Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Most boring race ever

Fernando Alonso believes fans should be refunded after 'the most boring race ever' in Monaco,
in which Daniel Ricciardo led from the front and, other than Max Verstappen's... 

IF Alonso felt so strongly about it. He would REFUND HIS pay for the race !!

Well, I once watched an Indy Car race at Riverside once that was running in 100 degree heat. They had so many cars drop out that the race was reduced to four cars in the end...each on a different lap !!! Furthermore, to save the engines, they had reduced the top speed down to the Riverside straight to like 150 MPH.

Anyhow, hope the changes for 2019 in aerodynamics do all that they hope to do. I would be tempted to ban all wing-like devices and winglets in front of the rear axle.

Why watch the race, and continue to waste your time, for those who find it so damn boring?  

ALONSO: PROBABLY THE MOST BORING RACE EVER

HAMILTON: WE WERE CRUISING NOT RACING FROM LAP SIX.  Literally cruising. So it wasn’t really racing.

It may have been boring for drivers like Lewis and Fernando, which I have no doubt. But, to the fans of drivers like Ricciardo and Vettel, especially after Daniel complained of a loss in engine power. Boredom was the last thing on their minds, and for many others. 

5 hours ago, radical-one said:

Exactly my point.

Plus Monaco has been like that forever why didn't they notice it before?

2 June 2018, 10:18 (CEST)

They have. Overtaking topic - especially in Monaco - has been discussed here for decades, however very little has been done about it. Track topography remains essentially the same, however development of cars has not. Put it differently, I think even if we would have 20 exact copies of RB14 this year on the grid, overtaking would remain an issue. Cars cannot follow each other in close proximity for couple of reasons (aero, tires).

I think there is a technical solution without necessity to cancel the race, however I doubt that it is a simple one.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

2 June 2018, 10:18 (CEST)

They have. Overtaking topic - especially in Monaco - has been discussed here for decades, however very little has been done about it. Track topography remains essentially the same, however development of cars has not. Put it differently, I think even if we would have 20 exact copies of RB14 this year on the grid, overtaking would remain an issue. Cars cannot follow each other in close proximity for couple of reasons (aero, tires).

I think there is a technical solution without necessity to cancel the race, however I doubt that it is a simple one.

Perhaps similar scenario for Singapore

On 5/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, Ruslan said:

Well, I once watched an Indy Car race at Riverside once that was running in 100 degree heat. They had so many cars drop out that the race was reduced to four cars in the end...each on a different lap !!! Furthermore, to save the engines, they had reduced the top speed down to the Riverside straight to like 150 MPH.

Anyhow, hope the changes for 2019 in aerodynamics do all that they hope to do. I would be tempted to ban all wing-like devices and winglets in front of the rear axle.

Yeah, though second place Sneva was on the same lap as winner Mears in that one (just 66 seconds back ;)).  Alonso needs to cut the hyperbole.  Most races in motorsports history have actually been really dull.  "Exciting" races are more common now, but it still hasn't undone how truly awful most races were from the start of racing until the late 80s.  The only excitement you ever had was if the car leading happened to be the one that failed.

Well, Sneva may have been on the same lap (or worked back up to it).....but......he was no competition. They were all short shifting like crazy down the main straight to preserve their engines. It was the most extreme cruise to the end of a race I have ever seen. Of course, being the dedicate fan that I was at the time, I sat there in the 100+ degree heat to watch the whole thing.