Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

2017 Shanghai China GP - Who will dominate ?

1 hour ago, Unknown? said:

Also, I completely understand them cancelling sessions due to helicopter problems, it's just not worth gambling with someone's life if they need serious medical attention after an incident. They can't build a medical facility at the circuits to deal with any and ALL eventualities. Granted, the facilities are great but they can't compete with a fully functioning hospital.

Like on battlefield, a race track needs first class emergency clinic onsite to provide first intervention, before they can sent patients off to hospital proper. I am not a doctor, but to load someone with spine injury on a deck of structurally vibrating chopper doesn't seems to me as a very good idea. They used to do it in Vietnam, but not at the races. (I am not sure how NASCAR is handling suspected spine injuries). 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Like on battlefield, a race track needs first class emergency clinic onsite to provide first intervention, before they can sent patients off to hospital proper. I am not a doctor, but to load someone with spine injury on a deck of structurally vibrating chopper doesn't seems to me as a very good idea. They used to do it in Vietnam, but not at the races. (I am not sure how NASCAR is handling suspected spine injuries). 

All GP tracks have first class emergency facilities but they are limited in what the can do. If you need to see a neurologist and have emergency brain surgery there's only so much a triage centre can do.. The track facilities cannot be used as a suitable substitute for a fully manned and operational hospital which is much better staffed and prepared for all emergencies. What if someone has an awful accident, is taken to the track facilities for stabilisation, and then.. die because they can't be transferred quickly enough to a full medical facility? The helicopter is a necessity especially if the hospital is 50km away, as in Shanghai. Depending on traffic & weather conditions it could take more than an hour to drive to the hospital by which time the person suffering the injuries could well be out of time.

I know its frustrating that sometimes sessions are cancelled for this reason but I have absolutely no problems with that as I understand the potentially fatal consequences of track action without sufficient medi-vac contingencies in place.

The British press is pimping Alonso, their usual scapegoat, only to take attention away from Vettel.

Ferrari is a real menace.

1 hour ago, Unknown? said:

All GP tracks have first class emergency facilities but they are limited in what the can do. If you need to see a neurologist and have emergency brain surgery there's only so much a triage centre can do.. The track facilities cannot be used as a suitable substitute for a fully manned and operational hospital which is much better staffed and prepared for all emergencies. What if someone has an awful accident, is taken to the track facilities for stabilisation, and then.. die because they can't be transferred quickly enough to a full medical facility? The helicopter is a necessity especially if the hospital is 50km away, as in Shanghai. Depending on traffic & weather conditions it could take more than an hour to drive to the hospital by which time the person suffering the injuries could well be out of time.

I know its frustrating that sometimes sessions are cancelled for this reason but I have absolutely no problems with that as I understand the potentially fatal consequences of track action without sufficient medi-vac contingencies in place.

Yeah well said, Ricciardo made a good point in saying it's annoying and frustrating for paying fans but if they go out and something happens, that's a situation you don't want to be in and hindsight is all you can think about. Wise young man :)

Sebastian is in P2 some 6.2 sec behind P1.  Five pit stops vs four of the lead car. Inverse situation of that in Melbourne. Next race in a week.

Live Timing by FOG - terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE. Experts on social media my foot!

Didnt expect that from RBR, although conditions help. Plus rhe fact of being difficult to overtake.

Mad Max deserves driver of the race, closely followed by Vettel

Max did a phenomenal job as did Vettel to claw his way back, dissapionted by Ricciardo and also kimi with his issues. But looks like we have a decent championship and Ferrari and Mercedes are neck and neck.

I am left wondering whether strategy calls are any better than last year, and maybe Jock Clear should say Good Bye. Ever since he came on board, I gave him about six months benefit of doubt, but by now I am not sure if it dawn on him that he should be actually working for Ferrari. Perhaps not too quick for developing and deploying remedial strategies.

Without Giovinazzi accident, I think we might have seen a different race outcome. 

Everybody happy with Verstappen's radio antics, or we talk about it only when Vettel is involved?

Cmon sakae, first I've heard verstappen really carry on and besides its not like it's every single race like Vettel did it, cmon man there's even a song on YouTube about Vettel and his blue flag fetish, oh and he didn't use foul language either especially towards race control. Want me to continue? Never the less, I think we have a championship on our hands. I think Vettel drove really well today, don't ruin it by comparing apples to oranges. Be grateful your team and driver are at the front, looks like I have to endure another year of an Aussie going "half way".

Double standard is applied when Vettel is involved on and off the track, and no amount of voluminous comments will change that. That's what I think I see all those years he is racing, not just today.

Seb gave new meaning wheel to wheel racing when he was informed, that him and Ricciardo scraped paint of tire-walls during overtaking. Interviewer of course placed responsibility on Vettel for that. Sure, what else, despite that I thought it takes two to tango, and Ricciardo was there just as much as Vettel was. Not giving a mm is however good clean fun, methinks.

Media are elated how Hamilton destroyed Vettel, despite the fact, that gap between them was a sec or two less than in Melbourne when Hamilton came second. Well, it's mostly English site, so, no surprises they like their boy.

First two drivers are running on the same time-line, but the gap behind them is something else. I am not sure FOG will like that, but I think it's not that bad. Fight is on, it is nail-biting (at least for two groups of fans) and later somebody might join them. 

Did I say already Live Timing stunk? Big Way.

Well, I can hardly say that even with the huge rule changes
The "show" has NOT improved with the turbo era.

Hamilton lead from START to FINISH

Boring, processional stuff - AGAIN!!

Mercedes is still a faster car. Vettel was telling the truth, but gap is manageable, Hamilton will have to work for a change, and I am hoping as time goes, there will be full performance convergence at least between two teams, if not three. It is not there as yet. A lot of overtaking in midfield.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Double standard is applied when Vettel is involved on and off the track, and no amount of voluminous comments will change that. That's what I think I see all those years he is racing, not just today.

Seb gave new meaning wheel to wheel racing when he was informed, that him and Ricciardo scraped paint of tire-walls during overtaking. Interviewer of course placed responsibility on Vettel for that. Sure, what else, despite that I thought it takes two to tango, and Ricciardo was there just as much as Vettel was. Not giving a mm is however good clean fun, methinks.

Media are elated how Hamilton destroyed Vettel, despite the fact, that gap between them was a sec or two less than in Melbourne when Hamilton came second. Well, it's mostly English site, so, no surprises they like their boy.

First two drivers are running on the same time-line, but the gap behind them is something else. I am not sure FOG will like that, but I think it's not that bad. Fight is on, it is nail-biting (at least for two groups of fans) and later somebody might join them. 

Did I say already Live Timing stunk? Big Way.

Ohh mate don't get me started on double standards mate, your the best when it comes to that. Maybe go back and read majority of your posts mate, that would give you a pretty accurate picture of what double standards are. Besides verstappen on the radio was no where near as bad as the foul mouth vile language that came out his mouth the day he portrayed a spoilt brat.

I thibnk that the race had some exciting bits, IMHO all in all it was not a bad race

Hamilton - I'm surprised that he didn't sail away from the opposition in the opening stages, he didn't make any mistake and had the race covered once Vettel was boxed in behind Kimi, who knows had Vettel been able to challenge him if he would have made a mistake. Anyway I think that he drove very well throught the week end and IMHO is a deserving winner

Vettel - I loved his move on that RBR, IMHO he should have tried to pass Kimi earlier on, waiting cost him about 7 seconds (if I'm not mistaken) and possibly the race. Also IMHO he pitted too early for slicks, but this is much easy to call with hindsight

Verstappen - he had flashes of brilliance but he also made some rather serious mistakes. He was obviously worried by Vettel and was always looking on his mirrors and so I can understand the mistake but in F1 it doesn't happen very often. I'm also suprised that he didn't manage to get closer to Grosjean during the closing stages because if he was suffering from turbolent air in the corners he was also in Grosjean's slipstream and that should have helped him significantly

Ricciardo - same as Verstappen, in a sense I was excpecting a bit more from him, especially during the closing stages, maybe he was told to try and avoid crashing into his team mate at the second race of the season

Raikkonen - ok he wasn't very fast today and had tha race been 2 laps longer he would have lost 5th to Bottas but there is something in Kimi's race that left me totally speechless and I'm surprised that no-one picked that up: when they were behind the SC Kimi left a significant gap between Ricciardo and himself, he was so far away that Ricciardo managed to change his tyres and rejoin in from of him, Kimi must have been at least 5 seconds off Ricciardo. On the one hand I just can't undersand why the pitwall didn't tell him to close that gap as it was (i) silly and (ii) in breach of the rules (isn't the rule that they have to be within 8 car lenghts of the car in front?) on the other I was shocked that a driver of Kimi's experience didn't know better and gave one of his oppnents such a massive advantage. That is the move that IMHO cost Ferrari the chance to fight for the victory, had Ricciardo rejoined behing Kimi and vettel it would have been a totally different story. After that I'm surprised that he didn't seem able to mount any real challenge to Ricciardo, seeing how quickly Vettel dispatched them both should probably hurt good old Kimi quite a lot. All in all I'd say one of his least convincing races of the last couple of years

Bottas - his problem was not only the fact that he spun his car, there were times when he didn't have the pace to match the frontrunners, luckily for him he picked up some pace towards the end of the race but what a difference a day made for him, yesterday he was very close to his team mate and today he was nowhere to be seen

Sainz - a sterling drive from him, no wonder Alain Prost rates him so highly

Alonso - I really don't understand why so many people are so critical of him, today was another spirited performance by Nando and once again he had to retire due to a mechanical failure

Kimi is going on the carpet for his performances. Kimi and his boss - what's up, man?

Seb to Ricciardo - here is payback for last year... :P Good wheel banging. 

Alonso is being critiqued not for his driving, but his personality. (But I am not going there, not today).

I think racing looks better these days. I like it, even as my man ended in P2. SC is part of a show, and it is irony, that Ferrari got hurt by a promising youngster of their own kind.

4 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I thibnk that the race had some exciting bits, IMHO all in all it was not a bad race

Hamilton - I'm surprised that he didn't sail away from the opposition in the opening stages, he didn't make any mistake and had the race covered once Vettel was boxed in behind Kimi, who knows had Vettel been able to challenge him if he would have made a mistake. Anyway I think that he drove very well throught the week end and IMHO is a deserving winner

Vettel - I loved his move on that RBR, IMHO he should have tried to pass Kimi earlier on, waiting cost him about 7 seconds (if I'm not mistaken) and possibly the race. Also IMHO he pitted too early for slicks, but this is much easy to call with hindsight

Verstappen - he had flashes of brilliance but he also made some rather serious mistakes. He was obviously worried by Vettel and was always looking on his mirrors and so I can understand the mistake but in F1 it doesn't happen very often. I'm also suprised that he didn't manage to get closer to Grosjean during the closing stages because if he was suffering from turbolent air in the corners he was also in Grosjean's slipstream and that should have helped him significantly

Ricciardo - same as Verstappen, in a sense I was excpecting a bit more from him, especially during the closing stages, maybe he was told to try and avoid crashing into his team mate at the second race of the season

Raikkonen - ok he wasn't very fast today and had tha race been 2 laps longer he would have lost 5th to Bottas but there is something in Kimi's race that left me totally speechless and I'm surprised that no-one picked that up: when they were behind the SC Kimi left a significant gap between Ricciardo and himself, he was so far away that Ricciardo managed to change his tyres and rejoin in from of him, Kimi must have been at least 5 seconds off Ricciardo. On the one hand I just can't undersand why the pitwall didn't tell him to close that gap as it was (i) silly and (ii) in breach of the rules (isn't the rule that they have to be within 8 car lenghts of the car in front?) on the other I was shocked that a driver of Kimi's experience didn't know better and gave one of his oppnents such a massive advantage. That is the move that IMHO cost Ferrari the chance to fight for the victory, had Ricciardo rejoined behing Kimi and vettel it would have been a totally different story. After that I'm surprised that he didn't seem able to mount any real challenge to Ricciardo, seeing how quickly Vettel dispatched them both should probably hurt good old Kimi quite a lot. All in all I'd say one of his least convincing races of the last couple of years

Bottas - his problem was not only the fact that he spun his car, there were times when he didn't have the pace to match the frontrunners, luckily for him he picked up some pace towards the end of the race but what a difference a day made for him, yesterday he was very close to his team mate and today he was nowhere to be seen

Sainz - a sterling drive from him, no wonder Alain Prost rates him so highly

Alonso - I really don't understand why so many people are so critical of him, today was another spirited performance by Nando and once again he had to retire due to a mechanical failure

Yeah all so once again drove the wheels of the car with minimal people taking notice or refusing to take notice. It's been like that since he left Ferrari mate.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Kimi is going on the carpet for his performances. Kimi and his boss - what's up, man?

Seb to Ricciardo - here is payback for last year... :P Good wheel banging. 

Alonso is being critiqued not for his driving, but his personality. (But I am not going there, not today).

I think racing looks better these days. I like it, even as my man ended in P2. SC is part of a show, and it is irony, that Ferrari got hurt by a promising youngster of their own kind.

Banging wheels, pay back from last year, God your wounds run deep don't they? Simple racing incident and Vettel even said it was down to not realising just how wide the new cars are, no harm there, just glad Ricciardo made him work for it. Iam waiting for Charlie's payback, the interview where he calls Vettel every cursive name under the sun on live TV and then have people say it's ok because it's the heat of the moment. Double standard seems familiar sakae?

Messy race, folks out of position, most unable to do anything about it.

Kudos to the podium, particularly the lowest step.

The lack of competitiveness is starting to bore.

After the second race it has occurred to me, that behind closed door, come September, big telephone numbers of the F1 might plead with team principals to leave drivers distribution  "as is". There is no point to load a one team with current creme of pilots, and leave others behind. To have competitive three - perhaps even four - teams with at least one driver shining in each of those could produce a better show, than replica of what we had for past a few years with MB. BTW, Hamilton is quoted that he does not expects Alonso to replace Bottas. 

Despite that it is only a second race and cars are still evolving, the race outcome begs a question what is normal performance, in contrast to the exceptional one. The GAP demands an explanation. The F1 is not NASCAR for it to experience 30 fake lead changes, and to have just one used to be quite a norm in this series for decades, to have two or three lead changes in the same race would be a dream come true, and we could be on our way to accomplish just that as it is shaping up better show then boring past a few years. I am hopeful.

Best Driver:  Verstappen (Vettel very close behind)
Best Team:  MB
Best Overtake:  Vettel on Ricciardo
And the race in a sentence: Evolving (project in development) - Rating 7 (10 is best).

#WheelToWheel

I am not sure what's going on, but there is far too many IFS floating around. If Gio crashed (if he felt he has to do it) without activating SC, Seb had a shot for P1, Bottas is dreaming IF he hasn't spun, he would have secured P2, and so forth. I mean common guys, if this, or that, point is, facts are that race was played by the rules, and as Wolff said, learn from mistakes, but look forward. Don't pretend you are better than reality on the race track. Finnish force went through one of those weekends to forget; happens to best of them.

Going to No man's Land...

Raikkonen was ‘left in no man’s land’

Bull boss Christian Horner has said Kimi Raikkonen's strategy did not "make any sense" at the Chinese Grand Prix.

There is pressure already mounting on the Finn after his fifth-place finish in Shanghai, but he berated the team over the radio for not pitting him earlier than they eventually did.

The late pit stop left Raikkonen with too much work to do in the closing stages to catch the two Red Bulls up ahead and Horner expressed surprise at Ferrari's strategy as he discussed how Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo were able to finish in front of one half of the Scuderia team.

"The reason we went for the super-softs, we felt in these damp conditions, for us with our car as it is at the moment, to turn that soft tyre on would be maybe a bit too much," Horner explained.

"We felt the more competitive tyre would be to go onto the super-soft and then have a second stop.

"At this stage in the race Ferrari and Mercedes were talking about going to the end and then obviously Sebastian triggered it with his stop, Lewis covered it.

"What didn't appear to make any sense was why they left Kimi [Raikkonen] that long [on the first set of softs], because he sort of ended up in no-man's land. To get our car ahead of a Ferrari and a Mercedes is a good day's work.

"Solid pit work, good strategy, good racing from the drivers. I think that was the maximum we could get from it."