Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Austria

With the next GP (Grand Prix)
In Austria - the HOME of Red Bull
Fernando HAS ensured that, Red Bull Racing will NOT be the focus.
MUCH will be made of Honda - bringing focus away from the fizzy drink.

If Vettel gets any points on his super license in this race, there is an automatic race ban. So...I guess he is going to have to be on his best behavior. Does this mean that other drivers will be more tempted to lean into him?

Well, watched FP 2 (actually fast forwarded through much of it). Hamilton 1....Vettel 2......again demonstrating that neither of the Finnish teammates on either team appears to quite up to snuff.

They also reshowed the Hamilton/Vettel incidents ad naseum. It was a very sharp turn into Hamilton. Hard to believe that someone could argue that this was an accident. David Hobbs (a favorite commentator of mine) stated that Vettel should have had his points eliminated for the Baku race and have been banned a race.

Saw the interview today with Ocon and Perez. Ocon was merrily stating it was just a racing incident....Perez still was not happy (and I don't blame him). Don't think this is the last clash between these two.

Ocon and Perez are demonstrating again on a smaller scale what happens, when you have two Alpha males driving for the same team. Some might like it, others do not. Not exactly a new phenomenon. Is it most effective means running a team? Team ownership has to decide what's more important (not a straightforward answer); interest of the team, or what fans want?

Hamilton's weekend so far (after FP3): Engine failure in FP1, gearbox change overnight, brake failure in FP3. 

Just now, BradSpeedMan said:

Vettel with a blistering lap. Hope he can replicate it comes qualifying.... Concerns with the gearboxes for Merc

hmmm

Statement has been issued already - nothing to do with Vettel.

Seb qualified about half car length behind Bottas on the grid. Assuming Bottas will not take him out in first corner, it will be all good in a race.

HAMILTON NOT FOCUSING ON WINNING THE AUSTRIAN GP

In that case I recommend an IPad, and cold glass of lemonade in the back room.

Well, could be an interesting start...with Vettel beside Bottas and DR on the second row......and Vestappen in 5th.....

They are all good starters, however whether machine will cooperate that's a different story. Bottas is pretty good, but Vettel is not exactly slouch. 

No, this is not Baku, but we remember 2016 Austria, last lap. 

Hamilton's winning ways. Maybe he forgot what he has done to Rosberg next time he gets too mad with Vetttel in public.

Austria.gif

Sky Sports interrogated Todt about Baku incident. I wonder if they also enquire about last year Hamilton's driving, but for some reasons probably not.

Congratulation to Bottas. Seb, loosing in P2 by 0.658 sec is heart breaking, but that's life. Seb drove wheels off that Ferrari, however MB seems to hold upper hand right now.  Ferrari's drive for WCC might be in serious jeopardy.

As strange as it might sound, Honda ARE Winning
I DOUBT that McLaren WILL divorce from  Honda - or take a break
If Nando had not been forced out after the collision, up to P10
SVD FINISHED the race
This is progress from McLaren Honda

Bottas was deemed by a few drivers for jumping the start, which was latter refuted by the stewards. But it showed him having a .2 sec delay after the start. I watch the top a fuellers and they can have a .005 second delay so .2 is slow by those standards :-) 

Both, Vettel and Ricciardo suggested that Bottas was slightly quicker out of the gate than rest of them.  It was Vettel who said that 0.2 sec reaction is average for F1 drivers. Someone later checked Bottas wheels which appeared rotating while lights still were on. FiA however declared no foul, because it was acceptable (clutch related) deviation. 

Bottas obviously did not reacted to lights, but let it go prematurely, however having luck on his side, lights went off about the same time and saved him.

11 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Both, Vettel and Ricciardo suggested that Bottas was slightly quicker out of the gate than rest of them.  It was Vettel who said that 0.2 sec reaction is average for F1 drivers. Someone later checked Bottas wheels which appeared rotating while lights still were on. FiA however declared no foul, because it was acceptable (clutch related) deviation. 

Bottas obviously did not reacted to lights, but let it go prematurely, however having luck on his side, lights went off about the same time and saved him.

I think that Bottas did what many drivers do when they want to get away fast (and are willing to take a risk), he simply went "4, 3, 2, 1, go!" and nailed it without looking at the lights, it's not uncommon, they even teach you this at racing schools. 

Good old Virgil used to say "audentes fortuna iuvat", Bottas was very bold yesterday, I agree that his car moved before the lights went off (and it had nothing to do with him engaging first, he had engaged first gear long time before that) the point is that they have sensors in their cars as well as in the tarmac, there is a certain amount of space that they are allowed to move before the red lights are turned off, Bottas was within those limits so well done to him. apart from that he had a great start, very linear, further proof that he didn't even look at the lights, he just concerntrated on what he was doing

for mine Bottas was just "SWITCHED ON" well done as was the replay showing Alonso getting off the grid pretty fast.

either way it did not make any difference to the race outcome, Bottas just drove a superb race  well done and I did love the camaraderie in the drivers get together after the race before the presentation. Something that does not happen when the almighty (in his mind) HAMMY  is there :-( 

14 minutes ago, rodders47 said:

either way it did not make any difference to the race outcome, Bottas just drove a superb race  well done and I did love the camaraderie in the drivers get together after the race before the presentation. Something that does not happen when the almighty (in his mind) HAMMY  is there :-( 

I've been thinking exactly the same, but really didn't want to start WW3 on the forum.

I am not sure who is the author of this table, but I am hoping to be forgiven for re-print. It's interesting.

dJRXjYU.png