Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Alonso

20 hours ago, Sakae said:

Silly me, and I thought it is the F1 which claims to have best drivers. Pretty confusing claims, but then considering the source...

I don't know about Indy but Formula E has some rather good drivers, and the same applies to WEC, if you consider that in F1 there is someone like Marcus Ericsson maybe the best drivers in the world are not only in F1

Good, better, best => only one can be rated as such? I think somehow that's how it goes. Who is the best anyway, and why we have to be so judgemental? I for one have no clue how to process that.

I have my own personal preferences, because a driver presents himself as someone "I can have a beer with", and I am happy when "my guy" does well, however I am also keenly aware that each driver has his own unique set of circumstances, some of those his own making, others are not, thus I am not friend of lifting one person up only so I can stand on somebody's else's head.

Alonso should save powder sugar when he talks about his dubious motives for deserting F1, and either keep quiet, or say the truth, because I simply do not believe his "noble" claims. If he has such desires as he said, why then now, and why not last year or any other time? 

When I commented previously that Mclaren used to be the Merecedes works team.
Who were it that disagreed?

For many years, Haug was the head of Mercedes’ F1 programme, including in 2007 when Alonso raced for the works team McLaren.
Read more at http://www.thisisf1.com/2017/04/27/alonsos-indycar-debut-is-a-suboptimal-idea-haug/#CZIssFWg7ztSCuof.99

Like I ALWAYS said - FACT !!
I CAN remember watching Haug in TV interviews with Ron.

Ron would NOT sell out to Mercedes.
Just like he hasn`t sold out to Honda - they R having a difficult time!!

Alonso's contract with McLaren runs out at the end of this season, and admits that he is open to a move elsewhere, with his name being linked to Mercedes, and former teams Ferrari and Renault. 

ALONSO OPEN TO TEAM SWITCH FOR 2018

Mercedes' Toto Wolff says that Fernando Alonso's ambition of racing in next month's Indy 500 is about the Spanish drivers' ego.

But Toto Wolff admits he is at a loss to understand McLaren and Alonso's decision.

These are turbulent times at McLaren, and getting him to sign a contract extension might have played a role in the decision to let him pick up some headlines outside F1.

Alonso IS enjoying driving AGAIN
He WILL resign for McLaren-Honda
Next Year WILL see Honda - the power of dreams
WIN,  with Alonso - the FIRST Mclaren-Honda victory of MANY

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, Sakae said:

We are waiting.

Indeed, but can`t happen THIS season - PU regulations, testing ban

Alonso (were) VERY pro Honda AND what THEY could DELIVER
Well, the Spain testing is VERY close.
When Honda CAN change/update their PU
Lets SEE just what Honda, DELIVER in Europe
WILL Honda FINALLY deliver RESULTS?

Lauda

...unfortunately, drivers sometimes cannot prove they are the best by the decisions they make, and Alonso has made many mistakes," he said. "He left Ferrari very early and decided to go to McLaren, but the problem with Honda's engine development was already known (then)...

In other words, he made his own nest, and chances going back to Ferrari, or moving over to MB next year are remote, especially if Bottas continues to be competitive. Alonso is done, unless Honda pulls a fast one. (Probably next morning after Alonso leaves for Renault).

For sure, engines run on driver's humility and, as the forum's experts have pointed out repeatedly, championships are won by charm.

Racecraft? Nope.

F1 and the Miss Universe Pageant, some people just can't tell them apart...

Hilarious.

...unfortunately, drivers sometimes cannot prove they are the best by the decisions they make, and Alonso has made many mistakes," he said. "He left Ferrari very early and decided to go to McLaren, but the problem with Honda's engine development was already known (then)...

He did'nt have another choice. He was let go by Ferrari

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

...Unfortunately, drivers sometimes cannot prove they are the best by the decisions they make, and Alonso has made many mistakes," he said. "He left Ferrari very early and decided to go to McLaren, but the problem with Honda's engine development was already known (then)...

He didn't have another choice. He was let go by Ferrari

Brad, I agree with you, however some people wear tinted glasses, refusing to be bothered by inconvenient facts as those do not fit into their perception of reality.

56 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Brad, I agree with you, however some people wear tinted glasses, refusing to be bothered by inconvenient facts as those do not fit into their perception of reality.

Sakae even if it was widely known in 2014 that Honda were having problems, everyone would have thought that by 2017 they could have solved at least some of these problems. The problem is that Honda seems to be going backwards...

Alonso should have known that he was facing a very very tough 2015, a reasonably tough 2016 and by 2017 he had any reason to believe that they could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't remember Alonso being so publicly annoyed with Honda in 2015. I think that in 2017 Alonso has a very good point, and the fact that other people suffering for the failures of Honda are even more critical of Alonso IMHO speaks volumes

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36339.html

why do you always pick on Alonso and avoid mentioning what Boulier or the others are saying about Honda?

furthermore, if Alonso is such a bad team player and all the rest that you and Radical keep on saying on this forum, why is Honda willing to pay him over 30m per year if he stays with them for the foreseable future? If the bosses at Honda were to think that 1% of what you say is true they would be happy to let him go asap, whereas that doesn't seem the case, apparently they would be very very happy if he decided to stay with them: why is this the case? Maybe they reckon that Alosno has always delivered his side of the bargain and that the defaulting party in that relationship is Honda?

26 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Sakae even if it was widely known in 2014 that Honda were having problems, everyone would have thought that by 2017 they could have solved at least some of these problems. The problem is that Honda seems to be going backwards...

Alonso should have known that he was facing a very very tough 2015, a reasonably tough 2016 and by 2017 he had any reason to believe that they could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't remember Alonso being so publicly annoyed with Honda in 2015. I think that in 2017 Alonso has a very good point, and the fact that other people suffering for the failures of Honda are even more critical of Alonso IMHO speaks volumes

why do you always pick on Alonso and avoid mentioning what Boulier or the others are saying about Honda?

furthermore, if Alonso is such a bad team player and all the rest that you and Radical keep on saying on this forum, why is Honda willing to pay him over 30m per year if he stays with them for the foreseable future? If the bosses at Honda were to think that 1% of what you say is true they would be happy to let him go asap, whereas that doesn't seem the case, apparently they would be very very happy if he decided to stay with them: why is this the case? Maybe they reckon that Alosno has always delivered his side of the bargain and that the defaulting party in that relationship is Honda?

They insisted on a big name with their re-entry into F1 hybrid era. Unfortunately, or fortunately I should say... the other top drivers were already taken. 

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

They insisted on a big name with their re-entry into F1 hybrid era. Unfortunately, or fortunately I should say... the other top drivers were already taken. 

maybe the fact that no other top driver is even considering driving for them means something?

not to mention the fact that Vettel is out of contract for next season, if the only reason why they are willing to keep Alonso onboard for the future is that no one else is available they should remember that Vettel at the moment is available for next year

maybe they should drop Vettel a line and see what he thinks of the option of driving for McLaren Honda in 2018 :loljump:

4 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

maybe the fact that no other top driver is even considering driving for them means something?

not to mention the fact that Vettel is out of contract for next season, if the only reason why they are willing to keep Alonso onboard for the future is that no one else is available they should remember that Vettel at the moment is available for next year

maybe they should drop Vettel a line and see what he thinks of the option of driving for McLaren Honda in 2018 :loljump:

Its too soon this year to claim that no one wants to partner with Honda. Lauda actually said about Vettel just about a week or so ago, that given a choice Seb would not drive for Mercedes, never mind McLaren, should there be an offer for him. As along as Ferrari wants him, Seb is bolted (mentally) to Maranello. That's his spiritual home. Vettel is not in love with McLaren, if my recollection is correct. 

2 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Its complicated. My "love" for this person is older than hybrid era. Him playing martyr, right or wrong, is not helping. Whinnying is whinnying, and enough is enough. That is valid for all of them.

That was a great ROP session, apparently. In any case evrybody seemed happy and delighted. Excited to see how this goes! 

Yeah, ROP has prescribed lap times, so that's why he ends up with a best time 20 mph average faster than his initial laps.

His fastest average speed was 222.548 mph. On the opening day of practice last year, he would have been ranked 26th in what would have been a 34-car field including him. Of course, that's not super fair, because the practice was not single-car runs, and a "tow" can add 2–3 mph to your average speed (drafting behind another car). If you see articles online comparing it to the pole speed from last year, that is quite stupid—the cars run a ton of extra boost on the turbo for qualifying to artificially inflate the speed for "the show," so there's no comparing at all. That's worth about 4–5 mph on your average lap speed (2–3 mph to a lap with a "tow").

Anyway, the key to speed at Indy is all about "trimming out." The driver who can run with the least downforce (to have the least drag) without wrecking/without scrubbing off too much corner speed (you want your trap speed to be about 4 mph higher than your lap average; in qualifying, you're looking for a 235 mph trap and a 231 mph average. Some guys will hit 237 trap and end up at a 228 average because they had no grip, and if you scrub off speed, it screws up your shifting plan and how your gears were set up for that).

Point is: Alonso would not have been trimmed today for ROP or for learning the car and track. He'd have maximum oval downforce to have a clean day. Fully trimmed, and with a tow, you could see him easily hitting the low 228 mph marks that paced practices last year pre-boost (2 mph from the tow and 4 mph from really taking out the drag).

He has a fast enough car. If he can be comfortable (and no reason a driver of his caliber can't be) driving the car with very limited downforce, he'll be a contender.

Yeah I watched the ROP and their comments very much agreed with yours. Yet, they also mentioned that nobody expected him to post competitive times so soon, taking also into account that they have to rush through the programme due to the weather. They liked his methodical approach. They felt he was taking this seriously and respected that (and why shouldn't he?)

Zak Brown, Mario A. and the journalist and some Bernie Ecclestone Indy Supremo kind of guy seemed truly excited about all this. Zak Brown, in particular, sounded like a kid in Christmas, he was having the time of his life. And they mentioned that ticket sales were second highest in the past 20 years, so that also helps. 

If this goes well (and for that Alonso doesn´t even have to win) I hope they start to coordinate calendars between top moltorsports to allow more of these moves. Sad that F1 format conspires to allowing reciprocal treatment. I don't think we'll see Graham Rahal driving a Mercedes or Ferrari car around Silverstone any time soon.

English is not my first language, but even I can understand from that article that Carey's criticism is aimed more towards the current status of F1 than to Alonso

Read it again. The article is written in straightforward manner. Carey is wearing brave face, and I gather he will not block drivers in the future from attending races outside F1 (if there is no scheduling or any other conflict?), but in this case we have:

Formula One Group CEO Chase Carey admits he would have preferred to see Fernando Alonso race at Monaco rather than at the Indy 500

There is no ambiguity here. He is then admitting due to situation at McLaren (PU), he is letting this one slide.

It is however also true that he is critical of the F1, mostly BE, but for different reasons, and not in this article. That's how I read it.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Read it again. The article is written in straightforward manner.

agreed, Carey is very clear "I would love to have Fernando in Monaco, driving a car with the possibility to win the race.  But unfortunately, this does not seem possible in the short term": that does look rather straightfoward to me.