Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2018 F1 season - discussion

On 5/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, Ruslan said:

There is some reason to question Vettel's abilities in traffic. He has won 49 races, but I believe has never won a race from below 3rd on the grid. Now, some of that is due to the nature of current F1, where there are often only two competitive teams in any given season, but, as we saw last race, he is not always his best in traffic.

Well, You've answered your own q's.

1. Vettel has proven to drive his way up to podiums from a long way back on the grid, several times in fact

2. There's always great risk-taking with this new aerodynamic hybrid vehicles that does'nt promote overtaking, especially when the machines are on an almost equal level. In this era is difficult to win a race from below 3rd on the grid, unless a safety car situation happens which lead to strategic calls which then lead to opportunistic wins.

3. We've already seen some really sublime overtaking manouvres from Vettel. You're just too blind to see it since you seem to have a misconcieved opinion of his overtaking abilities. Sometimes risk taking leads to mistakes on the battlefied, case in point our friend Mister Ric last race (who in my view relies too much on the competitor not closing the door).  It happens. Look what happened to the argument about Vettel only being able to win in Newey designed cars.

The opinion that Vettel is not always the best in traffic is misconceived. Apply that rule to other drivers (Hamilton and Ric) who has committed the cardinal sin of crashing into teammates attempting overtakes. Learn to be abit more objective

6 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Learn to be abit more objective

Really? I look under the rather embarrassingly titled thread "Lewis a Prima Donna and a brat" and I see the following post from you: "His [Hamilton] most intense battle yet! He knows if he can beat Vettel, the most complete and best driver on the grid, his stock will rise significantly. In short, he will look like a genius."

I am sorry....but I don't think you have demonstrated that you are qualified to evaluate and pass judgment on my objectivity.

3 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Really? I look under the rather embarrassingly titled thread "Lewis a Prima Donna and a brat" and I see the following post from you: "His [Hamilton] most intense battle yet! He knows if he can beat Vettel, the most complete and best driver on the grid, his stock will rise significantly. In short, he will look like a genius."

I am sorry....but I don't think you have demonstrated that you are qualified to evaluate and pass judgment on my objectivity.

Geeezzz... Are you stalking me and my post's or something. Seriously dude, now you're scaring me!!! Do you take minutes on everybody or something??? We had alot of Vettel antagonist's on this forum before, but this tops it.

I think btw, if you look at that post objectively, as I been stating all along... Man, Hamilton does look good now don't you think. But I must have written it early during last season, when Vettel was leading the standings then the Merc car prove too much superior and pulled ahead. And... Hamilton himself has stated that it's his most intense battle yet. So I was correct. read up Hamilton's comments on his battle with vettel, you'll find ALOT of admiration there buddy. The guy is still somewhat of a genius, just below Vettel though

17 hours ago, Ruslan said:

<<quicker in putting temperature on the tyres?>> Not sure how this would really do it race after race.

<<different compounds from last year?>> This would effect everyone.

<<different use of the MGU-K?>> Perhaps.

<<different petrol?>> Perhaps.

<<Hamilton non very focused this year?>> Well......Raikkonen has been out-qualifying Bottas this season.....

I would probably add to this list: Doing something creative with oil.

I try answer to your questions, unfortunately I can't seem to be able to quote and reply, but here it foes

1) it would work with a new susnspion design

2) we've seen in the past that the tyre manufacturer can influence the standings, in the past Pirelli seemed to favour Mercedes, maybe now they are looking after Ferrari, there are a million little things that Pirelli could do to turn their tyres into something more favorable for a team and not to another

3) it seems that Ferrari put a lot of effort in their batteries

4) yes, but as you correctly pointed out he was faster than Bottas who in turn was beaten more often than not by none other than Felipe Massa

5) why should they do something creative with the oil when they know that the issue of burning oil is in the spotlight? besides they could achieve the very same result by including some of the components of their oil directly in their fuel (and it would be legal) ;) On top of that I still don't get why the only way that Ferrari can achieve anything is by cheating B)

13 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I try answer to your questions, unfortunately I can't seem to be able to quote and reply, but here it foes

2) we've seen in the past that the tyre manufacturer can influence the standings, in the past Pirelli seemed to favour Mercedes,maybe now they are looking after Ferrari, there are a million little things that Pirelli could do to turn their tyres into something more favorable for a team and not to another

Lol. You don't really believe this do you?

In the past, the issue with Michelin vs Bridgestone came down to the feedback from various teams while Bridgestone basically just had Ferrari and (can't remember the other low-level team). Ferrari started suffering because they could'nt keep up with the developments.

On your point...I read an interesting article quoting Pat Symonds, He seemed to suggest that because of the engine advantage that Merc had, it actually masked their tyre problems. Remember few years back they had exactly the same problems (when Schumie and Rosberg were the drivers). The Merc cars were eating up the tyres!

Looking at free practise today, I STILL see a similiar trend. They seem more comfortable and faster than any team on the harder compounds. It's when they get onto the softer compounds that's when they experience more blistering than their rivals. Now that RBR and Ferrari has caught up, it's just more apparent.

I believe there's no favoritism from Pirelli, all through the years it's not been sorted, as simple as that.

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Lol. You don't really believe this do you?

In the past, the issue with Michelin vs Bridgestone came down to the feedback from various teams while Bridgestone basically just had Ferrari and (can't remember the other low-level team). Ferrari started suffering because they could'nt keep up with the developments.

On your point...I read an interesting article quoting Pat Symonds, He seemed to suggest that because of the engine advantage that Merc had, it actually masked their tyre problems. Remember few years back they had exactly the same problems (when Schumie and Rosberg were the drivers). The Merc cars were eating up the tyres!

Looking at free practise today, I STILL see a similiar trend. They seem more comfortable and faster than any team on the harder compounds. It's when they get onto the softer compounds that's when they experience more blistering than their rivals. Now that RBR and Ferrari has caught up, it's just more apparent.

I believe there's no favoritism from Pirelli, all through the years it's not been sorted, as simple as that.

it might not be intentional but certain cars use better certain type of tyres than others. Yes I remember that Mercedes used to have a lot of problems, especially with their rear tyres

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

...quoting Pat Symonds, He seemed to suggest that because of the engine advantage that Merc had, it actually masked their tyre problems.

This assessment cannot be more truthful also about McLaren's case. Blaming Honda for anything and everything was generally accepted as the sole reason behind bad racing results, masking other issues...There were one or two voices casting doubts that all is fine and dandy, but those were quickly suppressed. Now we know.

McLaren after some pompous language how "great" they are, has eggs on their faces for now, however unless there is fatal flaw in body engineering (denotes they have to go back and design a new car from a baseline), aero can be fixed during a season. It just might take a while for them to sort it out. It is possible that the decision on switching PUs was made quite late, and engineering skipped some due diligence work under time constrains (speculating). I am of course not predicting how their season will develop, but it is almost certain they will have difficult time to place among top 5 teams this year. It would be sad to see them in free downfall, but Renault, FI and TR/Haas might give them run for their money.

6 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

We had alot of Vettel antagonist's on this forum before, but this tops it.

This had nothing to with Vettel...it has everything to do with your remark "Learn to be abit more objective."

Do you care to demonstrate that you are more objective?

6 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

1) it would work with a new susnspion design

2) we've seen in the past that the tyre manufacturer can influence the standings, in the past Pirelli seemed to favour Mercedes, maybe now they are looking after Ferrari, there are a million little things that Pirelli could do to turn their tyres into something more favorable for a team and not to another

3) it seems that Ferrari put a lot of effort in their batteries

4) yes, but as you correctly pointed out he was faster than Bottas who in turn was beaten more often than not by none other than Felipe Massa

5) why should they do something creative with the oil when they know that the issue of burning oil is in the spotlight? besides they could achieve the very same result by including some of the components of their oil directly in their fuel (and it would be legal) ;) On top of that I still don't get why the only way that Ferrari can achieve anything is by cheating B)

Thanks for the response. On the other hand....you will note that I have not used the word "cheat." Maybe the "Fleet Street press" does......but I am a long way from England.

5 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Thanks for the response. On the other hand....you will note that I have not used the word "cheat." Maybe the "Fleet Street press" does......but I am a long way from England.

sure in fact I have always referred to some parts of the media in my posts, they are spreading such rumors, not the fans

11 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

sure in fact I have always referred to some parts of the media in my posts, they are spreading such rumors, not the fans

Well, some of the British press has been known to be a little rabid at times. 

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

This had nothing to with Vettel...it has everything to do with your remark "Learn to be abit more objective."

Do you care to demonstrate that you are more objective?

This has EVERYTHING to do with Vettel... He turns into the topic of discussion. His so-called "shortcomings and defections", which you try to bring up with almost every single post, or keep turning to.

Learn to be more objective dear buddy

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Learn to be more objective dear buddy

Hypocrite.

17 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Hypocrite.

If you accuse me of being hypocritical, well look at your posts Ruslan. And now you disappointed me with starting to stoop so low with name-calling. You seem a reasonable good guy to discuss F1 matters with, some posts of yours I enjoy reading. Until you degenerate into Vettel bashing again

47 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

they seem to be obsessed with Ferrari, in fact in the good old day they used to call them "the bloody red cars" :lol:

Seriously :huh::blink:

28 May 2018, 08:46 (CEST)

If some insist on developing racing cars technology which to some degree is (commuter) road relevant, perhaps then they should take also racing tracks limitations into consideration as part of liberated thinking. We are at the point when we do need more than one type of a car in the racing garage. One design suited for Monaco (city racing), and the second type for topography of Monza, Spa and alike. Taking the Maybach Exelero for shopping at Walmart makes very little sense, why would than make any sense driving a car capable of 380 [km/hr] on streets of Monaco? A season having number of city races could justify this approach from sporting perspective, unless of course one adopts the inverse position, and races a car designed for Monaco also at Monza, and doesn't complains about it after the race.  

28 May 2018, 16:45 (CEST)

Are we done yet with investigations of Ferrari's success? I have actually lost count how many times red coat of paint was scrutinized already this season (and its not worth my time to research that topic in FiA archives). 

Apparently not. (we aren't done - yet)

FIA to keep checking Ferrari legality in Canada. Whiting is now busy explaining to rivals what is Ferrari doing. 

The rivals already know what Ferrari is doing as Mercedes has hired a former Ferrari engineer. Secrets aren't secrets for long in F1.

The key part of the story is that the Ferrari software identifies two batteries. Why does it do that? There are reasons people have been suspicious.

8 hours ago, Ruslan said:

The rivals already know what Ferrari is doing as Mercedes has hired a former Ferrari engineer. Secrets aren't secrets for long in F1.

The key part of the story is that the Ferrari software identifies two batteries. Why does it do that? There are reasons people have been suspicious.

29 May 2018, 07:45 (CEST)

This is a strange explanation of yours. Don't you think that timing of the topic of interest is suspect since it has been raised only now when Ferrari is about on the par with MB on PU side? Why was not the official complain submitted through the proper and transparent channels earlier, if they really thought rules were broken?

Maybe this has something to do with their "concern": 

It was confirmed on the eve of the Monaco Grand Prix that Lewis Hamilton’s championship rival Sebastian Vettel will face no punishment after the FIA cleared his team of breaking any rules.

Lovely way to describe "Vettel's cheating" and getting away with that (in the eyes of English speaking media). However I rather think that it is more off Hamilton's uncontested times for past several years are gone, cheap trophies might be the thing of the past, and worries are mounting.

29 May 2018, 12:27 (CEST)

BTW, I wish we would be able to revive all of past keyboards battles from a year or two back when I had something unflattering to say about Verstappen's senseless driving (maybe I should say diving), which caused often unpleasant moments for Vettel, yet I had been dismissed, well, because it was "only Vettel," a frequent subject of ridicule and bellicose language. Max was then fully supported by RBR in his "youthful exuberance," and look today where it got them. It is true once again that sometimes unattended problems of the past will do 360 and bite you into a*** in least convenient manner. I have no sympathy for RB, because they are harvesting what they planted in the first place. Having said that, Verstappen has talent, no one doubts that, but they all do, however he is yet to learn driving smarter. Some of his former derisive comments in a paddock about Vettel's skills are now plastered all over his face, while he is facing possibility of forcibly going back to TR. (well, maybe)

My (unsolicited) advice to him - one can be a punk, but one needs proper ammunition for it first, before he can enter upper zone and report back to rest of us mortals.

12 hours ago, Sakae said:

29 May 2018, 12:27 (CEST)

BTW, I wish we would be able to revive all of past keyboards battles from a year or two back when I had something unflattering to say about Verstappen's senseless driving (maybe I should say diving), which caused often unpleasant moments for Vettel, yet I had been dismissed, well, because it was "only Vettel," a frequent subject of ridicule and bellicose language. Max was then fully supported by RBR in his "youthful exuberance," and look today where it got them. It is true once again that sometimes unattended problems of the past will do 360 and bite you into a*** in least convenient manner. I have no sympathy for RB, because they are harvesting what they planted in the first place. Having said that, Verstappen has talent, no one doubts that, but they all do, however he is yet to learn driving smarter. Some of his former derisive comments in a paddock about Vettel's skills are now plastered all over his face, while he is facing possibility of forcibly going back to TR. (well, maybe)

My (unsolicited) advice to him - one can be a punk, but one needs proper ammunition for it first, before he can enter upper zone and report back to rest of us mortals.

Well, to think there's one among us who even thinks he is the best driver on the F1 driver grid

8 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Well, to think there's one among us who even thinks he is the best driver on the F1 driver grid

I do echo Sebastian in believe, that he, Max, could be that - one day, however as you know there are no guarantees in our lives.