Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Mclaren-Honda Alonso

I DON`T believe the media speculation that Mclaren-Honda are about to separate.
The lawnmowers  - Honda, are successful in other formulas. GP2, motorcycles but have not made
it in the big 1 - F1.
They had a good season in the old format with Mclaren, in the days of Prost and Senna.
But the sport has evolved since then.
Honda have tried F1 previously, and even had their own team - Which became Brawn GP & now currently Mercedes.
Winning the WDC with Button - and the double defuser.
Honda want to make it in F1, Mclaren see the potential in Honda.
Mclaren will NOT walk away from being the Works team.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Toto Wolff has hinted Mercedes will not make any changes to its driver lineup for 2018.

It looks like another "door" is closing fast. I thought we would hear that in about four months time.

First Renault, then Merc. The doors are closing fast for the politally creating unstable atmosphere that St. Alfonso brings

It is in human nature to say one thing (for sake of peace in the paddock "family"), and think something else. Nothing new really.

Peers:

“To be honest, I respect his decision but to stop racing in formula one to do another race is not normal. I think it’s not 100 per cent professional,” said the Williams driver.

Massa said it’s possible that Alonso will leave McLaren-Honda at the end of the season.

Exactly in first part, most likely incorrect in second part. Doors to decent teams are either closed, or rapidly closing to him. To prevent media hype, teams are declaring their positions early.

Horner

'RICCIARDO AND VERSTAPPEN TO STAY AT RED BULL IN 2018'

Great driver that he is, if Jens knew his car a little better, he could have been half a second quicker this weekend. Honda still have basic, rudimentary problems with the car but they have clearly made progress. The chassis is good, probably one of the best out there. Could Nando have done much better? I am not sure anyone else wants him whereas JB could easily swop seats with Massa, Raikkonen, Hulk, K-Mag or even Bottas. However don't  expect him to do another race, even Silverstone as he is obviously happy with Brittny and the dogs living on down on Big Sur and doing the odd Ironman here and there. he is trying to get Rally Cross going in the US and has had offers to join NASCAR.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/la-honda-ammette-che-la-sua-mgu-h-puo-durare-al-massimo-2-gp-911527/

Honda had to admit that their MGU-H can last only 2 races, but the problem is Alonso who, after 3 years fighting as a lion, has wished to try his hand at Indy (and by looking at how much interest this generated it turned out to be a great move from McLaren and their sponsors...)  :rolleyes:

Yep, I am hearing it raised somewhat fame and profile of Indy and McLaren, whereas regarding F1, not that much, if not exactly opposite. If that was the intent, than mission accomplished.  :congrats:

Sliding doors
As 1 door closes another door opens
Like I have previously said,
`Nando will NOT leave the Mclaren-Honda project WITHOUT a WDC
All other seats are quickly being taken, appearing to leave him with little options.
He joined at the beginning of the project - why would he walk away now,  with NOTHING to show for 2/3 years?
We all know that Honda have vast resources.
It is just the restrictions with the testing regulations.
Next year with Sauber also running the lawnmowers - Honda
McLaren will be able to improve quicker
Suber can test updates..
McLaren - the works team, WILL be able to go live WITH the updates & improvements, without having to test them 
Immediate benefit to Mclaren   

`Nando at Indy 500, is a sweetner by Mclaren-Honda
Giving him something to focus on whilst the lawnmower guys are working in Japan.
How GOOD would it be ALL-ROUND for `Nando to achieve success.  

Maybe Takuma Sato should take over at McLaren. He seems to have more luck keeping his Honda equipment clicking when it counts.

Alonso looked positively happy and upbeat in his post-race Indy interview. I haven't seen much of that side of Alonso in the while.

Anyhow, the 15 grid-spot penalty for McLaren at Monoco was for Alonso's car...so probably best to have him in the U.S. and let Button deal with what was going to be completely wasted weekend anyway.

I think it is good for the long-term health of the sport that F1 drivers get out driving elsewhere now and then. Suspect it is also good for their mental health.

He said that he is "definitely" coming back next year. What does that says about his commitment to F1 after being paid hideous amounts of money? If he plans to quit and move to Indy, fine, but if he plans to miss some races in May 2018, than I think someone needs to step in, and apply brakes on it.

Sato Takuma kicked Alonso's behind ! :P

TAKUMA SATO FINALLY REWARDS HONDA FOR THEIR PATIENCE

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

Maybe Takuma Sato should take over at McLaren. He seems to have more luck keeping his Honda equipment clicking when it counts.

+100 !! :thumb:

Is it too early to term Alonso's relationship with sophisticated machinery as monumental mismatch? Breaking Honda stuff, be it here or there seems rather trendy with him. :lol:

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Is it too early to term Alonso's relationship with sophisticated machinery as monumental mismatch? Breaking Honda stuff, be it here or there seems rather trendy with him. :lol:

perhaps better for him to return to Renault and Takuma takes his McLaren seat:P

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

He said that he is "definitely" coming back next year. What does that says about his commitment to F1 after being paid hideous amounts of money? If he plans to quit and move to Indy, fine, but if he plans to miss some races in May 2018, than I think someone needs to step in, and apply brakes on it.

Well, I have always felt that F1 should de-conflict their calendar with Indy Cars and Sports Car racing to at least allow them to run Indy and Le Mans. How did it hurt F1 for Jim Clark and Graham Hill to win Indy? It helped put F1 on the map in the U.S. They were known figures in the U.S. in the 1960s and I remember watching them on the Ed Sullivan show racing slot cars (along with Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart). F1 drivers are anonymous now in the U.S. If they are going to grow F1 in the U.S. (which is something like 22% of the world market)....then a little visibility is good for the sport. Alonso turned out to be a very good ambassador for F1.

Next year we go back to what - 21 races and tight schedule. From my rudimentary familiarity with Indy, I think a driver should be in US on full time basis at least two months prior the race. There is some work to be done. There is no way Alonso will drive all race in F1 and in addition one in US. FOG/FiA should ask for clarification how is McLaren planning to execute their obligation to the F1 series.

BTW your 22% quoted above is totally irrelevant (in my very, very humble opinion) to a case how FOG will convert Americans and make them believers and disciples of F1.  People can live on credit only for so long, and than you need cash stashed under your bed. Tickets are expensive, and Visas are max, max, max.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Sakae said:

FOG/FiA should ask for clarification how is McLaren planning to execute their obligation to the F1 series

F1 IS a TEAM  sport. McLaren-Honda have so far FULLY executed THEIR obligation to the F1 series (2017).

Interesting statistic Re:Indy 500.  It WERE won by a Honda powered driver!!!

I was talking about next year (Alonso wants to try Indy again), but whatever.

BTW, I think you are not entirely right that McLaren fulfilled its obligation by letting their star driver to move out. Prosperity of the series has many contributing elements, of which fans being drawn to a driver is one of those.  If however fans move away, and watch another series, than income drops, and a promoter of an F1 event feels it at the cash register. Case can be made that some segment of viewership was deprived of Alonso's absence. Whether they left the show, tuned to something else, or stayed is a good question. A question how large impact his absence had is however legitimate.

Re:I think you are not entirely right that McLaren fulfilled its obligation by letting their star driver to move out.
>Alonso IS contracted to McLaren Honda
It IS at Mclaren Honda`s discretion just HOW his services ARE utilized.
He WERE a star over in the US.
It is just that Honda could NOT deliver.
By your theory, Honda should NOT be allowed in F1 either !!

Lol the hating! Arguments couldn't be more childish.

Indy was a joy to watch, even if it seemed kind of a slow burner even by F1 standards. It was great to see Sato winning. Shame to see Alonso DNF, but he was not racing there to earn some points for a championship, it was win or bust. And he was impressive by all accounts. McLaren's abysmal display at Monaco (were they used to be kings!) was more than enough proof that they did the right thing. It was uplifting for Mclaren as a whole (Zak Brown, Eric Boullier et al. didn't just go there to keep Alonso happy. It was a huge PR success by all accounts).

Alonso enjoyed the extra attention, which is only fair, considering that the guy has always given just as much in return.

McLaren enjoyed the extra attention, so much that they used it to compensate their sponsors giving them free space on Alonso's car to compensate for the disaster that McHonda is at the moment.

Honda had Sato winning and being watched by all the world, and that can never hurt.

Indy earned not just publicity outside the US, but also respect outside the US which is something the F1 superior race is not always willing to give, even after the past humbling seasons. 

And finally, F1 has recoverd some respect itself, though many still think it is some sort of isolated Mt.Olympus of motorsports demigods. These has brought back memories from when F1 was actually the best among other motorsports, and not just an exclusive club of mediocre drivers with money, a couple of brilliant drivers and a bunch of old farts in a sanitized circus. F1 should embrace its ties to other motorsports, not look down on them.

And finally, it was damn fun!