Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

Least we will be a step closer to sorting out the pecking order.

Has Hamilton lied to get out from today's driving duties? These are legitimate questions after he made some declarations that he will not run in wet. Pieced together, whole communication between him and media, just as team's PR is rather inconsistent. Bottas was supposed to run after lunch, yet he had to get on the track before lunch, because Hamilton instead waiting for car to be handed over, just bugger off. This is rather weird.  

You would want as much time as possible in a new car I would thougjt

7 hours ago, Emmcee said:

You would want as much time as possible in a new car I would thougjt

I just want an equal battle with Merc, Ferrari and RBR. That would make for a really fantastic season for us F1 fans

Williams is facing challenging times. They need Massa in c#ckpit to verify there is nothing wrong with the car.

After 4 days of testing, I think it is fair to say that Ferrari is going to be competitive and is closer to Merc

1 minute ago, Sakae said:

Williams is facing challenging times. They need Massa in c#ckpit to verify there is nothing wrong with the car.

Agree. Massa is definitively a plus during this times 

RBR must have run massively\y detuned engine, or Verstappen was slow on the same tire in comparison to Kimi. I am not sure how else the gap could be explained.

I've seen a short video on closing time of testing by Sky (British), and at the end I was left with impression that they think RBR is heavily sandbagging, while Mercedes can shift another two gears up in terms of engine power, and nothing about Ferrari other than recollection of disappointments from the past. So, at the end where is the deep inside by so called experts? High degree of prejudice at the level of a high school fan, but nothing new.  Autosport has Gary Anderson who liked red cars on the track, however rest of them are playing it safe with wishy washy comments covering bases.

Next week is a moment of truth. Race sims and Qualifications tests; at least for some. I am not clear as yet how is FI planning to take P3 in WCC, but that's their plan, says the overweight guy at the top. We might see a better season than last year, methinks.

All Ferrari need to do is sort out their strategies better. They lost about 3 races last year just on poor race strategy.

And IMO, sandbagging won't teach the team anything specially with new car/regulations. If RB is sandbagging, they are just delaying their improvements.

29 minutes ago, radical-one said:

All Ferrari need to do is sort out their strategies better. They lost about 3 races last year just on poor race strategy.

And IMO, sandbagging won't teach the team anything specially with new car/regulations. If RB is sandbagging, they are just delaying their improvements.

Y're a wise man, radical-one san. Seems obvious, yet they are feeding us different stories and keeping their fans in falsehood, that better times are yet to come. For example Newey traversed from "weird looking" Ferrari on lunch day to I do not understand it well as yet just as of yesterday.  Mess with Alison and perhaps not so happy design slowed upgrades last year, and that's where P2 got lost.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Y're a wise man, radical-one san. Seems obvious, yet they are feeding us different stories and keeping their fans in falsehood, that better times are yet to come. For example Newey traversed from "weird looking" Ferrari on lunch day to I do not understand it well as yet just as of yesterday.  Mess with Alison and perhaps not so happy design slowed upgrades last year, and that's where P2 got lost.

Yep and if sandbagging is still a common practice, then we can all assume the Ferrari hasn't shown all their potentials either.

At least it's all more interesting than last year, for now.

We also don't have a true sense of reliability also yet do we?

If we considered true state of affairs, and I tentatively say this... everyone else but Ferrari, based on first testing. Remember Ferrari wss fuel testing when they stopped near pits end of day

I do not care what anyone says about testing and how little it means, but I like what I see.

f1-barcelona-pre-season-testing-i-2017-b

courtesy of motorsport.com

Can't decide if the RB looks more like dolphin or whales with tails, so dont tell me that I do not pay attention. Is TR in trouble?

Mercedes has done the most miles and laps I think, so them focussing on longer runs, so bottas driving the new car in the new team getting to see how everything works for the first time set the fastest lap in all of testing, yeah on the US but that can be his compensation for having to get to grips with more than just a new car.

Regarding Bottas - is he that good adopting to a new car quickly, or the car is that good (and most likely anyone would perform well in his place)?

Well that's the question Iam wondering Sakae. IMHO I feel the Mercedes is somewhat not where they have been the past two seasons. Well they are, just I feel Redbull and specifically Ferrari have closed the gap. I think bottas is ready to drive a car capable of winning quite often. The good thing about these new regs is it could possible give a team a chance of winning and hp not having to be the main ingredient, already this ups the chance of a non Mercedes victory by atleast 50%. Teams can now mask issues with other things that they weren't allowed to touch before and this opens up a whole new side to the sport, who did the best job gaining speed on the alternative side to hp.

Some rumored figures (s. internet): last year

Mercedes were 950 to 960 [HP]
Ferrari 935 
Renault 930
Honda 900 to 910

Rumor also has it, that teams like Mercedes and Ferrari, broke (at peak) 1000 threshold this year. In the past - from memory - most drivable engine used to be Renault.

Listen, I admire you guys' optimism for a better, closer season, and I also hope there will be plenty of close action to enjoy. However, DO NOT READ TOO MUCH INTO TESTING LAPTIMES!!! None of us have any idea what the teams are testing (sensors, aerodynamics, power units, suspension loads etc etc) to make any kind of intelligent judgement on the pecking order, let alone the gaps between the teams.. We have no idea how much fuel the cars are carrying, what engine mode they run, differential, battery charging mode etc.. There are far, far too many variables to make predictions now. The name of the game right now is reliability and mileage and not outright performance. Right now its all about making sure every component of the car works well, individually and together!

Horsepower and downforce are worth equal lap time according to Adrian Newey, 1% of either gives the same gain in speed, however it is easier to find 1% horsepower than downforce, which makes engine power still of vital importance. Look at the RB (initial guise, I know, fully expecting more bits on it before OZ) slippery and sleek, not much on it presently, especially the rear of the car, which Is reportedly to help it partner with the slightly less powerful Renault engine by creating less drag.

On 5 March 2017 at 4:36 PM, Sakae said:

Some rumored figures (s. internet): last year

Mercedes were 950 to 960 [HP]
Ferrari 935 
Renault 930
Honda 900 to 910

Rumor also has it, that teams like Mercedes and Ferrari, broke (at peak) 1000 threshold this year. In the past - from memory - most drivable engine used to be Renault.

Renault was tops in the 90s but it's been Mercedes since 1998 I think.

On 5 March 2017 at 9:03 PM, Unknown? said:

Listen, I admire you guys' optimism for a better, closer season, and I also hope there will be plenty of close action to enjoy. However, DO NOT READ TOO MUCH INTO TESTING LAPTIMES!!! None of us have any idea what the teams are testing (sensors, aerodynamics, power units, suspension loads etc etc) to make any kind of intelligent judgement on the pecking order, let alone the gaps between the teams.. We have no idea how much fuel the cars are carrying, what engine mode they run, differential, battery charging mode etc.. There are far, far too many variables to make predictions now. The name of the game right now is reliability and mileage and not outright performance. Right now its all about making sure every component of the car works well, individually and together!

Horsepower and downforce are worth equal lap time according to Adrian Newey, 1% of either gives the same gain in speed, however it is easier to find 1% horsepower than downforce, which makes engine power still of vital importance. Look at the RB (initial guise, I know, fully expecting more bits on it before OZ) slippery and sleek, not much on it presently, especially the rear of the car, which Is reportedly to help it partner with the slightly less powerful Renault engine by creating less drag.

BOOM!!!

thats the points I've been trying to get accros. Redbull might have a game changer up there sleeves and don't want to give it away yet.