Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Alonso

Wow!  Shocking that the F1 CEO would rather have one of the world's best drivers in F1.  Make you bet the NASCAR CEO wishes Alonso was racing their Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte that night, too.

F1 owes Alonso nothing, and Alonso owes F1 nothing.  Alonso is an individual who has a contract solely with McLaren.  His relationship with F1 is merely that he must comply with F1's rules to be a licensed competitor.  Alonso's only obligation to be in Monaco was to McLaren, and McLaren initiated this entire thing, not Alonso.  Alonso had never even watched an Indy 500 before.

Alonso if one of two drivers nominated by McLaren to drive, promote, blah blah for the F1 series. His name is on the FiA's list of official drivers for this year. Other than being incapacitated, there is no other excuse in the books which would allow him to play hooky and don't show up for the contested race. You know, the one which contributes how large pool of money there is to divide in December. Textbook case of promoting your own product, not competition's one. 

Why FiA is silent on the issue remains to be explained, but looks like no one cares - it's Alonso after all.

Mark Webber believes that Fernando Alonso’s decision to ditch Moanco and contest the Indianapolis 500 this year is clear indication of who is the real boss at McLaren.

Speaking to AS, Webber said, “The decision to skip Monaco and to race at the Indy 500 shows that it is Alonso who is currently running McLaren, he is the real boss of the team, his relationship with them is clearly at a critical point.

Nice. Based on results, he must be very successful at it.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Nice. Based on results, he must be very successful at it.

you forgot to mention that it's Nando who designed the Honda engine, disguised as a japanese engineer he deliberately sabotaged Honda's effort, if it wasn't for him they'd be challening Ferrari for the lead of the WDC as well as the WCC B)

`Nando will NOT join ANOTHER team,  he may say that he is open to offers.
But he will NOT join another team, that will ONLY show that he has WASTED the last
few years,  waiting for Honda to get it right & FINALLY deliver

Next week Alonso will start with his free practices, and driving through traffic will be something interesting to watch, considering how good he is at that in F1. There's also a surprising amount of interest in America, considering that for the outsider Alonso has hardly done anything remarkable for the past 10 years (F1 public knows better, though). In any case, I think it will be a win win both for Indy and F1 worlds.

8 hours ago, Quiet One said:

Next week Alonso will start with his free practices, and driving through traffic will be something interesting to watch, considering how good he is at that in F1. There's also a surprising amount of interest in America, considering that for the outsider Alonso has hardly done anything remarkable for the past 10 years (F1 public knows better, though). In any case, I think it will be a win win both for Indy and F1 worlds.

Certainly, it is a win-win for Alonso and Indy.

F1 is something else. It is so invested in idolatry that, let's be honest, anything less than worship is dismissed outright. This forum was once packed with lewisterics until Hamilton was shown to be less than god. His "fans" nearly all disappeared as soon as RBR built a supercar. But the same eventually happened to the Vettelites. No supercar, no god. Nothing new, of course. The same had happened before with Schumacher and before with...

From a human point of view, this is a lose-lose for the haters. If Alonso does well, they will go catatonic and pretend it never happened. If Alonso does anything other than win, they will claim that their delusions have been justified all along.

It's quite sad. Truly pitiful. Yet, a forever reoccurring substantial part of F1.

Just scrolling down the page, one can see the headlines made just for them "Alonso, ultimatum, blah, blah"...

Why all that extreme language? If someone disagrees with Alonso's choices, he will be sent to that unmentionable place? Sounds very authoritarian. People just working up themselves into frenzy really for nothing. That win-win mantra remains to be explained and proven. Right now it's nothing but an opinion, and I am hoping to be forgiven for saying, not a very good one. The guy who for past ten years really didn't do anything other than lived on c#cktails, making series of bad personal decisions now will save the F1? I will wait for that one.

I should add to the litany in the earlier post - Vettel never said that Alonso or Hamilton are bad drivers. They both however did say that about Vettel, and repeated number of times. Oppugnant relationship exists, no doubt about it, but they are forgiven.

No one should complain then this outfit is not consistent. Hasegawa must be at the tipping edge of stress. 

the engine in Alonso's car that went pop yesterday was a brand spanking new unit, it lasted 1 km!!!! :o 

And there's even someone who says that Alonso will be booed by the Japanese fans come their home GP, I think that such people should think a bit harder at what is going on and boo someone else (and in the jmeantime apologise to Alonso, to Vandoorne and to McLaren, irrespectively on what we think of them they do not deserve this)

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/clamoroso-la-power-unit-di-alonso-era-nuova-si-e-rotta-dopo-1-km-905065/

Apology is appropriate for someone who has done something wrong and caused harm purposely, however I doubt that's a case here, counsellor.

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Apology is appropriate for someone who has done something wrong and caused harm purposely, however I doubt that's a case here, counsellor.

hubris is not a crime but it certainly is something silly and that can cause harm, including to others. Hubris is Honda's problem, they thought that they knew better, they didn't need the help of anyone, they were going to teach everyone else a lesson, all they have managed to do is become a laughing stock and in the process do substantial harm to their partners. IMHO that is more than enough for a public apology, and such an apology IMHO is also long overdue

Are you aware that there are people like Fernely (and his colleagues), who are actually quoted as blocking any external assistance to Honda to speed up the recovery process. In my (small and modest) world people like them needs to apologies. All that crass language...  

4 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Are you aware that there are people like Fernely (and his colleagues), who are actually quoted as blocking any external assistance to Honda to speed up the recovery process. In my (small and modest) world people like them needs to apologies. All that crass language...  

why should Fernely apologise? They are there to compete, if Mercedes were to help Honda they might take away points from Force India, why should Force India give away their hard earned points only because the people at Honda don't know how to build an half decent F1 Power Unit? 

Why? For greater good of the F1.

Competitive McLaren might be good for F1, and should take precedent over some petty selfishness of FI. Where was Fernely when FOM was helping RBR?

36 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Why? For greater good of the F1.

Competitive McLaren might be good for F1, and should take precedent over some petty selfishness of FI. Where was Fernely when FOM was helping RBR?

for the greater good of F1 Mercedes should be allowed to help Honda only on the basis that this season and next year any Honda powered team doesn't score WDC points, otherwise helping Honda means taking away reasources (I mean $$$) from other teams since it's not Force india's fault if Honda cannot build a decent PU and they shouldn't be penalised for Honda's failures.

furthermore I seriuosly doubt that Mercedes would be able to walk away from a court of law with no damages imposed upon them if with their action they were to provide a competing team with an advantage over one of their customers, this whole story of helping Honda is not as simple as it looks.

however you put this whole story Honda has made a very big mess and they have become a liability for the whole of F1

Isn't FiA helping every year to someone for whatever reasons? From incomprehensible set of rules in the name of saving and helping entities like FI, to cancelling token system in the name of recovery, etc. FI undoubtedly has benefited from a such helping hand, thus Fernely's position is inexcusable. There is no pure course, and if one would take time, I am sure that helping Honda could be justified on basis of similar precedents from the past. Besides, Honda did not asked for help. I am actually not sure who started this, but it was not them, so much I've heard.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/226038/reports-suggest-mclaren-and-honda-to-split

Just under 2 seconds OFF pole, 1.9!!
THAT should please Nando, showing that Honda ARE making improvements, 
He just NEEDS to FINISH the race now, hoping that he makes a good start.
Anything is possible.  Well not anything, I doubt that he can WIN.

Hopefully it SHOULD please him.
IF things work out,  maybe Mclaren DON`T need a Mercedes PU.

The lawnmower boys might finally be producing something.
Lets just wait and see what happens.

Anything can happen in F1,  as Murrey used to say;
"IF is F1 spelt backwards"

18 hours ago, Sakae said:

Isn't FiA helping every year to someone for whatever reasons? From incomprehensible set of rules in the name of saving and helping entities like FI, to cancelling token system in the name of recovery, etc. FI undoubtedly has benefited from a such helping hand, thus Fernely's position is inexcusable. There is no pure course, and if one would take time, I am sure that helping Honda could be justified on basis of similar precedents from the past. Besides, Honda did not asked for help. I am actually not sure who started this, but it was not them, so much I've heard.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/226038/reports-suggest-mclaren-and-honda-to-split

Sakae (i) there's a fundamental difference between trying to create a level playing field and having one manufacturer transfer some of their technology to another manufacturer who hasn't got what it takes to be in F1, and (ii) if Honda didn't ask Mercedes' help and if they don't want it they should say "no thanks", that would be it, we're in this mess because Honda needs that help, without it they're going nowehere.

And sure it's not them who started this, but Honda has become a major liability for the whole of F1 and so someone thought that something had to be done

7 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Sakae (i) there's a fundamental difference between trying to create a level playing field and having one manufacturer transfer some of their technology to another manufacturer who hasn't got what it takes to be in F1, and (ii) if Honda didn't ask Mercedes' help and if they don't want it they should say "no thanks", that would be it, we're in this mess because Honda needs that help, without it they're going nowehere.

And sure it's not them who started this, but Honda has become a major liability for the whole of F1 and so someone thought that something had to be done

Level playing field. Magic words, however, F1 has two rule books (tech. and sporting) which applies to them all, there is your level playing field, yet there is nothing about any other field must be achieved. Maybe it is FI, me too outfit, which hasn't got what it takes to be in F1, that is, resources available to automakers. President of FiA told them all some time ago, if you cannot afford it, leave. I do actually agree with him about it. Historically GP never was a series of equals. It is a privilege space where glamor, excess, noise, beautiful places, beautiful women, charming men, allure for masses to look and hold breath how society opulence flourishes. Price of Ferrari and Mercedes is very much aligned to that image. It used to be a dream, diversion from daily chore. Maybe a lot of this was trampled upon by "me too" outfits, and unfortunately decline of interest might not be as mysterious as some pretend to be. Honda belongs, FI (and alike) might not.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Maybe it is FI, me too outfit, which hasn't got what it takes to be in F1, that is, resources available to automakers. 

they don't have the $$$ of some manufacturers but yet they are far far ahead of some of them :tiphat: how is that possible? B) and the same applies to others, Williams for example, STR another example, how come these small team with a budget that is a fraction of the manufacturer in question be so far ahead?