Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Wheels

I am  aware that something similar HAS been tried in the old V8 format,  to no avail.
But, is there a FIA directive that declares a F1 car/entry MUST have 4 wheels? As is the current norm.

INCREASING the number of wheels would, INCREASE down force.
Even IF just, "roller" type wheels, on wings/flaps

To clarify.
What IS, is NOT allowed

Currently ALL manufacturers ARE homogeneous

Nobody IS taking chances. goin in a DIFFERENT direction, looking for an advantage

True.

IMO, Nobody really wants to follow the actual rules. Teams only comply to do that for show/cosmetics. What they really are continuously doing behind the scene  is finding the gray areas and looking for ways to get ahead/advantages. IMHO, this is what "Development" means to them.

There is a rule that all cars must have only four wheels....and it has been in place for a while (since at least the 1990s). It came about because engine power was getting so high that the teams were looking at having four wheels in the rear to improve traction. The powers that be (FIA?) decided that they really didn't want 6-wheel cars and they created that rule. At the time, I don't think the teams objected.

Re: There is a rule that all cars must have only four wheels.
>I can appreciate that but, would it be possible to have rollers on wings/flaps?
NOT wheels, per sai 
TIA

4 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Re: There is a rule that all cars must have only four wheels.
>I can appreciate that but, would it be possible to have rollers on wings/flaps?
NOT wheels, per sai 
TIA

Actually I suspect that is banned also, although I don't recall it ever coming up.

6 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

would it be possible to have rollers on wings/flaps?

That would be movable bodywork, wouldn't it? That is not allowed.