Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2019 Silly season

2019 looks wild.

• Vettel (Ferrari)
  • Hamilton (?)
  • Raikkonen (?)
  • Ricciardo (?)
  • Bottas (?)
  • Verstappen (RBR)
  • Alonso (?)
  • Ocon (probably Renault)
  • Grosjean (I feel sorry for him, but probably out of the job)
  • Hartley (probably out of the job)
  • Vandoorne (?)
  • Leclerc (probably Haas or Renault)

There could be more people on the go.

I don't know whats wrong with Grosjean. I think he's a better driver than what he's been displaying.  A real shame, as he's costing his team. Mind you, he was prone to an odd accident now and then when he started his F1 career. Gave Kimi quite a bit of a challenge sometimes when at Renault. He's got speed, I think its mental

21 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Hope Kimster stays another year. 

From all I've ever read on this subject over past several years, I am convinced that it will not be Vettel who decides who is his teammate. Even today people on various websites insist that he weighs on that decision and rejecting DR from fear of being defeated. The same people however do not bother to explain, how come that Ferrari was willing to match him against MV, and it was only RB management who put brakes on that initiative and did not released Max.

If Vettel objected to fast teammate, and we do not know what he said, than it did not matter, SM went ahead and was ready to bring Vertsappen whether Seb liked or not.

I think with DR it is the same, he would be hired however apparently SM seems not much interested in him. Beats me why. We could speculate, but there is no point or money in that.

Apart from the engineering side, I think Kimi and Vettel drives the team forward with great constructive feedback. The harmony is working well, and it's reflected in the points, especially constructers. Just my take

No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – McLaren

There are some variants on the table.

1. Kimi wants to continue? Could be, but that would be with Ferrari, if the seat is available.

2. Ferrari wants to replace him? Hard to say, but they might want to retain Kimi for another year until Leclerc is ready to jump in. Ari likes Kimi.

3. Alonso leaves. Who knows?

4. Stoffel Vandoorne is leaving? Not if  Anna de Ferran has anything to say about it. She just needs to stamp her foot, papa melts down, and boyfriend will get new lease on life.

37 minutes ago, Sakae said:

There are some variants on the table.

1. Kimi wants to continue? Could be, but that would be with Ferrari, if the seat is available.

2. Ferrari wants to replace him? Hard to say, but they might want to retain Kimi for another year until Leclerc is ready to jump in. Ari likes Kimi.

3. Alonso leaves. Who knows?

4. Stoffel Vandoorne is leaving? Not if  Anna de Ferran has anything to say about it. She just needs to stamp her foot, papa melts down, and boyfriend will get new lease on life.

Lol. I would like to see kimi in the Mclaren. Alonso should just retire although i like to see him in a top car one more year. But thats not going to be the case. Kimi and Vandoorne should partner. That would be good for mclaren. Kimi wont have much speed like he used to have but Mclaren wont have the pressure of handling alonso and just do the job to improve the car.

As for ferrari s other seat, perez or hulk(i wish) till leclerc drives for sauber one more year. 

We are missing clarity on what existential choices Ferrari will favor after 2020, namely, whether they stay, or leave the F1. It is possible, in speculative terms of course, that choice of drivers for next two years will be affected by that vision.

Should they decide to stay, it will be up to Leclerc and others to influence compass needle in their favor and cary Vettel's mantle for the team into future, or fall into a subordinate role only. Leclerc -- at the moment -- seems a logical student in the second seat, and once Seb hangs his helmet, Charles can continue. It is however going to be mammoth of a task. Seb has good 7 to 9 years of racing in him (should he want to stay as long), however I think after about 5 years with one team, they may want to replace him just like we do with old furniture.   

There could be a story developing behind scenes. I have nothing concrete, just common sense, that papa Stroll must be hopping mad over what his money bought him. Anybody who is somebody must have his phone screaming for attention having one mad Canadian on the other line. I can't see Stroll telling his friends at home where he spends his loonies, namely, parking at the end of line. 

Names -- and seats that might be available -- like Hartley, Grosjean, Sainz, and perhaps some others must be his target. I am not sure what chances he has to move on, but we will see. I would however advise him to go home, and gift his bucks to charities instead. Lowe meanwhile was photographed already at least once with the senior, and reading his face, it was not a simple chat they had. Lowe's face was far too red for that.

14 July 2018, 09:03 (CEST) - How really one can tell how good is a driver which you want to hire? Subject is a perpetual topic among fans and teams alike. Some fans insist the only way to compare drivers to teammates. I reject such proposition as being overly simplistic to almost irrelevancy.

If it was so simple, team managers would simply check statistics, and choose a driver with more points, job done and lets go for a drink.

Take it easy.

RBR management is ready to let DC go, if he chooses so, yet they will keep Verstappen, a driver currently with less points compare to his teammate. Ferrari went after Vettel in 2014, despite all his misfortunes (similar to Verstappen today), and despite DR on the paper looked as a better bet. 

Two cars from engineering point of view are never the same, to begin with, contrary to popular believe. From manufacturing and assembly variances, to setup and design, which almost always favors one driver's racing style, to the detriment to his team-mate, seldom it suits both drivers. Example we have right before our eyes in Ferrari. Design which suited to Alonso was pretty much handicap for Raikonnen. Today Vettel and his teammate are as one with design they have. Surely it is one of factors why both drivers still have job there. 

I think a team which is hiring has criteria which extend beyond blimps up or down. I would look for mental stability in crisis, trail of overtakes, feedback to engineers in debriefing, acting as a representative of a team on world stage, etc. It is totality who driver is, not just how many points he has on his score sheet.

This is not first time I've felt to rumble on a beautiful morning, and my arguments didn't convinced anyone as far as I can see. There are still claims - to be somebody, you need to beat your teammate. Maybe, I say, it could help, but it may not guarantee that you are a better racer. As an isolated point, it is good argument for a junior high school graduate, but not sufficient and adequate for a thinking man.

GP247:

2018 Formula 1 Drivers Salaries

Drivers Annual Salary F1 Team Duration
Sebastian Vettel $60-million Scuderia Ferrari End-2020
Lewis Hamilton $50-million Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport End-2018
Kimi Räikkönen $40-million Scuderia Ferrari End-2018
Fernando Alonso $30-million McLaren F1 Team End-2018
Valtteri Bottas $12-million Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport End-2018
Max Verstappen $10-million Aston Martin Red Bull Racing End-2020
Stoffel Vandoorne $7-million McLaren F1 Team End-2019
Daniel Ricciardo $6-million Aston Martin Red Bull Racing End-2018
Nico Hülkenberg $5.5-million Renault Sport Formula One Team End-2019
Sergio Pérez $5-million Sahara Force India End-2018
Romain Grosjean $4.45-million Haas F1 Team End-2018
Esteban Ocon $3-million Sahara Force India End-2018
Kevin Magnussen $2.5-million Haas F1 Team End-2018
Lance Stroll $1.8-million Williams Martini Racing End-2018
Carlos Sainz Jr $750,000 Renault Sport Formula One Team End-2018
Marcus Ericsson  $500,000 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team End-2018
Pierre Gasly $400,000 Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda Ongoing
Brendon Hartley $350,000 Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda End-2018
Sergey Sirotkin $200,000 Williams Martini Racing End-2018
Marcus Ericsson $185,000 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team End-2018
Charles Leclerc $150,000 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team Ongoing

This list will of course change next year.

On 14/07/2018 at 9:18 AM, Sakae said:

14 July 2018, 09:03 (CEST) - How really one can tell how good is a driver which you want to hire? Subject is a perpetual topic among fans and teams alike. Some fans insist the only way to compare drivers to teammates. I reject such proposition as being overly simplistic to almost irrelevancy.

If it was so simple, team managers would simply check statistics, and choose a driver with more points, job done and lets go for a drink.

Take it easy.

RBR management is ready to let DC go, if he chooses so, yet they will keep Verstappen, a driver currently with less points compare to his teammate. Ferrari went after Vettel in 2014, despite all his misfortunes (similar to Verstappen today), and despite DC on the paper looked as a better bet. 

Two cars from engineering point of view are never the same, to begin with, contrary to popular believe. From manufacturing and assembly variances, to setup and design, which almost always favors one driver's racing style, to the detriment to his team-mate, seldom it suits both drivers. Example we have right before our eyes in Ferrari. Design which suited to Alonso was pretty much handicap for Raikonnen. Today Vettel and his teammate are as one with design they have. Surely it is one of factors why both drivers still have job there. 

I think a team which is hiring has criteria which extend beyond blimps up or down. I would look for mental stability in crisis, trail of overtakes, feedback to engineers in debriefing, acting as a representative of a team on world stage, etc. It is totality who driver is, not just how many points he has on his score sheet.

This is not first time I've felt to rumble on a beautiful morning, and my arguments didn't convinced anyone as far as I can see. There are still claims - to be somebody, you need to beat your teammate. Maybe, I say, it could help, but it may not guarantee that you are a better racer. As an isolated point, it is good argument for a junior high school graduate, but not sufficient and adequate for a thinking man.

Has been like that since start of his career. Not to mention the sacking of Trulli by Flavio when he started to get the better of St.Alfonso at Renault. With his political manouverings he always gets the car to his liking, to detriment if the other driver.

I read a post from Rosberg about a month ago that states top teams are too scared to take him on for exact reason. That confirmed what I've been saying for years.

Please do keep rumbling on, very much enjoyed reading this post

Why would Kimi leave, should he continue as good as he is right now. His foes might wish for that, but under more friendly assessment he is doing well. Ferrari has if not the same, than stronger pairing of drivers than one in MB stable. 

Leclerc might not be ready as yet for Maranello. His premature move may pose a risk.

Playing Ari:

1. Is Ferrari staying beyond 2020?

2. If so, what's the long term plan with drivers? Leclerc one season with FI perhaps, and then with Ferrari..?

Kimi Raikkonen admits that it is “up to the team” whether he stays next year. Strong speculation suggests Charles Leclerc has already been signed up until 2020. In turn, the Swiss newspaper Blick reports that Raikkonen could return to Sauber, where 17 years ago he started his career.

But Ferrari insider Leo Turrini thinks Raikkonen should stay. “We have Ferrari’s best duo for over 25 years,” he told Sky Italia. “We also have a car that is still developing and a team that works brilliantly together.”

f1insider.com

I think so too, why spoil a good thing? It's not like Kimster is NOT performing. And he's very good in car development

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Kimi Raikkonen admits that it is “up to the team” whether he stays next year. Strong speculation suggests Charles Leclerc has already been signed up until 2020. In turn, the Swiss newspaper Blick reports that Raikkonen could return to Sauber, where 17 years ago he started his career.

But Ferrari insider Leo Turrini thinks Raikkonen should stay. “We have Ferrari’s best duo for over 25 years,” he told Sky Italia. “We also have a car that is still developing and a team that works brilliantly together.”

f1insider.com

I think so too, why spoil a good thing? It's not like Kimster is NOT performing. And he's very good in car development

We used to say - why fix it if it is not broken? :P 

Sauber is testing new blood in FP1. I am not sure how to connect dots.

18 July 2018, 07:28 (CEST) It occurred to me that Sauber might field next season two new drivers. I can imagine that is not what a team usually wants, but in this case it could happen by virtue Leclerc moving up, and Ericsson potentially out. I can also imagine that Vasseur's patience must be slowly oozing out with this driver.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

18 July 2018, 07:28 (CEST) It occurred to me that Sauber might field next season two new drivers. I can imagine that is not what a team usually wants, but in this case it could happen by virtue Leclerc moving up, and Ericsson potentially out. I can also imagine that Vasseur's patience must be slowly oozing out with this driver.

How much money does Ericsson bring to to team? Maybe it's as simple as that

18 July 2018, 14:30 (CEST)  Well, yes and no. Ericsson initially - immensely wealthy individual himself - was in the middle of ownership type changes at Sauber, especially because of his family links to some very wealthy individuals (billionaires).

However today Longbow whilst owns the team is in a role that differentiates them from a simple driver's sponsor (such as Alonso's sponsor Santander). Financial company is naturally performance oriented, and if my memory serves me, when Vasseur accepted his current role, he laid some conditions in his contract last year that Swede's seat is link to his performance, rather than who he is. There was of course a lot of secrecy about it, however bottom line what I got out of it, Ericsson must prove himself to have a drive in the future. 

It has occurred to me that Sauber might be financially more secured today than many of their peers on the grid.