Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

HALO

What is everyones thoughts on this Halo thing.  I have some doubts about it's effectiveness and also the Crash aspects of the whole thing. At the moment the top of the tub and the roll over bar protect the driver, but as this HALO is bolted, or it appears that way, to the tub what will stop it from being ripped off in a severe roll over and becoming more of a projectile to wipe out the drivers head ???

The halo is better than the shield.

Having said that, it is a step in the wrong direction stylistically, which is to say, who cares compared to other regulations that are totally wrecking F1.

So, bring it on, I say. The guys might as well be safer while they are preoccupied "looking after their tires" and such other imbecilities instead of pushing to the limit lap after lap.

I'd be extremely uncomfortable in driving a car with the Halo, one the one hand it is a focus point in the field of vision of the drivers and I'd be afraid that if I rolled the car it would be more difficult to get out (or to pull me out if I had passed away). In fairness when they introduced the HANS I thought that it was dangerous because you could no longer turn your head easily and it limited quite significantly what you could see out of a car. I changed my mind about the HANS, I fear I won't change my mind about the Halo (I have been pulled from a car that was slowly catching fire while I was unconcious, I don't think that it would have been so quick with the Halo)

I agree that it looks ghastly and seems really uncomfortable for driving, but I guess practice will make drivers ignore its presence. As for the safety issue, these cars are not the flammable tank on wheels they used to be. Nowadays it's more of a hazard a hit to the head a la Bianchi or Grosjean trying to shave Alonso's head than a car fire. Then again, I am quite sure that (gods forbid) if there was to be a fatality due to a fire, F1 safety boffins will come up with another "definitive" safety device that will save drivers from fires, but will create a hundred new hazards...such is the way of the Formula One.

8 hours ago, Quiet One said:

I agree that it looks ghastly and seems really uncomfortable for driving, but I guess practice will make drivers ignore its presence. As for the safety issue, these cars are not the flammable tank on wheels they used to be. Nowadays it's more of a hazard a hit to the head a la Bianchi or Grosjean trying to shave Alonso's head than a car fire. Then again, I am quite sure that (gods forbid) if there was to be a fatality due to a fire, F1 safety boffins will come up with another "definitive" safety device that will save drivers from fires, but will create a hundred new hazards...such is the way of the Formula One.

I think that it could protect a driver from a crash a la Justin Wilson (maybe) or a la Henry Surtess (more likely), I don't see how it could have helped on a crash like Bianchi, if anything it would have been worse, with a device like the Halo I think that Hakkinen would have been killed when he had his big accident in Australia

17 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I think that it could protect a driver from a crash a la Justin Wilson (maybe) or a la Henry Surtess (more likely), I don't see how it could have helped on a crash like Bianchi, if anything it would have been worse, with a device like the Halo I think that Hakkinen would have been killed when he had his big accident in Australia

Indeed.

Resurrecting old threads. My first thought on seeing a race with Halo's was that "they are really not that bad looking." My visiting race-watching friend said the same thing.

In fact, I think it makes the cars look bigger and more substantial. I didn't really see anything negative about having them.

They do mask the helmets. Perhaps the solution would be to paint the top of the Halo's the color of the driver's helmet.

Yea, I am still not convinced it is that much of an improvement to safety. You would probably gain a whole lot more if you covered the wheels with solid body work.

But they actually don't look hideous.

Yea, during the race I was envisioning a wind-screen in the two openings on each side of the central pillar.

One thing I noticed was that when Grosjean stopped his car / dnf, it looked to me that he had a harder time coming out of the c#ckpit than when the Halo wasn't there.

So maybe, HALO can protect during impact but will keep the driver longer to escape a fire.

3 hours ago, radical-one said:

One thing I noticed was that when Grosjean stopped his car / dnf, it looked to me that he had a harder time coming out of the c#ckpit than when the Halo wasn't there.

So maybe, HALO can protect during impact but will keep the driver longer to escape a fire.

yes, that is exactly the point that I'm making, and I don't even want to think what would happene if they have to pull a driver from a car that has flipped or if a driver is unconciuos.

The Halo could prevent accidents like Henry Surtees' but I'm not so sure that they gave the subject enough thought. I sincerely hope that I will be proven wrong

1 hour ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

yes, that is exactly the point that I'm making, and I don't even want to think what would happene if they have to pull a driver from a car that has flipped or if a driver is unconciuos.

The Halo could prevent accidents like Henry Surtees' but I'm not so sure that they gave the subject enough thought. I sincerely hope that I will be proven wrong

Yeah. HALO's purpose isn't an easy straight forward solution isn't it?

Like in IT when I was younger. We put in some bug fixes into the system but sometimes creates new bugs that we can't see in our tests but when put into production it kaputs.

55 minutes ago, keithcollantine said:

Similarly, Sainz said during testing Halo made it harder to tell when it's raining lightly.

Welcome to the Forum B)