Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2018 F1 season - discussion

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I do echo Sebastian in believe, that he, Max, could be that - one day, however as you know there are no guarantees in our lives. 

Exactly, maybe sometime in the future

Translation: Some voices in English have started saying that Ferrari is about to be excluded from the Championship, as if they were caught in the act.

DeYK6ptXUAAYvSV.jpg

30 May 2018, 22:04 (CEST) - After Canadian race they will do 4 races in succession in the heat of summer? Is this a "good thing"?

3 June 2018, 08:17 (CEST)   Undoubtedly we - F1 loyalists - live in interesting times. Scanning headlines, all time I have these days, makes me wonder if it was always like that, and I haven't been merely paying attention.

- Wolff needs anger management sessions after discussing future of PU in a strategy meeting.

- Cyril Abiteboul is tearing his hair out (from whatever is left, which is not much) being in relationship with RBR.

- Both McLaren's drivers are seeking (or are advised to sek) new pastures. Bravo Mr. Brown. 

Anyone unhappy with last race should submerge into off track action. There is plenty of it going around.

6 June 2018, 06:06 (CEST)

Decision time.

Wolff - we will carry on with the F1 (if possible).

Nice to know. We have no such assurances however on the Italian side (yet). So, MB has a reason for staying.

Wolf:

Speaking in Berlin at the Bild-100-Sport conference, Wolff told delegates which included F1 chief Chase Carey, “Formula 1 is part of our core business. The first Mercedes was a racing car. Formula 1 is not just a marketing platform for us. There is a direct technology transfer from the championship.”

“We also value the sporting nature of our brand. That’s why we want to stay in the series because it’s the only true global platform that counts for us. It is clearly the top class in racing.”

Yes, but lets not forget that Mr. Benz has longer history than that. Almost 140 years ago when first concept of a car was born, however I would not call it a racing buggy.

36 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Now that's a man I would like to have conversation with.

Quick summary:

Seb`s second word; 
OFF !!

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Me too

On the track.... a relentless competitive animal.

Off-track. Realistic, Normal, Down to earth and a pleasant personality. My kind of guy

Yes, he is NORMAL. So refreshing and attractive state of mind. 

15 July 2018, 09:38 (CEST) - Looks like no new competitors are keen to enter F1 in form of expansion after 2020.  I don't think its necessarily bad, as I have always been proponent of quality over quantity. Ideas of 30+ cars running in a file on most of current F1 tracks leaves me cold. In fact, podium has only 3 positions, and if we have 6 or 8 cars which can appear there based on merit, that's good enough for me. To be frank I've tried to watch NASCAR with that many cars, and frequent lead changes bore me. I do not want to see it in F1.

If I think of suspense in the last race whether Seb get him, and so he did, there was nothing which can compare to that feeling. Take fight Vertsappen had with Kimi. Beautiful.  We need more of it, and that's what FiA should be thinking about.

Formula 1 is, the pinnacle of motor sport - the BEST
How can there be, 30 BEST in the worlds in motorsport

You don't have to convince me.

People who are for big crowd are likes Ruslan, Publius, and many, many others. I am opposed to the big grid. Can anyone imagine 30 or 40 cars in Monaco? 

18 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Me too

On the track.... a relentless competitive animal.

Off-track. Realistic, Normal, Down to earth and a pleasant personality. My kind of guy

Get a room !!!

15 July 2018, 16:44 (CEST) - Back to grid size - I used to watch (religiously) next to F1 also ChampCar series. If my memory serves me, series was of similar size as current F1 is, and it was fun, with plenty overtaking. I have however never understood why anyone thinks if CHAMP has not survived in US, F1 in comparison, will flourish. Sounds doubtful to me. One race per year - maybe, but 3 or 4 of F1 races, CAN one more? I guess this is going to be pretty expensive experiment and someone will loose a lot of money along way. 

16 July 2018, 11:04 (CEST)  Occasionally I think there seems to be just as much, if not more, action between races off track, as during races. Alliances are formed and dissolved. So, is there going to be budget or not? Is PU going to change? Signals we are receiving are pretty much like mashed potato salad. One doesn't know what to think of it. 

I've never made secret what I think of budgets, namely, they are impractical, expensive to audit it correctly and fairly, bandage type of solution and after all is done, they will not address core issues. This is a technology based sport, not a hockey league where counting heads is all what's needed.

Reality is, F1 is a sport which is expensive, and not for everyone. Is budget - for sake of argument - about EUR 200 MM going to solve Williams's problems? Permit me to doubt that. It will slow down arms race at the front, but that's about all. Is budget of EUR 120 MM going to be accepted by automakers? Is Liberty going to recover their investment if automakers depart from series?

I am not sure who has all answers.

On 30/05/2018 at 11:54 AM, BradSpeedMan said:

there are no guarantees in our lives.

This is NOT true.
I can GUARANTEE you,  you WILL die.
Death IS guaranteed in life.
Born to live, 
We live to DIE

15 races per season? I am in. Less is more!

Abiteboul told Motorsport Network, “We need to be able to engage with fans but it has to remain something special. We are already way above what should be the figure for something special.”

“We need to convey a message of pride, of motivation, of energy. With the calendar that we have now, the enthusiasm is not the same as when we were only travelling 15 times per year. If we don’t have that energy, it is going to be very difficult to convey that externally.”

Interesting to hear that.

James Key has admitted Honda's confidence has been boosted since joining Toro Rosso. Perhaps it was the constant calls from Fernando Alonso in the McLaren of "how slow is this car" that damaged their confidence levels in the past.

19 July 2018, 10:18 (CEST)  McLaren - Brown admits that their 2018 car is not as good as one fielded in 2017.  I am not sure how to make any sense of this kind of "news". Car was supposed to be evolution, in other words just improvement of the last year car. New management now is asking for patience (and time of a few years) before we will see some good results. What is clear here is, that it was not all just Honda, as we in public were mislead by McLaren for several years that PU is their sole problem.

Last race McLaren won was in Nov 2012. No wins in 2013 and 2014, despite having powerful PU bolted on their chassis. It seems reasonable to ask whether degradation of performance was mismanaged, as various people left the organization.

19 July 2018, 11:57 (CEST)

“You’ve got to feel somewhat for Eric Boullier because I didn’t see him design the car, I didn’t see him build the car, I didn’t see him drive the car but yet he’s stood down because someone has to be the scapegoat,” Coulthard told Crash.net. 

Agree.

Wrong person left the team.