Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown?

Bormula One

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/599315/FIA_to_review_DRS_usage_after_China/

These new cars whilst quick are almost impossible to follow closely. We're in for a return of the bad old days before DRS where drivers couldn't overtake - only this time even with DRS. Just simplify the front wings and allow under body downforce exploitation. Blimey how much are the technical folks paid at the FIA to not see these new cars would lesson the number of overtakes and therefore the quality of the show. Melbourne 2017 was maybe the first race in my living memory when I actually turned it off with 10 laps to go out of sheer frustration and boredom. I hope I'm wrong but I fear not.

I thought that #5 was pretty much in the hunt during first stint; it might had been a new scene for some of those in #44 column, but optics and hope pleased me. There was apparent lively conversation between pit-wall and Hamilton about him not being able to shake Vettel off. Quite entertaining mind you. 

On subject of FiA's F1 division - no argument from me.

12 minutes ago, Unknown? said:

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/599315/FIA_to_review_DRS_usage_after_China/

These new cars whilst quick are almost impossible to follow closely. We're in for a return of the bad old days before DRS where drivers couldn't overtake - only this time even with DRS. Just simplify the front wings and allow under body downforce exploitation. Blimey how much are the technical folks paid at the FIA to not see these new cars would lesson the number of overtakes and therefore the quality of the show. Melbourne 2017 was maybe the first race in my living memory when I actually turned it off with 10 laps to go out of sheer frustration and boredom. I hope I'm wrong but I fear not.

We understand. Because Vettel was winning. It's the first race of the season and ppl cry boredom. Sheesh, some people, you really can't please everyone. Melbourne is notorious for being a circuit that doesn't encourage a lot of overtaking, it is after all a street circuit. Let's judge after the first 3 races of the season.

Just now, BradSpeedMan said:

We understand. Because Vettel was winning. It's the first race of the season and ppl cry boredom. Sheesh, some people, you really can't please everyone. Melbourne is notorious for being a circuit that doesn't encourage a lot of overtaking, it is after all a street circuit. Let's judge after the first 3 races of the season.

I watched Vettel win every race of his era. I didn't turn it off because Vettel won, in fact I think it's great he did to at least provide some variety. My issue is that once the cars are in order, they stay in order. The race was done after the first pit stops around laps 18-24. In commentary they said there were around 24 on-track overtakes last Aus GP. This year I remember seeing 1 (ONE).

7 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I thought that #5 was pretty much in the hunt during first stint; it might had been a new scene for some of those in #44 column, but optics and hope pleased me. There was apparent lively conversation between pit-wall and Hamilton about him not being able to shake Vettel off. Quite entertaining mind you. 

On subject of FiA's F1 division - no argument from me.

Vettel was in the hunt yes, but never tried an overtake. When Hamilton came out the pits and cruised up behind Verstappen he.. didn't try an overtake. This isn't exciting for me. What we gain in Ferrari vs Mercedes outright performance we lose in overtaking. 

there were about 5 good overtakes, I agree it's not a lot but let's give the new rules some time... The last one with Ocon and Huldenberg both overtaking St Alfonso were complete masterpieces.

I think the Merc is affected genuinely by following in another car's slipstream, the Ferrari less so, but that's my perception.... It might bode excellently for the season

4 minutes ago, Unknown? said:

Vettel was in the hunt yes, but never tried an overtake. When Hamilton came out the pits and cruised up behind Verstappen he.. didn't try an overtake. This isn't exciting for me. What we gain in Ferrari vs Mercedes outright performance we lose in overtaking. 

Agree.

Overtaking was and will be an issue until they do something about it. 

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Remember me of the best overtake in F1 in my humble opinion. Mika overtaking both Schumie and Zonta for the lead...

lovely stuff

:lol: (I do remember...)

We cannot get it this year for two reasons (from top of my head)

1. Zonta is not racing anymore.

2. Where is a track on which 3 of those cars can fit side by side while they are speeding at 300 km+?

:P

5 minutes ago, Sakae said:

:lol: (I do remember...)

We cannot get it this year for two reasons (from top of my head)

1. Zonta is not racing anymore.

2. Where is a track on which 3 of those cars can fit side by side while they are speeding at 300 km+?

:P

:lol:

Just now, BradSpeedMan said:

Give it some time unknown, let's talk after bahrain

I will stand down.. For now.. :cheers:

I thought it was exciting enough for a season opener with an entirely new cars and rules. :ferrari:

Lewis and Merc lost so I can't complain. :congrats:

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

I thought it was exciting enough for a season opener with an entirely new cars and rules. :ferrari:

Lewis and Merc lost so I can't complain. :congrats:

Yeah and the exciting part was when toto Wolff said there was nothing they could've done to beat Vettel. They were simply faster.

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

Yeah and the exciting part was when toto Wolff said there was nothing they could've done to beat Vettel. They were simply faster.

Yep. All good for racing. New winner, new tires, cars, rules and the real bonus was to see Toto's p**sed off face instead of his fake dog smile :P

In terms of overtaking we have to develop some means to execute those. So far we have:

1. Drive as fast as you can and try lead car to commit an error of which you need to take immediately advantage.

2. Under-cutting/Over-cutting for pit stop is a strategy No. 2

3. Technical changes to the car..?

4. Number of pit-stops / choice of tires.

5. Lead of the starting line (or at least after exiting 1st turn)

What else...?

Number 1 has always been in the sport. Number 3 needs to be seriously looked at imo.. front wings too complex, cars too dependent on downforce.

Aside from Vettel jumping Hamilton in the pits, nothing happened up the top end of the grid. Not my idea of entertainment. 

I am hoping that right people saw the same as you do, and feverishly working on it. (But I would not put any of my money on it).

Add this, subtract that - that is current approach, and look on messy results we have. Ross seems to adopt approach similar to what I have been thinking, that there has to be vision what kind of series you are working to (based on consensus of triad - FiA, FOG, and teams), and only then systematically and comprehensively you engage in changes to regulations in support of the target. Makes sense to me...