Clicky

Sakae

F1 Anything and Everything - What's on your mind.

make an error in inputs, only to find when it is late, that there was a mistaken assumption entered...  

That is Y BIG teams spend so much on testing. 
For validation reasons before it goes live to the race track
Complex system models with the appropriate validation at design time, will reduce the chance of poop being entered when goin live.
Before the turbo hybrid era, I KNOW that (for a FACT) a LOT of the pit lane used Progress Software 4GL (PSC).  Though I am NOT sure
since the evolution, into the turbo hybrid era and PSC also evolving to Open Edge ABL 

Lower rated teams probably used Microsoft Access for data entry

Date 2020.04.22   Time 8:00 (UTC) - RUMOR MILL

Looks like half of the grid, including some on the outside are busy replacing Vettel. I am back to something which is percolating on my mind for some time. Things which I (used to) like about F1 are becoming increasingly infrequent and rare. On and off the track. Should Seb leave series by the end of this season, should I too retire my interest in this sport as well, that's a question I need to face with some hard answers. F1 was suppose to be pleasant diversion from real life, but now it has become something else, and I am no on board with that. 

Yes, offer of 1 year and 12 MM is one that equals to invitation for Seb to leave. That would also make Binotto one big liar after what he was saying just a week or two back.

Options: stay with Ferrari on some decent terms, retire, McLaren(?), not sure which is the "other" team which is quoted.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.04.22   Time 8:00 (UTC) - RUMOR MILL

Looks like half of the grid, including some on the outside are busy replacing Vettel. I am back to something which is percolating on my mind for some time. Things which I (used to) like about F1 are becoming increasingly infrequent and rare. On and off the track. Should Seb leave series by the end of this season, should I too retire my interest in this sport as well, that's a question I need to face with some hard answers. F1 was suppose to be pleasant diversion from real life, but now it has become something else, and I am no on board with that. 

Yes, offer of 1 year and 12 MM is one that equals to invitation for Seb to leave. That would also make Binotto one big liar after what he was saying just a week or two back.

Options: stay with Ferrari on some decent terms, retire, McLaren(?), not sure which is the "other" team which is quoted.

On 4/18/2020 at 0:26 PM, Gethin said:

I don't trust that Binotto guy... not one bit. I think they went backwards since they let go of Kimi and Marlboro man and playing to the Leclerc's tantrums.The guy is'nt a leader... He's too unsure and plays to sentiments. Vettel is the driver who is a 4th time champion.. FFS!!!!

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I don't trust that Binotto guy... not one bit. I think they went backwards since they let go of Kimi and Marlboro man and playing to the Leclerc's tantrums.The guy is'nt a leader... He's too unsure and plays to sentiments. Vettel is the driver who is a 4th time champion.. FFS!!!!

There could be another hidden issue in this play. Binotto might had been speaking really how he felt, but he has couple of guys with big telephone numbers in higher floor, and who knows what kind of direction was issued to him (making his mind for him). We tend to forget sometimes that this is not the same team when the aristocrat like Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (LdM) was in charge. He was the one with whom Seb signed on for his future with the team. After that it was never-ending downhil ride since Luca left. With Sergio passing, I am not sure who is really in charge in Maranello. Sure, on day-to-day in operations it is Mattia, but key decisions - ????

4 minutes ago, Sakae said:

There could be another hidden issue in this play. Binotto might had been speaking really how he felt, but he has couple of guys with big telephone numbers in higher floor, and who knows what kind of direction was issued to him (making his mind for him). We tend to forget sometimes that this is not the same team when the aristocrat like Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (LdM) was in charge. He was the one with whom Seb signed on for his future with the team. After that it was never-ending downhil ride since Luca left. With Sergio passing, I am not sure who is really in charge in Maranello. Sure, on day-to-day in operations it is Mattia, but key decisions - ????

If he's a team leader who adhere to the whims of guys with big tel nr's giving imperatives, he's weaker than I think he is...

40 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

If he's a team leader who adhere to the whims of guys with big tel nr's giving imperatives, he's weaker than I think he is...

Based on world I know Brad, it's more commonplace than many realize. Noble business term instead "do as we order you" is "steering committee". Very few have really free ride to do what they wish, and then take responsibility for it. I didn't like the guy who said it, but he was on something with "trust, but verify". I am very much in doubt that any of Team's Principals is without supervision in certain areas.

15 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Based on world I know Brad, it's more commonplace than many realize. Noble business term instead "do as we order you" is "steering committee". Very few have really free ride to do what they wish, and then take responsibility for it. I didn't like the guy who said it, but he was on something with "trust, but verify". I am very much in doubt that any of Team's Principals is without supervision in certain areas.

Yes, but what about.. letting the guy do his job without interference, until "they" have options to exercise/impose

54 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Yes, but what about.. letting the guy do his job without interference, until "they" have options to exercise/impose

Yes, this was situation LdM was in, I believe. He was trusted and acted wisely. Situation has changed much since his days. People in different positions have different information on industrial forecasts, assessment on future of F1, team's financial stability, and long term planning. One man - a team's principal - is probably not in a position to have access to internal situational analysis and plans, and some of the long range planning is out of his scope of responsibility. So yes, TP needs to be consulted, however he has to be prepared to swallow hard if he is overturned in some instances. You are also correct, once he gets green light, then he will not call New York twice a day or wherever  Camilleri is. Executive structure of Ferrari is more than just one man. I am not privy to inside structure in decision making on key directions, such as choice of drivers is.

Executives

Date 2020.04.28   Time 10:32 (UTC) FERRARI in headlines

Poor testing results in Feb might not had been all bluffing. LeClerc is in headlines saying that Ferrari has a job to do to catch Mercedes. Both Ferrari drivers seems to be on the same page. That is probably more than just coincidence. It would be nice if Liberty, FiA and teams agree that racing ought to be with cars that are race ready, instead sending them on grid in crutches. One way to do that is to let team work and correct deficiency.

I doubt however they will do that. I also think it is travesty perpetrated - in this case on Ferrari - fans, who want a fight when a team is ready to fight, and it is denied to them. 

Date 2020.04.30   Time 7:09 (UTC)

Formula 1 must use the enforced hiatus caused by COVID-19 to significantly reshape the sport, according to former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali.

...as suggested in here a few pages ago. The only difference is, I thought that 2020 should be written off, and time in hands spend productively on matters which usually are perhaps treated with not as much thought as subject matter deserves. I have of course on my mind technical and sporting regulations.

I must admit that I am still fuming over what happened to Vettel in race in Mexico a few years back, when Sebastian told whole world what he thought about race control (who sat on his high white horse in conditioned room). Some of the off track excursion and different treatments drivers received surely deserves second visit in terms how similar situations will be treated in the future, that is, more fairly. What Verstappen got away on that day IMO disqualified Whiting from his position as the FiA official.

Date 2020.05.29   Time 8:08 (UTC) - where are we with membership?

Mercedes - rumors of exit. (Denied by CEO).

BMW - not interested due to their different focus of F1 on future oriented technologies. (True)

Renault - rumors of exit. (False. Confirmed today, May 29 - they are staying.)

Williams - rumors of exit.

Who else is not in rumor mill but considering exit?

I would not be quick to blame all on hybrids. That would be oversimplification how F1 has been managed for years. A depth study, I suspect, could potentially reveal several major factors dating back for decades which drove sport to this. I am going to save myself going into repeated rant what rule-book have done to the sport since 2013. Tickets sale at the gate are not great as reported so often.

Date 2020.06.01   Time 14:06 (UTC)

GP Fans:

Only Toto Wolff is against reverse grid races - Horner

Bless Wolff for it. Add mi to his side. 

Why should be F1 taken seriously, when they are adding one gimmick after another, instead fixing what fixing is needed on technical side, namely toss finicky tires for (temperature/endurance) stable ones, ensure cars can follow each other in close proximity, and therefore facilitating overtaking based on driver's driving skills. That's it. Is it too much to ask?  :P

Racing Point joined Mercedes. Hmmm...

Re:  Is it too much to ask? 
>Indeed it IS.  This IS modern F1, there is NO I in team.
F1 IS a TEAM sport.  EVERYBODY in the TEAM contribute to the win.

Reverse grid result I AGREE, is too gimmicky.
F1 is about being the best.  The best means, going faster than anybody else, over a race distance.

Of course adding strategy into it.  Will involve the whole team contribution 

11 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Re:  Is it too much to ask? 
>Indeed it IS.  This IS modern F1, there is NO I in team.
F1 IS a TEAM sport.  EVERYBODY in the TEAM contribute to the win.

F1 is about being the best.  The best means, going faster than anybody else, over a race distance.

Of course adding strategy into it.  Will involve the whole team contribution 

Whut???

WHOOSH over UR head Sakae 

So NO to the idea of reverse Grids

There is NO i in TEAM

NOBODY in F1 has EVER won ANYTHING by themselves 
ALWAYS part of a TEAM - don`t design, build AND drive a car ALL on UR own

3 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

NOBODY in F1 has EVER won ANYTHING by themselves 

I've never thought otherwise, I assure you.

On 22/04/2020 at 10:56 AM, BradSpeedMan said:

Technical ISSUE there about Vettel - There IS a sayin, only as good as the competition. 
All the competition Vettel HAS faced - ex Champions who have NOT succeeded since their prime - similarly to Vettel, ALL in the right place at the right time.
Alonso IS the ONLY recent drive to succeed in F1 and ALSO IN motorsport AWAY from F1 - he IS still chasin the DREAM - the TRIPLE crown 

Date 2020.06.03   Time 6:47 (UTC)

planetf1:

Although Christian Horner says F1 will be “stronger” for the budget cap, he fears the sport could descend into an “accounting world championship”.

...so, I am not alone who think so? Dismiss Engineers, and hire instead more bookkeepers and lawyers. That's where F1 is heading IMO, however how that improves product I am not sure. I have seen similar strategy implemented in other sector once, and it didn't end up well once newcomers ordered expensive furniture, cornered best offices, and got comfortable bossing everyone in sight and beyond. Unchecked interpretation of self-importance and how much authority one has can really play havoc in place which used to be well organized before destruction began.

We had minor demonstration of what can happen in early years when Mercedes re-entered GP racing. Main office wanted to control spending (so we heard), and nothing was moving in the plant at speed that was required. It was of course changed very quickly, when wise men realized rapid prototyping moves quicker than approval by an accountant.  

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.06.03   Time 6:47 (UTC)

planetf1:

...so, I am not alone who think so? Dismiss Engineers, and hire instead more bookkeepers and lawyers. That's where F1 is heading IMO, however how that improves product I am not sure. I have seen similar strategy implemented in other sector once, and it didn't end up well once newcomers ordered expensive furniture, cornered best offices, and got comfortable bossing everyone in sight and beyond. Unchecked interpretation of self-importance and how much authority one has can really play havoc in place which used to be well organized before destruction began.

We had minor demonstration of what can happen in early years when Mercedes re-entered GP racing. Main office wanted to control spending (so we heard), and nothing was moving in the plant at speed that was required. It was of course changed very quickly, when wise men realized rapid prototyping moves quicker than approval by an accountant.  

Yes... its suppose to be the pinnacle of motorsports... which means engineering feats shud triumph... The suits will win every war I guess

GPBlog

Ecclestone doesn't support budget cap: "It's been complete rubbish"

That's what I've been telling anyone within earshot for years. Ruslan still believes that it is what F1 needs. Talking in general terms rather than anyone specific, rubbish is just about right, and I am talking as someone who worked with budgets his whole professional life.

We expect a crash to cost ...

This IS nonsense.
A crash WILL benefit, sponsors and advertisers.
Companies logo`s exposed to the WORLD - Every crash WILL C a company logo on display
Y else would crashdanardo B in F1 - he GETS sponsors because their logo`s R seen

On 03/06/2020 at 4:23 PM, Sakae said:

I am talking as someone who worked with budgets his whole professional life.

>Paper round / route R effected GREATLY by budgets - prices NEVER go down - Few publications
have financial difficulties - just charge MORE 

Edited by lipstick79

2 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

We expect a crash to cost ...

This IS nonsense.
A crash WILL benefit, sponsors and advertisers.
Companies logo`s exposed to the WORLD - Every crash WILL C a company logo on display
Y else would crashdanardo B in F1 - he GETS sponsors because their logo`s R seen

How will a team benefit from a crash costing them about €300,000 when they are restricted by limits of mandated annual budget?