Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Mclaren-Renault

Business is booming for Britain's only deckchair maker ... as he teams up with Fred Perry for new stripy clothes range

Is THIS the new Alonso/Mclaren sponsorship ??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2699982/Business-booming-Britains-deckchair-maker-teams-Fred-Perry-new-range.html

McLaren Halo sponsor

That is actually clever marketing strategy,
very Ronesque - we have the halo, we are stuck
with it, nothing we can do.
It IS added space on the car - let`s use it to
benefit the team.
The flip-flop sponsorship is also quirky, considering
Well done Mclaren

What a difference 12 months makes

Mclaren ARE being suggested for the race WIN in the season opener

Would be great fun to see Alonso win in Australia. I doubt it though. The McLaren may be quick, but it would surprise me if it can compete with the top three.

9 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

What a difference 12 months makes

Mclaren ARE being suggested for the race WIN in the season opener

Yes, the more time passes from the last test day, people have more and more expectations from mclaren.

Even win in melbourne. ?

First race will put many people back on the ground.

Indeed, have Mclaren made the RIGHT choice, in DUMPING Honda ??
Red Bull Torro Rosso Honda - the NEW Honda works is,  currently better than Mclaren Renault
Who DUMPED Honda,  to KEEP Alonso

13 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Indeed, have Mclaren made the RIGHT choice, in DUMPING Honda ??
Red Bull Torro Rosso Honda - the NEW Honda works is,  currently better than Mclaren Renault
Who DUMPED Honda,  to KEEP Alonso

In the next 3-4 races we will find out whether McLaren made the right move.

On TR-Honda part, it seems that they are getting along well for now.

wow, McLaren had a really bad day yesterday, in fairness I'm quite surprised and the reason for that is that whereas it looked as if last year they had a very good chassis and a very sorted and neat car, this year it looks as if their car isn't sorted at all, maybe the project is still good quality but from the outside it looks as if that car isn't "finished". One has to wonder if the talent drain that they suffered is responsible for that. It might be an one off but to be fair, since I among many have criticised Honda when Honda did a poor job, it must be said that this time it's McLaren that did a poor job. Let's see what happens during the race, even if race results can be influenced by what to me look like a very good pair of drivers

That's a fair comment Publius.

The difference in my view when I look at McLaren is that , last year or past 3 years, there were no other teams that were using Honda to compare Mclaren's performance with, but this year, there are 3 teams using Renault. It is again too early to conclude,

5 minutes ago, radical-one said:

That's a fair comment Publius.

The difference in my view when I look at McLaren is that , last year or past 3 years, there were no other teams that were using Honda to compare Mclaren's performance with, but this year, there are 3 teams using Renault. It is again too early to conclude,

thanks

I think that last year it was sort of easy for McLaren to substantiate their claim that they had a very good chassis and a very poor engine because they could show the gps data proving that were going fast around corners and lost a lot of time in the straights. This year they no longer claim that they have a very good chassis because by looking at the gps data people could notice that this is not the case. What IMHO is amazing is that they seem to have gone backward. It might be that it's early and that they still have to do a lot of work to sort out their car (which, as I've said, looks not finished to the standard of a F1 car) or it might be that a talent drain together with limited resources (sadly for them, over the last 3 years their financial performance has not been very good) translated into a not so good car, I guess that we will have to see.

In contrast the Toro Rosso seems like a very well packaged car which is good for Honda since every little step in their engine performance can be translated into good times by an easy to drive and easy to set up car. I also think that Gasly is a very promising driver and IMHO Hartley is there to be some sort of development driver, in fact my take on Toro Rosso and Honda for 2018 was that they would use the season to try out many new things (irrespective of the 3 PUs rule) for the 2019 season, sort of a year long testing season, I wasn't expecting them to come up with such results in the 2nd race of the year, let's hope that the PUs last the whole race but even if they both had to suffer mechanical DNFs still I'd say that they were impressive because yesterday's performance was really good.

I have to be honest guys I'm biased for anything even remotely associated with Giancarlo Minardi so I'd be delighted if Toro Rosso did well, and I don't have anything against Honda, maybe Toro Rosso is a better fit for them because they don't have the pressure of achieving good results from day one and they can use the racing season to test and develop their engine, whatever the case I'm glad that things seem to be on the up for them because it wasn't nice to see what happened during the last 3 years and because we need competition and 4 competitive engines are better than 3 competitive engines

Toxic free collegiate environment at TR obviously is supportive of desirable outcome. 

2 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

thanks

I think that last year it was sort of easy for McLaren to substantiate their claim that they had a very good chassis and a very poor engine because they could show the gps data proving that were going fast around corners and lost a lot of time in the straights. This year they no longer claim that they have a very good chassis because by looking at the gps data people could notice that this is not the case. What IMHO is amazing is that they seem to have gone backward. It might be that it's early and that they still have to do a lot of work to sort out their car (which, as I've said, looks not finished to the standard of a F1 car) or it might be that a talent drain together with limited resources (sadly for them, over the last 3 years their financial performance has not been very good) translated into a not so good car, I guess that we will have to see.

In contrast the Toro Rosso seems like a very well packaged car which is good for Honda since every little step in their engine performance can be translated into good times by an easy to drive and easy to set up car. I also think that Gasly is a very promising driver and IMHO Hartley is there to be some sort of development driver, in fact my take on Toro Rosso and Honda for 2018 was that they would use the season to try out many new things (irrespective of the 3 PUs rule) for the 2019 season, sort of a year long testing season, I wasn't expecting them to come up with such results in the 2nd race of the year, let's hope that the PUs last the whole race but even if they both had to suffer mechanical DNFs still I'd say that they were impressive because yesterday's performance was really good.

I have to be honest guys I'm biased for anything even remotely associated with Giancarlo Minardi so I'd be delighted if Toro Rosso did well, and I don't have anything against Honda, maybe Toro Rosso is a better fit for them because they don't have the pressure of achieving good results from day one and they can use the racing season to test and develop their engine, whatever the case I'm glad that things seem to be on the up for them because it wasn't nice to see what happened during the last 3 years and because we need competition and 4 competitive engines are better than 3 competitive engines

Agree.  

The race / events before the race will start in approx 3 hours. Man it will be televised from 11:50PM in Tokyo and will have to be up until 3;00AM depending on how excited or frustrated I will be after the race. :clap3: 

But overall I have never been excited to watch F1 for as long as I can remember. So looking forward to a good race !

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Toxic free collegiate environment at TR obviously is supportive of desirable outcome. 

Hope they capitalize on this opportunity and can move forward from here. Of course it will be tough as the top 3 engines are well matured and polished already with multiple teams to give them feedbacks, but they can at least close the gap this season.

8 hours ago, radical-one said:

It is fair to say that McLaren was beaten by TR-Honda in Race 2.

Yes it is fair to say so, I was surprised by Toro Rosso for their performance yesterday, the Honda engine was clearly less powerful that Hamilton's Mercedes (they all were, Hamilton was driving a missile not a car) but it looks to have made a significant improvement, well done to them, they had a sterling race and Gasly drove brilliantly. On the other hand I'm surprised by how poorly McLaren did yesterday, IMHO Alonso and Vandoorne brilliant drives saved the day for the Woking outfit. 

3 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Yes it is fair to say so, I was surprised by Toro Rosso for their performance yesterday, the Honda engine was clearly less powerful that Hamilton's Mercedes (they all were, Hamilton was driving a missile not a car) but it looks to have made a significant improvement, well done to them, they had a sterling race and Gasly drove brilliantly. On the other hand I'm surprised by how poorly McLaren did yesterday, IMHO Alonso and Vandoorne brilliant drives saved the day for the Woking outfit. 

True. Alonso and Vandoorne drove well for a less performing car.

Honestly these days, I am more interested in watching the mid-field battle. Kindda more exciting with a five way tie between Renault, McLaren,

TorroRosso, HAAS and Force India.

Vandoorne was fantastic. His drive is overshadowed by many other beautiful drives. From dead last In first corner to 8th behind Alonso is great. That McLaren has some good race pace.  And I am not sure why their straight line speeds are abysmal.

Reorganization at McLaren? What for? I actually think that Brown was effectively demoted. As the Executive Director he was in a position where he could operate across all divisions as RD has. Now they reduce his responsibilities to the racing division only. So, how is it better for the team? He was effectively Boullier's boss for all that time anyway. The whole change is a cosmetic PR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the beginning of something a bigger revamp / reorganization yet to come.

They have to recover their annual $100M that they used to get from Honda.

3 hours ago, radical-one said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the beginning of something a bigger revamp / reorganization yet to come.

They have to recover their annual $100M that they used to get from Honda.

Sure, and they haven't had a title sponsor for years and the prize money that they got in the last few years wasn't much due to the bad results, I presume that McLaren's financial situation isn't what it used to be