Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

2018 Mercedes

Some insight to the magic boost button. So it lasted for about 50s, which explains the qualifying runs performance. Well, we always knew about the boost, but this article gives lovely insight

"The results of the sound testing, which have been supplied to Motorsport.com, suggest that at peak power the Mercedes is able to reach an impressive peak of 1000bhp

This is during the final qualifying efforts, when its drivers are able to make use of a special setting to get a power boost for 50 seconds to aid their qualifying performances.

The magic button

Estimates suggest that this 'magic button' boost for qualifying – which changes the mapping of the engine – is worth around 80bhp."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-has-mercedes-broken-the-1000bhp-barrier-829341/

21 December 2017   8:46 (CET)

I would expect fuel consumption could be a front consideration how and when to use this kind of performance, however it might be enough occasionally when a driver has an off day, and needs push on Saturday. It begs a next question, whether both MB drivers had it, or just one of them? Additional concerns would be wear&tear factor, should a driver use it too frequently. The whole idea sounds impressive, however MB had superior equipment ...class on their own... whole year around for four years, whilst Vettel was overdriving his last year in attempt to match it. Magic button, if it really exists would be just masterful addition to what was already a beautiful and handy machine. I gather that's where they are today as a result of continuous development.  That notion of "additives" to the oil mixture would be probably illegal.

27 December 2017   15:12 (CET)

GP247:

Contrary to popular belief Mercedes chief Toto Wolff has revealed that his organisation was not against supplying McLaren with power units for 2018 and beyond, but blames delays in decision making during the negotiation process for the deal failing.

The McLaren-Honda split was one of the biggest talking points of the season, at one point McLaren boss Zak Brown stated that all options were on the table, but it was always believed that Mercedes and Ferrari were not interested in supplying the Woking outfit.

But Wolff told ESPN, “We wanted to give McLaren an engine, the problem is that it dragged on for a long time and we just didn’t have the structure in place and the capacity to supply them an engine for 2018. It was simply too late.”

This is a question for Brad: If presumably both the Mercedes cars had this 'magic 'boost, what happened to the Bottas car? It clearly did not perform in qualifying or on race day like Hamilton's car, did it? That FACT destroys your argument, doesn't it LOL. Maybe, just maybe the drivers had something to do with the individual performances of their specific car, huh

Dismissed. 

9 January 2018   21:15 (CET)

This has potential as bad news for rest of them

Next to names like Ferrari, Renault and Honda, I would include F1 as a whole. Leaving P3 and other cars in the dust could be last thing what this sport needs right now. We (or I) had enough of devaluated WDCs for past 4 years with two cars only. When Brawn wants to get involved for goodness me, than go and get involved, but on right places, in timely fashion, with substantive issues and clearly defined objectives. Well, this time people were busy moving furniture into new office, than F1 logo didn't look right - busy, busy, busy, and MB strikes again. I can't wait to see Hamilton grow another 2 cm in statue how great he is with his rocket.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, iman50 said:

If presumably both the Mercedes cars had this 'magic 'boost, what happened to the Bottas car? It clearly did not perform in qualifying or on race day like Hamilton's car, did it? Maybe, just maybe the drivers had something to do with the individual performances of their specific car, huh

That sounds to me, like a reasonable conclusion to have.

On 29/12/2017 at 1:46 AM, iman50 said:

This is a question for Brad: If presumably both the Mercedes cars had this 'magic 'boost, what happened to the Bottas car? It clearly did not perform in qualifying or on race day like Hamilton's car, did it? That FACT destroys your argument, doesn't it LOL. Maybe, just maybe the drivers had something to do with the individual performances of their specific car, huh

Dismissed. 

There's obviously a faster driver in the other car, who also manages his tyres better than his teammate.

Are you insinuating that a reputable F1 news agent is talking bollocks and the magic boost button does NOT exist, contrary to what we've all witnessed the last 4 years? That's absolutely absurd!!!

12 January 2018   5:23 (CET)

In my understanding expansion is mostly storage utility area, and if I would have to guess, than it is probably precautionary measure against anticipated post-Brexit related delays on movement of goods (from Germany) at the border. I would not consider such contingency planning as definite confirmation of anything MB might choose to do in 2021. Second possibility is, IF Stuttgart decides on continuation with the new F1, they may also need some parallel development next to existing production that supports current races.  Mine is of course just unadulterated guessing. 

One has to take into consideration financial situation. Again, IF Brown was correct (heard him in a podcast) and LM will enforce a budget cap of 150 MM, I am in doubt MB will be able to keep 1600 personnel on their payroll. Production will be probably scaled down. For now parameters of future operations is a black box. Brown is an American, so I am guessing he quoted USD.

Sakae....I wonder how Red Bull and Horner may feel about a 150 MM budget gap. An enforced budget gap of 150 MM, would not enable MB to sustain a 1600 personnel payroll, and could possibly see the exit of Ferrari from the sport, with all of it's potential consequences. Interesting and critical times lie ahead for the sport, if this proposed budget gap is enforced.

12 January 2018   20:52 (CET)

From my own perspective any budget cap in racing technology field is totally senseless. But then, LM seems to be doing a lot of it lately. Brown, as mentioned earlier, sounded quite confident about budget cap is coming, and figure quoted was just that 150. Either way, I cannot envision a hybrid PU for that price. This could be normally aspirated ICE at best - V10 or V12. If LM want VW in, than they have to do it with V4, which is something RBR hates, as I understand it. There will be a lot of people looking for a job next year, so much is certain.

24 February 2018, 08:18

COWELL: SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE MERCEDES POWER UNIT

Sounds ominous. If there is significant power advantage which will give MB drivers another easy drive, fifth year in the row in fact, that could kill the mood. Whiting should have frozen Mercedes engine development by the end of 2014 (or place limits on performance output) for large good of the sport. Why he hasn't done so? Someone should ask him, but I doubt anyone will.   

We shouldn't forget -  

MONTEZEMOLO: MERCEDES WORKED ON THEIR F1 ENGINE SINCE 2007

No surprise then we do not have new entrants knocking on the F1 door - let me in. 

Ide be suprised if they still rule after 4 years of dominance. Usually dominant periods last 4 years. U never know tho. The RedBull looks fast, yes I judge that from testing, and Kimi never really shows his hand in testing.

We will see

Kimi NEVER really shows his hand - Iceman

He JUST drives it,  if it`s good - he`s GOOD
What U see IS what U get.

Then he heads STRAIGHT to the ice-cream van !!

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Ide be suprised if they still rule after 4 years of dominance. Usually dominant periods last 4 years. U never know tho

So BASICALLY U R sayin - U have NOT got a CLUE
>Indeed NOBODY has !!
As U R soo UNSURE - I do NOT think that, UR opinion CONTRIBUTED - ANYTHING

24 March 2018, 16:28

Red Bull Racing’s consultant Helmut Marko and team principal Christian Horner insist Mercedes still enjoy a healthy margin over the other three engine manufacturers which makes them invincible.

Hamilton can take his detestable smirk of his face and face the facts that he is getting a lot of help in the background. It's not only RB, but also fans on sidelines who can see this.

ZETSCHE: FORMULA 1 IS ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT!

OK, I agree Dieter, but let others to catch up with you, and then we see who is a best driver.

41 minutes ago, Sakae said:

24 March 2018, 16:28

Hamilton can take his detestable smirk of his face

Hamilton's smirk beats Vettel's Hitler haircut.

Don't blame Hamilton because your German god was s##t today. 

20 hours ago, VicVenom said:

Hamilton's smirk beats Vettel's Hitler haircut.

Don't blame Hamilton because your German god was s##t today. 

Peanutgallery

Hamilton is not smirking now is it. In fact, pretty p**sed off after having a dominant car and controlling much of the race... in my opinion, driving around to a slower delta during VSC. Dont listen to the bulls##t of a software glitch. He was driving too slowly.

In fact. Concentrate on MadMax's stupid rookie mistake in not being able to handle a slower Haas

16 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Peanutgallery

Hamilton is not smirking now is it. In fact, pretty p**sed off after having a dominant car and controlling much of the race... in my opinion, driving around to a slower delta. Dont listen to the bulls##t of a software glitch. He was driving too slowly.

In fact. Concentrate on MadMax's stupid rookie mistake in not being able to handle a slower Haas

He went off track couple of times, and i strongly suspect he had meltdown as soon as he saw Ferrari exiting pits. Some of his fans claimed that it is difficult if not impossible to overtake on this track. Well, he had 3 DRS zones to his disposal, no one was bothering behind, he had a superior car, but failed to take Vettel on. He was trying to get Seb off his game by bellicose talk on Saturday, but failed as well, and his management now will have to calm him down and issue public apology for his troubles.  

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Peanutgallery

Hamilton is not smirking now is it. In fact, pretty p**sed off after having a dominant car and controlling much of the race... in my opinion, driving around to a slower delta during VSC. Dont listen to the bulls##t of a software glitch. He was driving too slowly.

You really are a retard. 

Your s##thead of a hero got lucky today.