Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

2017 Shanghai China GP - Who will dominate ?

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Going to No man's Land...

Raikkonen was ‘left in no man’s land’

Bull boss Christian Horner has said Kimi Raikkonen's strategy did not "make any sense" at the Chinese Grand Prix.

There is pressure already mounting on the Finn after his fifth-place finish in Shanghai, but he berated the team over the radio for not pitting him earlier than they eventually did.

The late pit stop left Raikkonen with too much work to do in the closing stages to catch the two Red Bulls up ahead and Horner expressed surprise at Ferrari's strategy as he discussed how Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo were able to finish in front of one half of the Scuderia team.

"The reason we went for the super-softs, we felt in these damp conditions, for us with our car as it is at the moment, to turn that soft tyre on would be maybe a bit too much," Horner explained.

"We felt the more competitive tyre would be to go onto the super-soft and then have a second stop.

"At this stage in the race Ferrari and Mercedes were talking about going to the end and then obviously Sebastian triggered it with his stop, Lewis covered it.

"What didn't appear to make any sense was why they left Kimi [Raikkonen] that long [on the first set of softs], because he sort of ended up in no-man's land. To get our car ahead of a Ferrari and a Mercedes is a good day's work.

"Solid pit work, good strategy, good racing from the drivers. I think that was the maximum we could get from it."

Kimi would have not been able to pass the two RBRs on track, their only option to stay ahead was if somehow he managed to go to the end. Furtermore often it looks as if the guys at RBR are just trying to pick a fight with Ferrari, I don't believe for a single second that they care about Kimi and are sorry that he didn't beat them B)

3 minutes ago, radical-one said:

I rest my case, Ferrari's problems were caused by the fact that during the second lap behind the SC Ricciardo managed to pit without losing any position due to the fact that Kimi was over 5 seconds behind him for no apparent reason. I have never seen anything like this is over 35 years (gosh, I'm getting old...), if you guys have the chance to look at the footage of the second lap behind the SC you will notice this

From radio transcripts we know that Kimi had extensive and high level confrontation with pits when and why to pit, and it seems that there was something wrong with his front end of the car. It was obvious that usually stoically cool Finn was angry.

Marchionne was confronted after the race with a question whether this car suits to Vettel more than to Kimi, to which SM responded emphatically "absolutely no". 

Why are people looking into kimi of late for? Hasn't he improved? I think his on top of his game at the stage of career he's in. A lot more loose what he has by this time but yet he dug deep and fixed his qually issues and had a brilliant year last year. He had some issues in Australia and in China to the point it was so obvious, yet he still scored and did the best job he could've done. Now they bring this out again questioning his form like wtf, what more you want? If you tolerated kimi before and his lacklustre performances, why the heck can't they when he's pulling his finger out? Ferrari need to worry about catching Mercedes or whatever, not on kimi because Seb has had a good run so far, pretty trouble free in comparison.

15 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Banging wheels, pay back from last year, God your wounds run deep don't they? Simple racing incident and Vettel even said it was down to not realising just how wide the new cars are, no harm there, just glad Ricciardo made him work for it. Iam waiting for Charlie's payback, the interview where he calls Vettel every cursive name under the sun on live TV and then have people say it's ok because it's the heat of the moment. Double standard seems familiar sakae?

Daniel Ricciardo has admitted he intentionally banged wheels with Sebastian Vettel to give the fans a bit of excitement.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/600596/8216Bored8217_Ricciardo_planned_Vettel_contact/

He was being sarcastic, why would he risk terminal damage so close from the end? Common sense.

8 hours ago, Emmcee said:

He was being sarcastic, why would he risk terminal damage so close from the end? Common sense.

Asked about the battle, Ricciardo said it was all part of the plan to give the fans "a bit of smoke".

"I was honestly a bit bored so I just thought let’s bang some wheels and get the crowd excited!," Ricciardo joked after the race.

"I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t intentional, but I knew there was no harm done. A little bit of a smoke for the fans."

If he is sarcastic, than it is lost on me in this case. Visual of him crowding Ferrari supports what he is saying. Since there was no flat or damage to Vettel's suspension, I am certainly not going to dwell on that.

I cannot copy&paste transcript of radio comm for some reason, but impression I have is that it is not as much whether Kimi is fast or slow, but whether car setup suits him. We should not forget that Friday was washed out, and obviously he was not happy with responses of his front-end during a race. It is the same car Seb drives (SM confirmed), thus Race setup is in focus as a problem area.

14 hours ago, Sakae said:

If he is sarcastic, than it is lost on me in this case. Visual of him crowding Ferrari supports what he is saying. Since there was no flat or damage to Vettel's suspension, I am certainly not going to dwell on that.

It says there "Ricciardo joked over the race" he was sarcastic all weekend with a funny attitude, I'll show you:

Man he looks pretty serious there lmao (sarcastic btw)