Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rumblestrip

Has anyone in the US figured out how to watch F1 yet?

I don't know what's going on this year. Ever since the change to ESPN, I can't seem to consistently record F1 coverage. I always seem to get free practice, but I either miss the race or qualifying.  I missed Monaco today, even though it was set to record on all channels. It's really annoying. So far Spain is the only race I've caught all of.

Is anyone else having this problem?

No. I watched in at 9 this morning and it was shown on two other times later today. I think it is also on tomorrow. I suspect it depends on where you are at and who your service provider is. On the other hand....watching the race may not have been the best use of two hours. I watched it with a friend, so we had lots to talk about.

We are both still missing Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Will Buxton. The new Sky Sports coverage is not bad (the graphics are great), but the old commentators were much better.

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

On the other hand....watching the race may not have been the best use of two hours. I watched it with a friend, so we had lots to talk about.

Hahaha! Oh dear!

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

We are both still missing Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Will Buxton. The new Sky Sports coverage is not bad (the graphics are great), but the old commentators were much better.

Yeah! I've literally had Hobbs as my F1 commentator since the 80s! He used to be with Bob Varsha and Peter Windsor back then. They were always familiar voices. I guess the new deal probably saves them money or something.

Anyway, I changed my recording setup to catch repeats, and I think it caught the race last night. We'll see how that works. Thanks!

10 hours ago, rumblestrip said:

Hahaha! Oh dear!

Yeah! I've literally had Hobbs as my F1 commentator since the 80s! He used to be with Bob Varsha and Peter Windsor back then. They were always familiar voices. I guess the new deal probably saves them money or something.

Anyway, I changed my recording setup to catch repeats, and I think it caught the race last night. We'll see how that works. Thanks!

Hell, I watched Hobbs and Willy T. Ribbs racing Trans-Am at Riverside back in the 1980s. We have met Bob Varsha over at the Canadian GP. Good guy.

Anyhow, I think Hobbs, Matchett and Will Buxton made up about as good of a commentary team as I have ever seen, each bringing a very different set of experiences to the table. I miss them every single race.

Relieved to be free from Leigh Diffey and Will Buxton, personally.  Both were big ego a##holes who contributed little but loud noises.  I hate that my beloved IndyCar is moving exclusively to NBC, so much so that I'll start attending the 500 at a great cost to never hear Diffey call the race I love most.  David Hobbs and Steve Matchett were great for a while, but both way past it by 2017.  Bob Varsha, too, has been awful in recent years when he's filled in for Diffey.  Unfortunately, people get old.  And, having spoken to Bob, I can tell you that "good guy" was your impression, but not mine.  Maybe he was having an off-day or just didn't like me.  Fair enough; I don't like myself, either!

Also relieved to be free from ad breaks.  And, for Spain and Monaco, every single session was on real TV—NBC never once did that (ESPN usually streams one practice session, but has been adding them all to TV.  Monaco was even on real ESPN and ESPN2 rather than ESPNEWS).

The ESPN coverage has ads on the encore presentations, though, so if you record those, you miss out.

Anyway, I'll try to post the full ESPN F1 TV schedule with all sessions (did you know Formula 2 airs live on WatchESPN—even practice and qualifying?) and all encore presentations if that would help you synchronize your recordings.  Not sure why your DVR isn't picking up the telecasts because ESPN isn't changing the start times or anything.  They all air when the schedule says.  They must be called something different in the guide from your cable provider.

As promised, the schedule.  Note that the race will not air on the NYC or Corpus Christi ABC affiliates.  Check your local situation.

All times Eastern.  All events stream live on the ESPN app.  The race may also stream live on WatchABC if your affiliate participates.  All events are available for replay at any time on the ESPN app.

Friday, June 8th

FP1, 9:55 AM on ESPNU

FP2, 1:55 PM on ESPNU

Saturday, June 9th

FP3, 10:55 AM on ESPN2

Qualifying, 1:55 PM on ESPNEWS

Sunday, June 10th

"On The Grid" pre-race show, 1:30 PM, ABC

Race, 2:00 PM, ABC

Encore presentation of race, 9:00 PM, ESPNEWS

Monday, June 11th

Encore presentation of race, 3:30 AM, ESPN2

Note that encore presentations have ad breaks; the live race on ABC will not.

Shouldn't be too hard to synchronize your DVR to this well-publicized schedule of ESPN's unprecedented, comprehensive coverage of F1.

Thanks for schedule.

I do have to disagree with you about Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton. Diffey is kind of invisible to me.

I always liked Buxton's grid walk. After watching Brundle, who is not bad, I realized just how good Buxton was.

I have kind of quit following Indy Car. I used to be a big CART fan, but it is not the same series as it used to be.