Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Testing - or the lack of it

I wonder about the stupidity of this winter testing that we currently have ? This year we have new rules covering aerodynamics / engine mods / new tyres / and I suspect a completely different package as far as the driver is concerned yet the teams have this limited time for ON ROAD testing prior to the opening of this CIRCUS that is supposed to thrill the paying patrons yet some of the teams appear to be so unprepared !!

It will not only be an embarrassment for say McLaren if the reliability/power of their car shows it's ugly head at Melbourne, but will be one less competitive car that the fans can barrack for and lets face it WITHOUT fans this circus is DEAD. The TV audience has been dwindling over the years and it appears that bums on seats at the track is likewise dwindling, so WHY is the circus prepared to offer up sub standard not properly developed machinery at a race meeting and why are those in control of this circus prepared to allow it to happen ????

climbing off my soapbox now :-)

Don't get me started again. I am bitch*ing about this for years. As SM said, all was done for cost down aims, yet Ferrari admitted, they haven't saved a one Euro when all was done and audited. There is this notion, that teams like Sauber, FI and Williams are backbone of F1, and their whims have to be accommodated. My own conviction differs, namely, F1 is a sporting show of excesses, and if you cannot afford it, leave. 

Course not Sakae I've told you why this is all such a fraud and scam. You can't have cost cutting measures in place and flip the whole sport on its head every few years with a vast new array of regulations.

There's definitely a need for more testing but how much (days / session) more is the real question. It's all about costs and not all the F1 teams have the budget for more testing than what currently is.

Then there's this costs for tires, race track times, etc. Sponsors pocket will have to pay for this and that's not gonna go easy.

You think it's more fees able paying for a 12 mill plus simulator than on track testing? Because that's where teams are racking up the miles, on simulators and transferring data. So I can't see how that could be cheaper.

It was McLaren RD who said - a simulator (in current state of technology) - is not able to replace feedback of a real track. 

I can only add, case of Honda on dyno, then simulator, and lastly in Barcelona should serve as a wake up call to all of them.

Course a simulator isn't as good as on track testing but with lack of  It then simulator work is the next best thing so millions is invested into these machine to make them as realistic as possible.

Not every team can afford to purchase, maintain, and regularly update a top notch simulator. (And who wants a lousy one)? I dare to guess, that every team could afford however on all race weekends to devote a few hours - on Thursdays and Fridays - for development and validation of new design. It should be taken as an opportunity whole season around. Your can test while you are at the track, but you do not have to.

I think all teams would have one now, you have to. Few years back when this massive testing cull came in, I would agree but now I believe everyone would have one, just some better than others.

Heard from the commentary that a lot of the bigger teams did hugs numbers of race length runs during the testing days. From memory some of the teams did 50 odd race distances. I guess if this is the case then there probably is no need for extra testing times.

Lack of testing ends with fielding of underdeveloped cars, high attrition rate and lost of points, unhappy sponsors, never-mind disillusioned fans. Seven cars failed to finish race. Think about it all of you who are advocating further cost down measures. 

Well, looks like the reduced testing may lead to better racing for the first couple of races, because the top teams, through brute force and doing an infinite number of laps with all different types of tires, cannot entirely sort everything out perfectly before the start of the season. Maybe? Who benefits more from unlimited testing....Mercedes and the other top teams?

I suspect the lack of testing sort of left things more uncertain at the start of the season.

But it's been like this for years mate, the regulation changes helped but they don't test any less, they just test less on the actual track.