Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2018 Ferrari SF71H

21 December 2017   12:32 (CET)

There is this situation developing between LM in a person of Brawn, and Sergio Marchionne, when personal animosity intensifying almost on daily basis between those two. If Ferrari decides that 2020 is their last year with the F1 without any interest to continue under LM management, I wonder what it will do development budgets in next three years. What is a point to invest big way, when money spent will miss the target? I am personally disappointed with Brawn's underperformance regarding critical judgements in area of defining sport in very F1-way, and I think SM means what he said.

Chase purportedly said, that whole idea regarding newly proposed specs is Brawn's idea alone. (Without Brown and Horner in lobbying capacity? Really?)

On 2017/12/23 at 5:50 PM, Sakae said:

23 December 2017   16:49 (CET)

Here.

Step 1.

Pass the crash test!  

Check.

Lovely stuff!!

Now onto development, where I feel the architecture of the year still has a lot scope to be developed!!

29 December 2017   6:10 (CET)

Rumors based on Italian print and Google translation (regarding 2018 Ferrari):

1.     New car has purportedly longer wheel-base over 2017 version, yet still shorter than Mercedes.

2.     PU suffers non-descriptive reliability issues, not being able to complete 7 race distances.

3.     Maranello is less than impressed with rule-makers when FIA has limited to 5 mm the influence of the steering in the variation of the height of the front. New car was already synthetically developed and this directive compromises Ferrari's initial design. 

Opinion - I look forward to an announcement that Mr. Whiting with his team has retired from whatever he is doing right now. Unfortunately some people are stuck like a glue to the jobs like his, which IMO should have been really on limited terms only. Two five years terms, if voted in for a second term, or something like that. The F1 branch of FiA would be better served by such rotation, methinks.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

29 December 2017   6:10 (CET)

Rumors based on Italian print and Google translation (regarding 2018 Ferrari):

1.     New car has purportedly longer wheel-base over 2017 version, yet still shorter than Mercedes.

2.     PU suffers non-descriptive reliability issues, not being able to complete 7 race distances.

3.     Maranello is less than impressed with rule-makers when FIA has limited to 5 mm the influence of the steering in the variation of the height of the front. New car was already synthetically developed and this directive compromises Ferrari's initial design. 

Opinion - I look forward to an announcement that Mr. Whiting with his team has retired from whatever he is doing right now. Unfortunately some people are stuck like a glue to the jobs like his, which IMO should have been really on limited terms only. Two five years terms, if voted in for a second term, or something like that. The F1 branch of FiA would be better served by such rotation, methinks.

That disturbs me. Merc will prolly run on one engine all year long

Mercedes could have run that distance already in the season past. 

I forgot to add, some reports suggested, MB had run more than 7 races on critical subsystems already in summer 2017. This is of course done to decrease season budget for engine customers, while it increases cost for engine suppliers.

10 January 2018   17:33 (CET)

AMuS

"If the world champions maintain their approximate development speed, 1000hp will be reached in 2019," correspondent Michael Schmidt said.

Ferrari is next in the power rankings with 934hp, followed by 907 for Renault and Honda's 860hp.

If Schmidt (AMuS) is correct with those figures, then red team could be in trouble, although some stories that are floating on the internet claiming, that both, MB and Scuderia will penetrate1000 HP barrier in 2018.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

10 January 2018   17:33 (CET)

AMuS

If Schmidt (AMuS) is correct with those figures, then red team could be in trouble, although some stories that are floating on the internet claiming, that both, MB and Scuderia will brake 1000 HP barrier in 2018.

If Schmidt is correct then Toro Rosso is in deep trouble

19 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

If Schmidt is correct then Toro Rosso is in deep trouble

Probably.

Add. Brown is in the news, "drooling" over Renault's PU. Honda is quiet, but their stated goal was to get ahead of Renault in forthcoming season.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:10 PM, Sakae said:

Probably.

Add. Brown is in the news, "drooling" over Renault's PU. Honda is quiet, but their stated goal was to get ahead of Renault in forthcoming season.

That would be just lovely. Poetic Justice I say

12 January 2018   7:24 (CET)

I fear that more than anytime in the past disproportional number of races will be decided by lack of equipment reliability. Based on written word, MB seems purportedly the only engine developer, which is "safe" to survive 7 races per PU.

15 January 2018   10:06 (CET)

Scoffing language of my hero persists - as it did whole winter - when Sebastian's name comes up on pages we find on the internet. Probably partly to lift Hamilton up as an altar boy (soon to have wings on his back added), partly I see it as emotional lack of maturity on many with access to internet, and partly as wasteful yapping with utter disregard for facts. Vettel is blamed for Ferrari's demise in second half of 2017, some add to it - kindly - lack of reliability. But is it really all Vettel? Too many mistakes, some claim. Well, he got mad all right on what he deemed as sneaky behavior of his rival and took vendetta into his hands. He touched a British-cooked and bred God, and such blasphemy is unforgivable. I do understand, that was a shade of hair over the line. But what else was there? He is even blamed for crash in which he really did not touch anyone. Huge contrast to reaction what Vesrtappen has done to him in a previous year, and was praised for his aggressive behaviors, yet Vettel, as he tried to avoid him (and prevent crash) brushed No. 7 - and was blasted for it.

It is useless trying to rehash every past incident, since no minds will be changed, but it has occurred to me - is behavior of some officials, scribes and fans really fair to Vettel? I have my doubts, and I am not so sure that this year is going to be any better, as English speaking media are trying to push their "God" into WDC No. 5 doesn't matter how. An adjective "fair" fight has no meaning in their today's world thus what happens to Vettel - well they do not care. They boldly look toward MB being faster couple of seconds per lap, just to be sure... 

I do however care, and wish to Seb good fight in 2018, and hopefully his deserving 5th WDC on merit (in contrast to past four years) by September.

16 January 2018   17:46 (CET)

Speaking from the Detroit Motor Show, Marchionne told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “I was in Maranello the last few days and I found the design guys almost too relaxed. I can only conclude that either we have made a crap car or a real beast!

Thanks for the update. I feel now much more relaxed. Nothing better than clarity.

16 January 2018   17:50 (CET)

Marchionne is set to remain chief of Fiat-Chrysler until April 2019, but thereafter he intends to remain with Ferrari until at least 2021

Two dates to remember. if I have to guess, I am not so sure that a decision on future of Ferrari in (new) F1 will be his alone. There should be Elkan, new CEO of Fiat and a new CEO of Ferrari at the strategy table as well. Min. 4 guys, more likely 6 if you add a TP, and a chief engineer.

19 hours ago, Sakae said:

Two dates to remember. if I have to guess, I am not so sure that a decision on future of Ferrari in (new) F1 will be his alone. There should be Elkan, new CEO of Fiat and a new CEO of Ferrari at the strategy table as well. Min. 4 guys, more likely 6 if you add a TP, and a chief engineer.

The Elkans don't want to have anything to do with the car sector, for the sake of F1 you have to hope that they don't take part in those discussions

17 January 2018   13:56 (CET)

On 1/16/2018 at 5:56 PM, Sakae said:

All what I know about Elkann is, that he is direct senior to Marchionne. Leaving F1 is a significant (IMO) strategic decision, and a voice of a reason - emotionally unattached - could be a good thing at the "bargaining" table. Those who will be inclined to stay will have to be forced to submit well reasoned case. It's no brainer, I fear, will be not enough, and as much as I wish Seb would stay for next 10 years, somehow there is the voice telling me, that it is not right to support "new management" - as currently proposed - destructive policies of everything that was created over many decades. Ferrari (and automobile companies in general) deserves a better series after 2020 (and if possible without FiA).

18 January 2018   8:29 (CET)

Antonio Giovinazzi says he has no idea what new development driver Daniil Kvyat will be doing at Ferrari as he will continue on as the team's official reserve driver.

Good question, and Antonio has every reason to be concerned. I am however hesitant to speculate that Scuderia is grooming Kvyat to replace Kimi in 2019. I rather think that Ferrari wants to draw on Kvyat's experience on the simulator, as drivers will be busy with long season. 

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

18 January 2018   8:29 (CET)

Good question, and Antonio has every reason to be concerned. I am however hesitant to speculate that Scuderia is grooming Kvyat to replace Kimi in 2019. I rather think that Ferrari wants to draw on Kvyat's experience on the simulator, as drivers will be busy with long season. 

Giovinazzi has every reason to be concerned because once again Ferrari pushed him down the waiting list

I personally think that Ferrari were right in employing Kvyat, he can bring some useful experience and he's a very good driver, should Kimi be very slow and should they need a replacement mid season (as they came very close to a few years ago) they have a driver with some experience, speed and who is certainly willing to accept some team orders to resume his career

4 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Giovinazzi has every reason to be concerned because once again Ferrari pushed him down the waiting list

I personally think that Ferrari were right in employing Kvyat, he can bring some useful experience and he's a very good driver, should Kimi be very slow and should they need a replacement mid season (as they came very close to a few years ago) they have a driver with some experience, speed and who is certainly willing to accept some team orders to resume his career

I am not kidding, but I heard that some bookies in England are taking bets that Kimi is not going to see 2018 season to its proper end. Personally this kind of talk makes me cringe, since Kimi wants to fight (his words) Seb for WDC this year. However as we got accustomed to extremes, everything is possible in this crazy world, and should Kimi (or Seb) begin to fall back dangerously and WCC will be at risk, one never knows what SM will do. Smoking General Douglas MacArthur's pipe perhaps?