Sakae

F1 General discussion

122 posts in this topic

This is not a forum when we can keep too many topics alive and interesting, thus this one should serve as collage of ideas and opinions not fitting elsewhere.

This time objects of my love are Renault boys. Ocon is young, and someone should teach him not to bite a hand that feeds him. He should know by now that much. The other one is publicly selling himself (again) - to anyone, I guess most likely to Ferrari. He still didn't read a Memo that they do not want him. In fact, I would seriously suggest to Renault to let him go and find a replacement which will have his heart in it. Having a driver letting people behind him know that he is just there waiting to jump when an opportunity knocks...not too much exciting, is it?

Vettel is with Ferrari 5 years, and Leclerc - protégé of Nicolas Todt - is their future. Nothing much to do there for Sebastian. It will be an interesting decision on his part later this year. LDM who had his hand in hiring him is long gone, and the new crowd have different plans. 

Future of F1 is handed to us in chunks. It will take me more than one reading to understand changes Liberty is releasing, never-mind impact they will have on racing popularity. Frankly speaking, I am lost how aims defined in that release will bring more fans to racing. Its not critique, just admission. 

here 

People are talking about electric car world, but for grounded insiders that might be temporary insanity by a common man. In fact, several well researched papers suggest diesel engines could be less damaging to environment than electrical aftermath. Stigma attached to diesel is however precluding harness its full potential. Meanwhile environmental and cost impact of generation of electricity, disposal of batteries, etc. is a problem in waiting.

Once in a seminar I've attended an automaker admitted they are working on hydrogen power units as an advanced energy source step over and above an electrical car. I am not sure whether F1 should be concerned about that, but I do not see finality in forthcoming BIG solution next year. Perhaps this is just a small step in something bigger just behind the door. 

Carmakers of F1 will have some difficult decisions to make. Frequent changes in design and production are very expensive, and not everyone is ready for that, or willing to absorb it. Least expensive is actually retainment of stable rules, but I hope Brawn knows that (does he, and does he cares?).

At this junction I would be careful and hesitant to call changes in offing as economical solution to sport popularity.

Edited by Sakae

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:50 PM, Sakae said:

The other one is publicly selling himself (again) - to anyone, I guess most likely to Ferrari. He still didn't read a Memo that they do not want him. In fact, I would seriously suggest to Renault to let him go and find a replacement which will have his heart in it. Having a driver letting people behind him know that he is just there waiting to jump when an opportunity knocks...not too much exciting, is it?

Right on the money regarding Ricciardo. He had better hope that Ocon doesn't meet his performance, or better than that out perform him, which is possible. Will end any idea of seeing himself in red.

COVID-19 has been now declared pandemic, thus it is not clear to me what is Liberty doing with F1 in Melbourne, or anywhere else for that matter in times like these. Are they waiting for the virus to wipe out F1 actors in large numbers before rendering a decision to suspend the season? 

On the other hand...is it going to be a season at all? Teams and personnel from Italy might experience travel restrictions at later races. As of this moment FiA officials might experience the same. Hard to say where this all is heading.

Edited by Sakae

My respect to McLaren, especially Andreas Seidl, for their wise decision to withdraw from the race.  Liberty and FiA were really daft not to suspend start of the season (IMO). 

Obviously this is not over yet, and we can wait who else is leaving. Haas  should have been leading exodus, but I am not sure for what they are waiting.. 

Edited by Sakae

-- THE END --

What about the next race a week from now? A lot of people needs to be in quarantine for next 2 weeks.

It was after all Brawn who stated just last week that there will not be a World Title GP race, should a team has to withdraw from participating. Whether there will be some non-title racing just for fun remains to be seen, but I doubt it.  

Correction: I checked Brawn's statement again, and he was referring to a situation when a team was denied entry to the country. Apparently when a team withdraws from competition on its own is judged under different rules.

Conclusion - I might have spoken too soon. That race is officially not cancelled yet. We have to wait little while for FiA to speak to us with an official announcement.

Edited by Sakae

How quickly what was going to be first longest season in F1 history turning into potentially one of the shortest ones.

It's Friday 13th, and the public forum is deserted for very long time. Maybe it's time for me to go as well. I am hoping all of you old comrades whom I came to know on these pages, will survive this new bug (and more).

I am genuinely concern about Publius who lives in Italy, but then in a way I miss whole gang from the old forum. I might return one day, but at the moment there is no point. This forum is not my personal Journal having it all just for myself.

For future contact, and if you wish, Angel (lady) can reach me on my personal email and let me know if you are returning. (PM on this board doesn't work.) 

Cheers guys! It was good clean fun while it lasted, and perhaps one day we meet again. Racing F1 is in our blood for good.

Sakae

Edited by Sakae

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

It's Friday 13th, and the public forum is deserted for very long time. Maybe it's time for me to go as well. I am hoping all of you old comrades whom I came to know on these pages, will survive this new bug (and more).

I am genuinely concern about Publius who lives in Italy, but then in a way I miss whole gang from the old forum. I might return one day, but at the moment there is no point. This forum is not my personal Journal having it all just for myself.

For future contact, and if you wish, Angel (lady) can reach me on my personal email and let me know if you are returning. (PM on this board doesn't work.) 

Cheers guys! It was good clean fun while it lasted, and perhaps one day we meet again. Racing F1 is in our blood for good.

Sakae

You keeping us going bud. I can't post as often as I like, but I always look forward to you insights and posts

Reconsider

Edited by BradSpeedMan

Hey Brad,

I would like to stay, and perhaps knowing that even one comrade visiting here and there would making this worthwhile. As you know, I have personal history with your homeland, spending 10 years in Africa, and Kyalami being first track which introduced me to F1 racing, thus knowing you brings all back as precious memories. My short lived departure is not a first one, and I always return if I know that there is more of us sticking around. It's great to hear from you.

On the plate...

1. Will there be a season?

2. Will initial start of the season delay help Ferrari to instill countermeasures to issues identified during pre-season testing?

3. Blast in F1 theater: "2021 rules overhaul likely to be postponed". (Is Ruslan crying yet?)

4. Haas is hesitant to continue beyond this year, and we might lose them. US team out will not be a welcomed news for all those who aspired to apply for a job in a c#ckpit.

Edited by Sakae

(Organization) WHO declared Europe a new epicenter of pandemic Coronavirus. What it means for racing is a good question. Germany for example permits crowds not large than 100 people at any time, anywhere. 

Any time I turn on news, I am hearing experts talking about 1 - 2 years before we might have effective vaccine on the shelves; so, no quick fix around the corner.

What it all ads up to I am not sure, but authorities will be concerned more about containment, rather than racing; that's what I think we can take for certain.

Maybe we should be talking about 2021 instead, assuming there is a point in that, or perhaps we actually should be talking today about 2022 as realistic time-frame to congregate and race. I am experiencing difficulty to see this season going forward even on most flexible calendar.

Edited by Sakae

16 hours ago, Sakae said:

On the plate...

1. Will there be a season?

2. Will initial start of the season delay help Ferrari to instill countermeasures to issues identified during pre-season testing?

3. Blast in F1 theater: "2021 rules overhaul likely to be postponed". (Is Ruslan crying yet?)

4. Haas is hesitant to continue beyond this year, and we might lose them. US team out will not be a welcomed news for all those who aspired to apply for a job in a c#ckpit.

Will certainly give them more time, does'nt it. I read they upgraded the engines, and is experiencing problems with the upgrades. Which begs the q.. what about AlfaRomeo. Are they not suppose to have the latest spec engines? They been flying on the straights!

Toto believes Ferrari is bluffing, i think it might be a combination of both. A little bit of bluffing, and the engine not really delivering what they expected.

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

(Organization) WHO declared Europe a new epicenter of pandemic Coronavirus. What it means for racing is a good question. Germany for example permits crowds not large than 100 people at any time, anywhere. 

Any time I turn on news, I am hearing experts talking about 1 - 2 years before we might have effective vaccine on the shelves; so, no quick fix around the corner.

What it all ads up to I am not sure, but authorities will be concerned more about containment, rather than racing; that's what I think we can take for certain.

Maybe we should be talking about 2021 instead, assuming there is a point in that, or perhaps we actually should be talking today about 2022 as realistic time-frame to congregate and race. I am experiencing difficulty to see this season going forward even on most flexible calendar.

I'm reminded of that race where they fixed an issue on the Mclaren car while it was racing on the streets of Monaco.

F1 is so far ahead with technology, it makes sense to avoid all the media circus hype... for now. Make it exclusively virtual... Operate with a few mechanics and team personal, few guys at pitwall. Does it make sense for f1 races to be held in different countries, while Coronavirus s##t is being fixed? I read it might take 2 years to find a cure. Ive been to a workplace this week, it's scary both in atmosphere and general mood!!

Dunno, just rambling on..

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Will certainly give them more time, does'nt it. I read they upgraded the engines, and is experiencing problems with the upgrades. Which begs the q.. what about AlfaRomeo. Are they not suppose to have the latest spec engines? They been flying on the straights!

Toto believes Ferrari is bluffing, i think it might be a combination of both. A little bit of bluffing, and the engine not really delivering what they expected.

This might not be far from the truth. The question got slightly murky when we look for one lap speed, yet Leclerc is reported to say -- we have speed --. I am not big believer of benefit hiding your speed proper, but who knows? Mercedes certainly comes out and is quite open where they are (up to a point), yet Ferrari this year has taken that art of bluffing to whole new level, unless of course they are really slow in some track topology and with full tank of fuel. (Probably better in turns, but slower in straights.)

Edited by Sakae

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm reminded of that race where they fixed an issue on the Mclaren car while it was racing on the streets of Monaco.

F1 is so far ahead with technology, it makes sense to avoid all the media circus hype... for now. Make it exclusively virtual... Operate with a few mechanics and team personal, few guys at pitwall. Does it make sense for f1 races to be held in different countries, while Coronavirus s##t is being fixed? I read it might take 2 years to find a cure. Ive been to a workplace this week, it's scary both in atmosphere and general mood!!

Dunno, just rambling on..

F1 has to plan as there is nothing much else what they can do, but fact is, we are in evolving crisis, and there are no set rules where this all is going. I would not be surprised if they are preparing internally for scrapping the season, regardless whether they admit it, or not. There are so many unanswered and open issues for next year, leaving internet potentially with more action in speculating zone, than on race track. This year is going to be costly for everyone, so much is given.

Reality is, even without fans on sidelines, once virus should get grip on F1 personnel, the series can get wiped out for good. We cannot pretend that such possibility doesn't exists; sad as it is.   

Edited by Sakae

18 minutes ago, Sakae said:

F1 has to plan as there is nothing much else what they can do, but fact is, we are in evolving crisis, and there are no set rules where this all is going. I would not be surprised if they are preparing internally for scrapping the season, regardless whether they admit it, or not. There are so many unanswered and open issues for next year, leaving internet potentially with more action in speculating zone, than on race track. This year is going to be costly for everyone, so much is given.

Reality is, even without fans on sidelines, once virus should get grip on F1 personnel, the series can get wiped out for good. We cannot pretend that such possibility doesn't exists; sad as it is.   

18 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Coronas##tvirus is just like a bad flu... we will recover. Too much money to lose and involved to make F1 stall/stop... Then there is the careers... I think discussions will be around how to keep it going...

ps: I meant virtual with electronics

Based on available information, for example by Dr. David Ho (Taiwan/US) who is a prominent researcher in the field of HIV, containment (exposure) decreases number of new cases (citing China's way of control), but will not cure it. People do compare it with flu, because symptoms are similar, but that's where it ends. Just this morning I watched an interview with him, and looks like at best, it will take a year (discovery how to treat it, trials, regulatory approvals, manufacturing and distribution, etc.) before we will get some answers. Assumption is, establishment will find proper answers.

From F1 point of view, we should be in deep racing season 2021 before everyone around track can take "a shot" into his/her arm.

I have no clue how to get from where we are to there.

In terms of virtual racing, I -- as a layman -- am lacking proper perspective how that could be done in such manner, that fans will accept it. I know I am sounding like a "downer", but maybe we need to face and accept objective facts, that at least this year F1 is receiving unwelcome, unplanned and unexpected hit.

Question is, how and when it will recover to former itself.

This is only start. Hundreds (if not thousands) of people will be let go and looking for a job as F1 racing budget kicks in, and that might begin sooner than expected. There is no way teams like Mercedes can and will keep current staffing at the same level in new post 2020 era. Add corona, and one must almost feel sorry for those guys. 

Edited by Sakae

Life is being placed on hold, effective immediately. A few minutes ago I received government issued directive via SMS, that locally for next 14 days all businesses but essential services are on lockdown. What was so far a distant abstract subject for so long, is now right in my lap. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Sporting events somehow do not fit into this situation, and in fact, people would get mighty upset, if Liberty decided otherwise. This is not maybe or or what if, but factual basic countermeasure in containment effort. This might not be over after two weeks.    

Edited by Sakae

President of US requested of a German company (CureVac) to develop vaccine, but catch is, he wants it exclusively for Americans (per German press). That would qualify Haas, and some personnel from Liberty, but rest of the F1 would not qualify for vaccination. CEO of the lab resigned his post after the meeting with WH, and the original business founder has taken over. 

I am not sure where this is going...

Edited by Sakae

Liberty and FiA are under fire for indecisiveness not to race this weekend, and late announcement about their decision. Whilst I can understand anger by fans who have travelled long distances at great cost only to learn it was all for nothing, I rather think their anger is justified because of predictability of the situation. Fans were assured more than once a race was ON.

But race could not, and should have not had been promised.

F1 management was bouncing their decision to race or not to race for weeks prior anyone traveled to Melbourne, yet they seems to be totally unprepared for the situation in hand literally hours before race practice. That's how it looks from outside. I thought Brawn is a better manager than what we have seen in this case. UK guys promoted him to Managing Director of the Sport, so, where was that management in action? Cost, insurance, and other stuff should have been worked out long time ago under different scenarios, and lawyers for all parties should have had paperwork in order. Fax works. Computers do work.

At least I thought a decision could have been worked out more rapidly, helping fans to make some timely decisions on their own.

Edited by Sakae

Sebastian Vettel could make the move to McLaren next year if he isn’t retained by Ferrari, according to a report by F1-insider.

Only if Andreas stays. Without him IMO it would be a dead end. Having said that, I think he will resign with Ferrari, unless Binotto makes it difficult. Retiring option for Seb is just as lucrative. His devotion to his family life is phenomenal. In racing he likes his job, but only to the point. Over a decade of racing he made that much without doubts.

Edited by Sakae

Seb IS Yesterday`s news - WITHOUT Newey Seb is NOT even as Good as EITHER of the Mclaren Rookies.  
Why would Mclaren want him? 
Admittedly the ONLY reason Mclaren COULD want/sign him IS;
Seb brings commercial interest and awareness. 
Mclaren powered by Renault IN the media AGAIN without having to do ANYTHING.

8 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Seb IS Yesterday`s news - WITHOUT Newey Seb is NOT even as Good as EITHER of the Mclaren Rookies.  
Why would Mclaren want him? 
Admittedly the ONLY reason Mclaren COULD want/sign him IS;
Seb brings commercial interest and awareness. 
Mclaren powered by Renault IN the media AGAIN without having to do ANYTHING.

Are you suggesting Hamilton would have all those trophies without Mercedes? Forget RB's alleged advantage. Vettel at least met his rivals on equal footing in a car of comparative strength, yet I did not see any car equaling Mercedes in power, aero and chassis since 2014 and hardly anyone ever mentions that. Some people have temerity to defame Vettel as driving what was in their minds a "best car", and do not mind to ignore objective facts.

Whether RB was the best car of the day is perhaps debatable, despite that argument was torn apart on a few occasions, however on the other side, who wants to argue that Mercedes is not unique in hybrid era? Who wants to argue that anticompetitive regulations -- keeping rivals down -- are protecting Mercedes's drivers since 2014? Well, it appears, Hamilton's fans do, that's who.

Vettel is still with Ferrari, and if he leaves, I am confident it will be on amicable terms. I wish him luck, wherever he goes, whatever he decides to do, and if Mclaren wants him and he takes it, that's OK with me.

Season is slow, and specialised F1 media are starving for headlines, which is why I think we should not get ahead of ourselves in here.