Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

2019 Rule Changes

Minor changes to the rules for 2019:

1.  Fuel allowed to rise from 105kg to 110kg.
  2. Weight of the car to separated from that of the driver. Minimum weight for the driver is set at 80kg. Hmmm.....I might have to go on a diet if I become an F1 driver (it only cost $10-$14 million).
  3. All drivers will wear biometric gloves.
  4. They will make a decision at the end of April about aerodynamics. The goal is more overtaking.
  5. Engine regulations for 2021 are set to be finalized at the end of May.
    1. Use the current 1.6 liter V6 turbo hybrid engine without the MGU-H exhaust energy recovery system.

number 4 is the most tricky part. I hope they can have a better solution rather putting more DRS zones. 

Well, I would prefer lots of passing without the DRS. My solution has always been to simply ban wings (although you may only need to ban front wings).

Exactly what I meant. I am the one of the first hater of DRS here since 4 years ago. 

My hope is to go back to the design when the cars did not have DRS and overtaking is more pure. 

I mean with DRS whoever get overtaken has almost 0 chance in overtaking back. With pure slip streaming, they can battle all day long.

Yea, you really can't get much slipstreaming with wings. If you want to go back to the slipstreaming battles of the 50's and 60's, then you need to ban wings. One of several reasons why I think F1 would be better off without them.

I don't get the biometric gloves rule, are they planning for the drivers to be arrested during the race if they don't comply with the rules? or are they supposing that a driver might want to stop at an ATM and withdraw some cash so that he can take his girlfriend out for a burger after the race?

there is only 1 things that they can to do to improve the racing in 2019, curtail aerodynamics 

Exactly, if they want to put a cap on budgets then why spend money for biometrics BS? I mean do they wanna know when the driver is getting a hard-on or when they wanna poo?

2 minutes ago, radical-one said:

do they wanna know when the driver is getting a hard-on or when they wanna poo?

I hadn't though about that but you make a very good point, maybe they will give that kind of information to spice things up

14 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I hadn't though about that but you make a very good point, maybe they will give that kind of information to spice things up

:lol:

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

I still think it is a waste of money

It will take time for lay public to learn and appreciate significance of data collected in this racing series. Potential impact such research will bear on development and incorporation of future safety devices in commuter road vehicles could be significant IMO.

Potential applications examples: monitoring continuously and detecting pre-condition of impending heart attack while driving. Steering wheel will detect body changes, warn you, and simultaneously takes control over vehicle by signaling to other cars there is emergency slowing down, guiding you safely to stop, whilst sends appropriate warning to the nearest ambulance, etc. That's what I can envision as direction to which technology will lead us. From gloves to the smart steering wheel reading your skin and be you guardian. No more gloves necessary. 

Or, DUI will be obsolete acronym, because driver will not be able to start the car...etc.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

It will take time for lay public to learn and appreciate significance of data collected in this racing series. Potential impact such research will bear on development and incorporation of future safety devices in commuter road vehicles could be significant IMO.

Potential applications examples: monitoring continuously and detecting pre-condition of impending heart attack while driving. Steering wheel will detect body changes, warn you, and simultaneously takes control over vehicle by signaling to other cars there is emergency slowing down, guiding you safely to stop, whilst sends appropriate warning to the nearest ambulance, etc. That's what I can envision as direction to which technology will lead us. From gloves to the smart steering wheel reading your skin and be you guardian. No more gloves necessary. 

Or, DUI will be obsolete acronym, because driver will not be able to start the car...etc.

Yea....not sure what the complaint is about biometrics gloves. It is a pretty damn interesting research project.

<<Or, DUI will be obsolete acronym, because driver will not be able to start the car...etc.>>

Now, if we could also get it to stop people from texting and using their phones while driving........

On 4/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ruslan said:

Now, if we could also get it to stop people from texting and using their phones while driving........

Add being busy with face make up in rear mirror while driving. Unfortunately there are no pills (yet) on the market to cure human mindlessness. We are a few years away from capuring, and categorizing brain signals which could be converted as self defense mechanism into specific, actionable management of devices we use. 

Well, I think the cure is self-driving cars. Even with the high profiles failures of Uber in Phoenix and of Tesla....I suspect self-driving cars are already safer than human driven cars, although I have not checked the statistics. I believe that safety has declined in the last couple of years due to increase cell phone use while driving, and I believe the U.S. mortality statistics show this. At this point, I would trust a computer over the average distracted multi-tasking driver.

I belong to a group that believes there is no a such thing as a human capable of multitasking, whereas some others still continue support that myth. What is generally termed as multitasking is in reality neuron based system management of a switching process between various tasks in rapid succession, sometimes back and forth, nevertheless one activity at the time without us actually realizing it. A cook stirring soup while talking on the phone is no exception. Zen teachings - much older than modern neuroscience - had told us that a human is capable only one single thought at any given instance. Maybe one day we will learn different, however for now I am sticking with my believe.

In terms of self-driving vehicles - I am not sure that I readily agree with you. Maybe in highly populated areas a car can be controlled by guiding grid, however I am having my doubts about future existence of reliable global supporting infrastructure for driverless vehicles. Based on my experience with the roads I say it will be a while before I will trust a car to take me from a point A to B while I am napping on the back seat. 

The research aspiring to understand brain function reliably enough to control various devices subconsciously should continue IMO. "Smart" gloves is only one of many small steps in that aim. After all, from what was revealed, it is probably only passive (one-directional) MO for collecting data and transmitting those back to the data acquisition unit. 

Well, Tesla' does have self-driving vehicles....and some of the users have been letting them do all the driving. The one that made the news was when the owner died because the Tesla failed to recognize the tractor trailer in front of it as an obstacle. A little software recognition problem. In Phoenix, Uber was doing a test operation using self-driving vehicles and one ran over a pedestrian who was not in a cross walk. They have stopped that experiment for now. But.....the future is now, as they like to say. I haven't collected the stats for how many hours Tesla and Uber has driven vice how many accidents they have had; and then compared that to human operated cars. But, if they are not already better than the average human, then they will be in the near future.

Well, Tesla is not alone. With changes in political world, world turned to China more expediently than before. 

E-mobility and autonomous driving offer Beijing an opportunity to become the global leader as technology dictates standards. (By Handelsblatt Staff)

More here.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/04/fuel-level-rise-will-not-guarantee-flat-out-racing-in-2019-magnussen/

Magnussen is quoted on saying that 100 kg fuel will not even be necessary on some tracks. I wonder if that is right. PUs might be redesigned for 2019 to take advantage of more fuel. HIgher revs is one possibility I guess.

On 21/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, Sakae said:

I remember years ago when touring car racing was popular and televised they came up with the idea of showing in real time the heart beat of a driver (I think that it was Antonio Tamburini driving one of the works Alfa 155s), it was so exciting and so useful that they dropped it after a couple of races. I mean it's rather obvious that at the start the heart beat goes up, same as when you're in a dice

14 hours ago, Sakae said:

I aggree with you on the multitasking thing. We are bad at paying attention to more than 2-3 assignments at once. But the brain as such is great on multitasking. It regulates your blood pressure, your metabolism, your desires, your hormonal levels, your level of awakeness, keeps you in balance while you move, predict what will happen next and prepares muscles,and nervecells for adequate reactions and work, and probably solves thousands of other biological mechanisms in you while you're busy pondering on what color of shirt to wear.

Zen teachings - much older than modern neuroscience - had told us that a human is capable only one single thought at any given instance.

Moderns brain scienctists believe we can be focused on a maximum of 2-3 things simultaniously.

And I think Ruslan is right that self-driving cars are probably safer today than other cars. On of the aspects that slow the introduction of self driving vehicles is that the responsibility for accidents lies with the compagny and not the driver. If a person for some reason drives through a school yard and kills somebody, that's horrible. But if a self-driving car does that, that's a compagny out of business.

I've dealt with machines whole my life, and my trust in human ability and creative mind to do right thing when necessary and beating AI based systems remains intact. Besides, machines do break down, and they have habit to do so in most inopportune moments. It affects my thinking about them. 

I lived ten years in Africa, travelled intensively through some interesting places, and boy, was I happy to hold a steering wheel, rather than doing the same in Uber. Trust me on that one.

8 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/04/fuel-level-rise-will-not-guarantee-flat-out-racing-in-2019-magnussen/

Magnussen is quoted on saying that 100 kg fuel will not even be necessary on some tracks. I wonder if that is right. PUs might be redesigned for 2019 to take advantage of more fuel. HIgher revs is one possibility I guess.

I think revs are still limited...and will be in 2019. So more fuel is just more fuel. It is possible to have too much as the fuel flow rate is metered and the engine revs are limited. I think the reason they wanted more fuel was to not have people doing economy runs on some tracks.

9 hours ago, Robert Rick said:

And I think Ruslan is right that self-driving cars are probably safer today than other cars. On of the aspects that slow the introduction of self driving vehicles is that the responsibility for accidents lies with the compagny and not the driver. If a person for some reason drives through a school yard and kills somebody, that's horrible. But if a self-driving car does that, that's a compagny out of business.

Was taking a look at it last night. Going to post some stats on a separate thread in the Café.....as this is really not an F1 subject (yet).

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

I've dealt with machines whole my life, and my trust in human ability.....

Well, I've dealt with humans my whole life....and my trust in human ability is something less than 100%...to be polite.