Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

Interesting...very interesting...

10:56 Vettel goes second now with a 1m22.992s, just a tenth shy of Bottas (ultra-soft), on medium tyres.

10:57 Now the Ferrari driver is fastest, a 1m22.486s putting him three tenths up on Bottas.

10:59 Another improvement by Vettel, a 1m22.222s. We're slowly edging towards our benchmark time set by Raikkonen yesterday, which was a 1m20.960s.

This is not a low-fuel run folks

31 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I10:59 Another improvement by Vettel, a 1m22.222s. We're slowly edging towards our benchmark time set by Raikkonen yesterday, which was a 1m20.960s.

Seb until now this morning still was on medium, whereas Kimi's time you quoted was on soft rubber.  I am not sure right now whether we can continue to evaluate tire grades in the same way as in the past. Red flag for me are Ferrari times on medium, which are very competitive with W08 shod with S or SS tires. Is that normal?

As track warming up, top speed are slowly creeping up. 281 for Seb at this hour. I am not sure what RB13 is testing, but Kvyat is trying to embarrass them (lol), and so far so good for him.

I think Ferrari is just pushing abit more, since it's the last day of the first test.... opening up the wick abit. 

They are very cautious this year, which I think is excellent strategy

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think Ferrari is just pushing abit more, since it's the last day of the first test.... opening up the wick abit. 

They are very cautious this year, which I think is excellent strategy

Could be, but if they are planning race sim, now is time to do that. Seb logged only 27 lap so far.

So there's about a second between the compounds...

12:29 And Bottas improves the fastest time of the day to a 1m20.107s. That's an improvement of a second. He's on soft Pirellis.

12:54 ...and we have our first sub-1m20s lap of the test. Bottas posts a 1m19.838s using super-softs.

10 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

So there's about a second between the compounds...

12:29 And Bottas improves the fastest time of the day to a 1m20.107s. That's an improvement of a second. He's on soft Pirellis.

SS is supposed to be fastest tire right? I've just now overheard one commentator to say (sounding to me) pretty weird thing, that Mercedes still has two faster tires to test, yet they so far were continuously either on S or SS rubber. Ferrari, in contrast, mostly on M. 

4 minutes ago, Sakae said:

SS is supposed to be fastest tire right? I've just now overheard one commentator to say (sounding to me) pretty weird thing, that Mercedes still has two faster tires to test, yet they so far were either on S or SS rubber. Ferrari, in contrast, mostly on M. 

There's an ultra-soft

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

There's an ultra-soft

Right, I forgot about that one.

I will never forgive current F1 for allowing this guy to become a WDC. Liuzzi deserved it more.

Sin título.png

Looks like Williams decided to test some pebbles as well. Stroll and Palmers, hand in hand...

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

It's easy to see why you a Vettel fan.... They share the same qualities... Prost and Vettel. Masters of precision and speed

:mellow:

Hope Ferrari get of to a good start this year as well as many as we want as many as possible fighting for wins. Ferrari has to turn it around at some point don't they? There luck has to change,this is there best chance in a long while to be competitive first race in and be the ones to catch. Car looks good, looks beautiful, both drivers are refreshed and raring to go and everything seems to be going good in testing so far so the recipe is there, just need the luck. Iam not a Vettel fan, but respect him as a driver and same for kimi but I think it would be a lie to say that real  f1 fans 

They always do but don't they? Just wonder how quick and how competitive Mercedes actually is, I don't think there as quick as we have seen this time over the past few years but again, we don't know anyone's test programs. But I hope your right brad and we get Redbull up there but I also hope we see more than just one or two teams winning and fighting for championships, I think we are all over that s##te.

I was looking at that RBR car again this morning. What a beauty! It has to compete somehow, it will be a sin if it does'nt, plus you have 2 excellent drivers pushing each other

Brad's Pecking order...

suspecting might have Merc 0,2 sec advantage over Ferrari, if not level. RBR  further 0,3 - 0,4 behind

15:25 Watching this morning, the Ferrari looked planted at every corner I went to. The Mercedes when doing quick runs on new tyres also looked pretty good, but when on longer runs or on softer tyres looked a bit fidgety and was moving around a bit. The Mercedes seems to have more understeer than the Ferrari, because it seems to show more front wheel on turn in because of the extra steering lock. So it looks like Ferrari has a better front end, which bodes very well for when it runs the new tyres, because you need a good front end to get the lap time.

Gary Anderson

Ferrari still needs to commit to full race run and pit stop practice. I don't think it will be all happening in 2.1 sec anymore. (They should do it today, IMO).

In terms of soft compounds - is Ferrari considering testing of those compounds as waste of time, seeing how durable rubber is after Mercedes's runs? 

Stroll has been assigned extra homework (and do more duties, after seeing him wobbly on the track). Sounds like he could be first victim of new rules.

Mid afternoon results:

1. fi.png Bottas Mercedes W08 1:19.705   75 PIT
2. de.png Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:20.572 +0.867 82 PIT
3. au.png Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 1:21.153 +1.448 67 PIT
4. gb.png Palmer Renault RS17 1:21.396 +1.691 51 PIT
5. se.png Ericsson Sauber C36 1:21.824 +2.119 68

BTW Bottas had his time logged on Ultra Soft rubber, whereas Vettel on Soft.

DRIVER MAX SPEED  
1. ca.png Stroll 288 0
2. de.png Vettel 287.2 0
3. gb.png Palmer 283.4 0
4. se.png Ericsson 282.7 0
5. fi.png Bottas 281.9