Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pre-season testing

19 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Are u following this guy's twitter page Sakae? Big Ferrari fan...

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

First time I see the Ferrari in action, it's growing on me. Handling looks really good... check out Seb's highlights of day 1

Yep, Gianluca is committed and informative young man.

7f7284ef-16a8-418d-830c-f1a49e9f9f81_800

Quite impressed by the Ferrari under braking so far. Vettel looked good yesterday and Raikkonen has looked quick and comfortable (when he's been trying) heading into Turn 1. Pic: LAT

Ben Anderson

ok...low fuel or not, this is bloody excellent!

15:48 Raikkonen moves to just 0.215s adrift of Hamilton's super-soft time with a 1m21.198s on his first attempt on this soft-tyre run.

Can't read too much into testing times boys, we all know this.. Who knows what engine modes they're running or fuel loads, battery settings etc. What you can only judge is reliability. Good to see Ferrari with an immediately reliable car. It's far too early to say they can beat the Mercs yet, who I fully believe to have an armful of performance stashed away, but right now it's not about lap time. Mileage and reliability are king at the first test.

18 minutes ago, Unknown? said:

Can't read too much into testing times boys, we all know this.. Who knows what engine modes they're running or fuel loads, battery settings etc. What you can only judge is reliability. Good to see Ferrari with an immediately reliable car. It's far too early to say they can beat the Mercs yet, who I fully believe to have an armful of performance stashed away, but right now it's not about lap time. Mileage and reliability are king at the first test.

Ja, we know. :P

But the car shows signs of speed, which is good. 

Going even faster....

16:17 This time Raikkonen beats Hamilton's super-soft time and puts the Ferrari on top with a 1m20.960s. He's 0.023s faster than the Mercedes.

16:19 The Ferrari looks extremely poised on track - very well balanced and stable. Just to the eye it's a clear step from last year.

Edd Straw

16:20 Kimi carrying great speed in Turn 9 without any problem - front and rear both giving the grip it seems.

Edd Straw

6 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Is Bottas doing dirty work and leaving glory runs to Hamilton, or is he simply slow?

Apparently... uhmmmm....so they say.... he seems to be pushing hard on a race sim

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Apparently... uhmmmm....so they say.... he seems to be pushing hard on a race sim

16:34 I spent a lot of Bottas's race run watching from trackside, and it looked...messy. He had quite a bit of understeer early on when the car was heavy, and it was moving around on him in the corners. The contrast with watching Raikkonen in the Ferrari was huge, although of course Ferrari has been working on a different programme this afternoon. But the car was doing everything Raikkonen would want, and he can attack the apex really well.

Gary Anderson

Driver Team Time Gap  Tyre laps
1 finland-2.jpg K. Räikkönen Ferrari.png Ferrari 1:20.960   s.png 108
2 united_kingdom-2.jpg L. Hamilton Mercedes.png Mercedes 1:20.983 0.023 ss.png 66
3 netherlands-2.jpg M. Verstappen RedBull.png Red Bull 1:22.200 1.240 s.png 89
4 denmark-2.jpg K. Magnussen Haas.png Haas 1:22.204 1.244    ss.png 118
5 france-2.jpg E. Ocon ForceIndia.png Force India 1:22.509 1.549   ss.png 86
6 russia-2.jpg D. Kvyat  ToroRosso.png Toro Rosso 1:22.956 1.996    s.png 68
7 finland-2.jpg V. Bottas Mercedes.png Mercedes 1:22.986 2.026  s.png 102
8 united_kingdom-2.jpg J. Palmer Renault.png Renault 1:24.139 3.179   s.png 53
9 italy-2.jpg A. Giovinazzi Sauber.png Sauber 1:24.617 3.657   s.png  67
10 belgium-2.jpg S. Vandoorne McLaren.png McLaren 1:25.600 4.640  s.png 40
11 canada-2.jpg L. Stroll Williams.png Williams 1:26.040 5.080    m.png 12 

DRIVER               MAX/AVER SPEED:  
1. nl.png Verstappen 282.7 203.9
2. fi.png Räikkönen 281.9 207
3. dk.png Magnussen 277.6 203.9
4. gb.png Hamilton 276.9 206.9
5. fi.png Bottas 276.9 201.9
6. ru.png Kvyat 275.5 202
7. gb.png Palmer 275.5 199.1
8. ca.png Stroll 274.8 194.8
9. fr.png Ocon 274.1 203.1
10. it.png Giovinazzi 272.7 198
11. be.png Vandoorne 267.9 195.8

Man everyone is taking every situation as if there watching a Grand Prix weekend. We have no idea what programs teams are running so it is almost impossible to say "he was fast there" or slow there. Heck even the TR could be the car to beat, we just don't know yet.

I never have ever taken anything from testing except reliability. No one knows who is running who and doing what and even reliability issues can be caused by running certain scenarios and engine maps, so even that is hard to go of. Testing basically is a look at reliability, new cars and drivers and just get you even more anxious for Melbourne. Honestly it's not until 3/4th race anyway until some sort of pecking order is established.

Of course one can learn from testing. Thats why they test. Even if its day 2. The only variables we dont know is the fuel loads. We can learn who's reliable, who's fast and who sucks

In recent years, there's not a lot of sand bagging during tests any longer (unlike before) and I say particularly this year's new car/ regulations. The team will not / cannot learn anything by sand bagging. They need to know what their car can do and learn all about balance, reliability, etc from day one. In contrast to the olden days of sandbagging, they push it hard these days during tests...

Therefore, I say I think Ferrari is doing real well...

Important aspect of the show which remains hidden to us is of course ability to support competitive improvements through the year. After hopeful start it buried Ferrari last year, and I can only pray it will not be repeated this time around.

Gag order from SM has been lifted for Vettel. Hopefully we will learn more than just how many bruises on new places of his body he has acquired in that car.

Track temp 10 deg C, air 6 deg C.

Race sim expected, so much is clear, as tomorrow is wet testing.

In early stages of testing, top three teams are running very similar top speed. Vettel is at 279 km/hr. (med tire)

15 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Can't wait to see what Seb will do on ultra's

Bottas has to get into a grove quickly. First impression - he might not be in top league as a driver yet.  We shall see in August whether he can beat it.