Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Alonso

5 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

they don't have the $$$ of some manufacturers but yet they are far far ahead of some of them :tiphat: how is that possible? B) and the same applies to others, Williams for example, STR another example, how come these small team with a budget that is a fraction of the manufacturer in question be so far ahead?

PU has been developed for minnows by somebody else, they cannot take credit for that, and trickery of last three years played by restrictiveness created by technical playing rules which is behind misery of many teams. One or two small teams benefitted, others have not, some even got damaged first three years.

Honda, missed a lot (meetings with FiA since 2010 as the others have for them to understand nuances of the development, first year hands-on experience, etc.) Simple cause & effect, but hardly incompetence.

18 hours ago, Sakae said:

PU has been developed for minnows by somebody else, they cannot take credit for that, and trickery of last three years played by restrictiveness created by technical playing rules which is behind misery of many teams. One or two small teams benefitted, others have not, some even got damaged first three years.

Honda, missed a lot (meetings with FiA since 2010 as the others have for them to understand nuances of the development, first year hands-on experience, etc.) Simple cause & effect, but hardly incompetence.

so Honda is a victim and the other teams undeservingly gain from Honda's misfortunes?

2 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

so Honda is a victim and the other teams undeservingly gain from Honda's misfortunes?

Not by so many words. :lol:  Victim or not, that's not a point. I have merely try to rationalize within its proper context, why they are facing different set, and probably more of challenges than their competitors. Do not forget while their peers are accelerating as they got over the hump and gap is increasing, it look much worse for Honda than probably it is. I am not, by any means, apologist for Honda, but I do stand on the sideline as a casual observer who is trying to read optics slightly more accurately than merely in simplistic and dismissive terms.

But Mercedes team chairman Lauda told Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper: “It’s all nonsense. Why should we help Honda when we have our own car?” Indeed, the great Austrian tipped Honda to improve on its own.

“There are skilled engineers at Honda, as they show in MotoGP, which is also a state of the art engine,” he said.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

why they are facing different set, and probably more of challenges than their competitors.

They are facing the same issues that Ferrari and Renault had to face a few years ago, Mercedes had an advantage at the beginning of the PU era because it's them who wrote the power units rules and they were already working on this PU format, the only difference between Ferrari and Renault, on one side, and Honda, is that Honda, as a late comer, had the advantage of knowing what its peers were already doing, this should have helped them significantly, pity they decided that they knew best and we all know what happened.

Also I would like to point out a weakness in your argument whereby Honda needs time: last year they were doing much better than this year!!! Last year they managed to come up with a somewhat decent PU, had they developed what they already had rather than start from scratch once again we problably wouldn't be in a situation where Mercedes has to step in to save Honda's face (and in turn save the reputation of F1 as a whole with any manufacturer considering entering the sport)

Honda is working to a different time line, and it makes a huge difference. They came 5 years late to the party. (MB started this project, according to some sources, in 2010). There was an internal change of fundamentals, which resulted in scrapping 2016 prototype (most likely because of its limited performance potential). This is a new design. Meanwhile other teams picking up, and performance gap is increasing, creating optics of ineptness in ranks of Honda. I do not dare to speculate beyond this point as more revelations would be required. My feeling is, that either all is lost (something I sincerely hope will not happen), or this is temporary state of development, and there will be surge in performance once some irritants get out of the way. I've stated several times already, that it is not easy to stay in synch with racing requirements, work on development which might need to run engines on dyno, addressing reliability, etc. I do not envy Hasegawa san, yet I would like to observe his work from close proximity. It could be fun. The man is something else.

2d7dca66afb74e9aaa033056e5b2e821.png

After 5 races Alonso finished just one (last one), he had some DNS, yet he is rated by media a second best driver of the season, right after Vettel. Its mind boggling. I should be used to it by now, yet it always surprises me.

AS - Autosport,   AMuS (German),   Sky, and ESPN.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

2d7dca66afb74e9aaa033056e5b2e821.png

After 5 races Alonso finished just one (last one), he had some DNS, yet he is rated by media a second best driver of the season, right after Vettel. Its mind boggling. I should be used to it by now, yet it always surprises me.

AS - Autosport,   AMuS (German),   Sky, and ESPN.

I must admitt i don't get it either.

Vettel rated as best driver of season!?!?!?

Mind boggling.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

After 5 races Alonso finished just one (last one), he had some DNS, yet he is rated by media a second best driver of the season

his DNFs were not down to mistakes by him, I don't understand why you're surprised, they are praising the effort, he has achieved much better results than that car deserves, last saturday was a case in point, without Alonso that car would have never moved into Q2 let alone Q3. The fact that the results are not coming (because his car is unreliable, not because he crashes) doesn't mean that he's not doing a superb job

Vettel has been evaluated on 290 racing laps (1538 km of racing). Alonso, due to not fault on his own, finished just one race, and laps he drove were executed hardly under competitive thrust. I am not sure what was actually evaluated in Alonso's case that he managed to climb into P2.  

Just now, Sakae said:

Vettel has been evaluated on 290 racing laps (1538 km of racing). Alonso, due to not fault on his own, finished just one race, and laps he drove were executed hardly under competitive thrust. I am not sure what was actually evaluated in Alonso's case that he managed to climb into P2.  

maybe you don't want to see why he has been rated so highly? Sorry if I say so but you seem to be spending a considerable amount of time trrying to talk Alonso down (and come up with excuses for Honda's failures), I am asking on a very friendly basis but isn't it that maybe you don't really like Alonso very much and you have a soft spot for Honda? :cheers:

Just now, Sakae said:

I like several automobile companies, not only Honda. :)

but they all make mistakes, I like Alfa and Lancia a lot but if I think of what cars they were procuding a few years ago at the very best I laugh at them

I have no sentimental relationship to some cars, but if it helps, I like Italy. Internet is too short for me to name all, what makes my Italian day, and any speech about it would be almost as long as what Sebastian can muster after the race (darn guy). :P

You people are unhinged.

Mercedes and Ferrari are fighting for the championship and the top thread continues to be about hating on Alonso.

I just can't be bothered parsing through the loony.

Here is a hug and a good luck to you lot.

Number of topics related to the sport, regulatory aspects, and business were raised on this forum and remained untouched. Mentioning Alonso's place on the grid however managed to raise noise. 

Looking at the rapid development and improvement by Mclaren-Honda.
If things continue at the current level - Alonso WILL be regularly IN the points
THIS season.  Points WIN prizes !!

Alonso STILL has time THIS season.
Nobody is running away with the WDC

After the break, a good run of points by Mclaren-Honda ...
Who knows what will happen -YOU heard it here FIRST.

Speaking to Blick, Lauda said of Alonso, “He is certainly not on our wish list.

Maybe Mr. Lauda is not that religious about this driver.

52 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Maybe Mr. Lauda is not that religious about this driver.

He never was and fair play to him.

Taking that into account, that interview was actuallly quite flattering for the Spaniard and anything but "closing the door" for Alonso.

"He (Alonso) is certainly not on our wish list. We are fully satisfied with Hamilton and Bottas," said Lauda.

"But as my partner Toto Wolff has said: 'never say never'."

F1 legend Lauda said he admires the move.

“I am following Alonso’s adventure closely,” the Mercedes team chairman told Blick, a Swiss newspaper.

“A victory at Indy is for eternity. In my time, a team would never have allowed me to go there even though I had offers,” Lauda, who drove for Ferrari and McLaren, added.

“Following the race on TV is a must for me,” he added.

11 minutes ago, Quiet One said:

He never was and fair play to him.

Taking that into account, that interview was actuallly quite flattering for the Spaniard and anything but "closing the door" for Alonso.

"He (Alonso) is certainly not on our wish list. We are fully satisfied with Hamilton and Bottas," said Lauda.

"But as my partner Toto Wolff has said: 'never say never'."

F1 legend Lauda said he admires the move.

“I am following Alonso’s adventure closely,” the Mercedes team chairman told Blick, a Swiss newspaper.

“A victory at Indy is for eternity. In my time, a team would never have allowed me to go there even though I had offers,” Lauda, who drove for Ferrari and McLaren, added.

“Following the race on TV is a must for me,” he added.

The Mercedes garage is getting busy: Hamilton is there for life, Bottas is Toto's godson, Vettel is reported to have signed either some sort of letter of intent or a full blown contract for next season, now Lauda looks very well inclined towards Alonso, I guess that in the next few months we will have something to chat about

12 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

The Mercedes garage is getting busy: Hamilton is there for life, Bottas is Toto's godson, Vettel is reported to have signed either some sort of letter of intent or a full blown contract for next season, now Lauda looks very well inclined towards Alonso, I guess that in the next few months we will have something to chat about

Seriously I doubt that anything will change in the land of MB this year. Alonso will not drive for MB in 2018. I am around Niki Lauda about 40 years, and if he says we do not have him on our list, that's it. He is often quite plain and straight talking. What he thinks however about Alonso is a different matter and probably irrelevant, as I think, to theirs hiring plans. 

Silly season, say about Sep 2018, is another story, and I think Hamilton might be in the middle of it. Will he choose his music and life in US, or is he going to re-sign for another term of racing? News about that contract might be also suggestive whether MB is planning to stay beyond current CA term (2020), or whether they will choose a different platform.

Alonso is NOT goin ANYWHERE !!
He HAS put , ALL his eggs in the Mclaren-Honda project (basket).
If he (Alonso) WERE to move on, he WOULD have wasted the last 2/4 years
of his career. Waiting for Honda to come good!!
Honda & Mclaren are soo close to finally delivering.
It WOULD be a HUGE risk to leave, NOW.
After having faith in the future project.
To NOT have anything to show for the last 2/4 years.
Ultimately means, Alonso WILL stay with the Mclaren-Honda project.
At least until he,  achieves 1 MORE WDC!!!