Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Grid Girls - Stay or Leave ?

Grid Girls - Stay or Leave ?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grid Girls (Race Queen in Japan) should stay or Leave?

• Stay
    • Leave

21 hours ago, Sakae said:

1 January 2018   8:45 (CET)

Scanning a few pages of various forums, and reading randomly posted comments, I think you might be onto something, radical-one. This begs a question then; does F1 wants to built its future on such customer base which tuned in merely to feed hormones, rather than watch the race?

LOL it's always been like that Sakae. Particularly in Japan and that's not only apply inF1, pretty ,such all sports, K1, Pride, MMA, Boxing, etc.

5 minutes ago, radical-one said:

LOL it's always been like that Sakae. Particularly in Japan and that's not only apply inF1, pretty ,such all sports, K1, Pride, MMA, Boxing, etc.

You may have found answer how to increase viewership in F1. All what needs to be done is to find people with hungry hormones and bring in high kicking dancing girls. Insofar as I can see, keen to emulate NFL, new owners might be exactly on that path. Cheerleaders on the way in mid race break.

Thanks

I will FOREVER B remembered as the BEST in the WORLD - I AM a part of World History

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Dull.... and booooooooring

I wonder if "MeToo" hysteria played some minor role in that decision as well. Do you really want to see racing headlines replaced with social bickering how many people of this kind or that kind should be there on the grid, and what flag they should hold? Maybe it is stretch, but that's how we live now. If you consider women as equal to man (why this even should be a discussion), then they should be treated (with respect) as such. Leave femme fatale scene for private times.

I always found grid girls a bit of a waste of time so I won't be sad if they go, I used to tune in to watch cars race, not half naked ladies, I want racing!!! Pity from this year I won't be able to tune in and watch F1 cars racing... Liberty decided that they wanted to get rid of 5 million viewers in Italy and I'm among them

1 hour ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

... I want racing!!! Pity from this year I won't be able to tune in and watch F1 cars racing... Liberty decided that they wanted to get rid of 5 million viewers in Italy and I'm among them

1 February 2018, 11:19 (UTC)  If this implies you won't be able to write your race reviews, than this could be bad news for rest of us as well in here. I detect American based (owned) F1 media approach is centered on charges for access to articles, and if you want more and perhaps to add a personal comment, one has to have an active American Facebook, Twitter or similar social media accounts. LM strategy on commercial and technical sides makes me miss BE. Situation is mere reaffirmation of an old cliche that one is not appreciating what one has, until one looses it. 

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

I wonder if "MeToo" hysteria played some minor role in that decision as well. Do you really want to see racing headlines replaced with social bickering how many people of this kind or that kind should be there on the grid, and what flag they should hold? Maybe it is stretch, but that's how we live now. If you consider women as equal to man (why this even should be a discussion), then they should be treated (with respect) as such. Leave femme fatale scene for private times.

How many woman drivers are there in F1 Sakae? We know NONE. That's how we would treat woman with respect in F1. 

At least grid girls are givin some exposure in the world of a male-dominating sport. Not only that, it adds appeal to F1, something F1 dearly needs.

Grid girls are treated with respect, just reading up on their responses to the ban illustrates that

Brad, I get your point, and sympathies with your sentiment, but there is a problem, as you know. If entrants ought to be merit based applications, than we need female representation going though lower series as men do. I am definitely not against anyone being on the grid on merit, but we have already difficult discussion about pay drivers, etc., with lines being really blurred who should possess super-license, and who should not. I really do not want add to this mess some females only because of gender as her sole qualification. I think root of the problem is with lower series, and I do not have sufficient knowledge to form opinion whether it is discrimination (glass ceiling), lack of interest, or lack of skills, but I do know if young lady will make it on level playing field with boys, I would root for her. (Actually I have; once in Toronto I was cheering for Swiss Simona de Silvestro. She was good, but her car not that much).

I do not follow her career as closely, as I perhaps do with Seb. I think she is - as always - filling up vacancies as the opportunities appear. I did not get any impression she would have a steady work as a driver. She must be almost 30 now (I think). In that one race I was attending her car was a low mid-fielder, and if memory serves me, some guys took liberties and put her into a wall (incident occurred out of my sight), or for some reason like that. She is not a good example of a girl performing on level playing ground; to me she was/is just a pioneer trying to make it in men dominated world for girls that will come after her time. She can drive fast, she could overtake, but could she make it on today's F1 grid? Not sure, but I think probably not. Guys like Vettel, Ocon and others are just too strong, and one needs to go thorough the mill to get hand on agile F1 car.  

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I do not follow her career as closely, as I perhaps do with Seb. I think she is - as always - filling up vacancies as the opportunities appear. I did not get any impression she would have a steady work as a driver. She must be almost 30 now (I think). In that one race I was attending her car was a low mid-fielder, and if memory serves me, some guys took liberties and put her into a wall (incident occurred out of my sight), or for some reason like that. She is not a good example of a girl performing on level playing ground; to me she was/is just a pioneer trying to make it in men dominated world for girls that will come after her time. She can drive fast, she could overtake, but could she make it on today's F1 grid? Not sure, but I think probably not. Guys like Vettel, Ocon and others are just too strong, and one needs to go thorough the mill to get hand on agile F1 car.  

Lovely stuff. Great to read that

Whilst,  the "Grid GIRLS" HAVE now become - a thing of the PAST
Logic DICTATES that, they WILL still survive > JUST called something DIFFERENT
It IS how the world works
The public WANT`S the girls - the public WILL see the girls
JUST under a DIFFERENT label
The girls STILL require the work.
How when Bernie were in control
He wanted to put on a SHOW
The Grid Girls WILL just become;
The track girls / circuit girls or whatever

Angry Lauda: 'How dumb can someone be?'

Niki-Lauda-2-725x500.jpg ©WRI2

F1 legend Niki Lauda has vehemently criticised Liberty Media's decision to eliminate the presence of grid girls in Formula 1.

Speaking to Austria's Der Standard, the Mercedes non-executive chairman has qualified the move as "completely incomprehensible".

"How dumb can someone be? Women have emancipated themselves and do very well at it," argues Lauda.

"So this is a decision against women."

The controversial decision to bring F1 in line with society's so-called "progressive" trends has sparked a fiery debate with opposing camps arguing the gird girl case.

"I think it's a great pity to break a tradition such as this, which does Formula 1 but above all women no favours at all."

The three-time world champion hopes there is a "way to reverse the decision", or blend girls with boys on the grid. Lauda also opposes the idea that grid girls send the wrong message to female individuals who wish to work in other areas of motor sport.

Grid girls should definitely stay.

I don't like the direction F1 is heading at all - No grid girls, no noise, 3 engines for a season and now we have halo's. The soul of F1 is dying, I wonder what's next - no fighter jet displays because they're too noisy and not environmentally friendly?

Liberty need to get a grip

5 February 2018, 11:47 (UTC) Wolf's wife Suzi purportedly supports LM's decision regarding grid-girls. Diverging opinions on societal issues is as old as human race (probably that old). We shall get use to it just as we got used to many changes of that kind, at least in my life-time.  LM is however involved in many other impactful changes, all far more serious, which spell troubles IMHO in the near future. 

Hopefully there will be exciting racing then because they're slowly killing all the other glamorous things F1 used to be renown for. And as for LM saying they're listening to what the fans want on engine sound, that's the biggest case of the the tail wagging the dog I've heard yet! The current engine manufacturers are complelely running the show in that department so I don't think LM should insult the fans intelligence by saying they're listening.

5 hours ago, Apples127 said:

Grid girls should definitely stay.

I don't like the direction F1 is heading at all - No grid girls, no noise, 3 engines for a season and now we have halo's. The soul of F1 is dying, I wonder what's next - no fighter jet displays because they're too noisy and not environmentally friendly?

Liberty need to get a grip

+1

Grid girls can always compensate for any boring race weekend.

I mean what else is there to see other than F1 cars?

1 minute ago, radical-one said:

Grid girls can always compensate for any boring race weekend.

I mean what else is there to see other than F1 cars?

Hamilton's face every 2 minutes.