C. Sainz ToroRosso.png Toro Rosso 1:24.494 2.729 m.png 51
9 germany-4.jpg N. Hülkenberg Renault.png Renault 1:24.784 3.019 m.png 57
10 spain-2.jpg F. Alonso McLaren.png McLaren 1:24.852 3.087 s.png 29
11 sweden-2.jpg M. Ericsson Sauber.png Sauber 1:26.841 5.076 m.png 72

(Table) Courtesy - motosport.com

Bottas v. Hamilton - work in progress, but rather depressing by the end of first day. Surely track temp changed, but still, gap is little more than it should (or could) have been.

Afternoon Hamilton 0.113 on softs over Vettel on medium, morning Bottas 0.378 adrift to Vettel, while also on softs.

Looks like only Mercedes, Williams and Ferrari had a reasonable first day. Bottas claimed that they did not care about speed, but I find hard to believe that. We have another 7 days to go.

Thanks for posting the results, Iam looking at the cars side on and its going to take a lot less time to feel "normal" watching these cars compared to the shakeup in 2009. I think it took me half a season before I didn't realise how ugly those cars were.

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

Thanks for posting the results, Iam looking at the cars side on and its going to take a lot less time to feel "normal" watching these cars compared to the shakeup in 2009. I think it took me half a season before I didn't realise how ugly those cars were.

They really need to ban those shark fins! It does'nt even help with earo, or little help at all. All it helps with is with o vertaking

Plus I actually liked the facts that the teams have come up witg different solutions... the way it should be. Different solutions to sidepods, wheelbases, bargeboard etc. The championship is going to be determined with development, which RBR excels at I feel

About one-tenth off the track record in 2008 (this configuration debuted then), which, being winter testing rather than qualifying is pretty impressive.

As for the new car aesthetics, I love everything EXCEPT the noses.  Those noses on all but the Mercedes and Toro Rosso are godawful.  I hope the Mercedes dominates just so people copy the snout. ?

Stop this farce! F1 is not the aesthetic sport it used to be anymore. Bring back the beauty of yore!

4c1bb8830dc7e8cc075d7d90a53c8b71.jpg

1 hour ago, Quiet One said:

Stop this farce! F1 is not the aesthetic sport it used to be anymore. Bring back the beauty of yore!

4c1bb8830dc7e8cc075d7d90a53c8b71.jpg

Just becoz Mclaren had another off-day (what's new)... does'nt mean you have to drag us down to the low depths of depression. :PThank you very much for your valuable contribution

6 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

They really need to ban those shark fins! It does'nt even help with earo, or little help at all. All it helps with is with o vertaking

Well I was watching a ted kravitz pit interview and apparently the fia could be looking into banning the shark fins and the t wings some teams are running.

9 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Plus I actually liked the facts that the teams have come up witg different solutions... the way it should be. Different solutions to sidepods, wheelbases, bargeboard etc. The championship is going to be determined with development, which RBR excels at I feel

That's generally accepted explanation why Ferrari slid backwards last year. After promising start a few organizational changes and broken development were credited with disaster that followed, ending with P3 instead P1.