Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Honda

On August 3, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Sakae said:

3 August 2017,  12:40

Honda performed well in mid-season testing. Marching forward as expected, I may say.

Honda will surely be back on track by Suzaka and maybe fighting for 4th place-ish in Abu Dhabi 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Sakae said:

Marching forward as expected, I may say.

Welltheycould

Suzuka WILL C McLaren-Honda on the podium
Confirming Alonso`s commitment to the McLaren-Honda project

23 hours ago, radical-one said:

Honda will surely be back on track by Suzaka and maybe fighting for 4th place-ish in Abu Dhabi 

5 August 2017,  10:09

I do not expect Honda's progress to be linear, once they have sorted out teething issues that so often sidelined them early in several races. Honda asserted that their PU's potential is equal match for Ferrari (in right chassis), once "unlocked". Whether they can achieve power convergence in short term, or later in a season is of course anyone's guess.

It is OBVIOUS that Mclaren WILL B powered by Honda in 2018

Honda do NOT have any customer teams - NOW Sauber HAVE ditched them  

Ron didn`t bring Honda back into the sport for NOTHING and to practically RUIN the team that HE built up (the Second MOST successful/oldest F1 team after Ferrari).

Ron may NOT B at Mclaren ANYMORE, BUT HIS legacy STILL lives on -

5 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Honda do NOT have any customer teams - NOW Sauber HAVE ditched them  

5 August 2017,  15:19

Here

Like I SAID - Honda do NOT have any customer teams 

We ALL thought that Sauber WOULD B a customer team, though it Never CAME to fruition
Contracts WERE signed 

5 August 2017,  18:05

Redesign of RA616 targeted several improvements. RA617H (current unit) was to weigh less than its predecessor, have lower CoG, and improved thermal efficiency, if Honda was ever hoping to achieve performance convergence with its rivals. There was no other way out of their predicament posed by the initial design. They had to start all over. Regulatory restrictions held them back for far too long. Calmness in Honda's camp these days suggests, that they have a handle on their problems. Surprisingly, rumor has it, that Honda already has a planning group in place for new generation of PU (y. 2020 onwards), despite that definitions aren't even fully agreed upon. What it then also implies, that Honda under normal circumstances is not intending to leave F1 any time soon. That's one interpretation what future holds. Token system is gone, and shackles of that kind are off, so it is better. They will make it, and I wish them well.

Indeed THIS is JUST supporting my theory,  McLaren will NOT ditch Honda, like Sauber HAVE.
Mclaren ARE with Honda for the BIG gains/return.
The resources Honda have are FANTASTIC.
Mclaren HAVE taken the PAIN of bringing Honda back - for no return would be madness.
Why would McLaren walk away from  Honda now, and let another team  BENEFIT from                            
McLaren`s woes.
It IS difficult with the testing ban.

9 minutes ago, Sakae said:

18 August 2017,  16:26

Talks between Honda and Toro Rosso reportedly break down

This could be an unwelcome outcome for Honda. They do need more data in support of development, just as a security cross-check should McLaren become unhinged (again) in their criticism of the PU.  

That is OLD news

I am going to be bold, you read it here FIRST
Mclaren Honda win EVERY race in the 2018 season
To finish first, first you MUST finish.
Mclaren Honda ARE working on a NEW concept

The majority of tracks ARE clockwise, so U drop a few points
on the anticlockwise tracks.  U can`t win them ALL but ....
U make up for it over the season

18 August 2017,  16:45

MotosportWeek has today's date on that article. It is worth noting in the first instance that breakup of negotiations has not been officially confirmed by the teams involved. Secondly, Honda will be exposed to McLaren's whims, or otherwise they might not have any clients next year should McLaren mount Renault engine.

Mclaren will NOT drop Honda and use Renault engine.
That would be MADNESS, no LOGIC

Honda ARE in F1 for the LONG term,  already planning group for 2020 regs.
Why would McLaren WASTE the last 3 years.  Waiting for Honda to deliver.
To then let ANOTHER team benefit from 

18 August 2017,  21:30

There are some puzzling questions about life in McHonda land. (i) Why we are still reading about their driver looking for a better seat? What is he expecting to see between now and December that he doesn't know today already? (ii) Why is not Honda confirmed yet as a partner for next season, especially if there aren't s other suitable suppliers available? Renault is on the mend because they bit more than they can now chew with their improvements efforts.

Ilmor is a British independent high-performance autosport engineering company.

Same CAN B said of Cosworth !!
Would love to see a, McLaren-Honda Cosworth collaboration !!

26 August 2017,  21:03 (CEST)

Assertion of this kind makes no sense, be it in absolute, or figurative terms. It may be good for some egos who dream about fifth dimension on the moon, but in reality all what it means is that engineering planning system of load cycles on the PU on that location made an erroneous assumption (based on training data), which is why control system wasn't set up properly. Driver simply exhausted juice on preceding location (as he had every right to do so), however subsequent power on demand simply wasn't there. McLaren wasn't the only car taking that place flat out. One could actually think that communication between a driver and his engineers was either nonexistent or plainly inadequate during debriefing after FP3 when he was supposed to evaluate throttle load cycle.

Looks like Renault are OUT of the PU options for Mclaren
>Red Bull’s Max Verstappen says it’s “unbelievable” that he’s vying with McLaren’s Fernando Alonso for the highest number of retirements during F1 2017
The Renault PU is NOT an improvement from  Honda

To leave Honda NOW would, enable another team to benefit from Mclaren`s woes over the last 3 years.
Mercedes would NOT risk supplying McLaren with a PU
Would NOT go down well, McLaren Mercedes beating the Mercedes WORKS team             

With the latest speculation.
Mclaren,  probably to be powered by Renault, IS NOT a step forward.
DNF`s, for BOTH Honda & Renault.
Tail wagging the dog.
Fernando WANTS change,
Mclaren wants Fernando.
Renault WOULD B change, just for the sake of change.
NOT an improvement

Hardly a step forward,    another PU DNF
But Alonso WON his WDC`s WITH Renault power
Also Back in the day (old format) Williams Renault did WELL
Designed by Newey !!

maybe I miss something but I think that I heard that the Toro Rosso - Honda deal fell through yesterday evening and since Todt is not willing to bend the rules (the engines had to be agreed by the summer, I don't remember the exact deadline whether it was 1 June or 1 July + the fact that Renault doesn't seem willing to ask for an exemption to the rules to provide their engines to 4 teams) my understanding was that McLaren has no option but to stay with Honda, they don't seem to have any option as the powers that be want Honda in F1 and Honda wants to be in F1, Honda's big boss was in Monza over the week end busy in talks with Todt, Ross Brawn, the guy from Liberty, etc, the word in the paddock was that he was there to claim their slice of the cake (this I heard from someone working for one of their competitors, so not an unbiased comment B) )

Many poeple believe that Alonso will stay, irrespective of the money, I don't know but some people who know him personally and have worked with him in the past believe that he won't give up for at least another couple of years as apparently many poeple in the paddock believe that he's doing a sterling job (plus he's got nowhere to go, Porsche is out of LMP1, Indycar is a bit of a bore, LMP2 is too fluid at the moment, etc)

We'll have to wait and see, I'm sure that Honda will do well with the new engine formula, they put a lot of money into F1 and demand their rewards as everyone else does, I fear that it will be late for Nando to win another WDC

3 September 2017   18:17 (CEST) - Link to TR was declared (maybe unofficially) cold and out some time ago (so I read). This situation at McLaren ended up marriage of necessity, as tripartite want to stay with F1, yet run of options to current deal. 

Honda is on the record, that the sole reason for them returning to this racing series was for challenge hybrid PU poses. They were strongly opposed to U-turn to normally aspirated PU. Unless there was some unannounced change of heart, I think therefore Honda will be aligned with other manufacturers on PU spec for engines after 2020. (And so is Jean).

Quote of the day after Monza for me (paraphrasing) comes from Palmer when he received penalty for incident involving him and Alonso. Fellow is known for rather never being short of expletives, however, today he was sort of "nice," when he recommended to race stewards to stop drinking Heineken, and watch the race instead, implying Alonso-bias when they clashed.

Visit from Tokyo is shrouded in mystery, but it is sort of in-line with prediction my friends made, that Honda will do "something". I hope it is nothing more then PR assurances we are staying. Not sure about any other changes. I think it will be stay a course, work hard, and pray a lot. 

21 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Visit from Tokyo is shrouded in mystery, but it is sort of in-line with prediction my friends made, that Honda will do "something". I hope it is nothing more then PR assurances we are staying. Not sure about any other changes. I think it will be stay a course, work hard, and pray a lot. 

it wasn't shrouded in mystery, I saw them myself, they were in the full glare of the paddock. I wonder what this "something" will be, maybe they will outsource all the work on their PU to Ilien :D I rest my case, with the new engine formula they will get some silverware, they will probabbly follow in the footsteps of Mercedes by drafting the new rules together with the FIA