Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Your F1 drivers line up 2018?

If you were to pick your drivers line up (with the current active drivers or young potentials) for 2018 ,  who's gonna be on your list on which team ?

Regardless of driver's managers, program. Just shuffle all you want.

Mine ;

Mercedes - Hamilton and Pascal W. 

Ferrari - Seb V. and Max V.

Red Bull - Daniel R. and Carlos S.

Williams - Stroll and Massa

Force India - Ocon and Perez

Torro Rosso - Takuma Sato and Any young driver

Sauber - Kvyat and Any young driver

Renault - Hulkenberg and Alonso

Haas - Giovinazzi and Magnussen

McLaren - Vandoorne and Button

No right or wrong, good or bad choice, just your pick.

What's yours like ?

11 September 2017   11:15 (CEST)

There is possibility - rumor actually - that part of the complex deal, now in progress, Nobuharu Matsus##ta might be heading to Sauber thanks to Honda's intervention. Put it differently, "dream" involves some Japanese guys joining the series and filling couple of (at least) semi-decent seats to be able making impact.

2 hours ago, radical-one said:

If you were to pick your drivers line up (with the current active drivers or young potentials) for 2018 ,  who's gonna be on your list on which team ?

Regardless of driver's managers, program. Just shuffle all you want.

Mine ;

Mercedes - Hamilton and Pascal W. 

Ferrari - Seb V. and Max V.

Red Bull - Daniel R. and Carlos S.

Williams - Stroll and Massa

Force India - Ocon and Perez

Torro Rosso - Takuma Sato and Any young driver

Sauber - Kvyat and Any young driver

Renault - Hulkenberg and Alonso

Haas - Giovinazzi and Magnussen

McLaren - Vandoorne and Button

No right or wrong, good or bad choice, just your pick.

What's yours like ?

11 September 2017   12:36 (CEST)

My pick for good show would be decent convergence in equipment performance. Put it differently, expand duo Vettel vs. MB to a cluster of five or six cars with genuine chances to grab the win. From my personal perspective it would interest me more than media feeding off team's internal politics. A driver with four or five wins bagging WDC with several others in close proximity behind him could be a dream worth having.

14 minutes ago, Sakae said:

11 September 2017   12:36 (CEST)

My pick for good show would be decent convergence in equipment performance. Put it differently, expand duo Vettel vs. MB to a cluster of five or six cars with genuine chances to grab the win. From my personal perspective it would interest me more than media feeding off team's internal politics. A driver with four or five wins bagging WDC with several others in close proximity behind him could be a dream worth having.

I can live with that.

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton and Pascal Wehrlein

Ferrari: Pastor Maldonado and Robin Frijns

Red Bull: Sakon Yamamoto and Filipe Albuquerque

Williams: Robert Wickens and Alexander Sims

Force India: Jazeman Jaafar and Neel Jani

STR: Timo Bernhard and Weiron Tan

Sauber: Simona de Silvestro and René Rast

Renault: João Paulo de Oliveira and Jann Mardenborough

Haas: Karun Chandhok and Richie Stanaway

McLaren: Scott Speed and Charlie Kimball

not joking at all tbh

6 hours ago, Massa said:

not joking at all tbh

Sure.

Not without irony, the competitiveness of F1 would massively leap forward.

The only question is, why keep any of the current drivers? There is no need to embarrass anyone...

10 hours ago, Massa said:

not joking at all tbh

nice list

On 9/11/2017 at 6:04 PM, maure said:

Sure.

Not without irony, the competitiveness of F1 would massively leap forward.

The only question is, why keep any of the current drivers? There is no need to embarrass anyone...

Because I like Hamilton and Wehrlein and wish them nice things.  The other 18 or 20 or however many drivers there are in F1 now can pound sand.

I honestly think Frijns and Wickens were F1 caliber drivers who never get a fair chance.  Maldonado is extremely underrated and underappreciated.  He got a reputation, and the FIA started to penalize him seemingly weekly just because they assumed he was at fault, yet many times, he was not.  Speed beat Liuzzi in qualifying and races more than Liuzzi beat Speed, and Liuzzi was the "next big thing" who had cleaned up F3000 and spent much time testing F1 cars, while Speed was rushed up from baby series into GP2 and then right into F1.  If Speed's career had been managed by anything other than Red Bull corporate pressure to have an American in F1, I think he'd have been more than fine—he needed to do a year in what was then Formula Renault 3.5, and then at least two in GP2, with the final year including F1 Fridays, before getting to F1.  Instead of 2006, he should've debuted in 2008.  Of course, Speed then went to stock cars and, despite having never driven one, won races in ARCA and the NASCAR Truck Series, which is a far more successful transition than most F1 and IndyCar drivers make.  Speed is now pretty dominant in America's "Global" Rallycross series.  Bundles of natural talent, but a real inability to put the whole package together early in his career.  If he'd had more experience and more time to mature, I insist Scott Speed would be in the Juan Pablo Montoya category of driver: not a World Champion, but someone who won races and made them interesting.

Jani, Sims, Albuquerque, Jaafar, de Oliveira, Stanaway, and Tan are just-below F1-level if we define F1-level as what it should be; if we define by "active F1 drivers," then there is at least one driver on the grid currently that each is better than.  Kimball, Chandhok, Mardenborough, de Silvestro, and Yamamoto a tier below that, but still not so incompetent as to not be able to drive an F1 car without killing everyone.  Bernhard and Rast have never meaningfully raced formula cars (both were put right to Porsche GT cars after a year or two in the baby formulae that come right after karts; Rast later drove a Formula E race, and I think Bernhard tested a Penske IndyCar, but that might've been Romain Dumas.  But both have done the whole LMP1 thing, and today's F1 cars are just GP2 cars, anyway).

On 9/15/2017 at 1:29 AM, Massa said:

Because I like Hamilton and Wehrlein and wish them nice things.  The other 18 or 20 or however many drivers there are in F1 now can pound sand.

I honestly think Frijns and Wickens were F1 caliber drivers who never get a fair chance.  Maldonado is extremely underrated and underappreciated.  He got a reputation, and the FIA started to penalize him seemingly weekly just because they assumed he was at fault, yet many times, he was not.  Speed beat Liuzzi in qualifying and races more than Liuzzi beat Speed, and Liuzzi was the "next big thing" who had cleaned up F3000 and spent much time testing F1 cars, while Speed was rushed up from baby series into GP2 and then right into F1.  If Speed's career had been managed by anything other than Red Bull corporate pressure to have an American in F1, I think he'd have been more than fine—he needed to do a year in what was then Formula Renault 3.5, and then at least two in GP2, with the final year including F1 Fridays, before getting to F1.  Instead of 2006, he should've debuted in 2008.  Of course, Speed then went to stock cars and, despite having never driven one, won races in ARCA and the NASCAR Truck Series, which is a far more successful transition than most F1 and IndyCar drivers make.  Speed is now pretty dominant in America's "Global" Rallycross series.  Bundles of natural talent, but a real inability to put the whole package together early in his career.  If he'd had more experience and more time to mature, I insist Scott Speed would be in the Juan Pablo Montoya category of driver: not a World Champion, but someone who won races and made them interesting.

Jani, Sims, Albuquerque, Jaafar, de Oliveira, Stanaway, and Tan are just-below F1-level if we define F1-level as what it should be; if we define by "active F1 drivers," then there is at least one driver on the grid currently that each is better than.  Kimball, Chandhok, Mardenborough, de Silvestro, and Yamamoto a tier below that, but still not so incompetent as to not be able to drive an F1 car without killing everyone.  Bernhard and Rast have never meaningfully raced formula cars (both were put right to Porsche GT cars after a year or two in the baby formulae that come right after karts; Rast later drove a Formula E race, and I think Bernhard tested a Penske IndyCar, but that might've been Romain Dumas.  But both have done the whole LMP1 thing, and today's F1 cars are just GP2 cars, anyway).

Nice summary. Though, if you throw those in, a whole bunch of others would do just as well.

The question remains, why keep any of the current drivers? They would be beaten without a supercar (and even with it, check the record and look no further than last year for Hamilton, for instance). So, if you like them, why seek to embarrass them?