Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Race 2 - F1 2018 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

9 April 2018, 06:38 (CEST) - Yes, on emotional level, with some luck it was a good day for some. I am happy for drivers like Ericsson, Gasly, Magnussen. Gro drove with damaged car, thus I understand his situation. Seb has done a stellar job, and his overtake on Hamilton probably saved a day. Incident between Verstappen and Hamilton is similar to one Seb had with Max, but then Vettel was blamed and penalized. This time Race Stewards decided it was a racing accident, which was probably fair judgement, despite some juicy language. If Sauber is happy, TR - judging from pictures - are going crazy with smiles and hugging all over. Kimi drove well, but also had some bad luck. I feel sorry for mechanic, and hoping for his return later this season.

9 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well, entertaining race. Great drive by Vettel. Bottas will be looking for a new ride next year. Hamilton seems uninspired today, even though he passed three cars at one time. Hamilton did drive with some care, unlike Verstappen. Verstappen paid for his sins.

Gasly did great as did several other drivers behind him. We do seem to be seeing a sudden surge of French drivers. Not sure why that is (or why there are no Italians or Brazilians in the field). Even Ericsson managed to get some points for Sauber. One of the more interesting challenges is to see who is the worse team of the season. Sauber now has points, Force India and Williams do not, and look very much out of it.

In the bad haircut department, Hamilton upped his game after being seriously challenged by Vettel. Vettel will probably need a neck tattoo to remain competitive.

A few bigger picture observations:

1. I still think Mercedes has the edge (probably being polite here).
  2. The entire grid looks very two-tiered, with the top teams pretty much lapping the rest of the field.
  3. They probably still need to make some changes before 2021.

9 April 2018, 08:11 (CEST) - Deploying old and worn out cliche - it might take a while to sort out who is who, and what is what. I am not expecting much of clarity before summer break, when development race intensifies. We are not having any Boys from Brazil on the grid, because we have a boys from Canada and Russia. South America felt out of favor. What happened to Italians I leave for comment to our friend when he drops in. Regarding Williams, when Symonds left, I had feeling right then, that outfit was doomed by that loss. Today they are on life support.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:15 AM, Caesar said:

1.merc

2.ferrari

3.rb

4.haaaaas

5.mcl33

6.renault

7.other merc powered cars

Sauber

Dead last toro rosso

More like ;

1. Ferrari

2. Merc

3. Torro-rosso Honda (not dead last) :tiphat:

Sakae, I don't know about you but I was more than holding my breath those last few laps as Bottas bore down on Vettel. How he held on I don't know but I am so happy that he did!!

Felt bad for the Ferrari mechanic who ended up with a broken leg, mind you it's happened before, I remember Nigel Stepney having almost the exact same thing happen to him, also at Ferrari, years ago.

Great drive by Gasly, Honda must be so glad they moved their engines to Toro Rosso! Quite a good race all in all. A day to forget for Red Bull and Verstappen in particular.

18 minutes ago, Lyria said:

Sakae, I don't know about you but I was more than holding my breath those last few laps as Bottas bore down on Vettel. How he held on I don't know but I am so happy that he did!!

Felt bad for the Ferrari mechanic who ended up with a broken leg, mind you it's happened before, I remember Nigel Stepney having almost the exact same thing happen to him, also at Ferrari, years ago.

Great drive by Gasly, Honda must be so glad they moved their engines to Toro Rosso! Quite a good race all in all. A day to forget for Red Bull and Verstappen in particular.

Hi Lyria; yeah, this is now second race which - thanks Seb - affected respiratory parts of my body as well. Melbourne was no different, and fending off superior MB car lasted more than 10 laps.  

Regarding Verstappen - I rather keep my mouth shut other than a brief remark, that his driving is often opportunistic and gave plenty people chance to defame Vettel (despite him being victim) in the past, yet Verstappen's many drives were not what should have been tolerated. Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso, Kimi... are they all wrong condemning his reckless style? I was taken into garden shed on this forum for expressing my disapproval already couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Lyria said:

Great drive by Gasly, Honda must be so glad they moved their engines to Toro Rosso! Quite a good race all in all. 

I am glad they did that move too. B)

I watched the race last night after MotoGP, wow it was quite a night

Vettel - IMHO he's the driver of the day, he won, not Ferrari, what he did in the last 15 laps IMHO is extra-ordinary, he was driving on eggs, he didn't put a foot wrong and looked after the tyres yet he managed to keep a solid pace. Super :tiphat:

Bottas - he can be quick and he can win the odd race but he's not a top team material, he had a much better strategy than his team mate and had a very quick car, IMHO yesterday the Mercedes was significantly quicker than the Ferrari, yet despite all that he didn't manage to make a move on Vettel, it's quite shocking 

Hamilton - his problem was that he had to strat from 9th, the team had to give Bottas a better strategy hoping that he would win and take some points from Vettel, I think that Hamilton did ok, his car was very fast (that move on 3 cars was great to watch but without a Mercedes engine on the back of his car he wouldn't have been able to achive it), sadly for him his team mate is not very good. Oh, Bottas is still his team mate because Hamilton doesn't want a serious challenger as team mate? too bad 

Gasly - if it wasn't for Vettel's last 15 laps yesterday he would have been the hero of the day, and in fariness he would have deserved it. He did a great job, his car wasn't superfast on the straight but it was reasonably quick and it lasted to the end. I'm very happy for him, for Toro Rosso and for Honda.Now we want to see more of this

Magnussen - he did well, I wasn't impressed by him when he was at Renault but it seems that he has managed to adapt well to the Haas (which looks like a very balanced car), good for him

Hulkenberg - it didn't look to me as if he did anything out of the ordinary, but maybe I'm wrong because he was so far ahead of his team mate

Alonso - fought like a lion, let's hope that McLAren can improve that car

Vandoorne - not at Alonso's level but he's doing ok, I guess that he won't be the next big thing but he's turning into a solid driver

Ericcson - what happened? :o he had a very good race yesterday, has Dr. Ceccarelli finally managed to turn him into a decent racing driver? I would have never expected such a strong race for him, we shall see if it was a one off or if he has finally learned how to drive an F1 car

Ocon - nothing to write home about, he didn't look much quicker than Perez who had some damage to his car

Marquez - yes, I know that he doesn't race in F1, but what do you think of his race yesterday? IMHO he was stupid, he was so much quicker than the others, he should have won the race even by strating from the pit lane, pity he turned off his brain and became a liability. IMHO he should have been black flagged after what he did at the start, yesterday he was too dangerous, both for himself as well as for the other riders

Gasly was actually voted a driver of the race. (I am not sure by whom, but that's OK with me.) Rating I've seen Vettel received 8 points out of 10.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Hi Lyria; yeah, this is now second race which - thanks Seb - affected respiratory parts of my body as well. Melbourne was no different, and fending off superior MB car lasted more than 10 laps.  

Regarding Verstappen - I rather keep my mouth shut other than a brief remark, that his driving is often opportunistic and gave plenty people chance to defame Vettel (despite him being victim) in the past, yet Verstappen's many drives were not what should have been tolerated. Vettel, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso, Kimi... are they all wrong condemning his reckless style? I was taken into garden shed on this forum for expressing my disapproval already couple of years ago.

Verstappen is a good driver for the most part, but his young age shows him up sometimes in my experience. I've been defending him to a friend of mine saying how he's young and he'll settle down etc. So far this season he looks to be out to prove me wrong. That move yesterday was stupid. Oh and if you haven't seen it, you should try and find the clip of film where in the drivers room before the podium, after the race, Hamilton tells Bottas that Verstappen drove like a 'richardhead' (that's the polite version) and watch Vettel's face as he turns to camera, it's a picture ;)

54 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I watched the race last night after MotoGP, wow it was quite a night

Vettel - IMHO he's the driver of the day, he won, not Ferrari, what he did in the last 15 laps IMHO is extra-ordinary, he was driving on eggs, he didn't put a foot wrong and looked after the tyres yet he managed to keep a solid pace. Super :tiphat:

Marquez - yes, I know that he doesn't race in F1, but what do you think of his race yesterday? IMHO he was stupid, he was so much quicker than the others, he should have won the race even by strating from the pit lane, pity he turned off his brain and became a liability. IMHO he should have been black flagged after what he did at the start, yesterday he was too dangerous, both for himself as well as for the other riders

Hey Publius :) As always I agree with pretty much everything you say, especially the Vettel part ;)

As for Marquez, I didn't watch the motogp yesterday to know the move he made that annoyed you, but when I was following it I never liked him. He's both rash and dangerous, talented too I grant you, but he rides like a moron and makes stupid moves that is going to get himself or someone else seriously hurt one of these days!! If they don't stop him from doing that it will be the stewards fault when he does it again and does some serious damage out there.

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

Gasly was actually voted a driver of the race. (I am not sure by whom, but that's OK with me.) Rating I've seen Vettel received 8 points out of 10.

Vettel should have been the driver of the day.  Merc clearly had the better strategy and if not for Vettel and his tyre management he would have to lost to bottas and may be Lewis too.