Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Race 1 Melbourne - “As the old saying goes, it is when lights go off the BS really stops.”

Yeah !!!

Finally Merc and Lewis is beaten fairly !!!

Great drive Seb kudos !:ferrari::1st:

Best sight of the weekend was when Toto was hitting his table twice :bangin:after Seb pitted and took the lead !! :congrats:

Hamilton freaked out and overwhelmed a team too used to win.

Ferrari got lucky with Verstappen and Vettel was able to close the deal. Good for them.

Pity to see Bottas folding so early in the season to the arshole Wolff-Lauda faces in the Mercedes garage.

Rest of the kids, let's see... Stroll not too bad, Verstappen short (except when holding up Hamilton), Sainz holding in there, Kvyat wtf did TR do to you, kudos to Giovinazzi, a nice race finish for Ocon, and not a fvcking soul knows what's what in the Macca so spooky points to Alonso.

There might yet be a 2nd race worth watching.

Alonso would've walked it, today he showed why he is still the best on the grid, driver of the day and mark webber thinks the same.

Yeah well Mark Webber and Alonso are best of friends and that explains his biased opinion.

Alonso spent 5 years in Ferrari without a single Championship. At least Kimi has one.

Best in the grid? I don't think so....

So finishing second 3 out of 5 seasons with Ferrari doesn't count? Something kimi or Seb have yet to achieve with Ferrari. I know kimi won a world championship but I don't class him as a "deserving" champion, but that's my biased opinion, not to mention his abiliteration of kimi as team mates, so where does that put alonso? More importantly, where does that put Ricciardo because he toasted Seb? Did you even see just how much slower that mclaren was not just down the straights but everywhere? Yet alonso managed to hold 10th for majority of the race in what alonso calls as "the last team" in terms of performance.

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

Best in the grid? I don't think so....

If I'm not mistaken that is what his fellow drivers think too, wasn't there some sort of poll last year among the drivers and the result was that overall they rate him as the best of there?

If racing is entertainment, then I prefer to relay on my own judgment regarding senses what I like when I see it, rather than letting strangers to tel me what should I believe.

Not that it matters, but how many "best of the best" there could be?

Lewis Hamilton has revealed he is braced for a tougher rivalry with Sebastian Vettel than Nico Rosberg in what he believes will be the ‘best against the best’ battling it out for this year’s Formula 1 crown.

f1-australian-gp-2017-sebastian-vettel-f

Vettel is in an interesting position when Start was aborted. Was the race control concerned over what he and his helpers saw?

interesting race, pity about the lack of any overtakings, if they could just reduce the aero side of things F1 could become truly exciting again

Vettel - great race by him, when he's got the car under him he's relentless and his opponents know it and were forced into making a mistake. I'm not sure that he would have been able to pass Hamilton on track but had he tried to undercut Hamilton he would have probably passed him. The car looked very composed, they seem to have done a lot of work on the back end of the car, now that it's much more stable at the rear Vettel can drive it as he likes it

Hamilton - sadly for him today he showed one of his few weaknesses: when he's under pressure he can't keep his cool. IMHO he could have approached the first part of the race differently, he could have been a little bit slower in the first 10 laps and look after his tyres (like they did on the good old days), with all the aero turbolence and a track like that Vettel wouldn't have been able to pass him. Maybe next time it will be different, but I think that he will remeber this race for some time

Bottas - he clearly misses the extra tenth of talent that sorts exceptional drivers from "merely" good ones, but I think that today he did well, possibly better than might have been excpected: he drove like an accountant and today it paid off, I'm sure that this lifted some of the weight that he had on his shoulders, even if he knows that he's the #2 driver at Mercedes, he didn't even try to put some real pressure on Hamilton despite the fact that hamilton's tyres were obviously struggling at the end of the race

Raikkonen - hadn't he set the fastest lap on the race I would have said that he needs to set up the car more to his style and then try and challenge the Mercs, but he did set the fastest lap and so there was nothing wrong with his car or with its set up, so why settle for 4th? not a great day for him

Verstappen - good race, solid performance, despite a car that looks very very lively at the back

Massa - good race from him, he certainly knows how to drive but he never had the mental strenght to be a chapion and after THAT accident his performance suffered a bit, all this to say that with a proper good driver that car would have been further ahead. It's a pity that at Williams they cannot escape a certain short-time attitude

Perez - :congrats: his car is not what it used to be, yet despite this rather crucial factor he managed to impress once again, and in the process he pulled a stunning move on Sainz

Sainz - I can understand why Prost rates him so highly

Kvyat - on a par with Sainz (and both deserving much better), I'm struggling to understand the strategy that he was given

Ocon - last year he was on a par with the highly rated Wehrlein, today he was fairly beaten by Perez

Alonso - I really feel sorry for the guy, he's not only a stunning driver but he gives all that he has despite the rather embarassing car (I wasn't blow away by the McLaren chassis to be honest with you guys)

Giovinazzi - he did ok today, it's rather obvious that he was still learning how the car reacts while the race was ongoing but IMHO he did ok, he defended very very well from Stroll (he was making up a lot of ground where the engine was not so important), I think that he deserves another chance

Stroll - I had never seen him race before but I think that the guy can drive, he uses all the track and that's always a very important sign. He also had a stunning start, which is good. I don't quite understand his set up, he had a very stiff front end and the car was all over the place, he's a rookie and probably isn't still very comfortable with setting up such a complex machine (he's only 18!) but at Williams they should know better, sending him out with such a set up meant condamning him to male a lot of small mistakes, and so he did.

Magnussen - I had never realised that the guy had so many problems in keeping his car on track, he made a lot of mistakes, despite a very very neat car

Palmer - yesterday I felt embarassed when I watched his hot lap, today he had a stunning first lap, then he settled at an ok pace. Pity his car had some rather serious issues. I think that he's too conservative, he should attack more from the word go, on occasion he looks like an amatour that needs a lot of time to get up to speed, I think that he can drive reasonably well and he certainly isn't stupid but he needs to push all the time, he's not racing endurance cars 

32 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

If I'm not mistaken that is what his fellow drivers think too, wasn't there some sort of poll last year among the drivers and the result was that overall they rate him as the best of there?

Apparently it's all bs by some here if you ask them. They know more than people who raced against or worked with or against him.

43 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I am not a Hamilton fan (in fact I hate him) but he beat Alonso as a team mate and has more trophy than him. That is a fact regardless of drivers vote. 

Seb also has more trophy than Alonso. One of the best in the grid I will agree, but certainly not THE best.

Great post there by P.C.S :congrats: I agree with pretty much all of that summary. Well done to Vettel & Ferrari, can't help think Hamilton & Mercedes threw it away, seriously fearing this will be a minimal on track overtakes season. I can honestly remember seeing Perez overtake Sainz, and nothing else.

34 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I am not a Hamilton fan (in fact I hate him) but he beat Alonso as a team mate and has more trophy than him. That is a fact regardless of drivers vote. 

Seb also has more trophy than Alonso. One of the best in the grid I will agree, but certainly not THE best.

Hamilton was mclaren a golden boy at the time with an immature alonso so no doubt it was harder for alonso there than it had to be. The trophies mean jack as its certain scenarios that put drivers in certain cars at certain times. No way is Hamilton or Vettel better. Those two are pretty close but alonso is still that one step above IMO, reguardless of what the trophies say.

45 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I am not an Hamilton fan, or a Vettel fan or an Alonso fan, I have never raced any of these guys, but if the guys who race all of them week in week out say that overall he's the best I am inclined to listen even if from the outside I'd say that on a good day Vettel is quicker and Hamilton a stronger racer, but hey who I am to disagree with 20 odd F1 drivers?

1 minute ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I am not an Hamilton fan, or a Vettel fan or an Alonso fan, I have never raced any of these guys, but if the guys who race all of them week in week out say that overall he's the best I am inclined to listen even if from the outside I'd say that on a good day Vettel is quicker and Hamilton a stronger racer, but hey who I am to disagree with 20 odd F1 drivers?

Speaking for myself, your opinion is always welcomed and respected in here, whether we all agree or holding back, Publius. 

I'm back. Been absent a couple of months because of all the other writings and blogs I have been doing.

Good race. Nice to see that Mercedes isn't dominant yet. Pretty much find myself agreeing with everything Scipio said.

A few additional comments

1. I like the new cars

2. I like the fins !!! Bigger cars are better for fans (actually this is observation made by A. J. Foyt as Indy cars were switching to rear engines)

3. I like all the different color schemes. I can now pretty much tell everyone apart from all angles (which was not the case last season).

4. I am not sure how much passing there is going to be. Unfortunately, more aero means more turbulence. Are they really reduced to following 1.2 second behind the next car to preserve tires?

5. The only passing I saw in the top 10 was Perez and Ocon (against a stricken Alonso).

6. Great race by Vettel. We have not seen him driving much like that in the last three years. Good to see him back in top form.

7. Mercedes and Hamilton blew the strategy and ended up with a poor race. Probably shared blame there.

8. Bottas didn't embarrass himself, but don't think he has the speed of Hamilton (or Rosberg). Raikkonen conducted a perfectly mediocre drive. Verstappen looked good.

9. Perez really needs to be with a top team.

10. Ocon did well.

11. Actually I was kind of impressed with Stroll's speed as erratic as his race was. He may be the real deal. Obviously facing a big learning curve.

12. Our new Italian driver is a very charming fellow. Hope he gets another chance.

13. I do note that in qualifying most of the experience teammates ended up in the front half the pack and the inexperienced teammates ended up in the back half of the pack.

14. Is F1 better with less testing (only 8 days this time)? Maybe?

15. Anyhow, I think we will need another couple of races before we know if this is a going to be a good season or not, but nice to see a fight for the lead (even if the passing was in the pits).

16. Is this the American era....F1 is now run by an American, and three of the team managers are Americans?  

20 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

I'm back.

115. Is this the American era....F1 is now run by an American, and three of the team managers are Americans?  

Yeap, we are on our way to McDonald dinners. Glad y'r back. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

I'm back.

Welcome back! Interesting points in your post, I guess that the Americans can do no harm to F1, and some of their early move IMHO make a lot of sense (like allowing more people in the paddock, I know that some disagree but IMHO it's a move in the right direction)

For all their rhetoric how connected Liberty is to Digital Age, I must say that Live Timing was worst to-date that I have experienced. Discrepancies between commentary and leadership screen (data on driver's position) etc. Not sure why. I thought it was global broadcast, and we all should have been seeing the same thing. Graphics were really not what I would termed as representative of current technology which is available on the internet.

50 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Yeap, we are on our way to McDonald dinners. Glad y'r back. :lol:

Hey, McDonalds is a very successful restaurant. One month, when I was doing a lot of travel, I did a test taste, McDonald's in the U.S. vice McDonalds in Canada vice McDonalds in Germany vice McDonalds in UK vice McDonalds in Russia. The Moscow McDonalds was the best, the Dresden McDonalds was the worse.

Anyhow....F1 is about to get a whole lot more fan friendly and accessible; and some of the old classic European races are coming back. We shall see what else is in store (like budget caps). But, the Ecclestone era needed to end at least a decade ago. 

48 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Welcome back! Interesting points in your post, I guess that the Americans can do no harm to F1, and some of their early move IMHO make a lot of sense (like allowing more people in the paddock, I know that some disagree but IMHO it's a move in the right direction)

I remember going to my first GP in Long Beach, CA back in the early 1980s. For like $10 you could get a pit pass, walk by the cars, and talk to the mechanics. You could stay there as long as you like. The Lotus mechanics were selling their John Player gear at a discount to the people walking by ;). The drivers were sitting next to cars 10 feet away from you, and you could overhear their discussion. The Renault team was actually changing their uniforms in public (which seemed a little odd in the more prudish USA).

Anyhow, more access is good. It makes a difference. Bernie became an "Elitist" and the modern F1 was losing touch with the average potential fan. As Bernie once said, what he needed was more 70 years olds who wanted to by Rolexes. That pretty much summarized their marketing and outreach problem ;)

I am having difficulties with visualization how access blocking screens, secrecy over development, and supremely busy mechanics there will be paddock full of browsing bystanders trying to get in and conduct private interviews. Everything is today choreographed, topology of equipment worked out to the last square millimeter, and now they will get disruptive noises into well thought out routines? I can't see it happening any time soon as random events. Maybe hospitality lounges...

It used to not be that way. No reason it has to be.

No customers = no racing. Probably need to give priority to the customers. Helps if they can see all the technology and work going on behind the scenes. Helps to get the audience as close as reasonable. In CA in the early 80s the only thing separating the audience from the people working in the garages was a rope. Didn't seem to be a major problem.

6 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Yep exactly mate, this is what I have been trying to say but apparently it's wrong.