Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2018 F1 season - discussion

22 hours ago, Sakae said:
1 hour ago, Ruslan said:

Farce India is in trouble. I think that 4th and 5th is between Renault and McLaren. They also have the same engine. Sixth with be a fight between Williams and Force India, if Force India is not completely out in the weeds as the season develops. Not sure they have the budget for a sustained fight. After that I think it is Haas, Toro Rosso, and the Sauber.

Force India has a very strong drivers line up, and I'm not sure that McLaren came up with a very good car, I attach a picture of a McLaren in the wet, you can clearly see that the water from the tyres impacts the body of the car, that is not a very good sign as the air does the same and you want to keep the turbolent air separate from the bodywork of the car

Regarding Williams obviously it's early in the year and so it's tough to make predictions but I fear that they have missed their last boat, they no longer have the mercedes advantage over some of their competitors that they had a few years ago, their team leader is inadequate and their drivers seem weak, unless Sirotkin turns out to be as good as people at Renault say he is I think that Williams is in trouble, Stroll isn't completely devoid of talent but he's too inexperienced

f1-barcelona-february-testing-2018-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mcl33-7696431.jpg

7 March 2018, 21:55

Data based evidence how top speed measured at speed trap doesn't necessarily converts into best lap times. Seb was slow in contrast to others the other day, yet topped time sheets, and today the same for a RBR in position 11 at the speed trap, yet topping lap time sheet. The thing - if it looks fast, than it is fast - said about McLaren doesn't really makes any sense, does it? 

DXtHFJjXkAARyCJ.jpg

I know he is LONG gone but,  It DOES seem the Ron way at McLaren.
Laughing everybody into a FALSE sense of security, it IS risky business but
NOT showing UR hand, in PRESEASON/. There are now, NO EXPECTATIONS for the season AHEAD
NOBODY is blowing the field AWAY.  It IS all pretty m uch as expected, except the Mclarens poor showing.
Though the HONDA IS doing a LOT better than expected

7 March 2018, 23:05  -  I think nothing is lost yet for McLaren. Simply put, optics could be better, however we do not know at the moment severity of their issues, and solving a few of those might put end of it. PCS asserted however earlier in a post on this page a body form issue (aero) which might be potentially more serious, if not fatal for this season. (New design might be needed). Too soon to tell whether car will sit on rails, or float all over the place. 

4 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I attach a picture of a McLaren in the wet, you can clearly see that the water from the tyres impacts the body of the car, that is not a very good sign as the air does the same and you want to keep the turbolent air separate from the bodywork of the car

Thanks for the teaching moment!

12 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

the only workable way to achieve that is to give the same engine to everyone...// it could be that Liberty wants to force them out and get cosworth to build them a PU to be used by the whole field

That'll be the day! When Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault compete with Cosworth engines. That would not deliver much value for them, I think. 

I donno. I think the best solution to the engine problem might be not to change the formula for a very long time. That way you'd get to a point where the different fabricates would be almost equal because only very small advantages could be found in improved design. And maybe that is what they should do with aero also. It might level the field in like five years maybe.

5 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Force India has a very strong drivers line up, and I'm not sure that McLaren came up with a very good car, I attach a picture of a McLaren in the wet, you can clearly see that the water from the tyres impacts the body of the car, that is not a very good sign as the air does the same and you want to keep the turbolent air separate from the bodywork of the car

Regarding Williams obviously it's early in the year and so it's tough to make predictions but I fear that they have missed their last boat, they no longer have the mercedes advantage over some of their competitors that they had a few years ago, their team leader is inadequate and their drivers seem weak, unless Sirotkin turns out to be as good as people at Renault say he is I think that Williams is in trouble, Stroll isn't completely devoid of talent but he's too inexperienced

Well, major F1 teams have screwed up the aerodynamics in the past.

But, it is my perception that Force India has been gifted its two fourth place championship results because of failures by other major teams (read: Renault, McLaren and Williams). I have a hard team believing that they all will keep screwing it up, but incompetence does seem to be infectious. Still, I am tempted to say that the fight for 4th will resolve as Renault, then McLaren, then Williams, then Force India. I guess we will have to run 20+ races to find out.

Williams is definitely also in trouble. They has their window to move back into being a winning team, and they kind of blew it. Sad.  

I do believe that both of Force India's drivers are free to leave the team after this year. It is one of the stronger driving pairings in the field. If Force India does not perform this year, I assume they will. The only problem is finding a home for them.

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

1. Mercedes

2-3. Red Bull/Ferrari

4-5. Renault/McLaren

6-7. Williams/Force India

8. Haas

9. Toro Rosso

10. Sauber

Maybe I should do driver predictions next.

This looks right. I could be tempted to promote Toro Rosso a bit.and move McLaren down in the group with Williams/Force India. It is going to be very exciting in Melbourne.

10 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I do believe that both of Force India's drivers are free to leave the team after this year. It is one of the stronger driving pairings in the field. If Force India does not perform this year, I assume they will. The only problem is finding a home for them.

it's going to be interesting to watch these two race each other, if they are allowed to do so, IMHO Perez still has the upper hand his problem IMHO is that he knows that he hasn't many options open to him wheres Ocon might end up at Mercedes.

I have noticed that Perez recently called his team mate a "sensation", I presume that he has now realised that claiming that you beat a sensation is better than claiming that you beat a moron :naughty:

10 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

I donno. I think the best solution to the engine problem might be not to change the formula for a very long time. That way you'd get to a point where the different fabricates would be almost equal because only very small advantages could be found in improved design. And maybe that is what they should do with aero also. It might level the field in like five years maybe.

I agree re the engines, IMHO the aero should be drastically reduced regardless of the costs but the point is that they are not going to do anything like that, sadly

I know, I know. It's only testing. But LOOK at Haas and Torro Rosso: Magnussen on supersofts and all around him on hypers. Looks like the grid might be stirred up some.

a56b654d-f730-4f60-b2d7-15aac6cb3a0a.png.jpg

6 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I agree re the engines, IMHO the aero should be drastically reduced regardless of the costs but the point is that they are not going to do anything like that, sadly

In case they limit aero further, then I sincerely hope they do it in a less square fashion. The no-go aero zones of current cars look like brutal straight lines among otherwise beautiful, organic shapes. It is such a pity. make the cars look like they were designed by people without esthetics. They should apply a mathematical function for a curved line instead of this rule of rulers. 

18 minutes ago, Robert Rick said:

I know, I know. It's only testing. But LOOK at Haas and Torro Rosso: Magnussen on supersofts and all around him on hypers. Looks like the grid might be stirred up some.

a56b654d-f730-4f60-b2d7-15aac6cb3a0a.png.jpg

I'm a big advocate for reading alot into testing times. The times show who has a fast car and who is struggling. I'm not saying TRHonda will suddenly jump to being the fourth best team, but the signs are really encouraging that they might compete mid-field. Plus the high number of mileage today... Impressive. I don't know what to make of the Haas though

From Skysports... go figure!

"Ferrari have finally revealed their hand while Haas and Toro Rosso impressed, but what are Mercedes and Red Bull hiding?"

What the hell is this British broadcaster/newsagent up to?

Did'nt RBR and Merc sortoff reveal their hand yesterday? Or were they just playing around on soft compounds, to the point where the media branded them as the top 2 teams who's going to fight tooth and nail while Ferrari is languishing around SOMEWHERE in third. I think it's still plausible that Merc might open up and blitz record times tomorrow.... but geezzz, some perspective guys!!!

33 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm a big advocate for reading alot into testing times. The times show who has a fast car and who is struggling. I'm not saying TRHonda will suddenly jump to being the fourth best team, but the signs are really encouraging that they might compete mid-field. Plus the high number of mileage today... Impressive. I don't know what to make of the Haas though

Gasley raced GP2-engines for two years. Maybe that's why he can make it run like McLaren seemingly couldn't.

15 minutes ago, Robert Rick said:

Gasley raced GP2-engines for two years. Maybe that's why he can make it run like McLaren seemingly couldn't.

I have BIG EXpectations For that boy!!! Really hope he succeeds!!!

19 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

This looks right. I could be tempted to promote Toro Rosso a bit.and move McLaren down in the group with Williams/Force India. It is going to be very exciting in Melbourne.

Yes, Melbourne and the first few races of the season will be interesting. Not sure the rest of the season will be.

9 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

it's going to be interesting to watch these two race each other, if they are allowed to do so, IMHO Perez still has the upper hand his problem IMHO is that he knows that he hasn't many options open to him wheres Ocon might end up at Mercedes.

I have noticed that Perez recently called his team mate a "sensation", I presume that he has now realised that claiming that you beat a sensation is better than claiming that you beat a moron :naughty:

At some point, Perez has got to get smarter. Great driver, but he is his own worst enemy. Ocon is simply a charmer. It was hard to hate him, even though the accidents last year were more his fault than Perez's. It is one of the few teams with two roughly equal drivers, and they are both trying (too) hard to get attention and move up. Added to that, I think the team might be in a "death spiral" which will lead to all kinds of additional drama and tension. This may be the entertaining contest of the season.

3 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

I'm a big advocate for reading alot into testing times. The times show who has a fast car and who is struggling

Sorry but,  I HAVE to DISAGREE.

It IS called testing,  for a REASON.

NOBODY knows exactly WHAT the teams ARE testing, what spec. fuel loads ... they are running the car at.
Teams HAVE their own simulator`s & dynos, where they CAN test imperative things.
Preseason testing IS, essentially just a marketing platform.
Currently, Renault & Mclaren ARE the most benefiting from THIS preseason.

NOBODY is really talking about a fizzy drink (Red Bull)

45 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

NOBODY knows exactly WHAT the teams ARE testing, what spec. fuel loads ... they are running the car at.
Teams HAVE their own simulator`s & dynos, where they CAN test imperative things.

That's elementary my dear Watson

3 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Preseason testing IS, essentially just a marketing platform.
Currently, Renault & Mclaren ARE the most benefiting from THIS preseason.

NOBODY is really talking about a fizzy drink (Red Bull)

I hear you. Still, many teams ran race simulations and qualifying simulations today and we are at the end of the test period where crews  are getting more familiar with the set up of the cars. My guess from today's run is of course that Mercedes are in a league by themselves. Ferrari and RB seem somewhat equal. Then we have Renault, followed by McLaren and it looks like HAAS and Torro Rosso could be stronger than Force India and Williams. Finally Sauber is going to end up last in most races. And of course nobody knows.

7 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

course nobody knows.

Formula 1 (F1) is, if spelt backwards - Murryism                               

9 March 2018, 09:05

If testing times could be (or are) misleading for far reaching conclusions derived from useless analyses, why then to engage in the following?

A GPS analysis done by Renault reportedly shows Mercedes with a clear, three-tenths advantage over Red Bull, with Ferrari trailing in third place.

What do we do with such information?

Far more interesting question of the day (for me) is what was Haas doing? Glory lap on low fuel, or they progressed quite well? Ari reportedly marched right-away over to find out.

On March 8, 2018 at 7:21 AM, Samouri said:

Thanks for the teaching moment!

McLaren FVCKED totally !

Classic KARMA :P

4 hours ago, radical-one said:

McLaren FVCKED totally !

Classic KARMA :P

yes setting the 2nd fastest time of the day is a negative result, radical please get some sense, don't ruin this forum with such sad comments, this is a nice place don't try to ruin everything, please, please try to think before hitting "submit"