Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Race 4 - F1 2018 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

12 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Let me just repeat part of one my previous posts....are we are starting to go in circles on this:

"A do or die move makes sense on the last lap......it does not make sense with three laps to go and when the entire field is sitting right on your tail. It was a mistake."

I don't think that it was a do or die move, he coming up fast against Vottas and Hamilton and Raikkonen were coming even faster to get him (it's the combined slipstream effect), had he lifted and stayed behind Bottas either Hamilton and Raikkonen would have passed him both or one of them would have crashed into him, please consider that in order to stay behind bottas he had to lift on the main straight with 15 odds cars all close behind him, not the wisest thing to do. I'd agree with you if Vettel move was on any other lap, the fact that it was an SC restart IMHO makes all the difference

1 hour ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Vettel had no reference point at that moment, he was travelling much faster than Bottas, had his view partly limited by bottas' car, was travelling at a speed significantly diffetrent from what he was used to at that very point, had his tyres not up to their optimal operating temperature, was off the racing line and had his rear view mirrors full with Hamilton and Raikkonen's cars, and when he moved out of Bottas' tow he got much more downforce to confuse him,and despite all that he missed it by no more than 3 metres

I watched the race from London and at the first SC restart David Coulthard said that very few drivers would try to pass because they had no reference point for the braking. The difference between the first and the second SC restart is that in the 2nd restart the car behind the leader was much closer and in a sense had no other option but to try

Thanks for your explanation... lovely stuff

12 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I don't think that it was a do or die move, he coming up fast against Vottas and Hamilton and Raikkonen were coming even faster to get him (it's the combined slipstream effect), had he lifted and stayed behind Bottas either Hamilton and Raikkonen would have passed him both or one of them would have crashed into him, please consider that in order to stay behind bottas he had to lift on the main straight with 15 odds cars all close behind him, not the wisest thing to do. I'd agree with you if Vettel move was on any other lap, the fact that it was an SC restart IMHO makes all the difference

Well the first part of my statement went:

"I don't object to him trying....but he braked way too late. He needed to get beside Bottas under braking...not in front of him !!! Granted he had cold tires, etc....but he has been racing for a while. He should know by now. He just misjudged the braking and flat spotted his tires.....

21 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well the first part of my statement went:

"I don't object to him trying....but he braked way too late. He needed to get beside Bottas under braking...not in front of him !!! Granted he had cold tires, etc....but he has been racing for a while. He should know by now. He just misjudged the braking and flat spotted his tires.....

Sounds about right to me!