Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Help Honda

OK,

So the lawnmower company (Honda) can ONLY come up with going to Mercedes for help.

You would think that there would be some guys in Japan able to work it out

Several teams, some quite open about it (RBR, FI), others perhaps less open, are part of resistance in the paddock for active teams helping Honda (as a competitor). I am actually unaware whether Honda requested help. Sounds more of impatience by fans of McLaren who insist on that to see their team propelled to the front, and stronger Honda could help in that effort. 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

I am actually unaware whether Honda requested help.

If the don't want to be helped they could very easily close this issue by saying that they don't want/need any external help from one of the their competitors (:rofl: )

The fact that they have never declined Mercedes' offer seems to suggest that they really want/need such help

Depends what kind of help. If Honda deem to have their situation under control, and all what they do need is more time, than there is our answer in part, why there was no request. Engineering quite often actually faces situations in which resources applied reach point of saturation, and any additional hands will not improve time-line, and project will suffer from inefficiencies and redundancies. Fact however is, real or alternative, that I do not have access to the situational analysis, thus there is no point for me to speculate. Help of course would be impactful, if Honda is facing a technical challenge which has been resolved elsewhere, and they do not have a solution of their own. A hint would be nice, but Horner, Fernley and alike however would not permit that. So much is clear, thus why to get humiliated even more? 

Divorce in the offing? Explains some mystical comments by Kaltenborn. (Honda will supply xxx and MORE).

18 hours ago, Sakae said:

Depends what kind of help. If Honda deem to have their situation under control, and all what they do need is more time, than there is our answer in part, why there was no request. Engineering quite often actually faces situations in which resources applied reach point of saturation, and any additional hands will not improve time-line, and project will suffer from inefficiencies and redundancies. Fact however is, real or alternative, that I do not have access to the situational analysis, thus there is no point for me to speculate. Help of course would be impactful, if Honda is facing a technical challenge which has been resolved elsewhere, and they do not have a solution of their own. A hint would be nice, but Horner, Fernley and alike however would not permit that. So much is clear, thus why to get humiliated even more? 

Divorce in the offing? Explains some mystical comments by Kaltenborn. (Honda will supply xxx and MORE).

Their approach to F1 is: when everyone else goes to the right, we go to the left

this looks to me to be the most interesting sentence from Boulier's interview and possibly the reason why we are stuck in this situation

I have a weak spot for people who do try new things (as opposed to copying and stealing ideas). Leaders lead, and sometimes they do so alone in pursuing new ideas. Price of failure or victory are included. We should applaud it. That's raw F1 for you. Alonso said last year, paraphrasing, if it works, their will be a best engine on the grid. I like Eric, but here I think he is wrong voicing such thoughts, because if he was nervous about Honda's departure from established concepts, and he wanted to mitigate risk, he should have said so (and convinced his colleagues about his position) when Honda presented their plan a year or two ago. Today he should bite his nails, and keep quiet.

19 hours ago, Sakae said:

I have a weak spot for people who do try new things (as opposed to copying and stealing ideas). Leaders lead, and sometimes they do so alone in pursuing new ideas. Price of failure or victory are included. We should applaud it. That's raw F1 for you. Alonso said last year, paraphrasing, if it works, their will be a best engine on the grid. I like Eric, but here I think he is wrong voicing such thoughts, because if he was nervous about Honda's departure from established concepts, and he wanted to mitigate risk, he should have said so (and convinced his colleagues about his position) when Honda presented their plan a year or two ago. Today he should bite his nails, and keep quiet.

Honda will survive with to without McLaren. It will just take some time. Perhaps Sauber may be the team to match them. Either way, Honda has the ability to get back there.

Realistically speaking, divorce or not, McLaren has nowhere to go for next 2.5 years. I do not see anyone selling them a PU voluntarily, should Honda pull out. In worst case FOG and FiA would have to get involved and twist some arms on their behalf. 

I've been actually in US and watched the race on TV, when Penske run three cars with pushrod Mercedes engines - and won that race. Today I do consider hybrid era much more interesting. (But it looks like on this forum it is just me).