Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2017 Sauber

50 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Totally fishy. Even Alonso's big accident during season only prompt him to miss one race (Vandoonre substitute) and Alonso way to older than Pascal. I would guess that Pascal's recovery should have taken much shorter time.

Plus Pascal used to be a Merc Driver, I think Ferrari is naturally leaning towards their rookie.

If Giovinnacccii (what ever his spelling is) score a point(s) again, Pascal will be booted out for sure.... 

It's got nothing to do with his injury. He has been cleared of that, it's the fact he can't take the psical affects of the new car. 

17 hours ago, Emmcee said:

It's got nothing to do with his injury. He has been cleared of that, it's the fact he can't take the psical affects of the new car. 

nah, I don't buy that. He did full testing and free practice. It's politics man politics....

I reckon there are two factors at play -

One: His head has gone after being turned over by Bottas at Mercedes, seeing Ocon make the step up to Force India, and himself being parachuted into a Sauber with a 2016 power unit which is going to get progressively slower in relation to the other cars has all but killed his prospects & therefore his motivation.

Two: Ferrari have a promising youngster and nowhere to put him (Gio). Throw him into Sauber, train him there for the season if possible and then look to the future.

I said it at the end of last season when Nico retired and I'll say it again - I fear for Pascal's future in F1.

Yeah well you could be very well onto something, I mean not much has come out to confirm anything has it?

That was already the plan but he should come back in Ericssons car instead.

13 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

That was already the plan but he should come back in Ericssons car instead.

Agree

Toto Wolff has revealed that Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein actually fractured a bone in his back in his race of champions crash during the winter.

i think gio is a classic example of just how quickly the f1 world goes nuts and chews you up by the looks of it.

Baby Stroll - despite all race pre-conditioning - has also problems like Gio, and more I think about it, one more year in lower series might have done some good to him. Maybe wet track is not his thing, who knows. Boys are being separated from men, cliche fits.

"I got tired of it because of all the conspiracy theories," Wolff stated in China, having previously claimed to German media that Wehrlein's injury was actually a compression fracture.

"I was hearing (conspiracy theories) that Ferrari wants Giovinazzi in the team because of the engine in the car, and that Wehrlein is a princess because he doesn't want to sit in the car. It's not true. It was simply a serious injury that we did not want to push into the public, but I found it was time to say something so that people will finally give Pascal the necessary time."

Kaltenborn, for her part, believes that Wolff should not have described Wehrlein's injury as merely being a broken back: "What Toto said exactly I don't know," she said to Bild, "but I cannot imagine that it was properly reproduced because it was not correct."

She then stated that the injury in question was not a major fracture, but micro-fractures found in the thoracic vertebrae, and that Wehrlein's return to the driving seat is imminent.

Maybe if they came clean as soon as this was known, less speculation we would have around his case.

Street talk has Sauber ready to take Honda's engines on next year. It si rather fuzzy what is McLaren planning on the engine side; staying or going? Moreover, is Honda opening a stage-facility in Switzerland, or engines will be emailed from current location? (That could be not only expensive, but logistical nightmare). Moreover, who will be Honda's primary customer? The way it is now, it could be Sauber as the only customer. A lot of questions remain unanswered around this pending marriage.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Street talk has Sauber ready to take Honda's engines on next year. It si rather fuzzy what is McLaren planning on the engine side; staying or going? Moreover, is Honda opening a stage-facility in Switzerland, or engines will be emailed from current location? (That could be not only expensive, but logistical nightmare). Moreover, who will be Honda's primary customer? The way it is now, it could be Sauber as the only customer. A lot of questions remain unanswered around this pending marriage.

Just imagine Honda getting their engines to working capacity after Mclaren decides to go for another engine partner. That will be gold!

Will McLaren drop their rhetoric its either primary factory deal, or nothing? If that's the precondition, they might need to stick with Honda, like it or not. I can't see anyone else giving up to their demands. 

Ron`s (Mclaren CEO) dream, were always - the British Ferrari
Winning F1 team & Road Car. He HAS the road car part setup, the  move to Honda were probably to assist with this also.
Just need the F1 team to start WINNING

I always thought that Cosworth could partner and help with his idea of building his OWN engine.

Can`t remember who builds the McLaren road car engine

2 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Can`t remember who builds the McLaren road car engine

The original V12 / 6.1 l engine was designed by German BMW. I think they are collaborating on a new high performance engine that will be compliant with environmental regulations, and it shall incorporate (reportedly) F1 thermal management technology similar to one Ferrari and Mercedes are using.

Yeah the old Mclaren F1 roadcar engine WERE built by Mercedes - going back to when the McLaren F1 team
were the number 1/works Mercedes team. I meant who currently builds the Mclaren roadcar engines  ?                                                                       

On 26/04/2017 at 3:49 PM, Sakae said:

So its been confirmed. I think its great for Sauber

4 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

So its been confirmed. I think its great for Sauber

Yes, both teams, McLaren and Sauber are slated for Honda system. Assuming, assuming, assuming...

In fact, she (Kaltenborn) admits that one possibility is that Sauber will (next to cheaper Honda engine) also take a driver from Honda for 2018.

Wonderful idea.

Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn says that the Swiss outfit would be open to extending its collaboration with future engine partner Honda beyond the realm of its power unit supply deal.

I've always thought if VW will enter F1 on competitive basis, they will do so through purchase of Sauber, but Honda would be also good. Peter is angry with Monisha, and he is not visiting the offices anymore, but this could be good stuff.

What are your obligations as an F1 driver under contract?

I am not trying to start fight, but this topic bothers me and I need to get this out of my system. For years I have been against drivers being allowed to race another series while they are actively engaged with F1. It is an issue of unnecessary risk. Of course that did not sit well with vast majority of my fellow forumers. At that point I should have probably try to find more agreeable crowd, but I've endured and survived. Then Kubica had his accident and it shook his team pretty well. (Explains why Boullier was last one on board with Alonso's adventure).  Webber was another case, and now Wehrlein. Let them enjoy life, I was told patronizingly. 

Yet what is reality of life in this series? A team strives for points, glory, advertising revenues to offset operational cost, they do invest in training driver to achieve their objectives, and than you as a driver just get drunk (or whatever else) and do not show up for work. Does this makes any sense? In Sauber's case people will shrug it off, because - dismissively - "who cares about Sauber"? Well, I think this goes beyond Sauber, namely it is matter of principle, Either all drivers let themselves go willy nilly as they feel on Monday morning, or they stick to work and obligations they are (handsomely) paid for in the F1. This is not hockey, if you get injured, there are sitting replacements on the bench. Driving an F1 car is a privilege position, and perhaps it should be treated as such.

Honda care about Sauber.

Honda have spent big, as the Japanese do, to try to be the best.
$$100million to McLaren, need a test team, so Sauber as WELL !!

Honda the power of the unknown is, unknown