Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

15 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

BOOM!!!

thats the points I've been trying to get accros. Redbull might have a game changer up there sleeves and don't want to give it away yet.

Possibly, sure.

I don't see the conflict.

RBR has been doing well in testing. There is no reason for them not to do well later on.

In fact, having seen what we've seen and precisely because of what we've seen, they are actually quite likely to do well.

I'm starting to suspect that all this jazz is because you are somewhat biased regarding RBR. This is about Ricciardo, ain't it? It's cool. I get it. I too hope he gives us a fight, particularly in regards to Verstappen. On that issue, unfortunately, we have zero data this far.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:03 PM, Unknown? said:

Listen, I admire you guys' optimism for a better, closer season, and I also hope there will be plenty of close action to enjoy. However, DO NOT READ TOO MUCH INTO TESTING LAPTIMES!!! None of us have any idea what the teams are testing (sensors, aerodynamics, power units, suspension loads etc etc) to make any kind of intelligent judgement on the pecking order, let alone the gaps between the teams.. We have no idea how much fuel the cars are carrying, what engine mode they run, differential, battery charging mode etc.. There are far, far too many variables to make predictions now. The name of the game right now is reliability and mileage and not outright performance. Right now its all about making sure every component of the car works well, individually and together!

Horsepower and downforce are worth equal lap time according to Adrian Newey, 1% of either gives the same gain in speed, however it is easier to find 1% horsepower than downforce, which makes engine power still of vital importance. Look at the RB (initial guise, I know, fully expecting more bits on it before OZ) slippery and sleek, not much on it presently, especially the rear of the car, which Is reportedly to help it partner with the slightly less powerful Renault engine by creating less drag.

This is common basic knowledge. Play it safe, its only testing. bulls##t!

Testing has told us who is (already) fast. A fast car is a fast car. Its as simple as that. Ferrari'speed on harder compounds has now prompted Merc to bring forward the WO8. Merc has had a rude awakening, even running with what you might call.... detuned engines. Apparently the engine showed flaws on the dyno http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/596833/Mercedes_brings_updated_W08_to_second_test/ Its the pace of the Ferrari that has prompted this.

Testing has showed us car behaviour. Trackside observing experts has observed how the Ferrari drivers leaned in the car, how they take apex's / corners, how well planted and grip the Ferrari has. Merc looked more ragged than the Ferrari when filled with fuel.

Testing has shown reliability. As noted, the only car that has'nt really had problems were the Ferrari, regardless of the miles the Merc has put in.

Despite doing the NESSASARY system checks, component checks, mileage running, the basic dna of the cars have been exposed. Weaknesses have been revealed, its why they test, all we need to do is lift the veil. I agree, the true state (Melbourne) will show us the true pecking form, but lets not be fooled into thinking testing really means nothing and the teams are running around in circles just checking components. This s##t about not reading too much into testing started in the early 2000's with Ferrari sandbagging then dominating.

Its not rocket science folks. I'm willing to bet we are going to have a good fight on our hands this season

2 hours ago, maure said:

Possibly, sure.

I don't see the conflict.

RBR has been doing well in testing. There is no reason for them not to do well later on.

In fact, having seen what we've seen and precisely because of what we've seen, they are actually quite likely to do well.

I'm starting to suspect that all this jazz is because you are somewhat biased regarding RBR. This is about Ricciardo, ain't it? It's cool. I get it. I too hope he gives us a fight, particularly in regards to Verstappen. On that issue, unfortunately, we have zero data this far.

No it's not mate, Iam just using the same ploy in my posts as the other biased members. I simply commented on a post about how "bland" the Redbull is and we all expected this out of this world design because of newey. THATS what makes me think all is not what it seems at Redbull. But call it how you want bro, just hope others biased opinions are just as transparent because they are to me. Could be worse if you want and only ever post stories on Ricciardo and Redbull like some do with Seb and Ferrari. As far as some are concerned there's only two cars in f1 and there both red.

2 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

No it's not mate, Iam just using the same ploy in my posts as the other biased members. I simply commented on a post about how "bland" the Redbull is and we all expected this out of this world design because of newey. THATS what makes me think all is not what it seems at Redbull. But call it how you want bro, just hope others biased opinions are just as transparent because they are to me.

Who says the RBR car looks bland? It's an earodynamic masterpiece, look at the car carefully. Their problem is still engine. RBR would be dominating if they the same firepower

It's bland as compared to the Ferrari,Mercedes and especially Mclaren. There not showing there full hand and for anyone to believe that what your seeing is solid eveidence is a complete joke. Would you run your car at full capacity when there is still tests to go before the first race? Hell no, and anyone who thinks that testing shows the truth is wrong. Yeah brad a fast car is a fast car but how do you know? Do you know every single car was running on full race spec and full race fuel? No, just speculating, which is sweet but I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, simply because I can't be bothered coming up with an excuse as to why I was wrong in pre season testing. No way on earth have we seen full capacity from anyone yet. Like alonso said, they had the time in the car to set lap times like Ferrari and Mercedes but that wasn't there agenda at that test. Ferrari could be 2 seconds quicker come Melbourne, Mercedes could be 3 or both could be even behind Redbull and even Mclaren, it's simply to early to say anything. We know Mercedes and Ferrari will be quick but we don't what order and by how much, that's the point Iam trying to make.

15 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

It's bland as compared to the Ferrari,Mercedes and especially Mclaren. There not showing there full hand and for anyone to believe that what your seeing is solid eveidence is a complete joke. Would you run your car at full capacity when there is still tests to go before the first race? Hell no, and anyone who thinks that testing shows the truth is wrong. Yeah brad a fast car is a fast car but how do you know? Do you know every single car was running on full race spec and full race fuel? No, just speculating, which is sweet but I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, simply because I can't be bothered coming up with an excuse as to why I was wrong in pre season testing. No way on earth have we seen full capacity from anyone yet. Like alonso said, they had the time in the car to set lap times like Ferrari and Mercedes but that wasn't there agenda at that test. Ferrari could be 2 seconds quicker come Melbourne, Mercedes could be 3 or both could be even behind Redbull and even Mclaren, it's simply to early to say anything. We know Mercedes and Ferrari will be quick but we don't what order and by how much, that's the point Iam trying to make.

Has anyone run full capacity on low fuel and showed their true colours? Merc with detuned engines, Ferrari with harder compounds... RBR? Dont know what they up to. It would be a joke if you really think that or to suggest anyone else has done just that. I'm talking about a car's inherent "intrinsic" nature, or shall I say... its personality. No one is foolish enough to actually think one of the top 3 has actually done just that

" Like alonso said, they had the time in the car to set lap times like Ferrari and Mercedes but that wasn't there agenda at that test. " ROFLMAO!!!!!!

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Has anyone run full capacity on low fuel and showed their true colours? Merc with detuned engines, Ferrari with harder compounds... RBR? Dont know what they up to. It would be a joke if you really think that or to suggest anyone else has done just that. I'm talking about a car's inherent "intrinsic" nature, or shall I say... its personality. No one is foolish enough to actually think one of the top 3 has actually done just that

" Like alonso said, they had the time in the car to set lap times like Ferrari and Mercedes but that wasn't there agenda at that test. " ROFLMAO!!!!!!

You mis interpreted my post brad, Iam exactly trying to say what you just did. Sure you can see SOME characteristics of what the car may be like but to sit here and say these guys are the ones to beat is a tad to premature IMHO. Especially this year with the shakeup we have had. There's more to Mclaren than we can see I think because apparently Mercedes and Ferrari are concerned on the ground Mclaren has made, they might not show it yet but Iam sure Ferrari and Mercedes well and truly know what there talking about, don't you?

2 hours ago, Emmcee said:

No it's not mate, Iam just using the same ploy in my posts as the other biased members. I simply commented on a post about how "bland" the Redbull is and we all expected this out of this world design because of newey. THATS what makes me think all is not what it seems at Redbull. But call it how you want bro, just hope others biased opinions are just as transparent because they are to me. Could be worse if you want and only ever post stories on Ricciardo and Redbull like some do with Seb and Ferrari. As far as some are concerned there's only two cars in f1 and there both red.

I don't know what you are talking about.

It's ok, though. No worries.

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

You mis interpreted my post brad, Iam exactly trying to say what you just did. Sure you can see SOME characteristics of what the car may be like but to sit here and say these guys are the ones to beat is a tad to premature IMHO. Especially this year with the shakeup we have had. There's more to Mclaren than we can see I think because apparently Mercedes and Ferrari are concerned on the ground Mclaren has made, they might not show it yet but Iam sure Ferrari and Mercedes well and truly know what there talking about, don't you?

There's nothing wrong with saying Mercs are the ones to beat? They're the champs. Im fascinated by the seemingly great progress that Ferrai made, after the low profile build-up. I really did not expect it. 

Concerning Mclaren. There's a headline where Boullier states that they are 3 years behind the top teams, did'nt read the full article tho. Mclaren always built a great chassis, but these last few years the engine had really de-stabilized them. Yeah, I'm stating the obvious... but of course they will make progress from midfield, they seem to in small increments. Its not enough to compete with the top teams. That's why I found that comment from Alonso really ridiculous, if he said that at all

Yeah I read what boullier said to and he said in the past you could compensate for power loss with a good chassis but today it's about deployment, recovery, saving energy so a good chassis doesn't do much good when it's a power formula, hopefully these regs help reduce that demand. 

Newey said that he likes to bring basic car aero to first test, to see how that works, and during last test he puts all aero parts on the car. This is Prodromu's way too.

Newey said that most complete aero car on track was merc at last test. So merc has different way to test.

Vettel is hungry for track time, and looks like he goes as fast as car permits him to do so.

Test 2 - after 1 hr

DRIVER TEAM CHASSIS TIME DIFF. #    
1. de.png Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:21.912   18  
2. br.png Massa Williams FW40 1:22.927 +1.015 17 PIT
3. fr.png Ocon Force India VJM10 1:23.772 +1.860 13 PIT
4. be.png Vandoorne McLaren MCL32 1:24.126 +2.214 16 PIT
5. gb.png Palmer Renault RS17 1:24.790 +2.878 9 PIT
6. gb.png Hamilton Mercedes W08 1:28.202 +6.290 8 PIT
7. ru.png Kvyat Toro Rosso STR12 1:28.215 +6.303 7 PIT
8. dk.png Magnussen Haas F1 VF-17 no time   8 PIT
9. de.png Wehrlein Sauber C36 no time   7 PIT
10. au.png Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 no time   6 PIT
11. fi.png Bottas Mercedes W08 no time   0 PIT
12. de.png Hülkenberg Renault RS17 no time   0 PIT

Top speeds reported - as last week - 270 - 280 [km/hr] 

After 2 hrs (Mercedes and RBR on soft), Vettel on M.

1. au.png Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 1:20.790   18 PIT
2. gb.png Hamilton Mercedes W08 1:21.080 +0.290 25  
3. de.png Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:21.321 +0.531 34  
4. br.png Massa Williams FW40 1:21.867 +1.077 30 PIT
5. be.png Vandoorne McLaren MCL32 1:22.698 +1.908 29 PIT
6. ru.png Kvyat Toro Rosso STR12 1:23.408 +2.618 20 PIT
7. fr.png Ocon Force India VJM10 1:23.751 +2.961 25  
8. dk.png Magnussen Haas F1 VF-17 1:24.004 +3.214 16 PIT
9. gb.png Palmer Renault RS17 1:24.790 +4.000 15 PIT
10. de.png Wehrlein Sauber C36 no time   11 PIT
11. fi.png Bottas Mercedes W08 no time   0 PIT
12. de.png Hülkenberg Renault RS17 no time   0 PIT

Ric in the Ballpark with what Merc and Ferrari has been doing.... great news, as expected...

“We were working on reliability and the tyres. The times were simply not representative,” he was quoted by the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

“In the coming week we will get a clearer picture as the teams will all have developments on the cars. And I think the (engine) power will also be turned up a bit,” the Australian smiled."

12:29 That 1m20.106s effort looks like a pretty decent lap from Ricciardo. As a reference, Bottas did a 1m20.107s best on soft Pirellis on day three of the first test, shortly before he broke into the 1m19s using super-soft then ultra-soft tyres - on what looked like basic performance runs from Mercedes. Allowing for unknowns such as relative fuel loads and engine modes, this is the closest thing we've seen so far to a like-for-like comparison between Mercedes and Red Bull, and the early results look encouraging.

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Ric in the Ballpark with what Merc and Ferrari has been doing.... great news, as expected...

“We were working on reliability and the tyres. The times were simply not representative,” he was quoted by the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

“In the coming week we will get a clearer picture as the teams will all have developments on the cars. And I think the (engine) power will also be turned up a bit,” the Australian smiled."

Whaaaat!?!?

What about all of last week data that we have?

4 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Whaaaat!?!?

What about all of last week data that we have?

Your sarcasm is noted. Mclaren is now the 6th best team, according to you assesment

4 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Your sarcasm is noted. Mclaren is now the 6th best team, according to you assesment

Well, they could be worse.

After 3 hrs - Vettel on M others at the top on S.

Vettel tops speed sheet 288 [km/hr]

1. au.png Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 1:20.077   29 PIT
2. br.png Massa Williams FW40 1:20.084 +0.007 50  
3. gb.png Hamilton Mercedes W08 1:20.456 +0.379 41  
4. de.png Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:21.136 +1.059 52 PIT
5. ru.png Kvyat Toro Rosso STR12 1:21.965 +1.888 30  
6. be.png Vandoorne McLaren MCL32 1:22.698 +2.621 34 PIT
7. dk.png Magnussen Haas F1 VF-17 1:23.374 +3.297 28 PIT
8. fr.png Ocon Force India VJM10 1:23.691 +3.614 36  
9. gb.png Palmer Renault RS17 1:24.790 +4.713 15 PIT
10. de.png Wehrlein Sauber C36 1:28.261 +8.184 21

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

After 3 hrs - Vettel on M others at the top on S.

Vettel tops speed sheet 288 [km/hr]

1. au.png Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 1:20.077   29 PIT
2. br.png Massa Williams FW40 1:20.084 +0.007 50  
3. gb.png Hamilton Mercedes W08 1:20.456 +0.379 41  
4. de.png Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:21.136 +1.059 52 PIT
5. ru.png Kvyat Toro Rosso STR12 1:21.965 +1.888 30  
6. be.png Vandoorne McLaren MCL32 1:22.698 +2.621 34 PIT
7. dk.png Magnussen Haas F1 VF-17 1:23.374 +3.297 28 PIT
8. fr.png Ocon Force India VJM10 1:23.691 +3.614 36  
9. gb.png Palmer Renault RS17 1:24.790 +4.713 15 PIT
10. de.png Wehrlein Sauber C36 1:28.261 +8.184 21