Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Button to replace Alonso at Monaco.

Looking forward to seeing him back in the car, even if it is THAT car, and only for one race. Who knows? Maybe it'll rain and he'll make the top 10.

I CAN just see it NOW
Monaco WILL be the turning point for Honda & McLaren.
Honda HAVE been working on updates to the PU
McLaren have been working on updates to the chassis
NO Alonso, Button WILL storm through showing him  (Alonso)
What the lawnmower IS capable of!!!
It IS written in the stars!!!

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

I CAN just see it NOW
Monaco WILL be the turning point for Honda & McLaren.
Honda HAVE been working on updates to the PU
McLaren have been working on updates to the chassis
NO Alonso, Button WILL storm through showing him  (Alonso)
What the lawnmower IS capable of!!!
It IS written in the stars!!!

Well I certainly hope so

NO, Think about IT - realistically
Mclaren put EVERYTHING into getting Alonso
Alonso IS away - odds ON, the Honda WILL perform  !!

23 April 2017,  12:55

First inflated speeches about "iconic relationship", then loud finger-pointing, and now engaging in underhanded diversionary tactics, and making virtue out of it. Anyone who is surprised by it lift your hand, please.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

23 April 2017,  12:55

First inflated speeches about "iconic relationship", then loud finger-pointing, and now engaging in underhanded diversionary tactics, and making virtue out of it. Anyone who is surprised by it lift your hand, please.

Happens everywhere he goes. No wonder he's perceived as damaged goods

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Happens everywhere he goes. No wonder he's perceived as damaged goods

My thought is, this is the F1. I could be wrong, but abandoning an iconic race such as Monte Carlo in mid season will not cast the F1 in best possible light. By wast majority of fans in several global surveys MC was one track always named as indispensable to the series. Clearly Brown is an outsider who has no affinity to the history of MC, otherwise we would not have this conversation. Honda is nuts to agree with that experiment. Liberty is quiet - so, there is another stranger for whom history means very little.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, Sakae said:

My thought is, this is the F1. I could be wrong, but abandoning an iconic race such as Monte Carlo in mid season will not cast the F1 in best possible light. By wast majority of fans in several global surveys MC was one track always named as indispensable to the series. Clearly Brown is an outsider who has no affinity to the history of MC, otherwise we would not have this conversation. Honda is nuts to agree with that experiment. Liberty is quiet - so, there is another stranger for whom history means very little.

The Indy 500 was first run in 1911.  Monaco in 1929.  "No affinity for history," indeed.

Liberty, whether right or wrong, want to grow the sport in America.  An F1 driver coming in and winning the Indy 500 would put F1 in a very positive light in front of 6,000,000 Americans who tune into the Indy 500 (normal F1 race in America gets about 400,000).  So, it's not all downside to F1 in that respect.

In fact, I think F1 would get a lot more negative attention if it blocked something like this.  I know you hate American racing, but for a lot of people worldwide, there's something cool about this.  It's very old school for a driver to try different disciplines.  Yeah, some guys retire to sports cars or IndyCars now, but I mean giving it a real, proper go, all in the same year.  There's been a lot of positive attention about Alonso doing this.  If F1 or McLaren blocked it, a lot of us would be pretty bummed because it takes away our fun, which is seeing how someone who has accomplished a lot in one setting can do in another.  You don't get that much.  Barrichello or Sato retiring to IndyCar isn't anywhere close to this because neither was ever as good as Alonso and both came over after F1.

The number of people who will think less of F1 because one driver chose to be somewhere else during its biggest race is probably limited to you, Bernie Ecclestone, and that depressing guy who writes for that magazine.  To everyone else, it's very cool—even if not their exact cup of tea.

3 hours ago, Massa said:

The Indy 500 was first run in 1911.  Monaco in 1929.  "No affinity for history," indeed.

Liberty, whether right or wrong, want to grow the sport in America.  An F1 driver coming in and winning the Indy 500 would put F1 in a very positive light in front of 6,000,000 Americans who tune into the Indy 500 (normal F1 race in America gets about 400,000).  So, it's not all downside to F1 in that respect.

In fact, I think F1 would get a lot more negative attention if it blocked something like this.  I know you hate American racing, but for a lot of people worldwide, there's something cool about this.  It's very old school for a driver to try different disciplines.  Yeah, some guys retire to sports cars or IndyCars now, but I mean giving it a real, proper go, all in the same year.  There's been a lot of positive attention about Alonso doing this.  If F1 or McLaren blocked it, a lot of us would be pretty bummed because it takes away our fun, which is seeing how someone who has accomplished a lot in one setting can do in another.  You don't get that much.  Barrichello or Sato retiring to IndyCar isn't anywhere close to this because neither was ever as good as Alonso and both came over after F1.

The number of people who will think less of F1 because one driver chose to be somewhere else during its biggest race is probably limited to you, Bernie Ecclestone, and that depressing guy who writes for that magazine.  To everyone else, it's very cool—even if not their exact cup of tea.

No need for hissy fit. You have however missed the point to a large extend. This is not about quantity (years of racing), but about status of some races for their specific series. I couldn't care less what that Indy race means for Indy racing fans, however I do care what Monte Carlo means for me (and couple of other guys) in terms of the F1 racing calendar.

On a second point, I think you are abusing stats here a bit. While I do not know anything about alleged audience figures, you forgot that your 6 mil observers came most likely to watch a race they like, with some of them deriving small degree of satisfaction also seeing how an F1 guy promoting Indy style racing and dung onto his own series. It si debatable how many will "learn" how great F1 series is from seeing a driver dumping an important race in favor of his own joy ride, regardless of any contractual obligations as a designated F1 driver for McLaren in 2017.

Last point, I am not researching how many people will think less of F1, however I am doubtful whether the viewing audience gain for F1 in US after its all said and done will be as much as implied. Many reasons for that, but perhaps some other time. F1 did not grow in US after a few drivers moved over from F1. Why it would do so now? For me personally F1 remains what it always have been, just as my opinion about people involved.

4 hours ago, Massa said:

+ 1 :congrats: I think that Alonso racing at Indy is the best thing that happened to F1 in a very long time

As the old friend Sartre said...

I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatures spend their time explaining, realizing happily that they agree with each other. In Heaven's name, why is it so important to think the same things all together.

It's a win-win. Good to see Button back in the car and good to see Alonso at Indy. The haters will whine but the shake-up is pretty cool.

So, a driver abandoning his commitment to the F1 is a pretty cool shakeup? I never wish to be easily defined (Kafka), however ethical proposition of win-win in this case is lost on me. 

When my enemies continue hissing, I know I'm not slipping. (mod. Callas).

IF Button, on his RETURN to F1 at Monaco - manages 2 score a point (top 10 finish).
Alonso is NOT going 2 B very pleased,  after HIS DNS (Did Not Start).

Though actually, IF Button - manages 2 score a point (top 10 finish)

It WILL show that Mclaren-Honda HAVE made progress, and Alonso 
WILL B able to show his talent for the rest of the season.
Especially with Honda`s update expected in Spain

Next time Alonso will finish a formation lap without commotion, he will be rated as a best driver of the race. 

no wonder Alonso decided to race at Indy rather than Monaco, the McLaren drivers have only a 50% chance of even getting to the starting grid these days :rolleyes: and once they manage to start the race it's painful to watch them. I really feel for Alonso, no one deserves to endure what he had to go through the last few years, but what really worries me is Vandoorne, he's ruining his career before it's even properly started, that's not fair. 

They need to get a 2016 Mercedes engine on the back of that car and put some Honda branding on it, Honda won't deliver in 2017, they are too far back

Jens is a very able racer but you can't polish a turd. I am completely mystified at Honda's lack of progress. That it has taken this long to achieve 14th place is laughable.

Re:That it has taken this long to achieve 14th place is laughable.
>Honda HAVE been busy working on other things,
Their (Honda) new lawnmower IS out next-week!!
AND TV, Stereo, Snow blower,  Civic !!
Jack of ALL trades,  master of NONE  except Lawnmowers!!