Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Engines of F1 - now, 2021 and beyond

F1 will "struggle" to agree on 2021 engine rules - Renault

I think budget cap is a flawed concept, however there are some positives in this discussion. Battle ground is defined. Sorry Cyril, but we do not need noise (pollution) either. What we perhaps need is to think and define series first in terms of exclusivity and differential market. 

Listen for example to people like Frederic Vasseur - "What I like is competition, not the car, and the public wants a fight, not a performance". Its a good starting attempt to find essence of being attractive to the fans, but please, do not make a standardized series of it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-plans-fresh-clampdown-on-engine-oil-burn-898149/

Is this the death of Mercedes's magic button? Its about time. Thanks FiA for coming out from hibernation, although mapping trick as an alternative to magic button is a plausible explanation as well. If so, stop it! After qualification get on the starting line and in that state do a race as everyone else.

28 April 2017,  19:24

motosport

The FIA is convinced that the performance of the top three engines in Formula 1 has now converged to be within three tenths of a second.

Following detailed analysis of the performance of the four different power units after the first three races of the season, motor racing’s governing body says its estimates point to Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault being as close as the rules demand.

Honda missed the target, and big way at that. I am not sure what FiA will do now, because initial aim was to declare moratorium on development once a convergence point has been reached. (if my recollection is correct one).

What exactly is the convergence point? When they on equal power and has exhausted all available power benefit from this hybrid formula? There's still the .3 sec's between the engines

28 April 2017,  21:13

I do not recall how did they agree quantitatively to define convergence point, but since the article says 0.3 is "as regulated - read agreed", then that's what it is. Engines never will be the same, so average value among three PU with minor variances to each other (and not exceeding 0.3 sec) will be accepted as "equal" in performance. That's how I understand it. It should be understood that technical parameters that were evaluated in comparative analysis are slightly more sophisticated than what we are discussing here.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

28 April 2017,  19:24

motosport

Honda missed the target, and big way at that. I am not sure what FiA will do now, because initial aim was to declare moratorium on development once a convergence point has been reached. (if my recollection is correct one).

Back to this point...It says as close as the rules demand as per your quote... So i guess you're right on the money... Freezing or capping development on these 3, while Honda is allowed to catch up. 

28 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Back to this point...It says as close as the rules demand as per your quote... So i guess you're right on the money... Freezing or capping development on these 3, while Honda is allowed to catch up. 

Not all three are elated and rushing to help. In my bones I feel this is not end of the story as yet.

13 hours ago, Sakae said:

28 April 2017,  21:13

I do not recall how did they agree quantitatively to define convergence point, but since the article says 0.3 is "as regulated - read agreed", then that's what it is. Engines never will be the same, so average value among three PU with minor variances to each other (and not exceeding 0.3 sec) will be accepted as "equal" in performance. That's how I understand it. It should be understood that technical parameters that were evaluated in comparative analysis are slightly more sophisticated than what we are discussing here.

Does anyone disagree with that? Wait for it, wait....of course it is RBR. Horner cannot probably accept that maybe some of their problems are of RB making. For him faults and underperformance lies with French, and French only, and since they are so far back, PU must be no good.

Recently published articles are very suggestive how new owners think, and while it is too early spending time pondering future, however Carey is no stranger talking about 25 races per season. I gather this would be one of new items in new era of new CA. There are however a lot of unanswered questions on that subject.

1. Teams are optimized for current volume. Expansion means....What? Double and rotating teams on the road? Expansion of works? It is going to be more expensive.

2. Can drivers take it? Maybe. There will be more races in tandem, the season will start earlier, and finishing later. Is too much of good stuff good strategy? Poisonous pill probably. I read about Vettel's schedule outside F1 races when he has to spend time on promotional work, and flying long distances in between. Pretty exhausting, if you ask me. 

3. Forget 5 PU sets. It is going to be more expensive.

4. Manor beating Ferrari in headlines on Monday for all world to read? That's a trend Carey wants to promote?  I have some doubt that's what teams competing with them equal really are after. Mercedes wants to beat cr*p out of Audi, and Ferrari wants to beat cr*p out of both. There is no space for Force India and alike in that equation.

My fortune cookie says - maybe we will have on the grid new names of 10 IRL teams under F1 banner, but who knows for how long. Fact is, teams already began to look around, readying to move on and out and Liberty will have to get grasp with some realities of life in two years time.