Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Pre Season Testing 2020

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Ferrari suddenly on par on pace

Makes my heart pounding little faster. Now, where is the blood pressure testing thing again...

Untrue Sakae. 
If U look at it, essentially it IS revenue BOOSTING.
Because of his injury, Kubica WILL always attract media attention. 
He WOULD B a sponsors dream, though his skill levels R NOT sufficient.

14 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Why is Alfa Romeo using Kubica for testing ...ffs... he was consistenly last on pace last year?????

You can't attribute giving feedback or feel for the car... Let the actual drivers do the fckn driving!!!!

Obviously people on the F1 grid still rate Kubica highly even after the year at Williams. Might have something to do with Williams not fielding two equal cars.

5 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Untrue Sakae. 
If U look at it, essentially it IS revenue BOOSTING.
Because of his injury, Kubica WILL always attract media attention. 
He WOULD B a sponsors dream, though his skill levels R NOT sufficient.

Allocated testing time is short as it is. One would presume drivers need time in a c#ckpit to find optimized setup for their driving style. Buying media time by fielding a handicapped reserved driver (rarity), is rather strange deviation from former assertion, unless of course Kubica is being considered to team up with Kimi. Nothing of that kind however is being publicly discussed. One other possible reason for his outing could be, that they want him to get feel of the car in real conditions, thus his time in a simulator on development would have a comparative baseline.

It's their decision, but I would not get involved with Kubica at all. There are some other, just as qualified people siting on sidelines at the moment.

Hi Sakae, Brad and Ruslan ,

Seems you guys are getting ready for an exciting season :)

what's the pecking order so far ?

Hello as well, radical san. Glad to see you back, and hoping you have sorted all out after some trying times. Good to have you.

Pecking order? I am personally uncertain as ever, however one factor is creeping into my feelings, namely, while fight for primacy might be over already due to unfair advantage -- protected by rules they wrote for themselves -- that Mercedes enjoys for last six years, that will not change, I think. Fight for P2 - P5 slots might be however more crowded than ever. That ugly painted car Perez is driving, and RBR seems all in the mix. Ocon is a dark horse in my mind.

What about you? 

Pre-season talk is fine and somewhat tradition, but one question is increasingly gaining in weight, namely, are we going to have a season? Medical establishment is forecasting dark clouds ahead, as there is no cure for coronavirus at the moment, which is now spreading around the globe. Anything in medicine which could possibly work might be 12 to 18 months away stated one US doctor who works in the field. Makes one wonder about those 22 races...

What's with the British commentators on F1? Remnants of the Brexit perhaps? They really hate Vettel. One can detect it from their leading questions directed to Binotto such as by whom Vettel will be replaced (as if this is done deal), and so on. Its drip by drip comments which over time insidiously sow the beginnings of everything bad about the human race: xenophobia, intolerance, etc. Level of nastiness by those people is boundless. Vettel spins, today Vettel is first but by not enough above P2, etc. Always something negative to sneak in about him.

As an example I do recall last year when Hamilton spun and left track, yet that incident was merely fleetingly mentioned in the F1 media. Nothing about error. Vettel, however, in similar situation is awarded with BIG ERROR by a driver headlines. I am cognizant of fact that hardly anyone expects sport fans and media to be bias free, however with Vettel this vitriolic tone is with us consistently since his first days in BMW when "hero" Kubica had something (nasty IMHO) to say about him. Life is hardly fair, but in his case red lines were crossed repeatedly, and perhaps as an old-timer I am less and less drawn to sport that in one time I loved more than anything else. I used to spend (too much) time on F1, yet now it has become just passing interest.

4 hours ago, radical-one said:

Howdy dear sir, nice to see you

Pecking order. Fck knows.. Merc certainly frontrunner, MadMax still talking up s##t.. and Ferrari, sandwich inbetween I guess

Pink Panther (Merc replica) seems to top  midfield, as does Mclaren and maybe Alfa Romeo (I hope)

What's with RBR? Verstappen on the same H-tire is distant to Vettel. Perhaps ambient conditions are slowing them down? Unfortunately I do not see sector times to check it.

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Howdy dear sir, nice to see you

Pecking order. Fck knows.. Merc certainly frontrunner, MadMax still talking up s##t.. and Ferrari, sandwich inbetween I guess

Pink Panther (Merc replica) seems to top  midfield, as does Mclaren and maybe Alfa Romeo (I hope)

Hi BradIceMan -

Looks like same old same old, apart from the PinkMerc clone huh. Your Alpha Romeo might be hiding a surprise for the season too. 

I just hope that not too many venues will pass or postpone due to the virus.

Be safe man

2 minutes ago, Sakae said:

What's with RBR? Verstappen on the same H-tire is distant to Vettel. Perhaps ambient conditions are slowing them down? Unfortunately I do not see sector times to check it.

Sandbagging?

7 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Sandbagging?

Could be. From the distance without more data available for comparative analysis it is difficult to know what's up. Fact is, Verstappen is complaining, but his teammate was relatively fast the other day. RBR is however not slow. That much I bet.

Just now, Sakae said:

Could be. From the distance without more data available for comparative analysis it is difficult to know what's up. Fact is, Verstappen is complaining, but his teammate was relatively fast the other day. RBR is however not slow. That much I bet.

Verstappen complains even in off season as we all know. Albon is just acclimatizing himself still with RBR car. I bet he can beat Max a few times this season and more later if he progress properly. 

sum encouraging signs for Ferrrari..

"There was one big sign of encouragement for Ferrari on Wednesday.

Last year, their big weakness was slow corners, where the car understeered and not only lost time but also used up its tyres.

On Wednesday, though, the Ferrari was the quickest car in the final sector at Barcelona - where all the slow corners are. And by quite some margin - more than 0.3secs. Charles Leclerc said: “Sector three is the most technical one where there are the most corners. And on that I’m pretty sure we have improved and I can go quicker through the corner. So this is good. That was the goal for this year. And I think on that we are we are fine.”

bbc

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

sum encouraging signs for Ferrrari..

"There was one big sign of encouragement for Ferrari on Wednesday.

Last year, their big weakness was slow corners, where the car understeered and not only lost time but also used up its tyres.

On Wednesday, though, the Ferrari was the quickest car in the final sector at Barcelona - where all the slow corners are. And by quite some margin - more than 0.3secs. Charles Leclerc said: “Sector three is the most technical one where there are the most corners. And on that I’m pretty sure we have improved and I can go quicker through the corner. So this is good. That was the goal for this year. And I think on that we are we are fine.”

bbc

Yup, I agree; both drivers made similar comments, just as both were negative on the same issue last year. This was also a reason why any (media/fans) claims that Ferrari had fastest car last year did not hold water. Any greenhorn should know that straight line speed on its own will not win too many races. Well, I do not want to put my hopes too high yet.

What's with the 1st race will be in Holland instead Melbourne? Is this a fact? 

10 minutes ago, Sakae said:

What's with the 1st race will be in Holland instead Melbourne? Is this a fact? 

Just saw a headline about it, did'nt delve into it yet.. interesting

Hamilton stopped on track. Why I am so d*** happy about it? Is this kind of happiness make me a bad person?

Race distance on this track is 66 laps. Seb at 130 is about 2 race distances, yet another 44 min. to go.

Promise of better things to come? 

7 hours ago, radical-one said:

Welcome back. Hopefully things are better for you now. In my opinion the pecking order is already pretty much established last season and is being confirmed by testing. It is:

1. Mercedes - perhaps not seriously contested.

2. Red Bull - they may be challenged by Ferrari and they will need both drivers to score points.

3. Ferrari - they may be able to challenge Rwd Bull, especially as they have two very strong drivers, but they will need to get their act together. Right now all indications are that they don’t have their act together.

4. Mclaren - uncontested. They will not win any races this season but will be helped by their new Mercedes engine.

5. Renault - not sure why their budget situation is but last year they were spending welll below the cap.

6. Racing Point - I think they are going to be best of the rest. Certainly a whole lot better off financially then they were two seasons ago.

7: Alfa - these guys are getting better. Giovanazi seems to finally be getting his legs.

8. Toro Russo renamed - they may well challenge for 7th or 6th. Hard to say with their talented and inconsistent Red Bull reject drivers.

9. Haas - the limits of their kit car concept. They are now being surpassed by real teams with real development. The kit car approach has reached its natural dead end.

10. Williams - but they won’t suck as bad as last year.

Things to watch (as I think it will otherwise be a dull season):

1. Vettel versus Leclerc: Does  Vettel re-establish himself in the first half of the season?

2. Ricciardo versus Ocon: Are they equal? Who is better? This one is going to be fun as they are both outgoing and sparkling characters.

3. Preparation for 2021. The budget cap is coming, so i think a lot of teams are going to be working up for the next year as much as they can now.

Cost of operations...

F1 really should do something about cost of pitstops during races. From top view of a Ferrari stop-over one can count 18 men engaged in lighting pitstop. I understand mechanics of it, but is 2.5 sec pitstop really essential to a race? What if they all spend 10 sec on a pitstop because maybe just 8 men work on it? I am aware that by asking those question I am inviting sarcastic comments whether drivers should get out and change wheels instead, but that's not that. 18 people traveling globe for 11 months just as wheel changers? Isn't there some better (less costly) -- common to all -- solution available?

I AM confused by UR comment Ruslan:

4. Mclaren - uncontested. They will not win any races this season but will be helped by their new Mercedes engine.

> Mclaren WILL still B powered by Renault in 2020 season
The Mercedes customer deal does NOT start until the 2021 season

10 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

I AM confused by UR comment Ruslan:

> Mclaren WILL still B powered by Renault in 2020 season
The Mercedes customer deal does NOT start until the 2021 season

You are correct. Sorry.

Still, it appears that McLaren had a solid edge over Renault all last season and Renault was not doing anything to close the gap. Suspect that will also be the case this season.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Cost of operations...

F1 really should do something about cost of pitstops during races. From top view of a Ferrari stop-over one can count 18 men engaged in lighting pitstop. I understand mechanics of it, but is 2.5 sec pitstop really essential to a race? What if they all spend 10 sec on a pitstop because maybe just 8 men work on it? I am aware that by asking those question I am inviting sarcastic comments whether drivers should get out and change wheels instead, but that's not that. 18 people traveling globe for 11 months just as wheel changers? Isn't there some better (less costly) -- common to all -- solution available?

Well, I have always thought that it was a little over the top and risky. They could simply limit a pit stop to 6 people "over the wall." It is a simple rule that would make things a little more sane.