Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2017 Mclaren

So, to take on the silver arrows they decided to go the path of...Arrows.

I just hope the car is better than it looks.

Lol, well yeah. Mind you orange was a Mclaren colour before it was arrows.

I wish the rules would STOP these bloody stupid front wings. They look so fragile

2 minutes ago, rodders47 said:

I wish the rules would STOP these bloody stupid front wings. They look so fragile

I'm with you on this one. It is not just the appearance. The objective is to ultimately hide the front wheels from drag. That's bull.

I reckon that all gadgets should stay within the confines of the perimeter of the tires.

The color, shrug. Let's see how this and the other cars run over the next two weeks.

Lol good point out there Massa, well done. I remember brundle quite excited when this picture was on the screen.

looks like we are back to the days of wings everywhere. Like don't they ever learn ??

Why are the fins generally free of branding? Is there a regulation or something? It would seem like prime real-state for advertisement.

The more and more I see that Mclaren, the more I like it.  How's the aggressive front wing? And the slotted arms that hold the wing? Bit unique there.

@maure

yeah I've thought the same but the conclusion I've come up with is that the wing being in the position it is and its actual usage for the car, I wouldn't be at all surprised if stickers on that shark fin would actually create more drag. As I look at the cars that run these, the air would run parallel to the shark fin therefore any obstruction would crate drag, that's how I see it anyway.

My friend, the cars have got graffiti all over. If the stickers (or whatever) dragged, the cars could not move.

Yeah but that wing is sufficiently exposed from all angles on the car more so than any other piece of body work. It's basically the only part that can be affected 360 degrees.

Tobi Grüner  ?‏Verified account @tgruener

Worrying news for McLaren fans: New Honda engine does not only lack reliability but also power. AMuS (in German): http://ams.to/honda-2017

Not sure about it, but it is supposedly reliable inside info. Tobi seems usually a thoughtful guy, and he would not engage in something like this unless he had a solid source. We will know soon.

Honda has confirmed that the oil tank must be redesigned, which will effect the design of other engine components. #F1Testing #McLarenF1

...and that's another thing. It is hard to like a rule book, which allows to find such things only a few days prior a first race. Not only one has to go through engineering re-design, but manufacturing, and then testing (function, reliability, etc.) while racing? Sounds really crazy to me, especially when there is finite number of engine in deployment before hammer drops, and penalty imposed. Its hopeless.

I personally wouldn't believe this as all the hype over winter, Ferrari,Mercedes,Redbull were all worried on the ground Mclaren was making. By the way Ted Kravitz was carrying on, Mclaren is the one everyone is watching.

Man you guys are quick to cut of the head. The car alone looks a lot quicker and it being a more aero based formula, I beleive they will be quick come Melbourne. But no on will remember this post by then anyway. Geez, remind me to never rob a bank with any of you guys, you's would dobb me in in two seconds.

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

Man you guys are quick to cut of the head. The car alone looks a lot quicker and it being a more aero based formula, I beleive they will be quick come Melbourne. But no on will remember this post by then anyway. Geez, remind me to never rob a bank with any of you guys, you's would dobb me in in two seconds.

The 2nd comment was about Brad, not the macca.

But, wtf do you expect anyway. There is no other car doing as poorly. That's a fact.

Having said that, it is a win-win situation for Alonso... even if he is more than likely not going to appreciate it.

I always liked McLaren as a team regardless who their driver is/was and I do hope they can recover soon because it's starting to look like another mega disaster season. 

In terms of Livery, I do like Orange but ... damn !

I don't understand Mclaren fall from grace... Really. All the resources in the world, a history of competitiveness, just a few years ago they were fighting for the championships. Disgraceful !

On the funnier side

"Seriously, Fernando, that 1998 McLaren was so damn good. Just so quick right out the box... 

"Fernando? Fernando? Are you ok? You've glazed over."

Spotted in the #McLaren garage. Two world champions deep in conversation... #F1Testing #FlyingFinn

Spotted in the #McLaren garage. Two world champions deep in conversation... #F1Testing #FlyingFinn

47 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I always liked McLaren as a team regardless who their driver is/was and I do hope they can recover soon because it's starting to look like another mega disaster season. 

In terms of Livery, I do like Orange but ... damn !

I did too, despite RD, and I do too, despite the evidence so far.