Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2018 F1 season - discussion

20 February 2018, 14:22 - The only team which seems to be confused is McLaren. I am not sure they know what they want, or more correctly, they want power, money, and glory, however - based on printed word -  they seem to in dark how to get it. Frédéric Vasseur on the other hand - new chief at Sauber - came in, said Bonjour, I am new here, and 1 hr later he let go of Honda. To me it seems like pretty much a decisive move, regardless whether he made a correct decision was or not.

Obviously at THAT time, it WERE the correct decision.
MUCH has changed at Honda.  After the DISASTEROUS return.
At THIS time,  after a LOT of changes - things COULD improve ??
Who knows, Honda are not a world LEADER for nothing - there IS a reason
They also manufacture good lawnmowers.  It is a shame they supplied them  to McLaren
to power the F1 car

On 2/2/2018 at 10:11 PM, Sakae said:

@radical-one 2 February 2018, 13:00 (UTC)  Interesting question, however leaving non-racing aspects aside, to be frank, other than 3 to 5 drivers, I do not know much about anyone on the grid enough in racing terms to judge them objectively. In post race food fights there is almost always something bad in focus, but seldom something of value. There is too much going on during a race, and I am unable to follow them all properly. Besides, camera is not really properly focused on all good drives which go undetected behind MB #44. This preoccupancy whether Hamilton sneezes or smiles, what his dog is doing, how he...whatever, etc., all of that takes all time we have for the sport. So, I pass on judging innocent and guilty alike.

Amend. How did you determined who should get OUT (in your view)? I am curious why would you think Stroll belongs, whereas Grosjean is not. In totally irrational terms, I would have probably chosen precisely opposite solution. You may find a lot of divergence which is driven in subjective terms, over solid analysis.

Stroll does not really belong per say, he just have the money to be there.

'Grosjean is too noisy and too complainer to be a fit in his drive IMO. Besides, he hasn't shown a lot of results lately.

3 hours ago, radical-one said:

Stroll does not really belong per se, he just have the money to be there.

'Grosjean is too noisy and too complainer to be a fit in his drive IMO. Besides, he hasn't shown a lot of results lately.

22 February 2018, 08:54

Based on printed word regarding specific finances, I do agree that Stroll Jr. obtained a lot of significant family support in his efforts to race for Williams. Whether he actually is fit to make his mark in the series remains to be seen. At this stage I will give him benefit of doubt for one more season. We should not forget that his car is not as good as Verstappen Jr. has to his disposal thus his results aren't so flashy. Truth however is, I do not follow the guy that much, thus I would recuse myself from critiquing him too much. 

With Gro, - a French guy - I think he is getting black eye for being true Frenchman. There are some cultural differences, and people who are not familiar with French temperament, might not like it, which is OK, but IMO bottom line is, that it is not as bad as some media trying to add too many unnecessary dimensions to it. In reality and more to my taste he is far more cultivated and tolerable than Verstappen. I have no problem with him. 

You live in Tokyo, and therefore you must be aware how in Japanese culture displeasure with someone is often accompanied by increased (almost shouting) angry voice, and no one blinks an eyelid, yet for (inexperienced) Europeans that is big eyeopener, and not always pleasant surprise. I didn't have anyone shouting at me, but I have seen it, and initially didn't feel good about it. It is however part of Japanese culture (which I love), and I've accepted that's how people are, and it something which makes life interesting. 

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

22 February 2018, 08:54

Based on printed word regarding specific finances, I do agree that Stroll Jr. obtained a lot of significant family support in his efforts to race for Williams. Whether he actually is fit to make his mark in the series remains to be seen. At this stage I will give him benefit of doubt for one more season. We should not forget that his car is not as good as Verstappen Jr. has to his disposal thus his results aren't so flashy. Truth however is, I do not follow the guy that much, thus I would recuse myself from critiquing him too much. 

With Gro, - a French guy - I think he is getting black eye for being true Frenchman. There are some cultural differences, and people who are not familiar with French temperament, might not like it, which is OK, but IMO bottom line is, that it is not as bad as some media trying to add too many unnecessary dimensions to it. In reality and more to my taste he is far more cultivated and tolerable than Verstappen. I have no problem with him. 

You live in Tokyo, and therefore you must be aware how in Japanese culture displeasure with someone is often accompanied by increased (almost shouting) angry voice, and no one blinks an eyelid, yet for (inexperienced) Europeans that is big eyeopener, and not always pleasant surprise. I didn't have anyone shouting at me, but I have seen it, and initially didn't feel good about it. It is however part of Japanese culture (which I love), and I've accepted that's how people are, and it something which makes life interesting. 

It's exactly my Japanese culture in me that dislikes Grosjean's work ethics , same goes for Alonso.

I have just seen this article

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38153.html

In the past you had big names interested in F1, now it's small hopeless start-ups. I was wandering what was behind Rich Energy, I thought that it was hust me who didn't know them so I had a look at their web site and it's a joke, then I wanted to find out a bit more on the corporate side on things... there you go guys, have a look at this...

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/09791667-rich-energy-limited?page=overview

Rich Energy Limited is a company classed as "micro", with less than 10 employees and a turnover lower than 2 millions :roll: in the bank they have GBP 103, my 10 years old niece has more money in the bank than them :roll: the company has 3 directors: a computer consultant, a fitness instructor and a publican :roll:

If Rich Energy can buy Force India I think that we could make a consortium on this forum, we put GBP 100 each, and bid to buy Ferrari :roll:

F1 used to be at the top of the world, even good old Sassetti had to put some serious money on the table when he fielded Andrea Mode, now we have come to this, reputable F1 journalists talk about something which isn't even a non story, it' less than that :rolleyes: F1 is loosing credibility at an alarming speed, Formula E (notwithstanding the fact that the racing isn't very good) pulls in big names, F1 attracts a computer consultant with lot of debts and a couple of mates, that's sad

3 hours ago, radical-one said:

It's exactly my Japanese culture in me that dislikes Grosjean's work ethics , same goes for Alonso.

Noted. :laughing:

20 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I have just seen this article

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38153.html

In the past you had big names interested in F1, now it's small hopeless start-ups. I was wandering what was behind Rich Energy, I thought that it was hust me who didn't know them so I had a look at their web site and it's a joke, then I wanted to find out a bit more on the corporate side on things... there you go guys, have a look at this...

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/09791667-rich-energy-limited?page=overview

Rich Energy Limited is a company classed as "micro", with less than 10 employees and a turnover lower than 2 millions :roll: in the bank they have GBP 103, my 10 years old niece has more money in the bank than them :roll: the company has 3 directors: a computer consultant, a fitness instructor and a publican :roll:

If Rich Energy can buy Force India I think that we could make a consortium on this forum, we put GBP 100 each, and bid to buy Ferrari :roll:

F1 used to be at the top of the world, even good old Sassetti had to put some serious money on the table when he fielded Andrea Mode, now we have come to this, reputable F1 journalists talk about something which isn't even a non story, it' less than that :rolleyes: F1 is loosing credibility at an alarming speed, Formula E (notwithstanding the fact that the racing isn't very good) pulls in big names, F1 attracts a computer consultant with lot of debts and a couple of mates, that's sad

Very much so. LM will be scratching their collective heads once they chase people away who do actually finance the sport - automakers. BE with sense of a used car salesman understood well that part of the equation.  

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Robert Rick said:

To me racing is not putting on a show. And you don't have to drive 350 km/h to put on a show. I think what I am trying to say is that i have this expectation that formula one is competing on the edge of disaster. You choose the best jockeys to ride the wildest beasts- not tamed horses. 

And - my concern is not that f1 has become a lot safer than it used to be. What I don't like is the prospect that it will have to continuously become more and more safe.

Also I have this unpleasant suspicion that these new safety measures are more about protecting the commercial interests of the investors than the health of the drivers - I know that is horrible to say - but consider this: There is not a lack of drivers willing to take the risk of competing in formula one. There is rather a lack of investors willing to be associated with a commercial product/sport that produces unnecessary amounts of carbon dioxide and puts peoples lives at risk.

Welcome to the forum Robert.

I find the Halo to be a bad compromise. I don't object to anything that improves safety, but I think it makes for a marginal improvement. I understand from an organizational point of view the need to take some action, but I am not sure that this is the best action. The real answer is fully enclosed c#ckpits, but I think everyone is hesitant to take that step. So, I don't really object to the halo....but am not really for it either.

Your comment about the safety measures being "more about protecting the commercial interest of the investors" I think is quite correct.

Obviously modern F1 is much safer than F1 used to be. But.......it is still an "extreme sport" and as such, there is an element of danger. That will never go away as long as you are driving cars at 200 MPH. It is part of the "charm" of the sport. I will also miss the grid girls, but understand that it is kind of a relic of another era, and at some point would probably need to go. 

There is a danger that F1 will become too sanitary, too controlled, too contrived, and too whatever. I think it is near that point now. It does need to be wilder and more unpredictable.    

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I'll chip in $100. Can you put this deal together?

On 16/2/2018 at 9:14 PM, Robert Rick said:

To me racing is not putting on a show. And you don't have to drive 350 km/h to put on a show. I think what I am trying to say is that i have this expectation that formula one is competing on the edge of disaster. You choose the best jockeys to ride the wildest beasts- not tamed horses. 

And - my concern is not that f1 has become a lot safer than it used to be. What I don't like is the prospect that it will have to continuously become more and more safe.

Also I have this unpleasant suspicion that these new safety measures are more about protecting the commercial interests of the investors than the health of the drivers - I know that is horrible to say - but consider this: There is not a lack of drivers willing to take the risk of competing in formula one. There is rather a lack of investors willing to be associated with a commercial product/sport that produces unnecessary amounts of carbon dioxide and puts peoples lives at risk.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:45 PM, radical-one said:

Nonsense

Memorable quotes: by Mr. Bratches

"We’re not here to please people. We’re here to make this sport as great as it can possibly can be. That is our pursuit.

Say what?

Well, according to what I've seen "the deal could be worth $280 million." I gather that means that they are buying Force India for $280 million.

Now, they are probably making an arrangement to pay it over time (lets say 10 years)...and then they need operating expenses. Perez comes with a sponsor, there are other established sponsors, there is the annual payout for last years results.......so it actually may be possible to slip into this thing at a cost of tens of millions, vice hundreds of millions.  

24 February 2018, 16:09

Following article is slightly off topic, however I think it could be contextually considered as good attempt to build cultural bridges in business, on holiday, and also on the racing forum.

German directness, Anglo euphemisms: the hell of cross-cultural communication

Its sort off take it, or leave it, and nothing more than that. Now, the same issue in context between Germans and Japanese, those are Olympic size challenges.    

9 hours ago, Caesar said:

Nonsense

誰があなたに話しているのですか?
私は愚かなコメントの時間がない

40 minutes ago, radical-one said:

誰があなたに話しているのですか?
私は愚かなコメントの時間がない

You don't have time but you write them all the time. This is forum, everyone is talking to everyone.

If you say your japanese culture makes you dislike alonso's work ethic, but you can't see that alonso made his homework, but japanese honda didn't do their homework, although they made promises year after year.

For three years alo and stoff could only race each other, pardon me , first year they couldnt finish half of race distance. Little shouting from alo on team radio was very pleasant to hear, he had right to scream at lying honda engineers every second they spent together, but he didn't, they should be thankfull for that. ?

19 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well, according to what I've seen "the deal could be worth $280 million." I gather that means that they are buying Force India for $280 million.

Now, they are probably making an arrangement to pay it over time (lets say 10 years)...and then they need operating expenses. Perez comes with a sponsor, there are other established sponsors, there is the annual payout for last years results.......so it actually may be possible to slip into this thing at a cost of tens of millions, vice hundreds of millions.  

Rich Energy couldn't afford to buy my sister's second hand Fiat Panda... they are just desperate, both at Force India and Liberty to drum up some interest from other parties