Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Race 9 - F1 2018 GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH

30 June 2018, 09:16 (CEST)

MB appears to be winning development race at this stage of racing season. I feared it will fall on our collective heads in September, but it came sooner. MB is the best car, at least IMO - for now.

These three successive race weekends seems to me was really not well thought out logistical issue. Tiredness in pits undoubtedly settles in, and it is going to be ultimately survival of the fittest (if not luckiest), because people usually know how to attach a wheel during pitstop, however if driver leaves with job half done, potentially race, money, fame, etc. washes down into a drain. 

30 June 2018, 12:43 (CEST) Unconfirmed

Charles Leclerc to Ferrari..? (EUR 5MM)

Maybe next year, maybe before this season ends. If so, I wonder if media "knew" about this plan before Kimi had, because even this week Thursday he has denied any big news regarding his future. After so many years I would have rather expected different response from him, had he known about it. 

30 June 2018, 16:56 (CEST)

Ferrari on second row, no surprises there. Bottas is driving well. There is very little need (if any at all) to have him replaced.

DR is usually making big statements when media are paying attention, however on the track, slotting behind Grosjean in the Haas is probably not best way to claim role of a lead driver in the RBR team.

McLaren presents one pitiful picture.

Williams -- oh well -- we know. Departure of Symonds was probably the last nail.

Sirotkin, Eriksson, Hartley ...  race after race scraping bottom. Why even bother? 

Sebastian Vettel has been handed a three-place penalty by the stewards for not seeing Carlos Sainz (in Q2) while the latter was on his hot lap, which now means Vettel will start in sixth place, behind Haas F1's Romain Grosjean.

Debatable; ffs it was Q2 -- Sainz -- with nothing to gain...so, they screw Vettel in the race. I do not know about this, but Hamilton is getting a lot of help from outside. I am usually against drastic measures, but in this case Ferrari should suggest they will boycott the race in protest.

FiA in addition to pushing him back on the grid, they added 3 penalty points to his rap sheet.

To say I am furious, is understatement. FFS Vettel didn't kill anyone, he was on his slow down lap. Last year when Hamilton blocked Renault in similar situation, nothing of course happened to him.

54 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Debatable; ffs it was Q2 -- Sainz -- with nothing to gain...so, they screw Vettel in the race. I do not know about this, but Hamilton is getting a lot of help from outside. I am usually against drastic measures, but in this case Ferrari should suggest they will boycott the race in protest.

FiA in addition to pushing him back on the grid, they added 3 penalty points to his rap sheet.

To say I am furious, is understatement. FFS Vettel didn't kill anyone, he was on his slow down lap. Last year when Hamilton blocked Renault in similar situation, nothing of course happened to him.

It looks like they responded to the uproar from anti-Vettel fans again, apparently the 5second penalty was too lenient in France.

No one mentioned Vettel being boxed in by the Merc drivers, and Bottas with his lack of spatial awareness turning into Vettel in the corner. He did that same s##t against Kimi Azerbaijan Baku. Bottas needs a serious headcheck and needs to be assessed

27 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

It looks like they responded to the uproar from anti-Vettel fans again, apparently the 5second penalty was too lenient in France.

No one mentioned Vettel being boxed in by the Merc drivers, and Bottas with his lack of spatial awareness turning into Vettel in the corner. He did that same s##t against Kimi Azerbaijan Baku. Bottas needs a serious headcheck and needs to be assessed

30 June 2018, 20:13 (CEST)

Is it just me, or any reasonable person must admit that incident - basically misunderstanding in Q2 - was rather harshly evaluated? Sainz secured P9, so no damage done other than new wing. FiA basically put Ferrari and Vettel into precarious position. Punishment is however for him driving slow on a racing line, so they stated (I did not bother to read the document). Then if the 3 places wasn't enough, they awarded him demerit points, risking race exclusion down the road. I am failing to recall when, if anyone in recent memory was treated so shabbily.

33 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Is it just me, or any reasonable person must admit that incident - basically misunderstanding in Q2 - was rather harshly evaluated? Sainz secured P9, so no damage done other than new wing. FiA basically put Ferrari and Vettel into precarious position. Punishment is however for him driving slow on a racing line, so they stated (I did not bother to read the document). Then if the 3 places wasn't enough, they awarded him demerit points, risking race exclusion down the road. I am failing to recall when, if anyone in recent memory was treated so shabbily.

In agreement...

But not only that, it's true what Vettel stated in defence. How the hell was he suppose to notice the driver in that particular corner. It's obvious he could'nt notice the driver from behind.

And why should he hold up a driver and risk being demoted after losing championship lead prevoous race

There is currently political tension between Austria and Germany, and I am hoping that has nothing to do with this kind of "stewarding", because standing on its own, the verdict has strong stench. Vettel didn't gain anything of it, Sainz did not loose anything of it, and in tight championship battle as it is, this way destroy Vettel's race is not only totally senseless, but also massively vindictive.

No penalty here:

https://streamable.com/gqbcv

20 hours ago, Sakae said:

****ing poetic justice I say!!!!

We need more of these Merc meltdowns

Here Andretti on Vettel penalty

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/644002/Andretti_slams_Austria_stewards_for_Vettel_penalty/

46 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Hey... how was that Vettel overtake on Hamilton. CLASSIC!

it was close, but apparently without contact. (Video in comments) 16:03

Enlarge

sunpic27.jpg

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

****ing poetic justice I say!!!!

We need more of these Merc meltdowns

Here Andretti on Vettel penalty

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/644002/Andretti_slams_Austria_stewards_for_Vettel_penalty/

I've seen this, however I am not as much into "special treatment" of contenders, as opposing frivolous treatment.

One British steward claimed they had reviewed all such incidents since 2016 before they rendered decision on Vettel. Makes me wonder then how did he missed this one (Vettel on planned hot lap, he encountered interference, and no one got ANY penalty). In contrast Vettel got two penalties this weekend in Q2 ffs, and for what? 

Hamilton escaped last year without any penalty in much more obvious interference. He has merely declared there was no interference in his opinion. Case closed.

There is no consistency in judging races just alternative realities. It is age old problem when Vettel is involved. 

https://streamable.com/gqbcv

Stroll and Sirotkin were the only two drivers crossing Finish line, albeit 2 laps down, whilst powered by Mercedes PU.  Legitimate question to ask, why is Williams staying only to be shamed all year around?

LeClerc continuse to impress in Sauber, despite that I am experiencing difficulties with describing anyone's good fortunes, and finishing race a lap down behind leaders. Lets hope this race will be eye opener for people who can do something about it, and I am not talking about imposing nonsensical budgets. Rules need to change.

Jul.2 (GMM) Mercedes' chief strategist will keep his job after a serious blunder during the Austrian grand prix.

Strategy, strategy, strategy...

How often we have seen headlines this year when a race was lost or won due to team's strategy? Interesting? Perhaps, sometimes, and to very small extend. I do hate it. Maybe I belong to dying breed of F1 old-timers, who still believe that race should be won by superior driver's skills in a reasonably competitive car. In my mind superior MB PU, and/or Newey's skills in aerodynamics are both -- extremes -- detrimental to competitive racing. Rule books have to change restraining both such cases, and allows anyone to produce the same as Newey, or AMG power plant can do. Budget will not do it (budget doesn't yields ideas), however simpler construction, easily comprehensible rule book will be hopefully way to go.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Stroll and Sirotkin were the only two drivers crossing Finish line, albeit 2 laps down, whilst powered by Mercedes PU.  Legitimate question to ask, why is Williams staying only to be shamed all year around?

LeClerc continuse to impress in Sauber, despite that I am experiencing difficulties with describing anyone's good fortunes, and finishing race a lap down behind leaders. Lets hope this race will be eye opener for people who can do something about it, and I am not talking about imposing nonsensical budgets. Rules need to change.

Williams is probably just missing a frontline driver... but 2 laps down for both cars are HECTIC! My guess is there is'nt constructive feedback for engineers and designers to work from. Also, don't know how they fare in the latter departments. I read they fired a South African aerodynamicist, if I can remember correctly

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Strategy, strategy, strategy...

How often we have seen headlines this year when a race was lost or won due to team's strategy? Interesting? Perhaps, sometimes, and to very small extend. I do hate it. Maybe I belong to dying breed of F1 old-timers, who still believe that race should be won by superior driver's skills in a reasonably competitive car. In my mind superior MB PU, and/or Newey's skills in aerodynamics are both -- extremes -- detrimental to competitive racing. Rule books have to change restraining both such cases, and allows anyone to produce the same as Newey, or AMG power plant can do. Budget will not do it (budget doesn't yields ideas), however simpler construction, easily comprehensible rule book will be hopefully way to go.

I don't mind strategy, imagine results without it in this hybrid era of Merc domination. I agree with your point of superior driver in a reasonable competive car making THE DIFFERENCE. I think Vettel will win every race though, just my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I don't mind strategy, imagine results without it in this hybrid era of Merc domination. I agree with your point of superior driver in a reasonable competitive car making THE DIFFERENCE. I think Vettel will win every race though, just my humble opinion.

I've read recently in-depth private analysis of current drivers which are promoted in media, and it was concluded that it is actually Vettel, who is the best overtaker with the equipment he has. It could come surprise to some people. The thing is, he is always on the edge, and sometimes taking such risk often ends up with him crossing the line. (People call it error.)

Take him and Hamilton trading blows in the last race, which ended up with close racing; first Hamilton pushed him into curb, and Seb returned favor without delay, yet there was no collision. Imagine Verstappen in similar situation...

Strategy in play is fine (couple of times a year for my liking), but if it comes to that a race after race, then I think we are on a wrong path. I do not want boys behind computers at the back of garage, or tacticians on a pit-wall to win a race as substitute for a driver performing on track. It should be the true blue WDC.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:17 PM, BradSpeedMan said:

Hey... how was that Vettel overtake on Hamilton. CLASSIC!

it was great but I thought that they going to punish him for this, it wasn't very different from Rosberg's move on Hamilton from a few years ago and Rosberg was punished (IMHO unreasonably)

1 hour ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

it was great but I thought that they going to punish him for this, it wasn't very different from Rosberg's move on Hamilton from a few years ago and Rosberg was punished (IMHO unreasonably)

Ah. Good to see you Publius!!. Can't remember the move unfortunately

Mind boggling why Vettel was penalized then in Austria if it was nothing (per Sainz)?

Vettel would have preferred to have done better simply by starting higher on the grid, but he was penalised three grid places for blocking Carlos Sainz in qualifying.

"Oh, I could talk about it for a long time," the German driver said.

"Even Sainz said it was nothing. Ok some complained, but complaining is not motor racing. We should let the drivers sort it out between us."

32 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Mind boggling why Vettel was penalized then in Austria if it was nothing (per Sainz)?

Hint: i've checked.... A look at the stewards will tell u why

45 minutes ago, Sakae said:

to spice things up? I really don't know, in fairness I see no reason for that penalty provided that according to the stewards Vettel could not see Sainz from his mirrors. On Sky Italy they said that the stewards had been criticized for how lenient a penalty they imposed on Vettel in France for the accident with Bottas (which in my book was a straightforward racing accident, even though I think that Vettel was at fault when he hit Grosjean on the first lap) and so they very likely "reviewed" their earlier decision in this way.

I'm not surprised by this, you all know that my view on stewardship in F1 is that they're a bunch of amateurs (and sometimes I question their integrity)