Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Audi to attend next F1 engine meeting

They have attended similar meetings before. This will be about engines 2020 onwards. VW used to have very specific agenda. We will see whether it has changed.

Well they've left WEC and were so dominant, they very well may fancy a hand at f1. Have plenty of hybrid tech and experience, why not least have a go, can't do worse than Honda and besides, people would cut them a lot less slack. Wonder what VW will do to as they left WRC.

At some (near) point of time they will freeze engine development. New entrants are coming little late to the party, unless of course they want to run a team, and buy an engine from current supply chain. I can't see Audi getting involved in that. They want(ed) 4 cylinders, high performance engines, which will rub wrong way a lot of 12 cylinders lovers.

Auto Bild said there will be "at least eight" manufacturers in total at Friday's meeting.

Making up the numbers are reportedly another Japanese carmaker, and possibly Cosworth.

An Audi spokesman said: "Even if we attend the meeting, an entry into Formula 1 is not an issue for us at the moment."

Auto Bild said another figure at the meeting will be Mario Illien, the Ilmor chief and well-known engine guru who most recently helped Renault and Red Bull.

The report said Illien is now working with McLaren.

I am surprised to read this.

11 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

interesting... very interesting

Unthinkable in Japan. First working with Renault (not very successfully, mind you), and the you work on the same program with Honda. It is outrages.

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Unthinkable in Japan. First working with Renault (not very successfully, mind you), and the you work on the same program with Honda. It is outrages.

The world is probably changing quicker than we thought 

1 hour ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I am not, I am surprised that it took so long

I am not sure what's scope of his contract. Maybe he is merely advising McLaren how to deal with this situation. I would be rather surprise to learn that Honda has let him anywhere near to their data sheets.

Well correct me if i wrong but something rings a bell. Didn't Honda purchase a percentage of mclaren when they entered hence why there so adamant on not supplying a second team.

A page or two back I've enumerated financial contribution Honda is making to McLaren (info floating on the internet), but I know nothing about them having an ownership share. There are (or were) three owners, to my best recollection. Mumtalakat family, Dennis, and Ojjeh.

AMuS is of opinion that in near future announcement will be made regarding partnership between Honda and Sauber. I am not sure how McLaren fits into this.

Interesting point of view (GP247)

BNut Audi motorsport chief Dieter Gass is adamant that there are no plans afoot at Ingolstadt to tackle F1.

Gass told Sport Bild, “Formula 1 is basically interesting and still the top class of motorsport, but if you look at motorsport in general, there is currently no racing series except Formula E and DTM where Audi must be represented.”

“Formula E is special, because it is the only racing series that is currently useful in the area of e-mobility. And thanks to the lack of noise and environmental pollution, Formula E can race in metropolitan areas. So [in this way] we’ll get straight to the fans,” added Gass

Does this implies that new F1 engine related targets for year 2021 precludes city racing?

Do people know Audi was already in f1 in the 50s I beleive. But back then it was a group of small companies that made Audi I beleive.

Story of Audi is a story of DKW; year was 1906.

Despite being the biggest motorcycle manufacturer in the world, the Great Depression took its toll, leading DKW to join with three other Saxon auto manufacturers, Horch, Wanderer and Audi to form Auto Union.

http://heinkelscooter.blogspot.cz/2010/04/das-kleine-wunder-story-of-remarkable.html

Excerpt from Thursday conference with team managment: Mattia B.

At the end of March there was a meeting of the engine people looking at the formula from 2021 onwards. What would you prefer to see: a completely new change of engine, architecture, etc. or retain the existing one, maybe tickle it round the edges, make it a bit cheaper or whatever; fundamentally retain this one?
MB: We had a good and positive and constructive discussion in Paris and I think that the output finally was that we should try and keep the current format but as you said, a few things certainly need to be reviewed. I don’t see any sense why we should change completely. All the automotive is going towards hybrid cars and the technology we’ve got currently in F1 somehow is on the edge of the technology and that, I think, is where we should be and we need to stay.