Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Brexit

Normally topic would be political issue and perhaps outside of the sport, however as it is, this is probably very much a subject of interest to all fans of the F1.

We have about 50-something days to a day, when GB might be on their own, severing cord, and as it is, realistically without any agreement of any kind with EU.

What could follow day after is not entirely clear, but experts on aviation issued warning, that there will not be any commuting, or transport of goods via air between island and continental Europe.

To be perfectly frank, I am lost about situation how EU bound personnel would travel effectively. Private planes, or by boats...? I am probably not the first guy who is thinking about this, but cost effective solutions are escaping me. Sauber, TR, and Ferrari are home teams, and they have only Siverstone to think about. Mercedes, Renault, RBR will require British working permits for all their foreign workers. This is probably easier to be said than done. Perusing British media, one can read really horror stories about that process.

Something else - will be all Brits kicked out from FiA's offices in Paris? Or this one - if Verstappen gets hauled on the red carpet into FiA's office, will he leave RBR offices and swim, or he will need to hire a chartered plane to get him over La Manche? Renault will need to haul some materials on the long distances. Paris, Edinburg, wherever..? Ouch. Sounds messy and complicated.

Let's get a grip!

Both the FIA and F1 have existed long before the EU.

As far as F1 is concerned - Brexit will have very little effect (if any).

17 minutes ago, DPR said:

Let's get a grip!

Both the FIA and F1 have existed long before the EU.

As far as F1 is concerned - Brexit will have very little effect (if any).

I am sure my point was about potential disruption of air travel, which may cease to exist, who knows for how long, and until a new agreement gets setup. If disruption of that kind would not affect F1, well, I can sleep then trouble free.

Let's get a grip sounds right.

Brexit will have minimum effect on F1 operations. A lot of the F1 talent is from outside of the EU, so permits are already required. Mercedes are far more bothered about the volume of cars they export to UK then they are F1 operations. 

However, Brexit will be used as an excuse for some teams to try and cut costs - maybe even for some teams to bail out completely.

I get the feeling Red Bull are looking for an external problem to pave the way for an exit from F1, even though one of their teams is based inside the EU.

One thing is for sure - F1 was here before the EU (and may well be here after it). Sport is a true meritocracy!

1 hour ago, DPR said:

Sport is a true meritocracy!

Maybe but Money talks in sport.  Why do U think Red BULL are here - world expose to a fizzy drink

I am unsure why, Coke and Pepsi are not in F1  Though some of their brands are

20 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Maybe but Money talks in sport.

Ask Toyota, British American tobacco, BMW, Jaguar and many many others that thought throwing money around would guarantee success - IT DIDN'T.

Sure cash helps, but talent will always will in the end. 

As for Red Bull - seeing their fizzy drink perform less than the fizzy drink that sponsors Merc, that must hurt! The sooner they leave the better. They are terrible losers and even worse winners. When they lose - it's the engine, the tyres, the weather, Margret Thatcher! anything!. When they win, it's all because they are great! Go sell your p**sy drinks elsewhere!

Re:  Go sell your p**sy drinks elsewhere!
> Not at all, THAT would B a BAD idea.
Red Bull HAS created awareness
Sure Red Bull IS enjoyin the exposure of a fizzy drink
But, Red Bull has invested heavily, CREATIN the on-going exposure - people R interested in F1 because of a fizzy drink
People R interested in a fizzy drink because of F1 
Energy drinks - WHATEVER label IS the new tobacco in F1
Caffeine
Taurine 

On 26/02/2019 at 6:22 PM, DPR said:

... many others that thought throwing money around would guarantee success - IT DIDN'T.

I respectfully DISAGREE.
Arguably money - well spent
That money WERE spent.
Years LATER - still TALKIN about it
Even though, the brands are NOT in F1 now and never ACHIEVED anythin in F1.
Brand awareness is STILL created - WITHOUT anything tangible 

What about the fact that Silverstone is in its last year deal I think? Could UK lose that race as a result of Brexit?