Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Race 3 - F1 2018 HEINEKEN CHINESE GRAND PRIX

FP 1 Results....no real surprises:

1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:33.999
  2. Valtteri Bottas Mercedes +0.458
  3. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari +0.476
  4. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull +0.538
  5. Max Verstappen Red Bull +0.669
  6. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari +0.862
  7. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.179
  8. Carlos Sainz Renault +1.617
  9. Romain Grosjean Haas +1.719
  10. Nico Hulkenberg Renault +1.801
  11. Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso +2.038
  12. Fernando Alonso McLaren +2.045
  13. Sergio Perez Force India +2.052
  14. Esteban Ocon Force India +2.352
  15. Sergey Sirotkin Williams +2.692
  16. Charles Leclerc Sauber +2.724
  17. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren +2.757
  18. Marcus Ericsson Sauber +2.910
  19. Lance Stroll Williams +3.278
  20. Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso +3.938

13 April 2018, 07:04 (CEST) - I am still not found of current qualification system, because - in terms of numbers - it is so misleading. Ferrari traditionally is testing two distinctly different race strategies, and until end of FP3 we might not get a sniff of what's the game plan. MB is of course strong on this track, that much is hardly any secret. 

13 April 2018, 10:16 (CEST) - Ferrari has some work to do on one lap speed in colder temp. It's not bad, yet not enough to own MB.

12 hours ago, Sakae said:

13 April 2018, 07:04 (CEST) - I am still not found of current qualification system, because - in terms of numbers - it is so misleading. Ferrari traditionally is testing two distinctly different race strategies, and until end of FP3 we might not get a sniff of what's the game plan. MB is of course strong on this track, that much is hardly any secret. 

Yea, I have never liked the new qualifying system. Having qualifying on Friday forced the teams to actually run in anger and told you something. It also gave the spectators a reason to be at the track on Friday.

FP 2 results....still few surprises:

World Championship, the Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai International Circuit.

POS NO DRIVER CAR TIME GAP LAPS Tyre
1 44 Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES 1:33.482   26
ULTRA SOFT
2 7 Kimi Räikkönen FERRARI 1:33.489 +0.007 26
ULTRA SOFT
3 77 Valtteri Bottas MERCEDES 1:33.515 +0.033 27
ULTRA SOFT
4 5 Sebastian Vettel FERRARI 1:33.590 +0.108 27
ULTRA SOFT
5 33 Max Verstappen RED BULL 1:33.823 +0.341 26
ULTRA SOFT
6 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:34.313 +0.831 30
ULTRA SOFT
7 20 Kevin Magnussen HAAS 1:34.458 +0.976 26
ULTRA SOFT
8 55 Carlos Sainz RENAULT 1:34.473 +0.991 28
ULTRA SOFT
9 3 Daniel Ricciardo RED BULL 1:34.557 +1.075 26
ULTRA SOFT
10 14 Fernando Alonso MCLAREN 1:34.632 +1.150 23
ULTRA SOFT
11 31 Sergio Perez FORCE INDIA 1:34.792 +1.310 30
ULTRA SOFT
12 10 Pierre Gasly TORO ROSSO 1:34.849 +1.367 33
ULTRA SOFT
13 31 Esteban Ocon FORCE INDIA 1:34.874 +1.392 30
ULTRA SOFT
14 2 Stoffel Vandoorne MCLAREN 1:35.163 +1.681 22
ULTRA SOFT
15 28 Brendon Hartley TORO ROSSO 1:35.333 +1.851 38
ULTRA SOFT
16 35 Sergey Sirotkin WILLIAMS 1:35.340 +1.858 31
ULTRA SOFT
17 9 Marcus Ericsson SAUBER 1:35.624 +2.142 29
ULTRA SOFT
18 37 Charles Leclerc SAUBER 1:35.916 +2.434 26
ULTRA SOFT
19 8 Romain Grosjean HAAS 1:36.471 +2.989 26
ULTRA SOFT
20 18 Lance Stroll WILLIAMS 1:37.147 +3.665 19
ULTRA SOFT

A few observations from the first two Free Practices:

1. Mercedes seems to be ahead of Ferrari who are ahead of Red Bull.

2. Haas and Renault are showing some speed among the "tier 2" teams.

3. Sauber and Williams seem to be slower than everyone else.

FP 3 results:

Results (Classification):

1. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:33.018
  2. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari +0.451
  3. Valtteri Bottas Mercedes +0.743
  4. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.951
  5. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG +1.039
  6. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.311
  7. Sergio Perez Force India +1.427
  8. Esteban Ocon Force India +1.438
  9. Carlos Sainz Renault +1.564
  10. Sergey Sirotkin Williams +1.723
  11. Nico Hulkenberg Renault +1.823
  12. Fernando Alonso McLaren +1.833
  13. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren +1.959
  14. Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso +1.973
  15. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing +2.043
  16. Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso +2.061
  17. Lance Stroll Williams +2.357
  18. Charles Leclerc Alfa Romeo Sauber +2.479
  19. Marcus Ericsson Alfa Romeo Sauber +2.661
  20. Romain Grosjean Haas +2.738

Watched this one on TV. The new Sky Sports broadcasters that we are getting to annoy me. Kind of a constant drone in the background.

The fastest time in FP 1 was 1:33.999, in FP 2 was 1:33.482 and in FP 3 was 1:33.018. This is not a lot of improvement.

14 April 2018, 06:27 (CEST) - Reports are emerging about Ferrari testing in FP2 new parts, but Seb wasn't happy sailor. I'me not sure what's going on, but there is a lot of smoke all over the place. Haas, RBR, etc. Not sure what MB is trying to prove in FP3 by letting off some false baloons. Put us all into sleep in BELIEVING?

14 April 2018, 07:02 (CEST) - Mercedes, specifically Allison, said in Barcelona it was not necessary for them to test soft tires in cold temperatures. Today in Shanghai conditions are almost similar (12 deg C, track 16), and his cars are all over the place. I am sorry to say this, but I am happy he is out of Maranello.

14 April 2018, 09:03 (CEST)

Sebastian gives new meaning, and redefines expression "pulling rabbits out of hat"; gave me almost heart attack until dying seconds, yes, seconds!! That's what Michael used to do on the last lap extending beyond 0:00 on the clock. Well done. F1 is, and was always about suspense. Predictability of MB winning all was killing the sport. They were allowed to stay too far at the front for too long.

Looks like Ferrari has a good car this time around. Kimi looks confident with the car as well. Both drivers are happy.  Mercedes , I dont know what's going on. They can't be 0.4 secs down suddenly.  Is this something to do with lewis s contract.  Something's not right. 

Interesting race I am sure. Max with the ultra and lewis on soft. It's going to be bahrain round 2. 

Vettel for the win.  

11 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Is Seb the one taking the smile off of Lewis' face ? Including Toto I guess.

Add Sky and BBC "experts"... I am now waiting for Horner to start bit***g that Vettel's hairdo gives him unfair advantage.

It is refreshing and little strange at the same time to observe post-qualifying interview with drivers, and Hamilton's face is not there.

Noises are getting lauder regarding McLaren's chassis which was lacking for past four years, and which is exactly contrary to what McLaren consistently claimed. 

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Merc circuit...

If we can win here....

Yeah, race and points are planned for tomorrow. Ferrari has front row, but it may change in the race if track temp will change. (I do assume red cars have "cold temp" setup.) On positive note, Bahrain could be repeated, altho this track allows for overtaking.

27 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Yeah, race and points are planned for tomorrow. Ferrari has front row, but it may change in the race if track temp will change. (I do assume red cars have "cold temp" setup.) On positive note, Bahrain could be repeated, altho this track allows for overtaking.

Agreed... but we are now fast on the long straights

I am hopeful

Didn't watch qualifying (it was on at 1:55 AM)....but.....I gather it was a little cold. Going to be warmer on race day. This may make for a very interesting race.

The seventh place car (the top Tier 2 car) is almost 1.5 seconds slower than the pole car and over a half second slower than the slowest Red Bull.

Some of the team results were interesting:

Hulkenberg over Sainz

Perez over Ocon

Hartley over Gasly

There was been a lot of buzz over Sainz, Ocon and Gasly this last week.

7 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

There was been a lot of buzz over Sainz, Ocon and Gasly this last week.

...just as Hamilton was going to wipe Vettel's smile of his face, Vettel might go through meltdown (I believe your prediction), yet look... so far so good. None of our predictions turned up as expected, which makes life interesting.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

It is refreshing and little strange at the same time to observe post-qualifying interview with drivers, and Hamilton's face is not there.

Noises are getting lauder regarding McLaren's chassis which was lacking for past four years, and which is exactly contrary to what McLaren consistently claimed. 

ditto

can't wait for the race tomorrow

Oh dearie me...

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/634429/Turning_point_in_FerrariMerc_battle/

As I predicted in another thread, domination in F1 with any team takes 4 years, and Merc might just slide. I'm still abit apprehensive, we don't know what the race tomorrow holds, especially with the swing in performances with the different car handling on different types of compounds between Merc and Ferrari.

It seems I'm usually quite correct in my assesments. Don't you guys think. I'm probably right like... most of the times :D

14 April 2018, 15:13 (CEST) - Podium finish for men in red would be nice touch tomorrow, if they can make it. I am not however convinced (yet), that MB is on decline already. First two wins encompassed a lot of superb driving by Vettel, but this was not the sole factor in the game. This weekend Hamilton most likely committed some personal errors, and MB race engineering has to finish job they skipped in Barcelona, when they choose just medium tire as sole medium for contact with cold tarmac. Seb has told them then - in race proper, you need to change tires, so broader knowledge about tire performance was of essence, but did they listen? No, and now we see that it was mistake.

33 minutes ago, Sakae said:

14 April 2018, 15:13 (CEST) - Podium finish for men in red would be nice touch tomorrow, if they can make it. I am not however convinced (yet), that MB is on decline already. First two wins encompassed a lot of superb driving by Vettel, but this was not the sole factor in the game. This weekend Hamilton most likely committed some personal errors, and MB race engineering has to finish job they skipped in Barcelona, when they choose just medium tire as sole medium for contact with cold tarmac. Seb has told them then - in race proper, you need to change tires, so broader knowledge about tire performance was of essence, but did they listen? No, and now we see that it was mistake.

Yes, by decline I mean the dominating force of the pack. They now have competition