Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (Year 2020)

How Alpha Tauri is making progres

There seems to be light at the end of this tauri's hollow bull horn.

Gasly as I realize is very specific in his requirement for his setup, and seems to be working well with getting help from the team.

Christian recently said that they want gasly to stay at AT because thier relation to AT is different from what it was to Tauro Rosso. They view AT as a sister or an equal team, and not necessarily as a junior or a support team.

At this rate they will catch up soon with the likes of the Redbulls and the McLarens and the Renaults soon.. Maybe even better them.

Edited by blackpebel

6 hours ago, blackpebel said:

How Alpha Tauri is making progres

There seems to be light at the end of this tauri's hollow bull horn.

Gasly as I realize is very specific in his requirement for his setup, and seems to be working well with getting help from the team.

Christian recently said that they want gasly to stay at AT because thier relation to AT is different from what it was to Tauro Rosso. They view AT as a sister or an equal team, and not necessarily as a junior or a support team.

At this rate they will catch up soon with the likes of the Redbulls and the McLarens and the Renaults soon.. Maybe even better them.

I find that hard to believe...

RBR will accept defeat from their "junior" academy drivers team, I think not...

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I find that hard to believe...

RBR will accept defeat from their "junior" academy drivers team, I think not...

Is what Christian has claimed recently, so let's see if they stay true to their word in the heat of the battle.

It will only improve the competition.

RB don't have a whole lot of young drivers to make the step up right now.

Keeping Gasly is a good move. They will never promote him again to RBR, but he's good enough to hold down a spot in the lesser of their teams.

Date 2020.11.07   Time 13:58 (UTC)

WHY WE NEED THE SOUTH AFRICAN GRAND PRIX BACK ASAP!

Brad, you may want to address this. My last visit at Kyalami is now so far back, it is almost as it never happened. I've heard however the same track was demolished. Is there any talk in SA circles about F1 coming back, and if so, where it would be?  (Hillbrow BTW seems mess - watched news a few days ago. What happened there?)

10 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.11.07   Time 13:58 (UTC)

Brad, you may want to address this. My last visit at Kyalami is now so far back, it is almost as it never happened. I've heard however the same track was demolished. Is there any talk in SA circles about F1 coming back, and if so, where it would be?  (Hillbrow BTW seems mess - watched news a few days ago. What happened there?)

HillBrow, Yeoville..... a Big Mess! The less said the better

There were talks few years ago, apparently Kyalami was deemed ...dangerous. I watched BMW practise there early 2000's (with positive noises from Montoya and Ralf). Also, Government was'nt really interested, it was'nt feasible to them because.. It's expensive (as we all know). Last I read there was an option for racing around the streets of Cape Town (Street Circuit there would have been marvelous, just imagine the scenery), but it got shot down by the residents due to noise levels. Crazy ppl!!! Formula E is being discussed by various stakeholders, but whether there will be enough funders, just don't know. (https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/04/cape-town-considering-three-track-layouts-for-second-formula-e-race-in-africa/)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/formula1/2014/12/19/ecclestone-trying-to-revive-south-african-gp/20629507/

https://www.news24.com/wheels/FormulaOne/an-f1-race-in-sa-think-again-20180206 

(both articles few years old)

It's in... limbo

I would love to see the current F1 car race in brands hatch. That's a classy classic track. Today's cars should be able to cover it under a minute.. and would be a different challenge for the drivers, sort of a mini endurance sprint race, F1-kind.

8 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

HillBrow, Yeoville..... a Big Mess! The less said the better

There were talks few years ago, apparently Kyalami was deemed ...dangerous. I watched BMW practise there early 2000's (with positive noises from Montoya and Ralf). Also, Government was'nt really interested, it was'nt feasible to them because.. It's expensive (as we all know). Last I read there was an option for racing around the streets of Cape Town (Street Circuit there would have been marvelous, just imagine the scenery), but it got shot down by the residents due to noise levels. Crazy ppl!!! Formula E is being discussed by various stakeholders, but whether there will be enough funders, just don't know. (https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/04/cape-town-considering-three-track-layouts-for-second-formula-e-race-in-africa/)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/formula1/2014/12/19/ecclestone-trying-to-revive-south-african-gp/20629507/

https://www.news24.com/wheels/FormulaOne/an-f1-race-in-sa-think-again-20180206 

(both articles few years old)

It's in... limbo

Thanks Brad for the effort. The article in Wheels is interesting. I am not sure what kind of arrangement with promoters Liberty has, but to run a race under BE it was loosing proposition. For example in Germany track basically did not get any money from BE/CVC to speak off. They grab it all, including gate entry tickets up to certain number of visitors. The promoter needed really BIG attendance to cover even basic cost, never mind to make profit of it. Dr. Merkel said NO to government subsidy, which is absolutely responsible decision. Problem was, interest in F1 racing in Germany was on decline, and tracks consequently shut down. Greed by the owners and the way F1 was/is managed killed racing in Germany. Today I am not so sure it's much better. 

I should have mentioned, that a few hard souls like us in here are still holding on last bit of hope for better times ahead.

Date 2020.11.09   Time 7:25 (UTC)

OneStopStrategy: Management of expected work-overload

Monday 9 November at 07:35 : Nov.9 (GMM) Even the smaller F1 teams will have to shake up their internal organisation to cope with the 23 scheduled grands prix next year.

Mercedes has already announced that the unprecedented number of races that are planned for next year will mean engineers will be put on a rotation scheme.

Franz Tost, boss of the second Red Bull team Alpha Tauri, says the Faenza based outfit will follow suit.

Thoughts about impact of such solutions:

•  Pro:
    • Human oriented solution, people are not machines.
    • Not desirable, but necessary from labor point of view.
  • Con:
    • Variable with direct impact upon races and outside driver's control. Risk of inconsistency.
    • Increased number of engineers is also more expensive for the team.
  • Conclusion:
    • It seems to me the only benefactor from running more races is Liberty (on short term), and maybe teams in the top three positions. For rest of them - who knows? They will get something, but will be that enough to cover expenses and make a buck or two? Hard to tell ahead. Questions shall be asked after next season.
  • Good for the sport?
    • I doubt it on the long run. Once F1-rarity becomes F1-yawn, then what? Short attention span generation might toss it. As a kid I liked ice-cream on Sunday mother from time to time bought for me. Then I was free to get a cone of ice-cream any time I wanted on my own (and it was very often). It was marvellous for a while. Now I am sick of it, and don't want any. Luster and magic of a cone filled with vanilla is off.
  • Good for me?
    • I could envision changes in my viewing habits. Instead watching F1 consistently and traditionally race-by-race, maybe i need to be more selective, and watch only some races based on personal preferences. Will I like it? I might need to find out.

Date 2020.11.09   Time 12:47 (UTC)

WOLFF: F1 MUST FIX SUPERMARKET PARKING LOT TRACKS

Promising, logical, and perhaps necessary as part of F1 recovery program to better racing. In contrast to others, I do not blame track designers. As I understand it, designers like Mr. Tilke did not have often a free hand in desgn (track form), yet he is one often blamed by scatterbrains fans.

Owners were looking for price of the land (not always most stable), number of seats, access, refreshment stands, parking, etc., and only when (often overloaded) a load list of amenities was handed to the track architect, then he ended with - BTW, fit a track somewhere in between what's left. FiA and Liberty should however step into this practice, and tell track owners, you change, or we are out. That's the only way to fix it. Owners tried, there was no evil intent, but modern cars do need a track that complements modern F1. This effort has to beyond just money.

My opinion - just because FiA approves track as suited for racing, it doesn't follow, we should be racing on it.

Date 2020.11.09   Time 13:27 (UTC)

VERSTAPPEN: 90% OF THE FIELD COULD WIN IN THE MERCEDES

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen says he is not frustrated by the success of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes, but maintains their car is simply on another level compared to the rest of the Formula 1 grid.

Point is, I believe it is that way since 2014. To make claims that Vettel bottled several WDC's in Ferrari is hardly based on facts, only conjecture and nothing else. No one had a chance against MB. They were no less than 0.5 sec ahead in 2014, and they are ahead no less than 0.5 sec ahead today.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

No one had a chance against MB

Untrue - EVERYBODY had a chance.
Others have NOT taken the opportunity.
When the Ferrari were dominant with Scumy, others rose 2 the technical challenge.
Mclaren & Mika Hakkinen come 2 mind.

2 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Untrue - EVERYBODY had a chance.
Others have NOT taken the opportunity.

I completely disagree with this.

The way the rules are written in the hybrid era, with the token system being heavily involved in holding back teams to catch up, other teams did NOT have a fair chance to upgrade thier PU's to the efficiency that Merc has achieved.

34 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

I completely disagree with this.

The way the rules are written in the hybrid era, with the token system being heavily involved in holding back teams to catch up, other teams did NOT have a fair chance to upgrade thier PU's to the efficiency that Merc has achieved.

There is rumor floating around that MB began their hybrid research much earlier, possibly as early as in 2007. BE, who has some knowledge about this subject claimed more than once that MB started much earlier than others, and in some instances assisted to FiA formulate tech. specs.

Whatever time line is, teams definitely did not started from the same baseline. What Honda produced under those conditions is close to miracle as far as I am concerned. It is not a GP2 engine (and never was).

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

There is rumor floating around that MB began their hybrid research much earlier, possibly as early as in 2007.

Exactly what I've been sayin all this while..

Merc was ready with their PU even before it was put on the table for everyone to discuss!

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

It is not a GP2 engine (and never was).

For the hardwork Honda put in, they are where they wanted to be.. Unfortunately, it wasn't any better then a GP2 engine back then.

10 hours ago, blackpebel said:

For the hardwork Honda put in, they are where they wanted to be.. Unfortunately, it wasn't any better then a GP2 engine back then.

Charge was made and popularize simply because of one badly behaving person. Engine was built as an F1 hybrid, had a lot of unleashed power, and factual data never proved it was at its low point as low as a GP engine. 

This kind of incendiary language propagated people like lipstick has only one goal in mind, to absolve and lift aura of McLaren, and put down and blame someone else, here Honda. It as a dirty game I refuse to play. McLaren has not proven they deserve to be lifted up yet. They are only beginning to improve now when Andreas Seidl is in charge, and Honda doesn't deserve to be spoken about in those defaming terms, having taken into consideration overall facts and circumstances.  

Date 2020.11.10   Time 10:23 (UTC)

F1 website posted next season provisional calendar. 

To kick the season off, I had first run over which races I may consider watching (marked in pale red), and which I will probably tune off. 23 races is for me too many. I may tune up my selection incrementally based on the season development and perhaps unexpected surprises. Germany is not on. Portugal is not on. Really good tracks are not on. I am not sure why this kind of management still continue to surprise me.

Provisional 2021 F1 calendar

• 21 March – Australia (Melbourne) ...it's must as a first race
  • 28 March – Bahrain (Sakhir)...monitoring trend - team's ranking
  • 11 April – China (Shanghai)...monitoring trend
  • 25 April – TBC (TBC)...depends...monitoring trend
  • 9 May – Spain (Barcelona)*
  • 23 May – Monaco (Monaco)
  • 6 June – Azerbaijan (Baku)
  • 13 June – Canada (Montreal)
  • 27 June – France (Le Castellet)
  • 4 July – Austria (Spielberg)
  • 18 July – United Kingdom (Silverstone)
  • 1 August – Hungary (Budapest)
  • 29 August – Belgium (Spa)
  • 5 September – Netherlands (Zandvoort)
  • 12 September – Italy (Monza)
  • 26 September – Russia (Sochi)
  • 3 October – Singapore (Singapore)
  • 10 October – Japan (Suzuka)...It is not certain yet, but I may probably attend in person. (Depends on state of pandemic).
  • 24 October – USA (Austin)
  • 31 October – Mexico (Mexico City)
  • 14 November – Brazil (Sao Paulo)*
  • 28 November – Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
  • 5 December – Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi)...last race - sure, why not?

Damn it !!!!!!!!!

They have just gone back to the plain boring seasons of old. Didn't they learn anything this year? Even the drivers said they loved the old tracks and places they hadn't been before. So much potential there, but they go and chase the money at stupid tracks none of us like.

We got fvking Bahrain again. I'm sick of it. China can p**s off, it's a horrible track and horrible even to watch on TV. NO one goes to that damn race, they have to bus in the military to sit them in the stands to make it not look like the giant turd it is.

Russia! NO THANKS.
Baku is lame.
Mexico is crapola.

I don't know about Saudi Arabia, but WTF do we have 3x races in that region now?

Date 2020.11.12   Time 6:55 (UTC)

grandprix.com

Montreal unsure F1's full 2021 calendar will be raced

Opinion:

It is safe to predict, that actual racing season calendar might significantly differ from the one initially planned (posted above). EU is on lockdown state which might very well spill into January, if not further. Vaccine by BioNTech is promising in testing, and voluntary recipients thus far do not reporting any adverse issues (knock on wood). Production on large scale and distribution however is yet to be most likely resolved. We in public don't know exact status of it.  I assume it will take time. My feeling is, that F1 will struggle with 2021 calendar in very much similar manner as they are this year. It's not over, and I think we are at least another year away from anything which we could call "normal". Good news is, smart people working on it 24/7, and patience needs to calm our minds. Hopefully there will be more companies coming up with solutions. Strengthening personal immunity as individual effort is probably good place to start. Future is not totally lost.

Date 2020.11.12   Time 16:05 (UTC)

grandprix.com

Mr. BE

Bernie Ecclestone thinks Liberty Media could be shaping up to sell Formula 1.

Yes please.

6 hours ago, Sakae said:

Bernie Ecclestone thinks Liberty Media could be shaping up to sell Formula 1.

> Bernie Ecclestone sniffin around, makin suggestions.
Next it WILL B how Liberty Media HAS devalued F1 and HOW bad F1 IS now.
Talkin the price DOWN.  Obvious strategy.
It is hardly worth anythin NOW under the current owners ...

23 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

The word U R lookin 4 IS greed (of this man).

That's our life, isn't it? Everywhere. Liberty is selling itself as a media company. What are they doing then in the F1? When MB says we want to demonstrate our technology, F1 car is one way to do that. What is however Liberty demonstrating? 

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

What are they doing then in the F1

Similar 2 Red Bull, world exposure - for a brand, just not a fizzy drink.
Libert IS media, world exposure for the media, via sky f1 !!