Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 from sidelines

In anticipation of a lot of activities on sidelines of race tracks, I thought this deserves its own thread.

Topic - Budget

First of all disclosure - I am an ardent opponent of imposing an arbitrary budget upon teams.

I am not certain what kind of problem Liberty and FiA are trying to solve, but in my estimation impact (enforcing budget) could be potentially self-destructive solution.

F1 is series of rich and famous, however now we will see them at a Food Bank? F1 must remain special. Its own DNA is being special. Once it becomes just another garden variety series, then its over.

My solution to rising cost is a different one.

i) If you cannot afford F1, leave. Twelve highly competitive cars of well financed teams is better than six (what we have now), or so-so twenty-six, what everyone else wants. 

ii) Let world economies dictate how firms behave, and how firm leadership wishes to allocate advertising budget as totally private matters. Comparing technology series such as F1 is to budgetary enforcement in US based sports is a false flag IMO.

iii) Control cost of racing by normative references (through regulations). Building a simpler car cost less than building a space shuttle, so much is not difficult to understand.

For years I am known to rant about it, including practical issues associated with implementation of such cost control (whatever that means in eyes of Liberty and FiA). Now I've found a soulmate in a person of Dr. Marko. Here is what he said (dead on):

We are still a long way from an agreement.

We also need to discuss which departments of the racing team fall under the budget limit. Nothing is clear," the Austrian insists.

Looks like neither Liberty nor FiA really know what they want to do IMO, because if they would, then we would read about and discuss a specific plan they had developed, instead some abstract concepts.

and top teams threatening to leave. And talk about being special, this made me think of something I read recently... Slightly off-topic, but quite good, if u care to read...

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-there-a-law-on-how-much-money-someone-can-have-Why-should-Donald-Trump-have-billions-of-dollars-when-I-am-barely-getting-by/answer/Jeff-Rogers-60?ch=3&share=5421c93a&srid=UJkT

9 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

and top teams threatening to leave...

I would not mind manufacturing series without CVC and similar.

52 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I would not mind manufacturing series without CVC and similar.

Now what is the cost in creating that? Then, what's the promise of it leveling out. 

I mean.. what the hell happened to the A1 series? The next big thing. The driving was so amateurish it was scary. Mind you, we had a worldwide recession going on. Now we have Brexit...

Ok, we talking manufacturers..but still

The need for a governing body I feel is essential. Imagine the politics of Manufacturers trying to stay ahead of the game. It will turn into a sordid mess. My opinion. Liberty (despite their best intentions) and the FIA  is just doing a pathetic job. Many rivers to cross....

14 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Now what is the cost in creating that? Then, what's the promise of it leveling out. 

I mean.. what the hell happened to the A1 series? The next big thing. The driving was so amateurish it was scary. Mind you, we had a worldwide recession going on. Now we have Brexit...

Ok, we talking manufacturers..but still

The need for a governing body I feel is essential. Imagine the politics of Manufacturers trying to stay ahead of the game. It will turn into a sordid mess. My opinion. Liberty (despite their best intentions) and the FIA  is just doing a pathetic job. Many rivers to cross....

I have only fuzzy recollection on reading many years ago several articles about former boss managing to have teams sign an agreement preventing them to split and form a new series. Since I haven't actually read the agreement itself, it is hard to speculate under what conditions that plan was formulated. With any new series FiA would have to be of course involved, there is very little doubt about it. This is however just nothing more than "shooting breeze at the water cooler". There is no push for separation at the moment (in the open), however situation might change very quickly (methinks). Whether E-series would be the answer, I am not sure. I should add, checking on prestige cars lineup, several automakers still build road monsters with 12 cylinders (not many, but they do). I gather deep down in man's soul, there is still place for something else than just an e-automobil.

Problem as I see it with F1 diversity, different teams have their own different objectives why they are participating, and I am lacking understanding how some arbitrarily set budget on gliding scale would change that. Put it differently, a team is now willing to allocate 500MM internal budget and accept that as being worth to them. Now new owners tell the same team, keep your objectives, but perhaps at 200 on slope to 120MM. A lot has to change, and question is why would they have to do that? Luring in many more teams? Possibility exists that certain technology related conditions a team set forth in their plans will not be met, and then they will probably move on and out instead. 

Simply put, some teams entered just for racing and income derived from placing well when a season ends (Williams). Others have the same goal, but they also, in addition, displaying their capabilities in technology, preferably road relevant (MB, Ferrari). Low level budget might not be aligned with team's business aims. We do not know how it ends. Dr. Zetsche's tenure seems at the moment little wobbly.

Handelsblatt:

Daimler boss Dieter Zetsche, due to step down in May...

Interesting. I can't make my mind how this change affects, if at all, Mercedes's negotiating position with Liberty.

Dr. Zetsche is a firm believer in racing as a testing bed. Problem is, there is the visionary future with self-driving vehicles, and Daimler, BMW and VW are exploring collaboration in research of new technologies, which is commendable, however that costs money. A lot of money.

Logic dictates then to slash internal F1 budget, and that's fine, however unless Mercedes can stay competitive, thing can turn very quickly, nasty way. They might pull out as a team, engine included.

I hope for continuation, but one never knows who from new leadership will decide about that. Mr. Wolff is a substantial shareholder in the team, but he still needs Stuttgart behind him. There were always shareholders who voted for MB to get out of this specific series, so, pressure is on.

Is Liberty Media looking to sell F1?

Don't tease me right Monday morning.

AMuS - Teams reject Liberty ‘joint launch’ idea

Why is Liberty getting involved in series of mimicky ideas (perhaps worthy of a village clown)? Grid girls, this and that, but lacking substance to move sport forward in really significant way.