Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2017 Mclaren

BradSpeedMan
Re:...that Honda will find ways to catch up later in the season
>I`m hoping that they don`t.
I liked their initial theory, it is like I said - the last time I were on TV,
If you do the same as everybody else,  you are the same as everybody else     
If you do something different - you are remembered !!                                                              

32 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

BradSpeedMan
Re:...that Honda will find ways to catch up later in the season
>I`m hoping that they don`t.
I liked their initial theory, it is like I said - the last time I were on TV,
If you do the same as everybody else,  you are the same as everybody else     
If you do something different - you are remembered !!                                                              

Remembered? As a disaster?

Seriously i HOPE they catch up

Who is EVERYBODY talkin about, NOT the fizzy drink.
Or even Mercedes - The WORLD is talking about Honda, will they catch up ...
Marketing and publicity !!!

Iam with brad, there heritage in motor racing and the road cars they built, I hope for the history of Honda and formula one in general that they sort it out.

alonso.jpg

BROWN: THE RELATIONSHIP WITH ALONSO IS VERY HEALTHY

Well, certainly it looks that way.

Well he should go to bed earlier the night before lol.

The very latest rumour is that McLaren is drafting in the services of Mercedes, to collaborate with Honda on rapidly improving its dire 2017 power unit. "We work on different scenarios, of which I cannot speak right now," Ojjeh said. "But we are spending a lot of time and energy and meetings on finding a solution. And fast. We have a culture of victory and we cannot continue like this."

I do not understand this. McLaren kicked MB noisily out in exchange for "iconic" and winning relationship with Honda, and now suddenly Mercedes engine is good enough for them? What a U-turn.

I find Massa's comment insightful in ref. to the simulators. Perhaps I like it since this has been always my position as well, despite many claims to the contrary - mostly by internet expert typists. With current technologies car cannot be designed to the perfection on the computer as yet, car cannot be tested on the simulators with all hazards and variances road presents, just as treadmill has not replaced a walk on the real thing.

Felipe Massa says he cannot understand why Jenson Button is not testing for McLaren before contesting next month's Monaco grand prix. Some have argued that a driver of the Briton's calibre and experience does not need to specially prepare for Monaco, a tight and therefore less physically demanding circuit than many.
But fellow F1 veteran Massa does not agree. "The cars are completely different now," he said. "If we had the same cars as last year then ok, but they are completely different. I do not understand why he is not testing this week," said Massa, referring to the post-Bahrain GP test.
Retired Button, 37, has been drafted into the McLaren driver lineup for a one-off return while Fernando Alonso is racing at Indy next month. McLaren argues that runs in the simulator will be sufficient for the 2009 world champion.
Massa said: "If the simulator was good enough, why don't most of the top drivers want to use them? I think I have not been in the simulator for two or three years -- they are for the engineers. I would certainly be here this week. If you have a full day to understand the car, I would definitely take it," he added. (GMM)

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I find Massa's comment insightful in ref. to the simulators. Perhaps I like it since this has been always my position as well, despite many claims to the contrary - mostly by internet expert typists. With current technologies car cannot be designed to the perfection on the computer as yet, car cannot be tested on the simulators with all hazards and variances road presents, just as treadmill has not replaced a walk on the real thing.

Notwithstanding the fact that if I were in Jenson Button's shoes I would have asked to test this week and on the Friday morning of the next GP, I think that there could be many reasons why he is not going to be in the car. First of all we have to consider that Button is probably tyhe fittest driver on the grid so that shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the difference between the 2016 and 2017 cars I guess that since the difference is mostly on the aero side of things and since he's going to race at Monaco that is not such a big issue for him (and he raced when cars were relatively similar to the current crop in the past so he knows what challenges he's going to face), maybe the reason why Turvey is going to drive that car is down to the fact that possibly he's following the development of the car/engine and they wanted some continuity in their feedback as to the changes pre/post development brought by Honda. I am also wondering if he's allowed to test this week, I thought that the tests were for the race drivers, young ones and possibly development drivers (and Button, at the moment, is none of these). Anyway I'm sure that he won't have many problems, but IMHO testing a car for real is always a wise move

Monaco is probably one race this season, where McLaren can score a few points.  I am not going to attack Alonso for selfishness, but Boullier was not ready to let him go for the same reason. Obviously he was overruled.  I am not sure what is the deal with Button, but it is hard to understand the logic behind it.

I am still of opinion that McLaren should have withdrawn from this season due to (Force Majeure) not having a PU to race with, and tried to fix all on the side lines instead. Patching it up from a race to race is also one way to go, but pretty expensive, and I am not sure it is as effective as it could be.

19 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Monaco is probably one race this season, where McLaren can score a few points.  I am not going to attack Alonso for selfishness, but Boullier was not ready to let him go for the same reason. Obviously he was overruled.  I am not sure what is the deal with Button, but it is hard to understand the logic behind it.

I am still of opinion that McLaren should have withdrawn from this season due to (Force Majeure) not having a PU to race with, and tried to fix all on the side lines instead. Patching it up from a race to race is also one way to go, but pretty expensive, and I am not sure it is as effective as it could be.

I'm not so sure that McLaren can score some points at Monaco, their engine is so unreliable, they are probably not holding their breath either

Regarding the opinion that McLaren should have withdrawn this season I think that it would have been a disaster, they would have lost huge sums of money, they would have been left behind on the development of the car and I'm not sure that they could have invoked a force majeure clause in the first place

Well, I take your word for it. I didn't think it would be easy, but Honda needs time off and perform on track testing when they need, for hours they need, and with intensity they need. So much is probably not disputed. Having McLaren and FiA interfering with their rate of progress (for very logical reasons) while working from a sand buggy is rather a disruptive process.  They need one spare McLaren on Suzuka track, test driver, and their home team to huddle and finish the job in peace and quiet.

Such is life - Boullier: we had a good day (best one yet) of testing, but we do not know why.

"It's maybe coming from a batch problem, maybe some anomalies are car related… there is no common cause."

It was bound to happen, and funny thing is, they do not know what will follow in Sochi. 

...here

Good news deserve just as large headlines as the usual ones we saw for past 2+ years.

30 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Such is life - Boullier: we had a good day (best one yet) of testing, but we do not know why.

It was bound to happen, and funny thing is, they do not know what will follow in Sochi. 

...here

Good news deserve just as large headlines as the usual ones we saw for past 2+ years.

Thats... horrific!

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Thats... horrific!

In science of engineering this is actually more prevalent than people do realize. Cause&Effect relationship is classified into governing and secondary factors. Often this process is prone to error in human judgement, and what is being considered as a tertiary factors, turns out to be more important than initially evaluated, sometimes list of factors in incomplete, and so on. McLaren's case has undoubtedly humongous number of variables, and almost no constants. You need pretty smart guys with pencils and data acquisition systems to weed their way through, but I think they will succeed. Probably not as much to satisfy McLaren, but for preservation of their own sanity - we did it! 

I feel sorry for Hasegawa.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I feel some sympathy for Hasegawa and feel truly sorry for the other people affected, for the ones who can't change the current situation, for the ones that are risking their job and income because Honda couldn't come up with a decent PU, for the drivers who risk having their careers ruined, etc. Hasegawa and the good poeple at Honda deserve our sympathy but more so all the ones who suffer for the failures of Honda

3 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I feel some sympathy for Hasegawa and feel truly sorry for the other people affected, for the ones who can't change the current situation, for the ones that are risking their job and income because Honda couldn't come up with a decent PU, for the drivers who risk having their careers ruined, etc. Hasegawa and the good poeple at Honda deserve our sympathy but more so all the ones who suffer for the failures of Honda

20 April 2017,  17:30

You the probably then feel also sorry for Williams employees who cannot win a race despite having Mercedes mounted on, or Sauber employees because the team is under financed, and so on. We can make a stop at every garage and find something to be sorry about, despite reality, that racing is a risky business where fame and failure change hands literally overnight. That's given when you sign an employee agreement and enter the prey. My sympathy for Hasegava is however of different color. I am doubtful that he was consulted whether to enter the race with the original design, however today he is the one carrying burden of saving the corporation from public shame. Mighty responsibility on his shoulder. Man is on display daily, mostly in unsympathetic public eye, and he looks tired, exhausted, yet somehow determined to fulfill his mission. Respect. 

Essence of watching the F1.

Frederic Vasseur - "What I like is competition, not the car, and the public wants a fight, not a performance".

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

20 April 2017,  17:30

You the probably then feel also sorry for Williams employees who cannot win a race despite having Mercedes mounted on, or Sauber employees because the team is under financed, and so on. We can make a stop at every garage and find something to be sorry about, despite reality, that racing is a risky business where fame and failure change hands literally overnight. That's given when you sign an employee agreement and enter the prey. My sympathy for Hasegava is however of different color. I am doubtful that he was consulted whether to enter the race with the original design, however today he is the one carrying burden of saving the corporation from public shame. Mighty responsibility on his shoulder. Man is on display daily, mostly in unsympathetic public eye, and he looks tired, exhausted, yet somehow determined to fulfill his mission. Respect. 

Frederic Vasseur - "What I like is competition, not the car, and the public wants a fight, not a performance".

I don't feel sorry for Williams employees because they have a secure job, Sauber it's a bit risky but things seem to be going a little bit better, but certainly Sauber's financials shouldn't be looking very strong, and I fear that McLaren is not in an ideal situation either (lack of major sponsors and significant slump in TV money due to very poor standings). This is real, I wouldn't wish to anyone that their company was in such a situation, it's not a matter of rooting for Honda or not, McLaren has suffered significantly for what happened over the last 3 years, whether we like it or not

20 April 2017,  20:20

It leaves me unashamedly cold when words like compassion and McLaren are spoken in the same sentence. Admittedly I am not as much concerned about McLaren's welfare, as I am yet to understand what motivated Honda to enter into this relationship. 

So Honda are NOW disappointed, the PU running WITHOUT any problems, and laps on the board!!!
I STILL stand by my belief that,  Mclaren/Honda NEED to get on board with Cosworth.
Nothing to do with patriot ...

It is a KNOWN fact that Cosworth, invested (heavily) in turbo PU R&D
But are no longer on the grid 

The Power of the unknown is, UNKNOWN!!!

21 April 2017,  6:23

It seems that story of Cosworth is a story of old wife tales, a company which has probably even less done on hybrids than Honda has already. Moreover there is no guarantee they would give McLaren 100 MM, never-mind succeeding and building a competitive hybrid PU bettering Honda.

Unit Cosworth had built was never confirmed - to my knowledge - as having fully functional all six systems [ICE, TC, CE, ES, MGU-H and MGU-K] and completed those at high performance level. It is a fact they were interested to enter F1 at one point, such was rumor percolated in media, however that was with non-hybrid engine. It was in period when some people were willing to introduce two-types of engines into F1. An idea rejected by the F1 teams.

In the case it escape to you try to explain why McLaren has been involved in talks with Mercedes instead Cosworth, just as why RBR is riding with Renault, instead Cosworth. I think the answers are rather obvious.

Re:...what motivated Honda to enter into this relationship
>That IS simple - marketing and brand awareness - the SAME reasons
RedBull entered, RedBull wanted to promote a fizzy drink to the world

It's all Alonso's fault.

Journalist: How is the performance of the car this year?

Alonso: The team is working round the clock, doing its best and more.

Journalist: So you really think the car is good?

Alonso: The team is working round the clock, doing its best and more.

Journalist: But certainly, the results, I mean, you must have some concern after three years like this.

Alonso: The team is working round the clock, doing its best and more.

Journalist: So according to you, this is the the best of your career.

Alonso: Clearly, no...

Journalist: (interrupts) Hold on! I have my headline...

ALONSO GIVES ULTIMATUM TO THE WHOLE JAPANESE RACE AND DEMANDS THE CASTRATION OF A CHILD FOR EVERY DAY HE IS NOT ON THE PODIUM

Haters: The Spaniard is constantly whining!!!!! and complaining!!!!! when he always has the best car in the grid!!!!!

And, meanwhile, the F1 legerdemain carries on...

Rinse, repeat.

22 April 2017,  11:49

Proverb

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.