Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Honda

Tough situation for both Honda and McLaren. 

There isn't any easy way out for both, I say they have to work out their solutions and not look elsewhere. They have to work their problems at hand at least until the end of season.

34 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Tough situation for both Honda and McLaren. 

There isn't any easy way out for both, I say they have to work out their solutions and not look elsewhere. They have to work their problems at hand at least until the end of season.

Agree.

Has McLaren actually provided assurances they will not seek a new supplier for period of their contract with Honda (10 years)?

A lot of usual bloated rhetoric.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2325369/McLaren-announce-Honda-engine-deal-2015.html

How times change.

It became obvious at Silverstone that cracks are appearing in the relationship between McLaren and Honda - just seven months into a 10-year contract.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/33479911

21 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Agree.

Has McLaren actually provided assurances they will not seek a new supplier for period of their contract with Honda (10 years)?

A lot of usual bloated rhetoric.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2325369/McLaren-announce-Honda-engine-deal-2015.html

How times change.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/33479911

Why McLaren should stick with Honda power

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/599551/Why_McLaren_should_stick_with_Honda_power/

23 minutes ago, radical-one said:

An answer to this proposition should be IMO determined only after all parties involved stay assured, that convergence with the grid will be archived prior next moratorium on engine development. (Something that was discussed last year as cost down measure.) I am hoping that Honda will be ultimately successful in this project, however is time they need so badly on their side? I am not sure that we know that.

Today is a crucial meeting in Paris about direction F1 motors will take in next CA cycle.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

An answer to this proposition should be IMO determined only after all parties involved stay assured, that convergence with the grid will be archived prior next moratorium on engine development. (Something that was discussed last year as cost down measure.) I am hoping that Honda will be ultimately successful in this project, however is time they need so badly on their side? I am not sure that we know that.

Today is a crucial meeting in Paris about direction F1 motors will take in next CA cycle.

I saw some highlight motor sports news 2 days ago where Honda spokesman said - They are committed to F1 until they succeed even if they have to acquire an F1 team for themselves/works team.

2 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I saw some highlight motor sports news 2 days ago where Honda spokesman said - They are committed to F1 until they succeed even if they have to acquire an F1 team for themselves/works team.

Now that's what I call determination (and surprising announcement)!

I wouldn't call it an announcement but rather a Comment but yeah it's from Honda personnel during cable TV interview among other GT team interviews.

I am guessing, they may be hinting Sauber ? I'm sure Honda mgmt isn't playing dead without backup in case McLaren decides to use other engine.

6 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I wouldn't call it an announcement but rather a Comment but yeah it's from Honda personnel during cable TV interview among other GT team interviews.

I am guessing, they may be hinting Sauber ? I'm sure Honda mgmt isn't playing dead without backup in case McLaren decides to use other engine.

I am somewhat familiar with Japanese long terms planning habits, impressive as they are. It would greatly surprise me if current scenario wasn't considered prior re-entering series 3 or 4 years ago. Surely there is a plan b, c, ..whatever, and despite we aren't privy to those, I am sure we will learn when time comes. There is however one new economic factor which could make difference and almost no one predicted, namely a lot of poisonous noise in global trading. Team's budget for Honda (actually all of them) might be slashed, we just do not know as yet.  

21 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I am somewhat familiar with Japanese long terms planning habits, impressive as they are. It would greatly surprise me if current scenario wasn't considered prior re-entering series 3 or 4 years ago. Surely there is a plan b, c, ..whatever, and despite we aren't privy to those, I am sure we will learn when time comes. There is however one new economic factor which could make difference and almost no one predicted, namely a lot of poisonous noise in global trading. Team's budget for Honda (actually all of them) might be slashed, we just do not know as yet.  

True. That is similar to any company car, manufacturing, financial,etc. Reputation risk is always a b1tch. That's why Honda is keeping it civil, cool, and committed despite Mclaren side making a big fuzz / cry  babies about this whole deal. A well mannered matured approach is what Honda is doing. Hope McLaren do the same. 

31 minutes ago, radical-one said:

True. That is similar to any company car, manufacturing, financial,etc. Reputation risk is always a b1tch. That's why Honda is keeping it civil, cool, and committed despite Mclaren side making a big fuzz / cry  babies about this whole deal. A well mannered matured approach is what Honda is doing.

Hope McLaren do the same. 

I am sorry but I doubt that. Meanwhile...

F1 » 

Alonso pleased to see Ferrari competitive, winning races again

Read more at http://www.crash.net/f1/news/243196/1/alonso-pleased-to-see-ferrari-competitive.html#h6ekTKGHh0VCXG9H.99

Member's total reputation

Very moving.

HASEGAWA: WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY

I am begging to like this Yusuke Hasegawa. He talks like an honest engineer whose work is encountering a few problems, but he is still at it. My kind of a person. Sort of Vettel on engineering side. 

What we achieved in mono-cylinder is at a very good level, but when we transfer exactly the same specification to the V6 engine it doesn't work. We are very disappointed. But it was too late that we noticed that – at Christmas

If memory serves me, something similar happened to Renault and Illien. 

Y. Hasegawa is facing/sorting their issues like a real man - with honor and dignity whether they succeed or fail.

He's not the type of person who points his finger just to save face.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, Emmcee said:

Lmao, show me where this is. Iam sure many would go naturally aspirated if they had free reign to do as they please. But the rules state that it must be a 1.5l v6 hybrid turbocharged power unit.

Sorry I were NOT aware at the time that it clearly does state.
HOWEVER it is STILL ambiguous,  I`m  thinking,
** 1.5l v6 hybrid turbocharged power unit
IS ambiguous
It CLEARLY does NOT define WHEN the turbocharge HAS to 
function as long as long as the PU IS turbo charged
IF the turbo WERE say operated by a SWITCH (also ambiguous)
The PU would be consistent, with turbo charged!!!

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, radical-one said:

I thought that McLaren are SUPPOSED to be, the works team!!

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

Sorry I were NOT aware at the time that it clearly does state.
HOWEVER it is STILL ambiguous,  I`m  thinking,
** 1.5l v6 hybrid turbocharged power unit
IS ambiguous
It CLEARLY does NOT define WHEN the turbocharge HAS to 
function as long as long as the PU IS turbo charged
IF the turbo WERE say operated by a SWITCH (also ambiguous)
The PU would be consistent, with turbo charged!!!

Turbo can't simply work on a switch mate, the discrepancies in performance would be rediculous and besides you can't have a turbo and naturally aspirated car built into one, it has to be full time turbo or nothing. See a naturally aspirated car gets its Air Force fed threw induction into the air box. Where as a turbo creates its performance by running of the exhaust gasses. So you have to tune an na engine to cope with making its own combustion instead of sucking it up from outside the engine bay. Another reason why the turbo can't be switch activated is that it needs to spool up to create boost, the longer you let it spool, the bigger the performance gain.

If they are, why would McLaren have the courage to talk to other engine supplier?

McLaren is not Honda  and they are not Works. Same as McLaren Mercedes....

No there not but I've always wondered why they haven't given it a go at making there own engine.

30 minutes ago, radical-one said:

If they are, why would McLaren have the courage to talk to other engine supplier?

McLaren is not Honda  and they are not Works. Same as McLaren Mercedes....

RD wanted exclusivity for McLaren. Even not too long ago McLaren was at it again, that you are not going to win with a customer engine. (Dubious, and not really a proven claim).

McLaren denied any talks to other suppliers. I do not believe them, but that's what they said.

Contract between McLaren and Honda, as admitted by McLaren, has several milestone dates with clauses permitting them to re-negotiate partnership, and even end it, if they deem conditions permit. First one of those, as I understand it, will come up end of this year.

5 minutes ago, Sakae said:

RD wanted exclusivity for McLaren. Even not too long ago McLaren was at it again, that you are not going to win with a customer engine. (Dubious, and not really a proven claim).

McLaren denied any talks to other suppliers. I do not believe them, but that's what they said.

Contract between McLaren and Honda, as admitted by McLaren, has several milestone dates with clauses permitting them to re-negotiate partnership, and even end it, if they deem conditions permit. First one of those, as I understand it, will come up end of this year.

That's probably why the comment from the Honda team as I saw on tv last time. Perhaps it's decided to break the agreement (Works or Non-works).

20 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Yep, this is bang on, I also heard the condition of Honda's and mclaren's relationship is exclusiveness of only supply mclaren with there engine. It's to keep the whole "mclaren Honda" aura of the senna days. All well and good but if mclaren doesn't get the results, it doesn't pay the bills so to speak does it? I beleive they even knocked back redbull when it was going through that whole "hoohaa" jargon with Renault, redbull apparently looked at every option or possibility and just swapping badges seems to have helped tremendously. Seriously, what's TH doing anyway badging and engine? Is this to trick customers into thinking they'll always be ahead of time? Can see the sales pitch now "be ahead of the pack and be ahead of time with this f1 styled watch by TH". See brainwashed fans walk into the watch shop like zombies lol.

RE :...RD wanted exclusivity for McLaren. Even not too long ago McLaren was at it again, that you are not going to win with a customer engine. (Dubious, and not really a proven claim).

>Dude, I disagree the proof is on the track

Recent winners

Ferrari - NOT a customer engine
Mercedes - NOT a customer engine
Renault - NOT a customer engine