Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.11   Time 9:02 (UTC)

German sources:

Sebastian has taken pay-cut (allegedly down to €15MM), and it sounds like he has way out of his contract after 1 year.  That's my boy, and I can breathe again.

ditto

Sacking drivers over the phone is getting really trendy these days. Perez was afforded on call from the owner after 7 years of service. Now where did something similar happened just recently? One cannot deny we live in digital age. No time for good manners.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, KoolMonkey said:

I'm not so sure Perez wasn't told anything. Stroll and Otmar are cordial and dealt with this situation in classy manner from what I can see on the outside. Consider how Binotto the Clown dealt with Vettel...

I think Perez knew and was told, but hung onto the notion that Vettel hadn't signed *yet*, and his backers had more than likely reminded RP of the contract. But no team is going to keep Perez vs Vettel.

I'm not fully buying Perez at the moment. I think he knew, and this is just his disappointment coming out. Though I do feel for him somewhat, he will find a seat at Haas for sure I think. How Mag and Gro continue to drive for that dumpster team is beyond me. Shows they have ZERO interest to improve in any aspect of things. Compare that to RP/AM and it's clear they are gunning for big things next year.

You were spot on KM... Well done

“He did have an inkling and did know. We kept his manager informed of the process all the way through. But like I say, it wasn’t an easy decision and that is credit to him because he has done such a great job for us.

“But he was kept aware of what was going on. What he didn’t know, because the decision wasn’t made, was what the definitive action was going to be and that’s what he learned on Wednesday."

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/735461/Vettel_decision_delay_8216a_compliment_to_Perez/

Perez remarked on Thursday that he "didn't expect" to be exiled, and claimed he was not kept informed of the proceedings, a comment refuted by Szafnauer.

"We did keep Sergio up to date as well as his manager Julian [Jakobi]," he explained.

I think Perez saw the outpouring of support for Seb, even from fields and places that have been constantly critical of him, and thought he'd play the game of trying to get the same treatment.

However if you go so back as when Hulkenberg was filling in for him, looking deeper he knew way back then too. That's why he went to Mexico. Not to see his mother, but to see Carlos Slim and his sponsors.

Perez will find a seat I'm sure unless his wage demands are too high. Perez > Gro and Mag for me. Maybe Perez and Hulk at Haas if they are serious about doing better than what they are now.

I've never warmed to Perez since his time in F1 and this episode hasn't changed my view about him.

Comfortable or not, like Binotto, Newey is with RBR far too long. Dr. Marko knows that, and I think Horner might be as well. Change for the sake of change is sometimes correct remedy. Newey was away from RBR and working on other projects, but I am not convinced in his mind that he is back and focused on F1. Once mind begins wondering, fishing rod could help the situation. His name arouses emotive memories, however fact is, reasons for leaving the F1 project were design restrictions which bore him, and that has not changed. To some degree, it's actually worse. There is new design coming, but after that it's dead end for creative minds. Newey moving to AM might help initially, but on long run I am not so sure of benefits having on a payroll bored genius. Hungry younger mind might be something else, methinks.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

but on long run I am not so sure of benefits having on a payroll bored genius

The SAME reason as a fizzy drink - Marketing

The name sells. Newey HAS a marketable name - that IS what payin for.
The long run, IS to sell a product.  If the product sells, that IS the benefit.

RBR are more a sports team tham Mercedes are. Just look at the HUGE list of extreme sports this little Fizzy Drink company sponsors. It's immense. They are into these things for the fun of it, not just to sell a product.

Definitely, KM. 

The issue I think was evolving around Newey and his presumed continuing enthusiasm to design racing cars. After past couple of years I got the impression that he got slightly tired of cold water (restrictive reg.) pouring on his creativity. RBR let him to have a breather, which was kind of nice. He might now jump on this latest project (car 2022), but after that - even he probably is not sure how he will feel. What he would do for AM which is not there for him at RBR? I have no idea. Dream to revive AM to former glory? Maybe... 

Date 2020.09.12   Time 12:14 (UTC)

Frédéric Vasseur Open to Kimi Räikkönen Remaining with Alfa Romeo in 2021

That's good news IMO. Now, what is Kimi's wife thinking about it? Corona is still with us, so maybe that deferred honeymoon Kimi promised will have to wait for another year.

:D

Any new Formula 1 team wishing to join the grid in the future will be required to fork out a hefty $200 million

Is this increase from 45 to $200MM?

What happened to that idea I read on this forum how Liberty will make it easy for new teams to join F1? I guess I have wrong definition of "easy".

- on the other hand -

It reminds me of that old cliche, if you need to ask how much a yacht cost, then probably you cannot afford it anyway. Here the same, if you cannot toss 200, perhaps you are a wrong applicant for this club.

9 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

RBR are more a sports team tham Mercedes are. Just look at the HUGE list of extreme sports this little Fizzy Drink company sponsors. It's immense. They are into these things for the fun of it, not just to sell a product.

I respectfully DISAGREE
Like with tobacco advertising previously 
Motorsport IS a vehicle for RedBull brand awareness
Coke and Pepsi  HAD the monopoly on fizzy drinks 
A new product idea REQUIRES marketing  - F1 provides a global audience
Say Pepsi please

Edited by lipstick79

The things Red Bull sponsor like the guy jumping out of the balloon from space, the euro cliff diving series, proper actual extreme sports (the 2x guys base jumping into a moving airplane), plus hundreds of other ventures they have been involved with are proof enough for me that Red Bull are the premier/extreme sporting company allowing the "extreme" to be pushed the limit. Another notable mention goes to Monster for sponsoring Ken Block who puts out truly entertaining groundbreaking stuff. They don't just sell a drink, they take risks and try things with athletes that haven't been done before.

Coke and Pepsi sponsor half time Super Bowl shows only, so your point makes no sense. What have Coke and Pepsi ever sponsored with regards to sport, or anything extreme for that matter? I'm sure there's a Nascar car with stickers on it. I recall some English soccer sponsorship in the 80s/90s? and what else? They sell drinks. They make fancy videos with musicians and movie stars acting all vapid and hipster in ads like Apple do. They are bland, they promote a drink that people buy anyway without the advertising.

That's my point which you seemed to have missed. I did not say Red Bull are a sports team only and not a Drinks company. I said Red Bull are more at heart and soul driven by adventure and fun when it comes to sports they are engaged in. Their motivation isn't to move a few million more cans of Red Bull, but to be at the forefront of things that haven't been achieved yet. Mercedes on the other hand are a company driven by profit only. They are involved in motorsport only. So my statement is correct. Red Bull are more a sports company than Mercedes are.

Red Bull sponsor things even when there is no obvious ROI $$ from it, just to allow extreme sports, and impossible things to be achieved, or even just to attempt it.

2 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

The things Red Bull sponsor like the guy jumping out of the balloon from space, the euro cliff diving series, proper actual extreme sports (the 2x guys base jumping into a moving airplane), plus hundreds of other ventures they have been involved with are proof enough for me that Red Bull are the premier/extreme sporting company allowing the "extreme" to be pushed the limit. Another notable mention goes to Monster for sponsoring Ken Block who puts out truly entertaining groundbreaking stuff. They don't just sell a drink, they take risks and try things with athletes that haven't been done before.

Coke and Pepsi sponsor half time Super Bowl shows only, so your point makes no sense. What have Coke and Pepsi ever sponsored with regards to sport, or anything extreme for that matter? I'm sure there's a Nascar car with stickers on it. I recall some English soccer sponsorship in the 80s/90s? and what else? They sell drinks. They make fancy videos with musicians and movie stars acting all vapid and hipster in ads like Apple do. They are bland, they promote a drink that people buy anyway without the advertising.

That's my point which you seemed to have missed. I did not say Red Bull are a sports team only and not a Drinks company. I said Red Bull are more at heart and soul driven by adventure and fun when it comes to sports they are engaged in. Their motivation isn't to move a few million more cans of Red Bull, but to be at the forefront of things that haven't been achieved yet. Mercedes on the other hand are a company driven by profit only. They are involved in motorsport only. So my statement is correct. Red Bull are more a sports company than Mercedes are.

Red Bull sponsor things even when there is no obvious ROI $$ from it, just to allow extreme sports, and impossible things to be achieved, or even just to attempt it.

+1

I have to admit even after so many years I've observed my driver of choice drive for them, I am yet to buy and taste one of their famous drinks. Reviews I've read about the drink were mix bag of happiness.

Is Perez really going to drive for them? I wish him that chance after what he went through just a few days ago. Unfortunately there is also Hulk, so I am sitting between two chairs on that.

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

Is this increase from 45 to $200MM?

What happened to that idea I read on this forum how Liberty will make it easy for new teams to join F1? I guess I have wrong definition of "easy".

- on the other hand -

It reminds me of that old cliche, if you need to ask how much a yacht cost, then probably you cannot afford it anyway. Here the same, if you cannot toss 200, perhaps you are a wrong applicant for this club.

That's not easy...Thats whatyoucallit... Harsh. So the 200 mill gets evenly distributed to all other teams who will practically gain more advantage over the entrant. WTH

Apparently, you make up the sum of the money, plus more... with F1's "marketability". Does that sound like a good deal to you

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Apparently, you make up the sum of the money, plus more... with F1's "marketability". Does that sound like a good deal to you

Considering they have leveled the playing field a little from 2022, it would give more opportunities for the new entrants to be seen closely besides other competitors like Merc or Ferrari or Renault. For someone like Porche or Ford or what have you,, this could be a good opportunity.

But 200 mill definitely seems like a big amount. Its difficult to say if anyone would be convinced with the ticket price.

IMG_20200914_150626.thumb.jpg.ea1eb059fa7e6bfbcf1c343f3ed6c999.jpg

'RPM GOOD'

Would anyone know if this thing is allowed? I thought driver aids were prohibited.

Date 2020.09.14   Time 20:00 (UTC)

Reverse grid.

Vettel is IMO absolutely correct. None of the other drivers are capable to elucidate points as clearly as he does. Subject is related to racing instead politics, it is current, and it is precise.

If you are pushing in that direction, it’s a testimony that you failed to come up with regulations and tools that bring the field more together and make racing better on the track," said the four-time German champion when asked by RaceFans.

Exactly.

25 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.14   Time 20:00 (UTC)

Reverse grid.

Vettel is IMO absolutely correct. None of the other drivers are capable to elucidate points as clearly as he does. Subject is related to racing instead politics, it is current, and it is precise.

Exactly.

Agreed. 

"I mean, as a reminderwe had new front wing regulations which cost everybody a fortune, but ultimately haven’t changed much in terms of racing," Vettel says

29 minutes ago, Sakae said:

If you are pushing in that direction, it’s a testimony that you failed to come up with regulations and tools that bring the field more together and make racing better on the track," said the four-time German champion when asked by RaceFans.

I agree with this statement.

10 hours ago, blackpebel said:

IMG_20200914_150626.thumb.jpg.ea1eb059fa7e6bfbcf1c343f3ed6c999.jpg

'RPM GOOD'

Would anyone know if this thing is allowed? I thought driver aids were prohibited.

bp. Have u found out what this is???? Definately an aid to tell driver rpm is good??

Could be a loophole? It's not software launch control, it's simply a sign saying RPM is good thus meaning you can get launch like control if you do "things/actions" at exact timings.

Date 2020.09.16   Time 5:21 (UTC)

We would not have survived without going hybrids...

Typical F1 writing. Sensationalism, finger-pointing, and no substance.

I've read the article 3 times, and can someone explain to me following:

1. Why F1 would not have survived?

2. Why it is necessary to "steal" 200MM from VW (example of an entrant), and handed over to their rivals, Liberty, and FiA?

I am not sure that really understand that Mr.Todt actually explained exactly those two point, or writer to actually bother to write it down. Statements like times are changing, oh, BIG news.

Was F1 warned by various tracks that they may be prevented from obtaining racing licenses due to environmental concerns? Can you elaborate? Why smoke from F1 engine (once a year on each location) is different from other exhaust smokes? 

Was FiA (and CVC) facing possibility that big money contributors were threatening to pull out which would have placed F1 on very lean honey pot - a true reason why there was such impactful technology change?

About money, I have probably missed some older articles explaining why greed is necessary.

Date 2020.09.19   Time 5:26 (UTC)

TOMBAZIS: ENGINE LEGALITY IS HARD TO POLICE

Ensuring the legality of Formula 1 engines at all times has become a particularly difficult task in the V6 turbo-hybrid era, admits FIA technical director Nikolas Tombazis.

An ongoing concern for F1’s governing body, Tombazis explains that the sophistication of the power units makes it hard to be sure teams are staying above board on a lap-by-lap basis.

Thank you for this confirmation.

To teams I say, I have no idea what Ferrari did or didn't do to their engine, but rest of you don't throw stones while living in glass houses. We all know F1 operates on fine technical border-line between being legal and illegal, and your engines weren't tested the same way as Ferrari's was. You weren't asked for implementing amended changes as Ferrari was. Hard to say from sidelines you guys are all clean, despite saint faces you put on as masks of innocence. You just managed feeding to hatred by fans, drag Ferrari's name in mud, yet for what? I doubt you just want to read the Settlement Agreement. IMO in reality you want to force FiA revealing nitty-gritty how the engine is built at Maranello, while you are hiding yours technical secrets. Give me a break. Snake pit it is.

To FiA I say, don't make laws you cannot securely enforce to state obvious, but I doubt common sense will stop you.